Last Moment

Her Last Confession

I suggest playing this ^_^v

 

Disclaimer: I don't own this song. I just got this video from youtube, uploaded by unibalance0101
 
_______________________
 

xXxXx

 

 

I never thought that this day would come… I guess I just wasn’t that prepared.
 
Have you ever had that feeling… that you’ve been waiting for that moment, but when it came, it’s as if you didn’t want it to come? 
 
That’s exactly what I’ve felt. Standing in front of her, in our usual spot during lunch, I couldn’t quite read the atmosphere at first, but I knew something was coming.
 
----

Friday: One of every student’s favourite days. I was particularly happy for lunch time for my stomach’s complaining since second period. 

My bento was full, well, a few minutes ago. Now, it’s empty. Didn’t realize I was that hungry. My bento box didn’t have its own cover, so I took out my huge handkerchief and did my best for my bento to fit in it. After wrapping –which is a poorly done job- I leaned my back on the rooftop fence, pushing a little, to feel the steel’s tiny resistance. It’s that sensation of bouncing lightly that I love the most when I do this.

Usually, there are more of us up here during lunch time, but today, it was only Mirai-chan and I. Yuto said he has something to take care of, while Chinen’s on gymnastics practice. Ryuunosuke didn’t come to school, so that leaves just us two.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that though. Trust me. There used to be no problems with anyone of us being alone with Mirai-chan. I mean, go figure. She’s the only girl in our group; but there shouldn’t be any problem being with one of your friends, right? I just hate it when people think it’s inappropriate to be alone with a guy. Should there be issues on everything?

Okay, so my mind wandered a bit I didn’t realize she was standing in front of me. She looked rather disturbed, and as instinct, I felt worried. I stood up straight and got a better look at her face.

I’m no doctor or anything, but I can definitely say that she looks horribly pale today. Why haven’t I notice? Maybe I’ve been so engrossed with my lunch. Come to think of it, she hasn’t spoken much either.

“Daijobu Mirai-chan?” it is the automatic question when you feel like something’s wrong right? I waited for her response. She nodded.

I know I was frowning, and I didn’t like it. I hate it when I feel a little frustrated, it makes me helpless. Nothing special okay, i feel frustrated over the simplest things sometimes, it’s no surprise I’m really anxious about Mirai-chan’s state. 

Of course, I’m not that satisfied with a nod. I walked closer to her, placed a hand over her forehead. I’m not sure if my hand’s just cold, or that she seems a little too warm. “Are you sure?”

She pulled my hand away from her forehead before giving me another nod. Soon, good enough, she said, “I’m okay. Sorry for making you worry.”

“You’re pretty quiet today.” I replied, being all casual and so. I watched as she leaned on the rooftop and I did the same. Among all of us, Mirai-chan and I are the ones who love to do this. Chinen used to say we’re ruining the fence, but who cares.

While we both leaned, i turned my head side-wards to look at her. She was looking at the sky. Then probably to answer my statement, she shook her head before speaking, “I’m just thinking…”

“Oh…” it’s not really my character to ponder over other people’s business. I mean, if Yuto was here he’d ask her about what she’s thinking. Ryuunosuke will probably ask her more and wouldn’t stop until she gives him the answer that he wants. But me? I leave it be.

“Ne, Ryo-kun…” She said, a little quieter than usual. I knew something was coming, something weird.

I waited for the rest of her statement, but it didn’t come soon. 

Oh yeah, and did I mention that Mirai-chan’s the only person calling me “Ryo-kun”? It used to be just my family calling me that, but one time, when we were in elementary, she went to my house. It appears that our mothers are co-workers, and her mother visited our house, well yeah, with her. Cool huh? I was quite surprised actually. How awesome is it to have a friend in school visit your house by chance? That day, we played so much. I don’t have a brother, but Mirai-chan was a little boyish so we got along very well. Before that day ends, she was calling me Ryo-kun and it hasn’t changed ever since.

Remembering those childhood moments, I looked at the Mirai-chan right now, carefully. I say, we both grew up quite well. I was a little glad that Mirai-chan didn’t turn out to be a total tomboy, ‘cause that would be too much of a waste since, I admit, she’s cute and all. Don’t get me wrong, she’s still pretty tough compared to a typical girl, but at least, Mirai-chan still has that girly side she kept insisting she hated. 

