Do or Die p.1

Tumbling Down (undergoing re-write)

 

After the competition, Michiyo decided to pay Nezumi another visit in the hospital. The guys might have lot the competition this time but her team managed to get first place. And just to shove it in her face that she should have followed their advice and just stay in bed instead of coming to the competition.

Keeping her manners, she gently knocked on the hospital room door, waiting for a sound from within that would grant her permission to enter. But there was none, and although she would usually try again later or leave it be, this time she decided to march into the room herself. Maybe Nezumi was sleeping; well it wouldn’t be that bad if she would wake her from that and even if Nezumi wouldn’t take her disturbed nap for the better, Michiyo barely cared about that.

But the room was completely dark and empty, beside the hospital furniture. Not a soul inside the room. She switched on the lights and looked around. It didn’t really seem that anyone else had already gotten this room, and she doubted that Nezumi was released this quickly. Then again she wondered if Nezumi hadn’t left or been moved to a different room since the only thing left on the bed was a small teddy bear and she couldn’t really imagine Nezumi walking around with that. But then she noticed something else about the stuffed animal. A little note was attached to the bow of the bear, and it had her name on it. Nezumi must have left that there.

She sat down on the bed and took the note from the animal, folding it open and slowly starting to read it.

 

“Kinoko-atama e,

I knew you would come here. At least, I surely hope it is you that is reading this letter. Otherwise the person reading this should stop reading and put the letter back where I left it. It’s rude to read other’s people’s letters without permission and you certainly haven’t got mine!

But I suspect that by the time you’re reading this, you’ve probably found out that I am no longer in the hospital where everyone so desperately wants me to be. But what can I say, I can’t stay in one place for too long, I don’t have that kind of patience.

Alright, I am getting way off topic here so let’s cut to the chase.

I have decided to take Saburou up on his challenge. After you left he came by and offered me something I just couldn’t refuse; one final battle between the two of us. If he wins which I assume he will, he promised that he would leave all of you alone. He would go back with the gang and never get in your way. And if I would win, which is unlikely, his gang would not seek revenge for that either. So it’s a win-win situation. Well, at least for you guys it is. I might be losing my life but at least it’s for a good cause. Mizumi would be proud of me, thinking of others for a change, wouldn’t she?

I suppose, by the time you are reading this, Wataru has read his letter as well. I am sorry this is all so sudden but it’s not like we were actually friends or anything. So you should be thankful I took the time to write this. I hate writing letters.

Please take care, and give poor Ryosuke a break for once.

~ Nezumi”

 

“Nezumi… Anata wa hontoni baka desu…” she sighed as she folded the piece of paper and slid inside her pocket as she got up from the bed and moved back to the door. What was that girl thinking, going off on one last fight with Saburou which she was sure to lose? Did she actually believe that this guy, the person who had viciously killed her friend and Michiyo’s sister and blamed it all on someone else, would actually keep his promise? Was it an act of desperation of foolishness?

She made it outside the hospital gates when she spotted an unlikely bunch in a hurry. So Nezumi was right, they had read the other letter. What were they planning on doing? Trying to stop her? Trying to save her? Did they actually feel that they were still on time?

“Oi! Chotto matta!” she called and as her voice reached one of the boys, the others followed his example and stopped, looking for the one who called out to them.

“Ah! Michiyo-chan…”

“We don’t have time right now,” Wataru growled as he wanted to sprint of again.

“Nezumi, ne?” she said in the same serious tone of voice she usually spoke to them.

Wataru stopped and turned back to look at her again with a slightly confused look that she actually knew about this. The questionable look in his eyes was enough for her to understand and she held out her letter to the red haired yankee.

“It’s an honorable deed… but she’s so naïve to actually believe in Saburou’s words… She should know better than that,” she stated calmly as she watched Wataru run through the letter.

“She should, but she didn’t…” Yuta nodded.

Wataru once again crumbled the letter in his fist out of anger and frustration. He didn’t quite know what frustrated him more. That Nezumi was foolish enough to break the promise she forced him to make and go seek Saburou on her own or the fact that Saburou had messed everything up so badly that a street smart girl like Nezumi would go to such means just to protect everyone else, believing in a promise that Saburou will probably never honor. Either way, something must be done and they had to move fast before it really was too late.

He dropped the letter onto the ground and dashed off again.

“Wataru! Wait!” but the boy was already up ahead and didn’t listen to anyone else anymore. Michiyo turned to the others. “That boy is just a stupid as Nezumi.”

