Gone

I'd Still Choose You

The evening sky had just reddened, casting long, lonely shadows on the sandy beach. The couple settled down after a peaceful evening’s walk at their favorite beach. Sitting down, the couple enjoyed the view of the sunset across the ocean with the sound of waves crashing the shore like a calm melody.

It was like any other lazy Sunday they use to spend together in the summer. Where they would be enjoying the sun and simply each other’s company filled with laughter and sights of kids running around. But it was different this time; the beach was unusually quiet and empty. Even the weather seemed rather gloomy during the middle of June which caused a mellow yet sad atmosphere. Maybe it was because families and couples have headed home for dinner or maybe it was the gloomy weather.

Nevertheless, the two were quiet, happy to be in each other’s presence without needing a word said. And this was how much they understood each other.
 
The wind grew stronger as the couple continued sitting down at the beach, mesmerized by the view.

“Jay, I feel cold,” her voice soft and weak.

Holding her closer to him, he used his body to give her warmth; at the same time rubbing his hands up and down her arms to warm her up.

“Feel better?”

“Hmmm” she nodded. Still looking out into the ocean, she broke the silence, “Jay, can you sing for me?

“Now?”a bit taken back by her sudden request.

“Yes silly, now. I like it when you sing. It keeps me calm and gets my mind off of unnecessary worries. Just like a getaway.” She grinned as she nuzzled into his neck, resting on his chest, waiting for him to serenade her.

Wrapping his arms around her from behind, he tightened his hold again.“Well if you say so babe; away we go!”

Looking down at her, she looked extremely pale and tired today.
Eyes welling up, he held back his tears; he would not let her see him cry for her. That’s what he promised; to keep smiling no matter what.
Gently kissing her on the forehead, though feeble and pale, her eyes closed, she gave him a wan smile.

The smile that he fell for; the smile that made everything okay for him when he was in doubt and how it still makes his heart skip a beat every time like it was the first time.
And yet through all the fatigue, she still looked beautiful; breathtaking is how he’d described her beauty.

Bringing his attention back up to the vast and blue ocean, he began to serenade her as the sounding waves crashed the shore. The first Korean song he ever sang to her on their wedding proposal,

널사랑하겠어(I will love you)
Neol saranghagesseo

언제까지나 (Till the end of time)
Eonjekkajina

널사랑하겠어(I will love you)
Neol saranghagesseo

지금이순간처럼(Like this moment right now)
Jigeum i sungancheoreom

끝까지날믿어줘Baby, my baby (Trust me till the end )
Geutkachi nal mideochueo Baby, my baby

난약속할게 (I promise you)
Nan yagsokhalge

널사랑하겠어(I will love you)
Neol saranghagesseo

사랑해끝까지Baby (Love you till the end baby)
Saranghae geutkachi Baby

널사랑하겠어(I will love you)
Neol saranghagesseo

지금이순간처럼(Like this moment right now)
Jigeum i sungancheoreom

이세상그누구보다(More than anyone in this world)
I sesang geu nuguboda

널사랑하겠어(I will love you)
Neol saranghagesseo

 

---Flashback---

Dragging her into their favorite café, walking her to their seat, she wanted to say hi to the boys however he hurriedly ushered her to sit down.

“Babe, what’s the rush?”

“Just wait here.”

“Babe…”

Suddenly the café had a power trip and out, or so she thought, earning a squeal from her for the sudden darkness.
Seconds later, a spotlight her. With squinted eyes, she looked up at the stage, trying to figure what was going on, or rather, what trouble the boys were up to this time.

 “What the?”

Her eyes widened when she saw her boyfriend on stage with Daniel and Andrew getting ready to put on a show.

Looking at her while adjusting his microphone, he winked at her, “This is for you, Emma. Neol saranghagesseoby The Zoo. Let’s go!”

“Neol what? And who the hell is The Zoo?” She muttered

 

As soon as he started his performance, she was taken aback by what he was singing. She was not surprised that he was singing, in fact she’s heard him many times when she’d stop by the studio where he was at his work producing and recording demos. But what shocked her was that he was singing in Korean.

And it was indeed his first time. Though the couple was Korean, having born and raised in the states, they knew little of the culture and hardly spoke the language even in their own households. So this scene before her was definitely new.

Although she had no idea what he was singing, she was all smiles, getting butterflies in her stomach like she did the first time he held her hand. She could not help but giggle when she noticed Junior at the side flipping cards which seemingly were the translation to the lyrics of the song. Oh these dorks, she thought to herself.