Sometimes, my thoughts wander off on their own like this. I was back to reality when I heard Mirai-chan call out my name. She laughed a little. “You look like you’re thinking of something…”

“Huh? I was waiting for whatever else you have to say…” Yeah, I’m usually blunt like this. She’s used to it though.

Her smile disappeared upon hearing my statement. I wonder what I said wrong.

“Nande?” I was growing irritated. She’s like forward, then retreat. I can’t tell what’s going on and I hate it so much when I don’t know what’s happening. “Seriously Mirai-chan, what’s up?”

“Don’t get mad.”

“I’m not.”

“Well you sound like you are.”

“Then I’m telling you, I’m not.”

She stared at me. That stare… it’s something only Mirai-chan could do. It’s only that familiar stare of her that makes me feel this different suffocating feeling. After a few seconds, she looked away; was I glad to breathe. Whenever she does that stare, I feel like I’m being counted my last seconds on earth. I know it’s weird, but that’s how it feels. “Okay then…”

“You’re acting-”

She sighed, deeply, cutting off my line. Then she looked up in the sky, as if telling me to do the same. Not really sure whatever else to expect, I looked up. There was a moment of silence before she said, “Have you ever wondered how many girls actually like you Ryo-kun?”

My eyebrows rose. I’m sure this must be one of the weirdest things I’ve heard from Mirai-chan. “What’s that all of a sudden?”

“Nothing… Just a thought…”

“Wakaranai…” it’s true. Regarding her question, I don’t know, and I probably don’t care.

“I bet lots… millions…”

“That’s exaggeration, coming from you.”

She laughed. See, Mirai-chan always said that girls falling for boys are just the ways of teenage life; she said it’s not really, usually, something genuine. Being my friend for a long, long time, Mirai-chan is quite familiar with how many girls have confessed to me already… actually, to all of us. Being the only girl in our group, girls usually envy her. They say that she’s hugging all the “hot” and “good-looking” guys of our batch. Of course we’re flattered by how they see us, but we didn’t like how they see Mirai-chan. I mean, it’s not her fault we’ve been friends since forever; even back to the days when, let’s say, all four of us -Chinen, Ryuunosuke, Yuto and I- were not that “good-looking” yet. Mirai-chan can’t be compared to other girls in our lives because they haven’t been with us the way Mirai-chan has.

“Why ask that all of a sudden anyway?”

“Betsuni…”

“There you go… telling me it’s nothing after making me fuss up about it.”

“I didn’t ask you to stick your nose into the topic too much.”

“So you don’t want me to answer your question then?”

“Why, do you have an answer?” With this line, she stood up straight. She walked in front of me, facing me. It’s always like this: Mirai-chan in control of the situation. Whenever I feel like I’m being clever, turns out, she’s already more clever.

I pouted my lips, something I usually do when I feel like retreating. Then I gave out a sigh, but didn’t say anything really.

“So then, what? Excluding those who already confessed, do you think there’s a lot more of them out there wanting to have you as a boyfriend?”

This time I stood up straight too. “What? How did it come to a “boyfriend” thing all of a sudden?” My statement came out like a complaint, but it didn’t matter. We were about a feet apart and Mirai-chan being Mirai-chan didn’t move an inch. The little distance between us doesn’t seem to bother her, and that’s because she’s Mirai-chan. I can imagine if it’ll be some other girl in her position, the girl would be stepping away instantly feeling embarrassed and all.

Mirai-chan rolled her eyes before walking away a little, like a police interviewing a possible suspect. “Does it matter? It’s the same context anyway.” She stopped walking and stared at me. This time, there was something different at her stare. It didn’t make me scared the way it used to. Looking at her eyes, I can feel there’s something she’s not telling me; like there’s a real point in this conversation. There’s a reason why she’s asking me all this, but I can’t think of what it is.

Realizing the situation a little better, I figured I should say what I honestly think. “Honestly. I don’t think there are any girls who like me. You know, the real kind of liking.” It was entirely true; I believe nobody likes me for who I really am. i know it sounds kind of cheesy, but that’s what I feel. I mean, how many girls have really seen and known the real me? They like the Yamada-san or Yamachan that they were convinced to see. I personally think they only like the Yamachan they think as handsome, cute, cool, the Yamachan that I play to be. I decided to continue my statement when Mirai-chan looked a little taken aback. “Do you really think those girls like me not because I’m handsome and so and so?” With my statement, I heard Mirai-chan hold back her laughter. “Heck, none of them knows how moody I can get, or how apathetic I am sometimes. Not to mention, that I’m really not as funny as everybody thinks.”

