Blue Helmet

Blue Helmet

BLUE HELMET

 

 

LEGO CONVENTION CENTER

1988

Without a care in the world, Park Jungsu happily ran off into the crowd, forgetting about his mother's "Don't get lost" mantra. So much for the angel image. Donning a simple white T-shirt with blue denim jeans and a red cap, the 5 year a boy was beynd adorable. In his pocket was a nice "hefty" sum of ten bucks. To him, ten dollars meant fun, candy, play and running around in random circles. His mother, meanwhile, was wondering if she should panick or let her son be. He was, in fact, too fearless for her peace of mind. She knew that he would find his way back to her.

Anyway, we head back to stalking  checking on the little boy. Jungsu was in heaven, technically meaning in lego heaven. He loved those little bricks to death.

"You can fix them any way you like, and still get a masterpiece," he'd tell his mother proudly after randomly throwing a few pieces together, to form what he'd call a  dinosaur, or perhaps a car. That was the thing about Jungsu. His imagination was wild.

So, five minutes after he happily left his mother, he had gotten himself a balloon and candy floss, using up half of his fortune. He then stumbled upon a small booth where there was a long snake like queue all wrapped around it. Craning his neck, Jungsu saw children walking away with little lego figurines attached to a small chain. A sign above the booth said "$2.50 per lego person". Jungsu smiled, and got into the queue.

Half an hour later, Jungsu stood staring at the plastic containers before him. He selected a white top and blue pants for his figurine, planning on making an exact replica of himself. Jungsu then began to wonder what type of headwear his little lego man should get. His eyes then fell on a little blue helmet across the table. There was only one left, from what Jungsu could tell. He quickly reached for it, only to meet another person's hand.

He looked up and saw a boy about his age, and a younger girl hiding behind the boy's back. Withdrawing his hand, the boy looked at Jungsu as though he was frightened of him.

"You can have it." Jungsu said, while pushing the blue helmet towards the boy. He shook his head.

"No, it wouldn't be fair. You saw it first." he muttered. Jungsu thought for a minute. "I know!"

Grinning broadly, he began to take the boy's lego figurine apart. He then slipped the blue helmet onto his figure's head and attacahed the pants of the boy's figure onto his own.

"There. We can both share it."

The boy smiled slightly. "Well... what do you want to name it?"

"Leeteuk."

"Kangin."

The boy stopped. "So that will make..."

"KangTeuk." Jungsu finished. The boy smiled.

A minute later, Youngwoon, the boy was sharing a packet of chips with Jungsu and Taeyeon, who was Youngwoon's cousin. Taeyeon was holding KangTeuk, since it only seemed fair that she kept him, since she didn't get a figurine of her own. Jungsu and Youngwoon exchanged phone numbers, which was quite surprising as their friendship was apparently progressing very quickly. But as you know, most random meetings don't really last, and that was exactly what had happened.

 

2000, 18th July 3.pm.

Jungsu, or better known as Leeteuk was a handsome 17-year old teenager studying at the most prestigous school in Seoul. It was a humid day when he ran into them again, after joining the basketball team with a familiar boy. After practice, when he was standing by the school gate, Leeteuk saw the same boy with an equally familiar girl. Well, he didn't know it was them at first, but he thought they were still very familiar. Apparently they thought so too.

"Jungsu. But better known as Leeteuk."

"Youngwoon. AKA Kangin."

Leeteuk and Kangin stared at each other.

"Wait. I know you."

A girl walked up to them. She had chocolate brown eyes that melted Leeteuk instantaneously and chestnut brown hair that fell past her shoulders, making her look like an angel fallen from heaven.

Tugging on Kangin's arm, she whimpered.

"Oppa, I'm hungry, can we go?" a cute pout and the most adorable, angelic voice stunned Leeteuk. He tore his gaze away from her (thank God she hadn't noticed him shamelessly staring) and looked straight ahead.

He vaguely heard Kangin reply. "Okay Taeng, we're going soon."

Taeng?

Leeteuk watched the girl bounce up and down with glee, and all of a sudden, a blue figurine clipped to the zipper of her backpack caught his eye.

Kangteuk.

"OH MY GOSH ITS YOU GUYS!" Leeteuk screamed, causing Taeyeon to leap behind Kangin.

"Dude its you! Remember the lego convention and Kangteuk?"

"Kangteuk..." a look of remembrance registered on Kangin's face. His eyes lit up.

"Jungsu... Am I right?" A nod confirmed his thoughts and Kangin stepped forward to give him a hearty hi-five, while Leeteuk smiled kindly at Taeyeon, who was shyly looking at him. Taeyeon quickly looked at the ground, observing how

For a second Leeteuk thought he saw her blush.

"So...Taeyeon, what club will you be joining this year?" he asked, trying to break the silence between them.

"The singing club..." Taeyeon's voice faltered as she the blue figurine carefully. Kangin beamed at her, petting her hair.

"Come on, you were hungry weren't you?" Taeyeon nodded.

"Its my treat." Leeteuk butted in. Grabbing both Kangin and Taeyeon, he dragged them both by the wrists outside of school.

 

 

 

2000,18th July 7 p.m.