“Yes, well…” Ryosuke placed his hand on her shoulder and grinned. “We’d rather be stupid enough to help out our friends in need than stay back and hide as cowards,” after that said he dashed passed her and followed Wataru. The others soon followed his lead. All of them were determined to help Nezumi out even though none of them really actually had any sort of relationship with her other than the occasional teasing that she made a living of. The girl who had brought this upon all of them and was finally going to take responsibility for it, they were actually going to risk their own lives?

“Mizumi would be proud…” she sighed after which she dashed after the group, heading for their deaths most likely. But she was involved too, and even she wanted Saburou to pay for what he did to her sister, and even though Nezumi would deny it with all her might, she had considered them as friends. Sure, both of them teased each other but that was just in their character and there was nothing that could change that.


 

They were standing eye in eye in the middle of the room. Saburou’s grunts had formed a spectators circle around the two of them, weapons at the ready for whenever their leader signaled them to fall in to make the fight even more unfair.

In his cold eyes were the twinkling lights of pure amusement. He was ready for this because he knew that there was no way she was ever going to stand a chance against him. He had her right where he wanted and all he had to do now was have some fun. And to Saburou there was nothing more fun than torturing someone within his evil grasp.

His opponent on the other hand was anything but ready for this fight. She had fought many times before with the slightest of ease and it was safe to say she was one of the more skilled people on the streets. But she knew Saburou all too well; if not from the time that she, herself was part of his group, then from the stories that her friend and leader had once told her. She knew she wouldn’t stand a chance but it was something like desperation that had led her to this final decision. It was either her or them. And she was not about to let another innocent life fall into his hands, no matter if she actually liked them or not.

She closed her eyes briefly and took a breath. She had to remind herself that this was the only way. This was all that was left that she could do for herself, for Mizumi.

“Scared?” she heard him say and opened her eyes again. “You know, I could make it fast and easy for you if you give up now…” he tilted his head.

“I’ll never give up,” she replied. “Even it’ll cost me my life.”

“Mizumi taught you well,” he smirked. “She never allowed cowering ... But still she was too kindhearted to those who were too weak which led to her downfall.”

“Urusai yo!” she growled as she launched herself forwards. She was tired of him speaking in such a tone, mentioning Mizumi as if he had the right to do so. And the more he spoke, the more she loathed him. Even though the chances were so small and she had always been told that she shouldn’t let it come that far, if she had the chance to kill Saburou herself she wouldn’t back down. He deserved the same fate as he decided Mizumi deserved. And she was willing to risk everything to get this to happen.

At the first strike she pulled her hand into a fist and launched it towards his face. He merely raised his arm and with his opened hand caught her fist tightly as he flung his other hand forwards, straight into her stomach with quite some force, releasing her other hand which caused her to stumble backwards for a moment. She quickly regained her balance and launched forwards again, but before she could even lay out a punch he had moved aside in one fast, slight move and elbowed her back, causing her to launch even further forwards and hit the ground.

“Come now, Nezumi, you must be able to do better than that…” he smirked as he crossed his arms and watched as she got back to her feet and turned around with a glare.

He was even stronger and more prepared than the last time she had fought him. She had underestimated him. She had figured that, with all these people around him to do the dirty work, he had time to do absolutely nothing but sit and watch. But while the others were doing his job, he spent the time training and perfecting himself. Something she had not expected, Saburou was so convinced of his strength that she thought he wouldn’t bother doing something as training.

“I am just warming up…” she replied. This was a downhill battle. No way she was going to be able to defeat him but at least she could buy herself some time. She wanted to go down the right way, the way a true Yankee should. In a battle she had chosen to fight, not one she had been drawn into.

With a cry she launched forwards again, her fists at the ready as she closed the gap between them. Saburou mimicked her movement, launching himself forwards as well. Nezumi turned her upper body slightly, raising her elbow and aimed it for his gut, pushing him back with all the strength she could. As she stood sideways and managed to get Saburou to step back, she continued turning, raising her left leg into the air as she tried to kick him. But Saburou had been expecting this, he raised his right arm to block to kick, then used his left arm to grab hold of her ankle, pulling her leg to the side with such force that he momentarily managed to lift her off the ground and launched her into a pile of boxes.

