The Crossroad

The Crossroad [ONE SHOT]

Yeonri sighed as she flipped a few pages of her notes, then stared at the teacher at the front of the auditorium. She hates lectures. Almost half her class skipped the lecture, and even her friends ditched her for freedom. Annoyed, she crumpled a piece of foolscap, tucking it away in her file. The exit door behind her opened loudly, as a tall and familiar person entered. Way too familiar. He slammed the door shut, gaining attention from everyone in the auditorium. He smirked a little, then plopped down next to Yeonri. The teacher ignored him, and continued teaching. Yeonri shot him a timid glare, then force her attention back to the teacher's boring talk.

"Is the talk interesting?" He asked. Yeonri ignored him, scribbling down notes. "I'm talking to you, Kim Yeonri!" He shouted. You look nervously at the teacher, then at him. Then the students started to whisper among them. You hate this. And this guy over here is always bringing you unwanted attention. You want to tell him to shut up right in his face, but his social status in this school does not allow her to do so. Yeonri sighed and mumbled,"Please keep quiet." She stared back at the front of the auditorium, where the teacher is. "What did you say? Keep q--" He was cut off by the teacher's commanding voice,"Lee Sung Jong! Kim Yeon Ri! Please, get out." Yeonri bit her lower lip, shooting Sungjong a glare with her watering eyes.

It's the first time she is chased out of class, considering the fact that she is an honor student. She grabbed her things and ran out of the auditorium in embarrassment. "Why did you do that?" She asked out loud, looking at Sungjong. "Because i like it." He replied plainly. She stared at him. He has dark brown eyes that are perfectly shaped, a high and straight nose, and a mouth with nice pink lips. No wonder he is a kingka in this school. Despite the pretty boy looks, he have nothing. Zero. His personality is like crap, and his moral values are all screwed up. She knew him since she was 10, and they aren't the best of friends, even after such a long time. She refused to mix with him, and neither do he want to mix with a nerd. So why is he stuck to her now, as if magnets are pulling them together?

"What? I have something on my face?" He asked, touching his face. "No. Go away." Yeonri said coldly, walking towards her house. Well, since she is chased out of class, it means that she is no longer needed in school, right? "Too bad, i walk the same way home." He stuck his tongue out and walked next to her. "Since when?" She raised her eyebrow, shooting him a look. "Since... now." He grinned, combing his hand through his hair. The two of them walked in silence, until they reached the crossroad. "I'll walk a different route from here. Bye, see you tomorrow!" He smiled and waved, walking towards the town area. Probably to meet his friends. She waved emotionlessly, then walked back home. She have no idea what to feel now. For once she felt like she has some attention on her, but at the same time, she feel her heart beating too fast when they talk. Too fast to the point that it's bad. She sighed again, returning home.

For the next few days, he seemed to have ditched his friends. For her. He waits for her by her locker before school, then at the gates after school and at her class during breaks. He forces her to eat with his kingka group, and made her sit with him in classes that they attend together. The worse thing is that they walk to school and home together everyday.

"You are annoying, Lee Sungjong. Stop following me." Yeonri finally mustered up the courage to tell him this. His facial expression darkened, but he still kept a small smile, saying,"Oh, sure." To be very honest, he have a really good personality. It that he don't get close to people easily, and he usually deceives others with his cool look. "I'm sorry." Yeonri quickly said after she see his face fall. "No, i should be sorry. I'm always annoying you. See you around." He said cooly, walking away. Yeonri sighed. She felt bad about telling him to stay away, but she really hates being chased out of class everyday and all the attention from their fans are crazy. She went for her next class, which happened to have Sungjong in it. Who knows, he did not attend the class. "Yeonri, where is your friend?" The teacher teased, smirking a little. "I have no idea." She shrugged, keeping quiet. It is the truth, but she feel that it is her fault that he didn't come to class.

After school, she went all around to find him, but to no avail. Yeonri gave up and went home, still worried. She is at the crossroad, when someone at the opposite side caught her attention. Its a guy, in her school's uniform. Lee Sungjong? She tilted her head as the guy lifted a board, which says 'I'. Then he raised another board. A heart shape. Then another one. 'U'. A smile spread across Yeonri's face, as she joined the three boards together mentally. The owner of the boards revealed his face, and Yeonri recognized him immediately. It's Sungjong.

Her eyes widened. Since when did he like her? Since when...? Was this why he kept following her around? He dropped the boards, a huge grin on his face, as he made a heart with his arms, over his head. Yeonri did not know how to reply. It's the first time someone confessed to her. She blushed, smiling. She was about to cross the road to meet him when he raise his hand, telling her to stop, and wait for him. Yeonri beamed and nodded. He gathered the boards, and then his bag, then hurriedly crossed the road.

That's when the nightmare happened. A truck, whose driver failed to notice Sungjong, sped past, and brought Sungjong with him. Yeonri screamed, seeing Sungjong lying lifelessly on the road. She ran towards him, tears streaming down like waterfall.

"Sungjong-ah! Sungjong-ah!"

Her screams on that significant day are still etched on her mind.

The memory was both beautiful, and horrifying.

Although she didn't get to didn't date him, she will still cherish the days they spent together...