With that, Mirai-chan laughed a little. Oh come on, she’s perfectly getting everything that I’ve said, because she knows what I’m talking about. It was a pure moment of goofiness that I was a little concerned when she kept quiet again.

“No seriously, that’s my answer.” I wanted to tell her that I wasn’t bluffing. You see sometimes, Mirai-chan just wanted the real answer to her question, to make her stop complaining and asking more in depth questions.

She looked at me as if telling me she understands. I find it cool whenever I can read through her you know. It’s not something you can do with just anybody. “Well, I think there would be more girls liking you the moment they learn the real, and true Ryosuke Yamada.”

“Pfft… was that a joke?” I honestly thought she was kidding, trying to bully me.

“No.” Her reply was so firm, I felt my mouth stiffen. “Girls would like you more when they get to know who you really are.”

“Are you speaking in general? Fortune cookie quotes?”

She laughed a little before saying, “No… it’s particularly applicable to you.”

Now she looks really serious and I’m lost. Where is this conversation supposed to go anyway? 

“If you don’t want to believe me fine, but I’m telling you. You’re looking down at yourself a little too much.” She started pacing again, I find it unusual but its Mirai-chan, she does everything randomly.

I didn’t want to believe her, then I suddenly thought that maybe, just maybe, Mirai-chan’s just warning me about a soon confession to come. See, in the past, since she’s a girl, she usually absorbs the news faster than any of us could. Don’t worry, she’s not being a traitor to womankind, believe me. When she learns this and this likes either of us, she keeps it to herself. But when we get confessions and we tell her, then she tells us that she knew that was coming. We complain of course, telling her how useful it’ll be if she’d warn us, but she kept insisting it is better that we don’t know. She said that the reaction would be real if we don’t know anything. So yeah, that’s why, with how our conversation is going at the moment, I thought that maybe Mirai-chan is just preparing me for another confession. Trying to get her to tell me more, I asked, “Name one person who’ll like me for who I am, then I’ll believe you. You’re full of randomness sometimes Mirai-chan.”

“Since when did I give out names?” So I was right, she did found out about someone planning on confessing.

“Then I won’t believe you. Nobody will like me the moment they know who I really am. Hey, I’m not the ideal lover, I swear.”

“Don’t say things like you’re one hundred percent sure about it.” She stopped pacing, thank goodness since I’m already finding it annoying, and she looked at me. “Why do I feel like you just don’t want anybody to like who you really are?”

I wanted to answer ‘because I don’t want them to know the real me’ but I couldn’t. Why? I’m not too sure either. Maybe I’m scared that they’ll see nothing but my flaws. All this time, I was told that I’m playing a role whenever I’m in front of everybody else; the role of being the perfect guy. I’m not doing it to get attention and have girls falling for me, trust me, it’s not that. The reason why I keep playing that role is because it’s the only way for me to keep my real self from other people. There are only a small number of people I let inside myself, and I don’t ever want to change that. Mirai-chan, being one of those people, it makes me a little sad when she asks this question that sounds like she wants me to open myself more to others. I’m contented with them as my friends, I don’t need more.

Maybe she could read that I was growing irritated by how our conversation has progressed. I admit, I’m quite pissed and I wanted to punch something right now. I looked away, I don’t want her to think I’m really mad at her; I’m just pissed. She sighed then looked at the sky before saying, “…Sorry. I didn’t mean to say anything that might make you angry.”

I didn’t really want to reply, but questions kept firing inside my head. “Why are you asking these questions anyway? It’s turning way too serious for my liking.”

“You’re the one who’s not in control with your temper.”

I frowned. What she said was true but still, to say it just like that, can’t she tell that I’m already mad enough? “Heh… You said it yourself. Look at my temper… I tell you… Whatever you say Mirai-chan, no one is going to like me.” I stared at her, making sure she gets the thought that I’m dead serious now. Whether this talk is all about a girl preparing to confess or what, I don’t care. I’m mad. Why? I’m not sure. But I want to give her a piece of my mind. “It’s impossible for someone to like a person like me.”