She managed to stand her ground quickly, leaning against the boxes for moment as Saburou made his way over to her, launching his right first forwards and impacting with her jaw which caused her to stumble aside once more. This punch was followed by his left foot kicking against the back of her knees causing her to get down on her knees. She let out a soft cry as he grabbed the back of her head, taking good hold of the black hoodie she was wearing as he lifted her up onto her feet and pulled her back. As she stumbled back to regain her balance, Saburou gave her no time as he flung forwards with his fist that made contact with her gut, forcing all of the air out of her body and as she bend over to grasp her waist and gasped for air, she felt the sudden force of strength pressing against the side of her head as he had kicked her to the side.

As she lay there, grasping her stomach and desperately gasping for air while the bitter taste of blood filled , he approached her once more, lifting his right foot slightly and forced if against her side, kicking her hard enough to roll over and cry out in pain. She felt the wound that had been stitched up sting and she knew that it had only become worse.

“Tsk. Pathetic,” he scoffed as he watched her with a glare as she was desperately trying to get up again. “Do yourself a favor and just give up.”

She coughed, spitting out some of the blood that had dripped from the corner of as she slowly crawled back up to her feet, trying to keep her balance, “Never,” she hissed as she glared at him once more. She felt exhausted, the sting of her wounds and the pain that she had suffered was slowly getting to her but she couldn’t give up.

He moved towards her, his glare hardening as he reached out his hand and took hold of her collar, pulling it towards him as he lifted her to look her straight in the eyes. “You have been a huge disappointment, Nezumi. A failure…” he tilted his head slightly as his grip around her collar moved towards . “Failures deserve to die.”

Desperately Nezumi tried to reach her hands up, taking hold of Saburou’s wrist but it was no use. He was far more stronger than her, especially in this state. She felt his grip tighten as the ability to breath was getting more and more difficult. The pain had exhausted her, tears were stinging in the back of her eyes as she tried not to show him any fear but it was far too late for that. He had seen the fear in her eyes, he had seen the exhaustion and defeat. Which served as more motivation to get the best out of this kill. This was what he had been waiting for. The exact same feeling of satisfaction he felt the day he put an end to their leader’s life.

Saburou!”

His grey glare moved away from hers and she could notice somewhat of surprise in his face as his grip around loosened. Not long after the glare turned into another smirk.

“How precious,” he tilted his head and looked back at her, “Your little friends have all come to say goodbye.”

“…e-eh?” she managed to let out. Impossible, they couldn’t have come. She specifically told them to stay away. She had purposely went off to fight Saburou alone to protect them, and yet they came to look for the danger themselves. 

 

“Let her go, Saburou!” she recognized his voice. His deep and serious voice that spoke so fearlessly towards Saburou. He truly had no idea what kind of power he was dealing with even after the many times she tried to warn him, he just wouldn’t listen. His stubbornness might even have exceeded her own.

Saburou glared away for a moment, then stared back at Nezumi. Those dark, wicked eyes piercing through hers as his mind had once again filled with a million evil plans that one could only wonder what he was going to do next.

“Tsk,” he scoffed once more as he threw Nezumi aside, sending her rolling over the floor a couple of times before coming to a complete halt facing the ground as she leaned on one arm and the other grabbed , coughing as air filled her lungs once again.

The group had hurried to her side, surrounding her as a human shield as someone kneeled next to her and she felt a hand placed on her back.

“Nezumi-san,” that familiar soft voice carefully let out.

She slowly glanced up and met those concerned eyes, replying with a faint smile and nod.

“Nezumi, daijobu desu ka?” she looked up and met his glance as he looked back over his shoulder, his frown forming a straight line above his eyes.

“You shouldn’t have come here…” she merely replied, slowly gaining back the feeling in her limbs and managed to breath in and out correctly again.

“And let you have all the fun by yourself?” another voice replied. “How selfish, Nezumi!” she looked around and her glare faded away.

“Michiyo?”

“Don’t tell us about an awesome party and not invite us, that’s just rude,” Ryosuke grinned as she took a moment to look around and observe the ones who had showed up against her wishes. Everyone was there. Everyone was putting themselves on the line. She turned her gaze back to the ground, now sitting up on the ground.

“Such a touching moment… And just when I thought you didn’t have any friends after all…” he smirked.

“Urusai yo,” Kiyama snapped at him.

“But if you invite people to the party, it’s only fair of me to do the same.” He sneered and she could tell that the smirk hadn’t left his face. She had turned her eyes to the ground, one hand on her wound that had started to hurt again.

