From Beginning to End

Love at Last Dance

 

 

"Yuri! Come outside! We're here~!" I sang into the receiver and quickly hung up. Five minutes later, a girl stepped out; she was in a dress that was a nice silver color and gray lace sprinkled with glitter, "Hey KyungMi, did I make you all wait for long?" The girl said as she climbed into the truck. I stared at her, flabbergasted, "Yuri? Is that you?" I stammered. The girl nodded, "Wow, you look so pretty!" I yelled. "Oh, this is my dad and my brother; he just came back from a club field trip." My eyes shimmered as I looked at the pretty girl in front of me. Choi Yuri, a girl who usually wears jeans, sweaters and sneakers, with her hair tied. Is wearing a knee-length dress, her hair was down and curled, her makeup was done, she was shining, literally the glitter on her dress was blinding my eyes. "Why aren't you dressed?" She blinked at my t-shirt and jeans attire.

"I'm waiting for my mom to help with my make-up and hair. So I'll get dress when I get home." I explained she nodded.

Throughout the whole ride, we gossiped and made small talk, "Here we are~" I sang, I dragged Yuri out of the car and to my room.

"You can sit if you want." I said taking the dress out of my closet. I smiled at her, "Wait here." I said, my room has its own bathroom so I quickly changed their and did basic make-up so my mom can do the complicated stuff. I walked out, "You look pretty~" she cooed, I blushed. “Are you wearing a mask?” she asked. I nodded, “Are you?” she shook her head, “I know everyone there so there won’t be any surprise.” She explained

I heard voices outside; I perked up, "Mom! Come here~" I shouted, "Help meeeeeee!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thirty minutes later, we emerged from the truck. We had arrived at the ballroom excessively early, "Oh my god, I'm so nervous. How do I look? Is my hair in place?" Yuri rambled, I beamed, and “You look fine, calm down."

After a while, people started to shuffle their way into the room. After having the complete 3rd year class think that I was not appearing for the moment, it was surprising to them that I was there, though, it took some time for them to recognize me. I was wearing a mask, one I chose at the entrance, it was made of black lace. I greeted my friends at the entrance, only they knew it was I behind the mysterious mask. After hours of wandering, making small talk, dancing and taking pictures it was time for the slow dance, the DJ, also another friend of mine, played a slow song. I was talking with Yuri and some others when I felt a tap on my shoulder, ignoring the smug looks on their faces I turned around and froze. Kim YoungIl, my ex-boyfriend, "Do you want to dance with me?" He asked, now I have never rejected a boy before so of course I said yes. Rest assured, I had no feelings for the boy, and “You look pretty tonight." He said his hands tightened their grip on me, though I paid no attention. "Thank you, you look fine tonight also." I simply said, not making eye contact. "How are you and your girlfriend?" I asked trying to sound casual. He laughed nervously, "Actually, we broke up." He glance at me, I looked at him, "Why? She was a nice girl."

"No reason, we didn't click, not the way you and I did." He quietly said the last part. "Are you dating anyone right now?" Oh no, I know where this is going, say yes and that he's a nice person. "No." You stupid girl, correct yourself! "No I am not." I laughed. He sighed in relief, "KyungMi, I missed you," he said as I mentally cursed myself, "I was a fool for neglecting you, I dated SunMi because I wanted to try and forget you." There was a silence.

"Are you asking for another chance?" I stupidly asked, of course he is you dimwit! He sincerely looked into my eyes "Only if you give it to me."

I sighed and looked at my shoes then back at him, "I would love to," he smiled, "if my feelings didn't change, I did like you, a lot, in fact. But my feeling did change, so the answer would be no, I will not give you another chance." His face fell, I let go of my hold and took his hands off my waist "Good bye YoungIl." I said just as the song ended. He solemnly walked away as I walked the opposite way. I was going to look for my friends but just as the DJ completely stopped the music, "Okay, everyone, the party's almost over. Grab that special person and ask them for the Last Dance!" The DJ's eyes were on me that whole time, they shone with a playful twinkle and his eye flickered away for a moment. I shrugged and walked to Yuri but before I could approach her, I felt a tap. I saw KaMi's face, pure shock. Confused, turning around, I too was shocked, "Hi, my name is Lee KiKwang, do you want to dance with me?" He asked, as he held out his hand.

