Memory

7:34

PRESENT

It was a very typical day for me as I came back on the same place we've been together. Memories might be hurtful but it was something worthy to be kept and never be forgotten.

As the cold breeze blew that made me shiver, my eyes search for our bench -  I want to call it that way 'coz it brings back the happy memories we've shared. Luckily, I found it empty and walked till I reach on our bench.

Few minutes later, the sun will set, that reminds me of our promise since we we're kids. Then, a song flashed on my mind and began singing it as tears started to stream down on my cheeks.

nuneul gamgo deuroyo jakgo gipeun sumsori
-I can hear even with my eyes closed , the small and deep breaths
maeumnotgo swioyo ine mannayo
-Just Rest, and we'll meet inside 
jageunjageun kkumne-eum
-The small small dream
soriomneun bamne-eum
-In the quiet night
jogeumjogeum utgo inne joheun kkumeul kkunabwa
-Dream a good dream with little little smiles
negen kkumiji noreul baraboneun ironpunggyong
-It's a Dream for me when I see you in a Scenery of my dream 
goulgateun nimoseubi negen jonbuya
-Like a Mirror, your reflection is my everything
hosugateun noyepumi naye jibiya
-Your product, like the Lake, is my shelter 
jaljayo jajang naye saranga
-Sleep well, hush, my love
jaljayo jajang naye saranga
-Sleep well, hush, my love

(Lullaby - Tim/ Cover by IU)

 

1 YEAR AGO

"Aish. Better be hurry Nana or you're gonna stained your clean record." I hissed on myself as I ran to my first class. I was really struggling with all my books and art materials that I improperly cradled on my chest.

Just a few steps away from our building...

"Yah!.." I shouted as I fell back and all my things clattered on the ground - my books, paint brushes and OH-MY-GOODNESS... my paints are now painting the green grass with rainbow colors.

A guy with a tousled hair who's riding a mountain bike just glared at me then passed by like I was nothing.

"Hey, no sorry at all? Thanks!" as I yell after him but hever looked back.

 

With what-else-can-I-do-sigh, I gathered my things. No one even bothers to help me. Is it because I just broke up with the CAMPUS HEARTHROB - ChanYeol? I don't think so. But who cares if we're not now the PERFECT COUPLE known in the university.

But, honestly, I regretted breaking up with him 'coz I still have feelings for him. But, the fact remained that I'm still the most admired and best student here.

Hello? Any concerned citizen out here?

Nah! Just forget it.

 

I was panting hardly as I reached our room and gripped on the door frame for a support. Of course, I'm defintely dead. Now all their eyes are on me.

"Ms. Jung, I least expect you to be late. I'll give you this first and last chance. Go to your seat. Quickly!" with an authoritative tone.

I went to my seat on the last row, beside the window and definitely the last seat.

 

Mr. Yoon instructed us to bring out our materials for our project - to make a pop art using poster paint as our medium. But because of that rude guy. Now I have to ask Hyuna - my ulzzang bestfriend - to share with her paint.

"Hyuna, can I share with you?" pouting my lips on her with my puppy eyes.

She narrowed her eyes on me and slap my .

"Ouch! what was that for?" I flinched on my place.

"For not bringing your own." smirking at me.

I childishly stomped my feet on the floor and said, "I brought. But it broke when I fell and I have nothing to use now. Please." grabbed her hand and persuade her more.

She bit her lip as if thinking then pinched my cheeks after a few seconds, "You really caught me off guard."

 

On my own place, I set up my drawing stand and put my illustration board to start sketching. Then I felt uncomfortable as I caught someone looking at me.

My eyes grew on circles as I recognized the face.

That was him. Then he looked again at me with a crooked smile.

Aish. So cocky. I rolled my eyes on him and continued on my masterpiece. I'll deal with you later.

 

"Kim Jong In." someone spoke. I lifted my head and saw the cocky rude guy this morning offering a handshake.

"I'm new here." he continued.

"I'm old here." I said wiothout looking at him with a smirk on my face.

Then, as I point my pencil on the board, It slid down on it that made a hard descending thin line on my board.

"Hey, put back my illustration board!" I protested and stood up.

"I said I-am-Kim-Jong-In." he insisted, still offering his hand on me.

I took back my board on his hand and said, "I don't care who you are and aside from that you broke my paints and didn't even say sorry for it."

With folded arms, the tall guy said, " Then, I'm sorry. happy?" as he ended with a smirk and turned his back at me. As I heard him mumbled, "Slowpoke."

My mouth fell open in disbelief as my body heat rises up in anger, "This guy really pisses me off."

 

My nightmare has just begun and it continued in the cafeteria. I sat on my usual place, in the middle- eating my clubhouse and drinking my canned orange juice.

"Aish... why are they all interested with that jerk? with that lazy hair and lousy offwhite shirt, bet he didn't take a bath." chuckling on myself. He was just sitting four tables away from my seat and seeing the students giggles, smiles and blushes on him really annoys me.

"Isn't he cute?" as hyuna spoke at my back.