How emo and awkward do you think this conversation looks, huh? I tell you, it felt like the world turned upside down and people started talking backwards, that’s what it felt like. There was again a moment of horrendous silence. She looked more serious this time when she stared at me. “I wonder Ryo-kun, when are you going to let a girl in your life? I’m hoping you’re not thinking of settling with either among Yuto, Chinen or Ryuunosuke…”

“What are you talking about?” I’m officially weird-out by what she just said.

“You sound like you don’t want to let anybody else inside your life but us.”

“And that’s not okay?”

“I don’t know… let’s say you’re with the four of us for the rest of your life, eventually you’ll have to think of marriage and such, so you’ll choose between Yuto, Chinen or Ryuunosuke?” If you’re thinking Mirai-chan saying some crap, then I’m with you. Her statements aren’t making any sense, and what’s with marriage and stuff? Why is she looking towards the future in such a super-fast pace? But upon hearing her statement, I realize she keeps excluding herself from our group, as if she’s not part of it.

There was again that stupid silence and I took the time to think about the things she just said. After a few deductions and further thinking, I came to a conclusion that Mirai-chan is trying to talk me out into getting to know more girls. I think she wants me to socialize with girls more, since she’s the only girl I usually talk to. 

After realizing that, my heart started beating fast. I felt really scared and I didn’t know what was happening to me. Suddenly, I felt like there’s something strangling me. Why you may ask? I can only recall realizing something.

Perhaps Mirai-chan’s trying to push me away because she found someone she likes and the guy insists that she forgets about us. What if that’s the case?

“Hey! Are you listening?” it’s the first time Mirai-chan raised her voice, well… of what I can remember.

“Let’s just forget about all this talk, shall we?”

“No.”

“Then can you just tell me what you want to gain from all this nonsense, Mirai-chan?” I’m already frustrated. I heard the warning bell rang; lunch time is almost over.

“Nothing. Must there be a hidden agenda on everything I do?”

“I dunno.”

She didn’t say anything back and started packing her bento. She redid mine too, and soon she stood up holding them both and was on her way to the rooftop door. I called her back.

“Chotto matte…”

She looked back at me. She is terribly pale.

“So, do you really think someone would like me, the way I am?” even I myself was surprised at how I seem to have forgotten my side of the agreement. Looking at her, at the moment seeming so fragile, I just felt like asking her the first thing that actually came into my mind when she told me people would like me for me. Suddenly, I felt very transparent, as if she could read through me. And as unpredictable as the world would be, I never imagined hearing what she replied back to me.

“I would. I would definitely love you the way you are Ryo-kun… Actually, I think I already do.” I’m not sure if those were tears in her eyes, or if she was smiling of what, I didn’t even get to say anything back. She was quickly on her way to the door, and soon enough I heard it shut.

I wanted to run after her, to ask her what it meant even though I understood it quite well. But I didn’t say anything back! I should say something, right? But what would I tell her? What can I say?

When I arrived at the classroom, Mirai-chan was gone. Her things were gone too. I only saw my bento on her desk, and I was feeling lost enough to later notice that my handkerchief was gone and there was a note under my bento.

I shoved the note inside my pocket absentmindedly. The day went by, and Yuto and Chinen kept asking me where Mirai-chan was. I tell them I don’t know ‘cause that’s the truth, and only ‘cause I don’t want to talk to anybody. So, tell me… Did my best friend just tell me that she loves me? Is that what happened? ‘Cause if it is, if I’m grasping everything right, then what am I supposed to do?

Later that day, while I took a shower, all I could think was how pale and weak she looked when she said her line. That line that kept playing inside my head like a never ending tune.

“I would. I would definitely love you the way you are Ryo-kun… Actually, I think I already do.”

What is that supposed to accomplish? And why run away after saying it? Doesn’t she want to know what I have to say? Wait... What will I say anyway? I kept asking myself what might have been my response if she didn’t leave so hastily.

I wanted to hit my head on the wall, just so I could understand the pain inside my chest. Saying something like love, why would Mirai-chan look so weak, so pale, so lost? The worst is: she looked very sad. I hated it. She’s always been one of the strongest people I’ve ever known, and seeing her in that state was just unbearable.

I lay on my bed, still her face inside my mind. I skipped on dinner and I was glad none in my family insisted in having me downstairs. They could tell I wasn’t okay and at times like this, I’m better off alone. 

It was not long before I heard my mobile phone ringing. I picked it up, it was Yuto.

“Yama-chan, what happened?”

“Nani?”

“What did you guys talk about?”

“Does that matter?”