"L-Lee Kikwang," I mumbled incoherently and took his hand. He gently dragged me to the center of the crowd of dancing couples and wrapped his hands securely around my waist. Dazed, I stood there like an idiot; he chuckled and took my arms then wrapped them around his neck before encircling his arms around my waist again. I blinked back to reality and swayed along with him, “You know…” he said, I listened intently, “You look amazingly beautiful. Do you attend Cube High?” I blushed and shook my head, if he knew it was I, Lee KyungMi, then he would let go and walk away. “Oh, then what school do you go to?” he asked, tilting his head.

I shifted nervously, “Actually, I live out of town, and I came to visit my friend. She invited me to prom during my stay.” I casually lied. He nodded, “Are you going anywhere after the dance?” he inquired. Again, I shook my head, “I’m probably going to go home or my friend’s house. Why?”

He paused for a very short while before continuing to dance, hoping that I would not notice, too late. “No reason, since you were staying for a while, how about I take you around?” before I could answer the DJ's voice came on, “Okay, everyone, parties over! Please, exit through the elevator, good night~!” he cheered before starting to pack up. “KyungMi, let’s go!” YuRi said she took my arm; KiKwang grabbed my hand I looked at him then smiled, “Thank you for giving me that ‘special’ Last Dance with me. However, I do not know your school’s customs, I felt special.”

Yuri looked at me then KiKwang and thought before nodding at the situation. I took a step forward and lightly brushed my lips against his cheek. Yuri now pulled me away, once outside, Yuri exploded into excited chatter, “I can’t believe you did the Cinderella on him! Oh my god, wait till I tell everyone!” she hopped to the truck. I hissed, “You tell no one what happened and I’ll spare your life.” I jokingly threatened, but she knew that I wanted to keep it as a secret and nodded. “KyungMi, the school’s hottest guy asked you to dance with him. What are you going to do about it?” she nudged my arm, I shrugged, “Go with the flow?”

I nervously fiddled with the ring on fin- wait, where did it go. “Hey, have you seen my ring; the one that's usually around my neck.” I asked feeling on the empty chain that hung around my neck then my fingers. Yuri shook her head, “No, didn’t you wear it to the dance? I saw you messing with it before the Last Dance- wait, oh my god.” She gasped then squealed. “What? Woman, hurry up and tell me where my ring is!” I yelled in agitation.

“Lee KiKwang has it!” she squealed I stared at her in shock, “What?” I shrieked.

“Oh, chill out, I’ll get it back for you when we get back to school. Oh, I have to go now. Bye! Thanks for the ride Mr. Lee!” she sang before hopping out the truck.

~KiKwang’s POV~

I stared at the shiny ring in my hand, it was small and pretty, just like that girl, I think her friend called her KyungMi  I thought I want to see her again.

~KyungMi's POV~

During lunch on Monday, Yuri and I approached KiKwang’s table, “Excuse me, Lee KiKwang?” she beckoned, he turned around, “Oh, you’re that one girl’s friend!” he beamed, “What is it?”

Yuri looked at him, “Look, I know you have her ring. It’s important to her just give it back.” She crossed her arms. KiKwang’s smile turned sly, “On one condition,” Yuri waited, and I felt nervous and drank some water, “I’ll give it to her, when I go on a date with her.” He said, I choked and started coughing. “Are you okay, KyungMi?” I nodded. “I’m fine.” I said and looked at KiKwang; he was staring at me with wide-eyed. I tilted my head at him and coughed again and looked at Yuri she gave me the smallest of nods before turning to KiKwang, “Fine, I’ll give you the date or whatever but the ring is important don’t forget to bring It.” She said as I hit my chest clearing my throat. KiKwang nodded and glanced at where my hand was, “Why do you have an empty chain around your neck?” he asked. I froze and looked at the chain, “Uh, it’s trending in America; my cousin sent it to me.” I said quickly and Yuri dragged me away.

“Oh my god, he just said he wanted to go on a date with you!” she squealed loudly once we left the cafeteria, I hurriedly shushed her, “What if someone hears us!” I hissed. She covered and I looked around, there was no one around. Yuri started silently squealing while jumping like a fool; I eyed her until she calmed down. “Help me, what am I going to do? If he goes on a date with me that would mean he finds out who I am.” I panicked.

