Chapter 1

The Unwinding Cable Car.

 

 

 

                        Deciding it’s time to rest your eyes from the intense study session you had just completed, you step out for a breath of fresh air.  The air today is warm and carries a slight breeze which drags along a pleasant scent, cinnamon maybe?  You take in a deep breath, holding it within your lungs for a long moment, before releasing the gases back into the atmosphere from which it had come.  It was a long day: you spent all of it cramming for your college exams; the only things separating you from your senior year at SNU. 
                        You loved college; everything about it seemed to fit you perfectly, studying abroad was the best decision you had ever made.  Sure your parents weren’t terribly thrilled at the idea, but they saw your passion, and your drive, and because you kept your grades exceptionally high, as promised, they allowed you to attend the university you had been bending over backwards to get into.
                        You were studying to be a registered nurse—bilingual—so that you could help with the foreigners and tourists that frequently visited the various hospitals scattered throughout South Korea.  Your sophomore classes were Molecular Biology, Applied Chemistry, Statistics, Hangul IV, and Anatomy.  Your diligence through your freshman year had allowed you to relax a bit this year, only having to take five classes instead of the usual six.  Although your classes were fewer, the workload seemed as intense as ever.  Not to mention you worked part-time as well.
                        You were employed at a local coffee shop only a few blocks away from the miniscule apartment you were staying at—formerly belonging to your current boss, Mr. Cho.  You and your boss had a phenomenal relationship, allowing you to quickly rise through the barista ranks: you had gone from busboy (or busgirl) to cashier within a matter of days.  You loved your boss, and felt absolutely blessed at the many opportunities he gave you.  Knowing you were attending school, your boss, the owner, allowed you much flexibility with your schedule.  You worked five days a week, two hours a day for three days, and five hours on the weekends, all the while being paid the same as an average employee, not to mention the “discount” he gave you on your apartment.
                        The apartment you were staying in was small, that you couldn’t deny.  The front door opened immediately into the kitchen—decorated with all sorts of unique odds and ends you found interesting and had collected through your travels; the dinette spawned off openly to the left—a small table with two chairs, a napkin holder placed directly in the middle of the glossy stand.  Beyond that lay a small white loveseat directly facing a small television set mounted on the wall.  To the left of the screen was a door which led into the bathroom.  To the right of the couch was a door which led to the bedroom.  There, you truly felt at ease.  The walls were painted a light green like mint chocolate chip ice cream; a small window was placed in the center of the eastern wall—allowing you to see the sunrise every morning.  White carpet covered the floors and was hidden in a few spots by light oak furniture.  A nightstand was to the left of your bed, allowing you easy access to your alarm clock, and an armoire was to the right.  As small as the room was, there was hardly space for anything else.
                        As said before, you really couldn’t complain.  At the most you only had maybe two friends over at a time, neither of which stayed the night.  All in all, you were content, proud that you were finally out from under your parents’ wings, and living the life you truly desired.
                        Deciding the weather was too nice for you to be cooped up inside all night, you went back to your apartment to grab a light cardigan and locked the door before heading out for an evening walk.

 

                        You were wearing white sneakers with your favorite light blue denim skinny jeans and a pale yellow top now covered a bit by the grey cardigan you had just put on.  You looked simple enough and were actually quite satisfied with your appearance. Your hair was tied loosely into a bun at the nape of your neck with a light blue ribbon.  Makeup was a no-go today and your earrings were simple, yet elegant, pearls. Unsure of the time, you pull out your phone to check, 7:30 already?  Where has the day gone?
                        It was still light outside, but dark enough to where the streetlamps were on and beaming rays of artificial light down over the still crowded sidewalks.  There weren’t as many people out as there normally were, but the sidewalks were nonetheless full.
                        Rounding the corner the mood for an iced latte struck.  Hard.  As if contemplating, you paused a moment to gather your thoughts.  I’ll just get one to go.
                        Now skipping along the streets you made your way to the small café where you worked and greeted the doorman warmly.  “Hello, Yejun,” you addressed him warmly, offering a genuine smile as you walked through the open door.  “Thank you, Yejun,” you expressed with a deep bow.  You were fond of the boy, he was like the older brother you never had.  Being an only child made you feel a bit lonely, a void which Yejun happily filled.
                        Arriving at the counter you place your order: “One tall iced latte please, Sohee,” you say, “oh, with an extra shot of espresso!” you add winking.
                        “Coming right up, babe!” Sohee confirms, hurrying to make your drink.  Taking out the exact amount required for the bill, you placed it on the counter with a yawn.  You were going to need that extra shot.
                         “All right!” Sohee called, handing over the cool liquid.  “Hey, my shift is over in half an hour, if you hang around we can catch a movie or something after,” Sohee suggested with a casual shrug of her shoulders.  She was so carefree and always up for something fun, that’s what you loved about her.
                        Knowing you had hours of studying left, you felt a bit surprised when you heard the words “Sounds fun!” pour out of your mouth.  She must have read your expression because she countered you immediately.
                        “Are you sure?  We don’t have to, you know, we can make plans some other time.”
                        “Oh, it’s fine,” you assure her, carefully sipping your beverage.  “I’ll check the listings.”
                        You headed left towards the cushioned seats scattered throughout the café, selecting a round white one, your personal favorite, before plopping into it.  Pulling out your phone, you checked for movies starting at 8:15, or just after.
                        Without warning, you felt a finger tap your shoulder, followed by a deep voice.  “Miss?” the voice asked gingerly.
                        “Yes?” you asked, tilting your head up to face the man trying to get your attention.
                        “I think you left this at the counter by mistake,” he says, extending his right arm to you, a small card in hand.
                        “My I.D.,” you breathe.  “I didn’t know I took this out of my wallet, thank you,” you say dearly.  “Thank you very much,” you repeat while tucking it away safely.
                        “It fell out of your back pocket,” he said almost as if he could read your mind.  “Not that I was looking at your or anything…” he adds quickly, a red tint slowly spreading across his face.  He scratches his head.
                        “Oh,” you let out a small giggle.  “Is there some way I can repay you?” you ask.
                        “Well,” the man says while clearing his throat.  “You can come see a movie with me?”
                        “Tonight?” you inquire, remembering the plans you had just made with Sohee.
                        “No,” he answers quickly, “I overheard your conversation with the cashier.  I’m assuming you’re friends?  We can see it whenever you like.”
                        “Well, I’m really busy this week.  How about we do it Friday?  We can meet here before the movie.”               
                        “That sounds great!” he responds enthusiastically.  “It’s a date!”  He smiles, revealing almost all of his teeth, his eyes gleaming.
                        “It’s a date!” you repeat.

 

 

                        “Hey!” Sohee called from behind the counter, hanging up her apron.  “Who was that hunk you were talking to?”
                        “Oh, no one,” you mutter, turning a bright shade of crimson.
                        “It didn’t look like a “no one” to me, he was practically falling all over you,” Sohee counters, linking her arm with yours as the two of you head towards the theatres.
                        “Well,” you start off cautiously, “I have a date with him Friday night.”