Leeteuk lay on his bed, smiling stupidly to himself. Taeyeon and Kangin's numbers were stored in his phone. Throughout the whole meal, Taeyeon was extraordinarily shy (Kangin texted him shortly after they left) and kept glancing at Leeteuk, unsure. Leeteuk found the girl too adorable for words.  Taeyeon squealed and literally ducked under the table when Leeteuk wiped off some whipped cream from her face. Kangin laughed, much to Taeyeon's embarrassment. That tingly feeling Leeteuk felt when he was around Taeyeon was clumsily shrugged off and pushed into a dark and damp corner of his heart. Leeteuk densely assumed that it was the feeling of being reunited with a long lost friend, which was quite accurate, considering the circumstances in which whey had meet again.

 

 

 

 

Weeks, or maybe months later

Leeteuk, Kangin and Taeyeon were best friends. Leeteuk soon found out nearly everything about the two cousins. Taeyeon was a short, dorky person who adored the peas from 'Toy Story', and was in love with gummy bears. Taeyeon always said "Hwaitaeng", using her nickname (Taeng/Taengoo) as a pun. And Taengoo always wanted to be a singer, while Kangin dreamt of being a war general when he was young. Kangin swallowed a fly before Kangin loves kids... but kids don't like him back.

Rejection... Leeteuk laughed, earning a slap on the back from Kangin seconds later.

The trio hung out everyday, and Leeteuk had to admit, he was closer to Kangin than Taeyeon. After all, Taeyeon was younger and the boys had different classes from her. But there was still a tingly feeling when Leeteuk was with Taeyeon.

Leeteuk knew it, but he didn't want to acknowledge it.

He was in love with his best friend.

But he never realised his love for her, until he nearly lost her.

 

 

 

2001,1st January 3 p.m.

"I'm leaving."

"When? Where to?"

"Tomorrow, to the US."

Taeyeon broke down into tears as Kangin hugged her tightly. Leeteuk couldn't believe it. Taeyeon and Kangin had suddenly turned up on his doorstep, with a solemn looking Kangin and a red-eyed Taeyeon. Leeteuk pulled Taeyeon into a hug while trying to reach out to Kangin at the same time. Taeyeon sobbed into his chest while Kangin her hair gently. Taeyeon would be leaving with her family, and Kangin was staying in Seoul.

Thank God I still have someone here with me. thought Leeteuk.

But what about Taeyeon. Who would protect her while she was away? Who would be her friend? Who would stand for Taeyeon in Kangin and Leeteuk's place?

Tragic, it seemed.

Leeteuk couldn't do anything about it. Nothing. Nothing at all.

That night was a night of tears, hugs and emotions. Leeteuk pulled Taeyeon in for a tight hug while she cried into his chest. Kangin joined their embrace while Taeyeon's hair. Taeyeon sobbed and Kangin looked sombre. Leeteuk was still wondering if the situation was a bad dream. It wasn't, yet in a way it was.

Because all dreams will end someday, even bad ones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2006 25th December 7:00pm

5 years later, Leeteuk was standing at his doorstep. It had been 5 years since Taeyeon left, 5 years since she contacted Leeteuk. Even Kangin had no idea what she was up to, seeing her sudden disappearance.

Leeteuk shut his eyes. Had Taeyeon forgotten him? Yet surely she would not forget her own cousin, Kangin. Eyes still closed, Leeteuk began to imagine.

He tried to picture her strong voice as her lovely vocals piercing the silence, clear and powrful. He tried to conjure up the sound of her girly giggles. He tried to think about her dorkiness, her cute speaking voice. He tried to visualize Taeyeon's deep brown eyes, so full of emotion and innocence. And just like a good dream, he saw Taeyeon in front of him.

Just like a good dream, she leapt into his arms joyfully, nuzzling his neck.

Just like a good dream, she slammed her lips against his, her arms snaking around his neck.

And just like a good dream, she whispered into Leeteuk's ear.

"I've missed you."

Only, it wasn't a dream.

It was real

That night, Taeyeon got onto Leeteuk's back as they sped off into the distance, towards Kangin's house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 years later

Leeteuk stood by the stage, clapping as Taeyeon smiled graciously, holding up a huge gold trophy. Kangin stood nearby, snapping a picture of his cousin.

Kim Taeyeon was now a famous singer.

Even as it was agony living without Taeyeon for so many years, Leeteuk knew it was worth it.

Taeyeon was happy, having fulfilled her ambition. To be a singer.

Leeteuk watched proudly as he saw Kim Taeyeon, now his wife, clutch the trophy tightly. Kangin smiled beside him and took a picture of his little cousin's proud moment. Kim Taeyeon had gotten the Gold premium award at the yearly national vocal challenge for the nth time. It so happenedthat while she was in the U.S., she became a trainee entertainer at one of the prestigious music companies. Strict training had restricted her forms of communication with the outside world.

But she never forgot Park Jungsu. He, had a special place in her heart, just like she had in his.

Kim Youngwoon now had a very special bond with a boy he met nearly 2 decades ago. Park Jungsu and he were the eest of friends. Never in Youngwoon's life had he been so grateful to know a person like Jungsu. Never.

And Jungsu. Everywhere he went, he brought Kangteuk with him, like a guardian angel. The little blue helmet was still fixed on Kangteuk's head. To normal people, the blue helmet was just another lego piece. To Jungsu, Leeteuk, to Youngwoon, Kangin, to Taeyeon, that litte blue helmet was more.

It was special

It was friendship.

It was memories

It was irreplacable

But it was small.

Yet it meant so much more than its size.

To those three people it was precious

Why?

Because,

Sometimes, the smallest things take up the most place in the heart.