“I’ll tell him that you had an emergency and went home early.” She beamed at me I smiled sarcastically. “Wouldn’t he ask where I live though? I mean, he seems like he REALLY wants to see that girl from prom.” I said. She snapped her fingers, “Oh, I know! My uncle is having a grand opening for his new restaurant. Considering the fact that I am his favorite, he let me choose the theme! I didn’t choose yet so I’ll say masquerade!” she pulled out her phone and called her uncle. KiKwang happened to walk by us his eyes flickered at Yuri and me but it felt like his eyes lingered longer than necessary. I gave him a small nod and turned to Yuri who was busy on the phone. “Uncle, yes, it is I Yuri, your niece. Yes, I’ve thought of the theme for your party.” She paused, so did KiKwang, who tried to look casual leaning on the wall a few feet away, eaves dropping. I stifled a laugh when I saw his actions, “Ah, it’s a masquerade party, yes uncle, the thing with the masks. Oh, it’ll be optional, but it’s highly recommended.” Yuri smiled and out the corner of my eyes, I saw KiKwang shift closer, “may I bring a few friends over to the grand opening? They are nice people, trust me.” she giggled at a comment, “okay, I have to go now, uncle, bye.” She hung up and saw KiKwang.

“Oh, it’s you, so I picked a place for you and her to meet up. Here, text me later and I’ll give you her contact information, I have to go.” With that, she ran off after giving him her number, with me running after her.

“Now he’s going to text me what do I say?” she squealed, I raised an eyebrow, “Um say hi.” I suggested, “Anyway, I have to go to class, later.” I waved and walked to class.~~~~~`

On my way home, I got a text from an unknown number. I grew suspicious who can it be? Can it be a stalker?  Oh, wait its KiKwang. I read the message ‘Hey, it’s me from the dance last night, Lee KiKwang; I hope you haven’t forgotten who I am :)’ I stared at the message unsure of what to say. I sent a reply.

~KiKwang’s POV~

 I did it, I texted Cinderella, what if she does not remember me? I started to hyperventilate, I shouldn’t have texted her, now she’s going to think that I'm a weirdo! I received a text, I stared at the screen, okay, and this is the decisive moment. I picked up my phone and opened the message ‘Oh, hi, how did you get my number? Are you stalking me now?’ my jaw fell, she thinks I'm a weird stalker! Just as I was, about to break into tears I received another text, I opened it, and ‘It’s nice to have another friend that’s not from here.’ it said. Now I was jumping on my bed in excitement about to squeal my head off when my mom came in, “KiKwang, stop jumping on the bed you aren’t a child anymore.” She closed my door I stared at it for a while before remembering to reply, ‘Your friend gave me your number.’ I quickly replied.

Soon after that, I learned that her name was indeed KyungMi, Lee KyungMi, she attended a high school in the rural area, and that she was staying for a long while. She also refuses to have any phone calls she says it’s because, ‘she doesn’t want to use all her minutes.’

Today, at school, during lunch, I was texting KyungMi. I was hanging out with KyungMi’s friend, whose name is Kim Yuri, and that girl KyungMi that’s always so quiet. The weird thing was that every time I sent a text KyungMi would check her phone. “Hey, are you listening to me?” Yuri waved a hand in front of me. “Uh, yeah please continue.”

She rolled her eyes, “I said, my uncle is holding a party at his new restaurant, and I'm inviting you to come. You and my friend of course.” She said I nodded at glanced at the girl next to her. She was looking back with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Confused, I tried to decipher the way she was looking at me. She cleared to hide a giggle before leaving, “What’s with your friend?” I asked YuRi glanced back and shrugged, “She likes being mysterious, she says it’s fun to watch other people be curious about a nobody.” Yuri patted my shoulder and walked away.

~KyungMi’s POV~

It was a few days before the grand opening; I was semi-panicking over what to wear. But Yuri came over a day before just when I was about to have a mental breakdown. She took me out shopping, with the money her uncle gave her. How nice, I get to go shopping and I don’t get to spend my own money, because if I try my head would be gone in an instant. “Definitely that one.” Yuri said while spinning me in circles. “Stop!” I shouted as I hung onto the wall, “No more spinning.” I slurred.

“We’re getting this one, oh! And those shoes!” she picked up a pair of dangerously high heels. After gaining my balance and recovering from vertigo, I looked at her, “Those aren’t for me are they?” I warily glanced at the death traps, she just smiled, “Yuri! Those things are like million inches high! What if I fall hit my head and die?”

