The Painted Truth

The Painted Truth

It was in the middle of the civil war. The year 1951 wasn’t a good one for South Korea, or Korea at that time for that fact. It was October, and the skies were unsettled and wild. Nevertheless, they were sitting together, on the swing, staring into the world beyond them. Their hands were tight together, their tiny fingers entwined. Both their faces had smiles on them, and their world was carefree and safe.

‘Uhn… I love you.’ The little boy smiled as he reached the girl’s hand up gently and kissed it softly, bowing his head. The girl felt her heart pulse and her cheeks burn. She awkwardly turned away, trying not to giggle.

‘I…' she paused, leaving Heechul waiting. '...love you, too.’ The girl smiled, but her eyes were closed. The boy was confused. Nevertheless, above them, the white, weightless clouds poured down drops of rain.

‘Heechul! YoonA!’ Heechul’s mother called, urging them inside. Together, it was predicted they’d be a storm that could possibly flood the lands. They helped the mother pick some food so they could take it safely to the 2nd floor, high above the earth. Heechul mildly swung across the banister, making his mother nervous. His maid, Jin Li, carried him in one hand, and took the girl courteously with the other. They ended up in the beautiful room Heechul’s mother kept, fit with paintings of Heechul’s ancestors, and a few paint sets and papers for Heechul and YoonA to play with. The maid and the mother set up their food for the moment, and switched off the lights, one by one, but replacing the artificial light with bright, yellow-coloured candles.

‘Where’s Daddy?’ Heechul asked. He was, after all, a 5 year old gentleman who loved someone already, with all his heart as he kept saying. His mother felt peaceful and happy, knowing her young son was with her. His father, in fact, was near the border, fighting for their rights and separation from North Korea.

‘He’ll be home next month, my son.’ His mother replied. Heechul grinned, not sure how long a month was, yet to him, it felt like a few days, maybe less than a week. He didn’t mind then. If his father would return after so long already, he truly didn’t mind waiting any longer. He was with the love of his life, YoonA, and his mother and his favourite maid in the whole world.

Towards the front of the house, lightning struck hard, brightening the room instantly with a flash of white, almost blinding the family. Despite the rain, their apple tree was unmistakably alight, burning viciously. The house was a safe distance away, so Heechul’s mother felt safe. The thunder, though, shook all of their hearts. It frightened them out of their wits. To YoonA and Heechul, it was a lion roaring angrily. They felt like they were no longer safe, and their hands tightened.

‘Don’t worry, my children.’ Heechul’s mother’s calm voiced soothed the children, and they swivelled to get closer to Heechul’s mother and maid. Heechul’s mother smiled happily, and in front of the children, she placed some paper, some paint on a palette, and two cups of water as well as two thin, elegant paintbrushes. ‘Paint now, I would love to see some pretty pictures!’ She grinned. The two children excitedly took the paintbrushes and on their knees, they began their masterpieces.

Heechul stopped as soon as he was about to begin. A blob of green paint landed on his clean, white sheet, but he didn’t mind. He looked across to YoonA, and it seemed she was drawing a face, a man’s face. He looked up at his mother who was sat next to the maid, reading a book.

‘Mommy? What should I draw?’ Heechul asked curiously. Lightning crashed down again nearby, but the light wasn’t as bright. The thunder wasn’t as loud, either. It seemed the storm was going away quickly.

‘Draw from your heart, Heechul.’ His mother smiled back, returning to her book. The maid looked down at Heechul and playfully winked at him. Heechul bobbed out his tongue playfully, and the maid chuckled before returning back to her book. Heechul left his tongue out and stared down at the almost-blank paper. He was utterly confused. What was in his heart?

He turned to look at YoonA, and knew she was definitely painting a man’s face. Heechul smiled at it, but YoonA didn’t notice. She was too busy at work, doing her masterpiece that would, in her own opinion, save the world. Heechul turned back to his. What was in his heart? Then it clicked in his mind. Of course! YoonA!

Heechul eagerly got down to work and painted an oval shape. He then added black hair that fell down to the end of the paper. He worked on the hair for a while, adding each strand carefully, ensuring it was perfect. He then made sure her beautiful full-fringe would show properly. He completed her head, and then began on her features. He gave her bright, round brown eyes, and added white to them, as if to show they were shining. He put down a cute dot for her nose, and for her lips, he used a rosy colour. For her blushing cheeks, he used pink. Then it was done. He drew his heart down on the paper. He took at least an hour to finish it. When it was done, he called for his mother.

‘Ah! It’s beautiful!’ Heechul’s mother cooed, lifting up the paper slowly, and laying it near a candle. YoonA had half-way covered her painting so Heechul could no longer see it. YoonA displayed it to Heechul’s mother and the lovely maid. In confusion, Heechul attempted to see it, but YoonA pushed him away gently.  Heechul shrugged. He was happy with what he just witnessed; the clouds parting and sunshine cutting through, sheading hope through the land.

It was when YoonA’s mother took her away the next day that Heechul remembered the paintings. After his meal, he rushed upstairs, past the 1st floor and to the 2nd. He looked at his painting of YoonA and sighed, in love. He curiously sneaked up to YoonA’s with a smirk on his face. He lifted it up, and, when he saw it, he couldn’t believe it.

It wasn’t him. It was… it was YoonA’s friend, Leeteuk, a boy that lived next door. Heechul had witnessed the times YoonA giggled and danced around with him, the hugs they shared, the presents they gave. Heechul remembered the tiny fights they had, playful ones, to impress YoonA. Heechul always won. Was he not good enough for her?! Why did she need to think of Leeteuk?! Heechul felt anger rise up. Weren’t he and YoonA in love?

The question shook his mind. He never thought of it. What was love?



 

Thanks for reading^^