Chapter 3

Caging the Souls

"Donghae..." someone called, quiet and broken, words fading in and out of clarifty. "Donghae", louder this time, clearer. Who was calling him? "Donghae!" the voice roared and his eyes snapped open, immediately clenching shut as he was met with the bright glow of sunlight. He hissed, turning on his side as he rubbed his eyes, pushing himself up. "Donghae, open your eyes, we haven't much time!"

Slowly, he opened his eyes, blinking madly against the bright light that shone around them. His breath hitched as he took in the sight, or lack thereof; he was stitting atop a grassy hill. He could hear the waves crashing against the shore, and smell the water, but all around him was a white light. Tears sprang to his eyes as he gazed upon a familiar sight, for once free of the beast chasing him. "Dad." he croaked out, opening his mouth to say more, but his father shook his head, holding up a hand.

"We haven't the time; I only came to warn you."

"Warn me? Of what?"

"The Sea King. He sleeps now, but he'll awaken soon. My time with you is short my son, but heed my words: You must leave the village."

"Leave? But why? This is my," he cut himself off, "It was our home! It's always been home!"

"You can find yourself another home, live a new life. As long as you remain here he won't stop. He holds no power away from the sea. Please, move away from this place, free yourself from his powers before it's too late!" his dad implored. 

Donghae shook his head. "Why?" he rasped, tears stinging his eyes.

"Because it's you he's after, I know not his reasons, only that he desires you in particular."

"And what of you? What will become of you?" Donghae demanded. His father only shook his head, he swallowed heavily before his eyes, heavy with sorrow, but firm in their resolve, pierced his sons.

"Whatever happens to me; I can endure it as long as I know you're safe."

"You're trapped aren't you? It's what the old woman claimed!" Donghae yelped, pupils dilating as he began to tremble, "Your soul's trapped isn't it?"

"Dongha---" His father began, cutting off as the sky around them began to darken, the sun above blanketed in a black cloud that looked eerily similar to a clawed hand as the ground began to shake as an Earth shattering roar resounded around them. The once white light stained crimson.

Donghae whipped his gaze towards his father only to be met with nothing, "Dad!" he screeched, rushing to the edge of the land they'd stood upon and looked wildly around, gaze falling to the crimson tide below as bubbles began to rise. Something erupted from the blood red waters below, he could see two glowing white eyes nearing the waters surface as a black mass began to take form. As he'd backed away from the lands edge, the creature erupted from the water with another cry. As it turned to face Donghae, its eyes narrowed, a fanged cheshire grin splitting his wide jaws once more as he began to coil around the island, his body was as thick as an oak, scales a dark blue hue that darkened at the beasts belly. "So you're the foolish one's son..." it drawled.

This had never happened before, the beast had never spoken to him. With a deep breath, Donghae squared his jaw and lifted his gaze, back straight as he met the dragon's gaze. "My name is Donghae, what have you done with my father? Release him at once, he's caused you no harm!" he barked. A series of short, sharp growls erupted from the dragon, startling Donghae for a moment as he bit his lip. The beast was laughing

"You dare to order me? I could kill you in a second."

"You will release him!"

"Or you'll do what? Attack me? Kill me even?" The dragon laughed again; "You can't harm me."

"Maybe not now." he swallowed, taking a deep shaky breath as he glared up at the dragon, "But I will find a way to free my father from your hold!" he vowed.

The dragon grinned, "Then come to me if you dare." he purred bringing his head lower, towering over Donghae, "Come, and ignore your father's heart felt plea. I'll be waiting for you." he jeered.

Donghae glared up at the beast, hot tears stinging his eyes as he ground out his vow, "I will find you."

The dragon laughed. "Please do!" his laughter cutting off abruptly, "I'm not hiding...I'll give you three days even...if, by that time you havent reached me; I will spend every day you keep me waiting ripping your fathers soul apart bit. By. Bit.  And when you do come," he hissed, "I'll make you repent for your foolish tongue for an eternity!" he roared as the ground beneath Donghae's feet began to fall away, sending Donghae plummeting down into the frothing waters, the dragons coils closing in on him. The last thing he heard was the beasts laughter as its gaping jaws descended upon him, as the beasts jaws clamped over him---.


Donghae woke up, shooting upwards in his bed, body drenched with sweat. Outside a storm was raging.