She heard some footsteps increase and she knew that a few of the others had joined Saburou’s side after he spoke. Was this really how this was supposed to end? Everything she had tried had failed. She couldn’t get revenge for Mizumi the way she wanted to, she couldn’t protect everyone else from Saburou. They had come, regardless of her trying to push them away and lead them on the wrong trail. She couldn’t stall Saburou long enough to prevent this. She knew that now, above all, she had messed up a situation that escalated into a death sentence for everyone connected to her.

“Why are you so keen on making everyone else suffer,” Michiyo tried. “How can you take pleasure out of watching people suffer? Watching them die!” For a second, Nezumi could tell how much Michiyo and Mizumi were actually alike. It was as if she heard her friend speak like she had always done. Mizumi could never agree nor understand any reason that could lead to murder or ending a life. Sure fighting was in her blood, but rarely was it ever provoked by her or the group.

“It’s not like I enjoy watching just anyone suffer,” he replied in a more serious tone, “Just the people who deserve it.”

“Who decides when people deserve to suffer?” Wataru wondered.

. “I do,” Saburou chuckled. “Just as I decided that Nezumi has to suffer, and that means you will all have to suffer before her.” he continued and Nezumi slowly clutched her fists, “And just like I decided that Mizumi had to suffer.”

A soft giggle escaped from Nezumi as she sat there on the cold ground surrounded by the others. It was followed by another giggle that turned into a soft sound of laughter and the others turned around, a sign of confusion on their faces as the girl slowly lifted her head again.

Those are cowering words coming from such a tainted soul,” she spoke as she slowly rose from her place. Satoshi grabbed her arm gently but she merely gave a quick and usual grin before pulling her arm away and slowly took a few steps forwards. She still had one hand on her wound and there was a trail of red running down the right corner of her lips.

“Ah?”

“You decide it upon yourself to judge when a person deserves to suffer, for whatever reason, yet you are too lazy to take care of the business yourself,” she continued and tilted her head as she turned her eyes to meet his gaze, “Or just too much of a coward.”

“Nani?” he scoffed.

“Nezumi, don’t challenge him!”

“Why not,” she scoffed too, “Why should I fear a coward?”

“I see…” for a second Saburou had frowned and stared at the girl. But as his cold eyes met hers, it finally got through to him. She had finally snapped. The person Nezumi was rumored to be but had been held back by Mizumi a long time ago had finally reappeared. Nezumi had been an obnoxious person, very eager to fight and very hard to exhaust. But Saburou had always known Mizumi had forbidden her to give it her all, to go all out on her opponents, “Spoken as a true yankee, ne?”

“As you said yourself, Saburou-kun,” the tone of voice in which she spoke and that evil smirk on her face were so unlike Nezumi. It was more wickedly than before, less mischievous than usual as she kept her eyes locked with Saburou and took a few more steps until she was at the opposite of him, “Mizumi could never accept cowards within her group, when all this time, the biggest coward was her right hand man.”

“What can I say,” he chuckled. “Mizumi was ignorant, not fit to lead anything. She was not fit to represent a true yankee soul.”

“And you think you are?”

“I do not think so, I know so,” he chuckled, that same old cocky confidence that beamed off his entire being. He was so full of himself that it sickened Nezumi. She had grown numb to the pain and the fear. The anger had got to her in a way she had hoped it would never be.

Truth be told, if she had let herself break through the limits Mizumi had taught her to make, she could have easily defeated Saburou. But she had long since grown out of the ability to give any fight her full strength and the amount it took for her to reach the point that she would break out of that barrier, that her mind would snap and her soul would burn with strength and passion to fight was dangerously high.

“Temeera no yankee soul wa, sonna monkaa?” she tilted her head, the smirk had disappeared and she blankly stared up at him. “Zaken janee zo!”

“Eh?”

“I’ll show you the true meaning of a yankee soul,” she clutched her fists again. “Kiai irero yo!” as she yelled those final words she launched herself to Saburou, faster than she had done before, taking Saburou by surprise as she threw her fist forwards and it hit his cheek, throwing him off balance as she immediately followed up with a roundhouse kick than managed to knock him off his feet.

“Maji de…” he softly gasped as he rubbed the back of his hand against the corner of his mouth, looking down to see the red stain of blood upon his pale skin. He looked up at her for a second, before looking at the grunts that stood there, clueless and dumbfounded. “GO!”

The group gave out a growl of confirmation as they moved forwards towards the girl.

“Ikou ze!” Wataru spoke and without hesitation he and the others moved forwards as well, blocking the grunts as they impacted.