“I know something’s up, you could at least tell me…”

I was hesitant, but having someone know might serve me better. I mean, Yuto being my other best friend, I kind of wanted his opinion. “What if I tell you that she told me she likes me…?”

Dead silence, it actually made me really worried. Yuto rarely kept himself quiet, and having told this kind of news, I expected him to blabber more. “Ne Yama-chan… What did you tell her then?”

“Umm… I don’t know, she ran away…”

“You didn’t tell her how you feel?!” Yuto sounded angry, I’m not really sure why. Besides, ‘how I feel?’, what’s that supposed to mean?

“What are you talking about?”

“Let’s not play dumb here, Yama-chan. We all know you love her…”

“What?”

“You do, don’t you?”

“I umm…” So, do I? Does that explain why I have this sickening sensation in my chest? Does that explain why I feel like I wasn’t able to say something and I hated not being able to say it?

“I wish you just told her…” 

There was something in his statement that tells me there’s something wrong. “What’s going on, Yuto?” He didn’t reply so I shouted, “What’s going on!?”

“She’s in the hospital right now…”

Hearing Yuto’s statement, I almost dropped my phone. I can hear Yuto calling out my name over and over and soon I spoke, “Nande…”

“I don’t know okay… I just found out… I called her house, her grandmother said something about her collapsing, I was just… I don’t know, okay!” Yuto, being Yuto, sounded like he was crying already. This guy always had that soft spot in him, and Mirai-chan being so close to us, I can understand why he seemed so frustrated about the news.

Tell me about frustration, I wanted to throw my phone on the wall. I wish what I’m hearing was all just a joke, something Yuto came up to scare me into admitting my feelings for Mirai-chan, but hearing him hold back his tears on the other line, there was nothing else I can think of. I only felt a tear run down my cheek before I spoke, “I’m going. To what hospital was she sent to?”

xXxXx

I really don’t know what to say to her parents the moment Yuto and I arrived. Her mother was sleeping and her dad was the one who greeted us. It was already a little late in the evening but the doctors were nice enough to let us visit.

Seeing her, buried under all these tubes and stuff, I didn’t know what else to think. Wasn’t it just this afternoon, I was arguing with her, much like how we usually do? She did look pale, but she was okay, wasn’t she? Who’s this person now, laying on this white, seemingly-blank bed? It can’t be Mirai-chan… It just can’t.

I leaned my forehead on the ICU’s window, and while staring at her, my mind wandered off. I remembered every line we spoke this afternoon, how we both reached a point where we raised our voices, where we seemed really angry at each other, those awkward silences, and of course, how she told me how she feels. Soon enough, memories of how we played when we were kids flashed inside my head. I can see myself running, chasing that naughty little boyish girl that suddenly came to our house.

Moments after moments, I recalled each and every one of them.

But the most overpowering of all, was that time, at the rooftop this morning…

“I would. I would definitely love you the way you are Ryo-kun… Actually, I think I already do.”

Someone like her, to love someone like me? I’ve always thought Mirai-chan was someone really special. I know there wouldn’t be anybody else like her in my life. So Yuto was right… I am in love with her… All this time… The reason why I didn’t want to know anybody else was because I don’t need anybody else. She’s the only girl I need in my life and I don’t have to know any other. Slowly, I realized why I felt awful when I thought she may have found a guy that she likes, and that guy was telling her to stay away from us. To have Mirai-chan away from me, to not have her beside me, I couldn’t imagine.

Looking at her seemingly lifeless, form, all I could think of was pray. Pray that she could hear me and that she’d soon be okay.

I overheard her dad and a doctor talking a while ago about her having a weak heart, and that it finally reached its limit. What the hell is that supposed to mean? What in the world does that mean? What limit!?

Inside my head, I kept calling her. I wanted her to know that I’m here, and that I have something to say.

You have to wake up Mirai-chan… You have to hear my answer… You’re the only one who can see through the act I play… You’re the only one who knows the real me… You have to wake up… Face me…

You have to know that you’re the only one I can ever think of…

There can’t be anybody else Mirai-chan, there’s no way there can be someone else!

You have to know that you’re the only one I could ever love…

There was a loud, annoying beep. Hearing it, I felt my heart stopped. Eyes-widened, I watched that solid line run across that machine. I knew what it meant, but it must ing be a joke.

Doctors, nurse, people rush in. 