“Oh stop being so melodramatic. It’ll be fun! Think about it,” a dreamy glaze appeared in her eyes, “if you fall, then he’ll catch you and you both with stare into each other’s eyes while leaning in slowly until your lips touch-“she squealed loudly I rolled my eyes knowing that I wouldn’t win the argument. “Fine, hurry up and buy them before I change my mind.” She ran to the cashier and bought all the items, shoes and dresses.

~~~~~

“Does my mask look okay?” I said, fixing it before the mirror, Yuri on the other hand used a piece of cloth as her mask and glued it to her face with eyelash glue. The death traps she bought was safely in the store after complaining too much. Now I had a decent pair of heels that were tall but not too tall, which complimented my legs.

“Your fine.” She mumbled while putting the final changes to her mask sitting on the floor in front of the mirror. “Girls, we have to go or you’ll be late!” my dad yelled, we both trotted down the hall and my dad eyed our dresses, “Go change, your dress is too short.” He said.

“Dad, the dress is perfectly fine, see?” I bent over to the side, “No over exposure of skin. Let’s go before we arrive late. This is Yuri’s uncle’s grand opening, we can’t afford to be late!” I dragged my dad to the truck and climbed in, Yuri followed.

Once we arrived, we practically sprinted to the entrance, the bouncer looked at the two of us and let us in without a word, “Excuse me,” I called out to the bouncer, “If the boy in this picture shows up, please let him in.” I handed him a yearbook picture of KiKwang before chasing after Yuri who was already inside. We hastily sat at the reserved table and looked around, taking in the scenery.

I stood and headed to the refreshments table with a plate to fill. There was a tap on my shoulder, I turned around and was greeted by Yuri’s uncle’s smiling face, behind a mask, “Hello, Mr. Kim.” I bowed slightly.

“Ah, yes hello KyungMi.” He had a dreamy smile on his face, “Yuri has told me about this boy, KiKwang was it?” I nodded and blushed, “Well I arranged for a nice little surprise especially for you.” He chuckled and walked away, I looked at Yuri who had a mischievous smile plastered on her face. I walked back to the table, sat down, and ate, decided to shake it off. Once most of the guests arrived, I headed toward the entrance and spoke with the bouncer, “Did the boy come?” I asked he simply shook his head my shoulders slightly slumped. “Thank you.” I smiled the bouncer out a comforting hand on my shoulder, “He’ll come because if he doesn’t, then that means you can do better and you're too pretty for him.” He gave me a smile I bowed and walked away grinning.

When I got in, Yuri’s uncle was ending his speech; I’ve been out longer than I thought I sat next to Yuri and applauded just in time. “Where were you?” Yuri whispered into my ear. “I went out for some air.” I replied in the same volume. She nodded and turned foreword to see that everyone else was up and talking to one another, we soon joined, talking with older guests. “What's two young ladies doing her in an adult place?” a group of women giggled. “Ah, I'm Mr. Kim’s niece.” Yuri said then gestured to me, “She is my best friend.”

I smiled and nodded then moved on to the next few people with Yuri. Soon the orchestra started playing; Yuri and I were asked to dance by a few older men. I was pulled away from Yuri and happily danced with the old man. Down to my fifth dance partner, I loosened up and started having fun, not caring if KiKwang showed or not. I curtseyed and walked to the refreshments table and smiled as I took a sip of fruit punch.

~KiKwang’s POV~

I rushed my mom to drive faster, “Mom hurry! If you don’t I might miss the chance to be with the girl I can’t stop thinking about!” she parked and literally pushed me out of the car damn traffic, what if the dinner is over? I panicked as I ran through the parking lot and to the door, but I was stopped by a huge bulky man who had his arms crossed. “You're late.” He said gruffly. Panting I nodded my head, “I know, but please let me in. the girl I’ve been dying to see is in there and the stupid traffic got in my way to be here on time.” I pleaded; the bouncer and I stared into each other’s eyes until he moved aside. I let out a sigh of relief and thanked him, “You better not hurt her.” He yelled after me as I walked in to ballroom.

KyungMi was easy to spot, her bright smile lit up the room as she danced with another man. I felt jealousy boil through my veins when he leaned in and whispered something in to her ear and she laughed. I knew it I’m too late now she’s happily dancing with some other person, who isn’t me. My heart fell along with my shoulders and head, I felt a tap on my sulking shoulders, and I looked up to see a middle-aged man. “You aren’t too late; she’s still waiting for you. No matter how happy she seems now, she only wanted to see you.” The old man said before walking off to dance. With re-gained confidence I walked to KyungMi and the guy and tapped his shoulder, they both looked at me and KyungMi looked like she had just won the lottery, “I believe that it is my turn to dance with her.” I said kindly. The man gave me a look but KyungMi whispered something in his ear and he nodded before handing her over and walking off.