I rolled my eyes on her, "I don't find him that way. Why did you took so long?" as I take a bite on my sandwich.

She sat beside me and said, "Mianhe... Well, you're just the kill joy here." sticking out her tongue on me.

 

"Hi!" as Chanyeol oppa waved at me, walking closer at our seat.

In front of him, I could really say my thought now is fangirling and my face are now turning to a cherry pink. He still has the same effect on me.

Then he stood up in front of us then smile too at Hyuna, "Are you busy this weekend?" smiling at me sweetly.

"I-I am s-sorry. I'll be very busy this weekend." I babbled.

Oh no Nana, not again! almost shout at myself.

Stupid mouth, you always tell the opposite of what I want!, as I gnaw my lips.

"Is that so?.." as his eyes saddened.

"Oh your lips are bleeding." his deep husky voice soothes me as he reach out for my lips, wiping the blood on it with his hanky. He really still cares about me.

I shuddered, "Don't do that again, you'lll hurt yourself. Bye. " Turned his back at me with a smile and walked away.

"I thought you just broke up?" Hyuna seemed confused, raising an eyebrow on me.

"Ne." shrugged it off and continued eating.

 

I lifted my head and looked in front of me. The guy with crooked smile just winked at me.

"He winked?" I almost gawked and shook my head then blink for several times.

I looked up and asked, "Lord, am I a bad girl and he is my karma?" faceplaming myself.

 

My 3rd day of the 3rd week in 2nd year college just ended fast. I finished my dinner and dive to my bed with my teddy bear. I snuggled it as I remembered that Jong In. I stared on the ceiling as confusion clouded my head. I can say that I'm totally pissed off with him but when he winked at me, it somehow cooled down the heat on him.

No Nana, not him okay?

But, what I'm really thinking of is.. Will I confess to Chan tomorrow?

I took the pink envelope sealed with heart sticker over my side drawer and lifted it up.

"Letter, do the talking tomorrow." I smiled at myself, hoping that I can tell him waht I feel.

 

 

Now, this is the day.

After my third class, I darted out of our room as I hurriedly went to their building. I waited under the cherry blossom tree and looked for him from the faces of the students.

Then my face turned red as strawberries as soon as Chan Yeol saw me, revealing a wide smile that I really loved about him. He ran towards me, "You wanted to talk to me right?"

My heart beat faster as I search for the right words to begin with. "I... I just wanted to .." faltering as I took out the pink envelope from my sweater's pocket but hid it right away on my back as I saw an arm cling on his arm. I looked up and saw my ulzzang bestfriend - Hyuna - on Chan's side, smiling so sweetly at me.

"By the way, Nana, Hyuna is now my girlfriend. You're friends right?"

Ouch! something just struck on my chest. I crumpled my letter on my back as I fight back a tear to escape from my eyes.

"Y-yes. I think I have to go now." felt my lips trembled as I saw Hyuna smirked at me.

"I thought you want to talk to me." as Chan reach out his hand on me but I stepped back.

"M-maybe n-next time will do." turned my back at them as I try to walk straight but my knees really shook that I almost tumble on the trash can.

"They're perfect together."

"Yup, How I wish I was her."

Murmurs about the new perfect couple echoes on my mind and pounds my heart more.

 

On the rooftop, I've shouted and cried as loud as I can. Letting my anger and pain to go out. Tears rolled down unstoppably on my cheeks.

"You! my backstabber bestfriend! I thought we're friends but why did you do this to me?" As I gripped on the fence.

 

"Hey, noisy girl. Would you just cry silently? I'm having my nap here."

 

I heard someone spoke. I turned and saw Jong In sitting on the floor, leaning lamely on the wall with his eyes still droopy. I shot a death glare at him with my eyes still blurry. "Silently? You don't know what happened."

"I know what happened." he stood up and dusted off his jeans and walked towards me.

"Do you really love him? Or you just love the idea of loving him?" aked me with a very cold voice with his face leaning just few inches from mine.

I gulped, then bit my lips. "It's none of your business."

I walked passed him but he grabbed my hand, "Don't you really remember me?" his brows pulled together.

"What the hell is your problem?" I scowl at him as I fought his grip on me.

"You and your forgetfulness!" he shouted then released me.

He stared at me and held both hands my shoulders, "Look at me."

My cheeks are flaming red as this annoying guy lean more on my face but I obeyed him. I shyly set my eyes on him and stared at him. My brows contracted as I try to squeeze out the memories.

My mouth fell open and to my excitement, my arms automatically wrapped on Jong In's body. Feeling the longing scent of my first crush...my first kiss and my first love - it was him.

"Kkamjon-ah! I hate you." as tears rolled down on my cheeks again and punched him on his arm.

"No matter how forgetful you are, you are still my Nana."as he held my face both hands and pressed his thumbs softly, wiping off the tears on my cheeks.

"You're still a crybaby." teasing me.

 

It's almost 10 years and it really gives me a hard time remembering the details. All I remembered were,  we left Seoul to migrate to Philippines for my parents' business to to have enough money for my memory disorder. And this guy in front of me was a part of my buried memories and almost forgotten.