The Colours of Regret.

The Colours of Regret.

‘Jesus one day saw a camal and he sat on it and he rode it and it was fun!’ The child said, grinning at his R.E teacher, Sohee. Sohee felt like hitting the child in annoyance. He was obviously joking around, acting like a class clown. Expecting great things from a delinquent was like expecting the ocean to dry up in a day. It was honestly futile. She brushed her hair back with her hands, letting out a sigh.

‘Sit down, John.’ She muttered, taking her hand and showing him to his seat. He grinned once again, shining his teeth at her. She felt like hitting him. Their religious lesson was definitely not going well. Oh well, the daughter of the Sohee’s boyfriend was sat in the room, and she was judging Sohee. She had to keep up a happy, cheerful face. She wanted to be her mother-like figure, even though that was asking for a lot already. She couldn't help herself. Sohee was a dreamer.

‘Hm, Sunhee, please recite the Parable of the Donkey.’ Sohee asked, asking the very daughter, knowing she’d have a good answer. She was a remarkably bright student, and she only found out last night that she was dating her father. She seemed fine with it. Her eyes told Sohee everything.

‘No, , make me.’ Sunhee’s clear voice rang out, taking Sohee by surprise. Sohee was shocked, and didn’t know how to reply. The students sitting around her were open-mouthed, staring at Sunhee in wonder. Sunhee’s eyes changed.

‘Sunhee, stand up and leave the classroom.’ Sohee commanded, struggling to keep her nervousness down. She gulped and turned away from the class for a brief second to clear and compose herself. She was a teacher first and foremost. That was her job; her duty. She turned back to see that Sunhee hadn’t moved at all.

‘THIS !’ SunHee shrieked, standing up. She thunderously kicked her chair away, making loads of children around her scream and move out of the way. Sohee breathed in deeply, and marched towards Sunhee with a grim face.

‘Sunhee, we do not swear---’ Sohee began, holding onto Sohee’s arm so she could her sensibly out. Sunhee retaliated by biting Sohee’s hand hard, causing her flesh to part and blood begin to ooze out. Sunhee giggled in satisfaction. Sohee couldn't imagine why this young child would do such a thing. Perhaps this was the secret that Heechul didn't want Sohee to learn. W-was his daughter... a monster?

‘YOU ! EVERYONE! THIS SLEPT WITH MY DADDY!’ Sunhee yelled. She glared at Sohee, and then, with the same force she used to kick away the chair, and maybe more, she kicked Sohee’s leg extremely hard, causing Sohee to fall back on one leg. SunHee continued her assault, kneeing Sohee in her head, making her fall backwards and knock her head against a table. Sohee lost consciousness within the next moment. This happened in the space of 3 seconds.

Sohee’s nose was dripping with blood. Sunhee blinked to see her own teacher she previously loved, lying on the floor, almost as if she was dead. The students in the class were stunned to silence. Her eyes felt wet.

‘NO ONE SAY A WORD, YOU HEAR ME?!’ Sunhee shrieked, tears of regret dropping down her eyes. It was too late for her anyway.

The door behind them opened, and Sunhee then remembered she had a dentist appointment in the next 30 minutes, and that her dad would be here… to pick her up and take her.. Sunhee turned to face her father, fear spread across her face.

‘SOHEE!’ Heechul yelled, dashing forward. He kneeled to the floor and put his head on her chest to see if she was breathing. A second later, he gasped and opened . He breathed into her and then thudded her chest. Nothing.

‘SOHEE!’ Heechul bellowed, trying to make her breathe. He turned to look at his daughter, her white, ashen face covered in tears. He noticed Sohee’s hand had been bitten. A child sprinted out the classroom for help. Heechul picked up his phone and dialled the ambulance. He kept trying to resuscitate Sohee, but his efforts were futile. He didn't even look at his daughter again, feeling regret and anger everytime he glimpsed at her.

**

An hour later, Sohee was officially pronounced dead at the state hospital. Heechul was sat next to Sunhee. Both weren’t speaking to eachother. Sunhee was a pretty twelve year old, with straight down brown hair and bright turquoise eyes. Her eyes were one in one billion. Only seven people had eyes like hers. Her body figure was slim, and her features were angelic. Yet, Heechul knew she was a terrible, sinful child, like her mother.

‘Sunhee… was it you?’ Heechul asked after ten minutes. He looked towards the corridor where he knew Sohee’s body would be. He turned and faced his daughter. Her face caused him pain. Was she a devil like her mother? The thoughts of Sunhee’s mother sent chills down Heechul’s back. Bringing up Sunhee was no easy job. Being in love with her previously was tough, and he was thankful he didn't need to love her anymore.

‘N-no.’ SunHee replied tearfully, lying through her teeth.

‘With eyes like yours… I can tell when you lie. They darken, turning black, Sunhee.’ Heechul said softly, turning away from his cursed daughter. It was true. When she lied, her eyes turned black. When she spoke the truth, her eyes were bright and turquoise. When she was sad, they were deep blue. When she was happy, they turned purple. They were all nature’s finest colours.

‘I… I didn’t mean it.’ Sunhee said, looking down. Her eyes turned into a deep blue, and her tears came out blue, too. Heechul’s heart felt like it could explode. He did love his daughter undoubtedly, just like he loved her mother in the darkest part of his soul. Yet, deep inside, he knew it. She would never be good. She’d never behave. Heechul clicked his fingers and two police men grabbed Sunhee and took her away. Sunhee went, for the first time in her life, without a fuss. Heechul looked at his daughters eyes.

It was weird. As she left, they turned… brown. Maybe it was the colour of regret. Heechul shrugged. He lifted up his jacket that lay next to him, and turned to leave. He thought to himself, maybe it was time he met her mother.


 


Thanks for reading^^