“You're late.” She teased as we swayed to the music. “I know I am, I can explain myself!” I said quickly but before I could get into detail she put finger on my lips, “You don’t need to, all that matters is that you made it and you're here.” she said softly. We stared into each other’s eyes for a while; I broke the silence, “What did you whisper to that guy?” I quietly asked she smiled looking straight into my eyes, “I said that the guy that I’ve been waiting for is here and he’s late.” I tightened my hold on her, pulling her closer as we continued to sway. When the music stopped she curtseyed when I bowed, “Do you want to step outside?” I asked her, grabbing a hold of her wrist.

She looked at the connection before nodding. We walked up the stairs to the balcony. My hand slowly slipped into hers. My face felt hot when I did it, but I kept my head straight. “Here we are.” I announced I heard her gasp at the breath-taking view of the city lights from afar. She shivered and I looked at her, her dress was a skinny strap and it exposed her arms. I let go of her hand and took off my jacket, carefully draping it over her shoulders. She looked up, “Better?” I asked, she nodded and mumbled a thank you. We stared out at the city for some time, “You know,” she started, “I didn’t think that you would come. I thought you were going to bail.” Her head was down. I took her hand, “Never, I don’t think I would ever bail on you.” I said quietly and turned her to face me. She looked into my eyes while hers glittered with tears, “You know,” this time I started, “I thought you would forget me.” I chuckled, “I was so nervous when I first texted you, I thought you would think of me as a freak, and I was so happy you texted back. That night at prom, I couldn’t keep my eyes off you, so I was jealous when that guy was dancing with you first.

I almost jumped over and push him away.” I smiled jokingly, she giggled. “But seriously,” I looked into her eyes deeply, “I thought you were the most beautiful girl there, you shone like a star.” I said just above a whisper. We stared at each other’s eyes for a long time I was contemplating if I should kiss her. I let my mind go blank as I leaned in oh so slowly; my eyes searched her face, searching for rejection or something else to make me stop. When I didn’t find anything I closed my eyes and kissed her, she seemed shocked as I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer. She started to relax and kissed me back, her lips were soft and sweet, and I think I’ve grown addicted to them. I continued to kiss her until there was no air left in our lungs. When we pulled away we were panting, after looking at each other she smiled, “Well, hello sir.” She let out a small laugh.

I smiled and kissed her cheek and reached back behind her to take off her mask. However, before I could pull on the ribbon, her hand stopped me, “I have something to tell you.” She said, “I’ve been lying to you.”

I tilted my head waiting for her to continue, “I, um, not from out of town. I live here…” she held her mask in place as she undid the ribbon in the back, “Actually, you’ve seen me a lot for the past month or so.” She looked into my eyes, I saw fear in her eyes, and she slowly revealed her face, her hair falling like curtains over her face. “I go to your school.” She said and raised her face for me to see. I gasped silently, “You’re her. Lee KyungMi, Yuri’s best friend.” I said everything clicked. “Why did you lie to me?” I asked slight anger took over she winced at my tone.

“Well I thought that…” she mumbled. “What, you thought what?” I asked, trying to look into her eyes but she turned her head. She shook her head, “Never mind, I think its best we forgive and forget don’t you think?” she said taking my hands off her shoulders. KyungMi took off my jacket and gave it back to me. I grabbed her arm she tried to yank it away, “I’m not letting go until you tell me what the reason you lied to was.” I said.

She was obviously frustrated, “Well, someone with my status isn’t fit to be with you.” She said so quietly that I had to strain my ears. “What?” I asked in disbelieve, she took this chance to take her arm and run down the stairs.

~KyungMi’s POV~

I made my way to the ballroom. Once I reached the bottom of the stairs I was attacked in a tight grip, I started to struggle and fight back, eventually giving up, “Do you really think that I’m shallow enough to forget everything that happened to us just because you aren’t popular?” he whispered into my ear, “I don’t know what to think.” I said and walked away…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey hey hey :D its me! this story is actually based on my junior prom :D i just tweeked it here and there, but let me promise you... my ex boyfriend really did ask me to dance and he did ask for another chance. And the only of the school's hottest guy did ask me to dance with him, because i was the only girl that he truly knew. xD i was so happy, but then i remembered that my friend had the biggest crush on him and she wasnt at prom because her dad didnt allow her to go. but the spotlight was on me when that dance was over... god, i remember all the questions i got >_> damned jealous people. anyway my ex approached me again after the prom, but i saw it coming so i walked to my friend and said quite loudly that we're leaving :3... and then mr. hottie asked me if i was going somewhere after prom, i told him no... the face he made was so cute xD.... he was going to ask me (he told me when we got back to school) to go out to a cafe or something with him (but i serously had to leave :[) but it turned out for the best

 

in other words, my prom was magical. i took pictures with this hot senior... who apparently like me, he asked me to his prom the year before but i couldnt go D:

oh! p.s. the cutie that danced with me wears glasses sometimes :3 so yeaaaaahhhhh