1

Moments

This was the same night routine both of them would go through. Hyerin, who is a college dropout, would always go to the Han River at nighttime when the stars would be out. She would light a cigarette for herself at approximately midnight and take a look at the blue waters waving towards each other. By the time she got to her second cigarette, a well-dressed man who was possibly drunk who went by the name Kim Myungsoo arrived with another one of his humorous greetings.

His greeting would always remind her of their first meeting. Their first time meeting each other at the Han River was of course, a moment to remember. It was when Hyerin had seen Myungsoo was when his mouth was disgustingly close to her earlobe. She had reflexively thrown her lit cigarette onto Myungsoo's well-tailored black pants.

"Hey! Do you know how much these pants cost?" She could smell the alcohol coming from the stranger's mouth as her face scrunched up shortly afterwards. She started to get agitated by the fact that this drunken man was disturbing her quiet time.

"Why was your mouth even near me?" Suddenly, he walked closer and closer to her as she repeatedly warned him that she will indeed kick his nuts if he doesn't stop. 

"What's a young lady like you doing out here in the wee hours of night?" He responded by ignoring her question. They both smirked simultaneously but the young man's smirk quickly faded as he fell over on his knees while clutching onto his lower area.

"Didn't I warn you? That's what you get for trying to get into my pants, ert." She had an expression of accomplishment as she took out another cigarette.

It turns out the young man was just trying to scare her since he muttered the fact that he wanted to be alone that night. She thought she had no right to ask him what was wrong so she remained steady and only opened to puff out smoke. As if on cue, he began to pour out his emotions on different issues he had experienced to this stranger. But, she didn't mind. All she did was listen anyway.

- - -

 

"...and next thing I knew, she packed her bags and left me." Hyerin snapped back to reality after mentally chuckling at reminiscing their first meeting. She was met by Myungsoo's muffled cries. Should she pat his back? After all, both of them were still strangers even though the past weeks they would always meet at night.

It would always be the same story - Myungsoo cheating on a random girl he claimed to love which resulted him to drink and meet Hyerin at the river. It was surprisingly how Myungsoo had never hit on Hyerin yet. Hyerin tapped Myungsoo's shoulder awkwardly and offered him a cigarette. Myungsoo shook his head and wiped his tears with his sleeve. 

"Isn't your life perfect Hyerin? You're pretty, you're a nice listener and you're just a good person in general. Why do you even smoke?" She was shocked by his choice of words. He doesn't know her. He doesn't know anything about her. How would he know if her life was perfect or not?

"Excuse me?" It seemed like Myungsoo regretted his words. Myungsoo stared into Hyerin's eyes, as if sending an apology. Hyerin responded by puffing out smoke into his face.

- - -

"I'm afraid this lung cancer had already reached up to stage three. We've given you medication already so why aren't you taking it?" Hyerin didn't dare look into her doctor's eyes and stayed steady. 

"It's stress-relieving." Hyerin replied with a fake smile. Of course it wasn't stress relieving. Sure, it was at first but now she's stressed of smoking. Hyerin isn't definitely proud of her addiction either.

- - -

"Was I not pretty enough? Was I not good enough? Tell me! We're over!" A brunette slapped Myungsoo's face as he picked up his remaining clothes from the worn-out couch. As always, the same apology spoke from his mouth - "Sorry, I was drunk." 

- - -

 

"Now what's a young lady like you doing out here at such a late night?" A teasing voice called out. She took out the cigarette with her index and middle finger from for a brief second before turning around. Her lips formed a smirk at the sight of a well-dressed man who was slouching over the bench located next to her. She took a look at this man - he had glistening chestnut colored eyes along with a perfectly structured nose and pink lips. 

"Got caught red handed again?" She asked, still not wiping the smirk off of her face. Proceeding to sit on the wooden bench beside her, he nodded and opened his mouth to explain.

"I'm wondering, why do you cry after you cheat on the girl? It didn't seem like you even loved her." She asked after he finished talking about what happened earlier. Myungsoo replied with a, "I guess I'm mentally ed up." After a brief moment of silence, Myungsoo spoke up.

"So what's going on in your life?" This was a first to Hyerin. He never really asked about her life out of all the times they talked to each other at night. The corners of Hyerin's lips moved upwards.

"Where should I start?"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: This is my third fic (3shot)and I still have to continue the other ones...ugh. This idea has been in my head quite a while and don't blame me if this is boring. I just like writing. I have a review shop here.