The music stopped and Jay was now standing right in front of her, smiling. Thinking that he was done, she stood up and interrupted,

“Jay, baby, this is really sweet! Even though the only words I could understand were baby my baby, and you do sound kinda funny in Korean, I-I’m really touched.” A bit confused and lost for words as she tried not to sound rude or unappreciative.

“But it’s not my birthday or any special occasion. What’s with all thi--. Wait, it’s not valentines’ day right?
Okay Jay Park, what did you do this time?”

Hands now on her hips, giving him a stern look and thinking hard on what the special occasion might be, having no idea what was in store for her.

He couldn’t help but smile at her reaction,“Babe, you know, you’re such a mood spoiler.”

“I was jus-”

“Shhh… who said I was done?” He smirked. And with that he broke into his rap verse.

 

Baby, baby girl
You got me hooked like a great song
You're like my employer
And I can't wait to get laid off
Jay Park, my other half
Mind as well be your name
Got me smilin' all cheesy every time I see your face
I'm like the Homer to your Marge
The car to your garage
Our love is outta space, baby floatin' in the stars
They type of girl Imma spend time to write a letter to
A grade A paper, but you should still let me edit you
FedEx you to my crib
Baby just shut your eyelids
Pretty soon I think you would be the mother of my kids
And that's real from the heart
To take you away
It's like to steal from the Gods

 

Finishing off with a smooth popping dance break, he knelt down in front of her, now holding out a ring. Her eyes widened as he knelt before her, finally realizing what this was all about.

“Jay…”she looked down at him in disbelief.

“Just uh, don’t say anything. Cause I-I’ll lose my nerve.” Clearing his throat, he continued on.

“Emma, babe, you complete me. The moment I laid eyes on you I knew that you’d be the one I’d be spending my lifetime with. You make me a better person.  And I’d be nothing without you, you’re the driving force in my life, it fills me up just thinking about you."

"You’re my life. You’re the reason I live.”

Taking a deep breath, he primed himself for the big question.

“Now, I’d like to ask you in the most unconventional and unromantic way,
 Would you be the mother of my kids?”

The crowd went silent; everyone’s eyes were on her, anxiously waiting for the answer. She looked down at him, eyes never once leaving his. Her face was stern, she didn’t smile nor frown which worried him because it was an expression he couldn’t read.

“Park Jaebeom”

Calling him by his full Korean name, something that she has never done before; it frightened him. He swallowed hard, hoping what she was about to say would be in his favor.

"What do you take me for? A birth giving machine?"

Deep down, she was truly thankful and overwhelmed by how much this boy before her eyes put in so much effort and time to love her and simply just to put a smile on her face. At that moment, she felt like she had the world. Indeed she did; because he was her world.

No, babe I didn’t mea—“

Trying to pull a straight face, she couldn’t contain it anymore as she saw the boy’s panicked expression. Interrupting him, her stern expression broke into a smile,

“I’d be honored.”

Still not registering what she had just said, he just froze still kneeling before her. Junior shook him saying, “Dude! What are you waiting for?! She said yes!”

“She did?” Looking up to Junior in disbelief and back to Emma, trying to register what had just happened.

“SH-SHE DID!”

With that he slipped the ring onto her finger and the couple embraced each other, he spun her around repeatedly saying that she had said yes.

“SHE’S MINE!!!!” He shouted loud and clear, proud to claim her his.

Smiling from ear to ear, she pulled on his collar,“Now look at you, got me smiling all cheesy looking at your face. You weird dork.”

Well you know; that’s how I do. He winked. Rolling her eyes, she shook her head and chuckled at the silly boy.

 

“I love you.”

Pulling him in for a kiss, friends and customers whistled and gave roaring cheers for the couple.

------

Upon finishing the last note of the song, a soft smile plastered on his face as images of that day floated through his mind. Soon his smile was gone when he felt her grip on him loosened; her arm slipping down with a thug. 
He was calm as he looked at her face. He knew; he had a feeling about it. How she seemed extremely weak and restless this morning but yet still insisted to come to the beach. And maybe she knew too that she was going to be leaving very soon. That’s why she wanted to spend the last moments here, alone; in his arms.

She was gone. Out of this world; out of his life. 

Looking down at her face which was now cold and pale, it still bore that peaceful smile he could never forget or resist. He gave her one last kiss on her temple and held her now lifeless body tighter and closer to him as if his life depended on it. Looking out into the ocean as the waves crashed sounding louder by the moment now, sharing the last moments he will ever have with her; the love of his life.