I watched, not blinking as they revive her. It’s just like in the movies right? It’s just a suspense scene. Making you think that the hero is going to die, but after the doctors do their thing, the solid line will go drawing lines up and down again. That’s what’s supposed to happen right?

It was taking them pretty darn long, and I still stared at that solid line. Her mother was already crying and her dad tried to keep himself composed. Yuto insisted on staying behind, sitting on that waiting bench and crying. Why the heck are you crying!? She’s going to be okay soon! The doctors are doing their job, we just have to wait!

It took me a second to look away and when I looked back, I saw the most awful thing in my life. The doctor asked the nurse to stop what she’s doing. She took out that big pump thing that was pumping air on Mirai-chan’s mouth. 

“What are you doing!? Why are you stopping!?” I just heard my own voice shout out loud. Yuto lifted his face and was on time to grab hold of me. I was pounding on the window, honestly I thought it would break. Yuto pulled me away and I kept struggling to break free. 

“Let me go! Tell them they shouldn’t stop!!!” 

Mirai-chan’s mom covered her face with her hands and I saw her sat down on the ground. “Keep reviving her, she’s still there!” I shouted. My words were echoing on the now kind of crowded hallway.

I am stronger than Yuto, if you should know, so soon I was breaking free and I reached for the door. I was able to open it before Mirai-chan’s dad helped Yuto drag me out of the room. It was hard, but I tried to hold onto the door frame. “Let me go! YOU! ‘WHY ARE YOU STOPPING!?” They pulled harder but I held tightly on the frame. I wanted to be inside the room where she is. She needs to know I’m here! I stared at the doctor, tears blocking my view. “DO SOMETHING! SHE HAS TO WAKE UP!”

“Yama-chan!”

“SHE HAS TO WAKE UP! SHE HAS TO KNOW!!!”

“Yama-chan, yamete!” Yuto’s voice was being drown by mine.

“I HAVE TO TELL HER YUTO!!!” I face him, still struggling. My mind was going crazy I was thinking of holding that pumping apparatus and revive her myself if these stupid doctors don’t want to do it. Yuto and Mirai-chan’s dad were soon assisted by some male nurses. Maybe I didn’t know my own strength. Soon, there were about four people trying to pull me away.

With a final struggle, with all my strength, I broke free and stumbled inside the ICU. I fell near Mirai-chan’s bed. Yuto hurried to stop me but I climbed up her bedside, and there lay her now lifeless hand. I was surpised, more like taken aback, to see that she was clutching on a familiar fabric. When I looked closer, it was my handkerchief. 

Seeing her hand, my handkerchief, I cried harder. So she was thinking of me? This time, I couldn’t think of anything but to hold her hand. As I did, it still felt warm, but there was no pulse. No life. I couldn’t imagine how many tears were welling up inside me, and how many are already pouring out.

“MIRAI-CHAN!!!!!”

“Yama-chan… You…” Yuto was stuttering, fumbling on his words as he fights off his tears…

“WAKE UP YOU BAKA! YOU DIDN’T EVEN WAIT FOR WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!”

I cried, I cried… There was nothing else to do…

Soon, my body was so tired, it seemed to have levelled down on its own. I was holding her hand, and my head laid near it. I looked up at her. She’s still as beautiful as Mirai-chan would ever be. “You’re so unfair…”

Yuto tried to help me up my feet but I push him away.

“Why didn’t you listen? Didn’t you want to hear what I have to say?”

I caressed her hand, it’s still so soft.

“I love you Mirai-chan… See? I’m in love with you!” I shouted it out, as loud as I could. “I love you do you understand that! So wake up!” I stood up and looked at her face. She looked almost the same as she did ever since. Beautiful without even trying. 

There was still no response, and the doctors were all gone. Inside the ICU, it was only me, Yuto and Mirai-chan. At that moment, I lost hope. I knew she was gone… but why? “I love you Mirai-chan… you should hear that.. I love you, okay? I…” With that, I felt the deepest sadness I could ever imagine of existing. I tried to hold back what else is left of me and Yuto just held onto my shoulder. Even having a friend doesn’t help. The pain was just too much.

xXxXx

A few days after her funeral, I was standing at the rooftop, where we last talked. It was pretty cold that day, I shoved my hands inside my pocket. I frowned as I pulled out a piece of folded paper.

I opened it and read.

“Ryo-kun… Hey, I just wanted you to know that your world should be wider… open yourself to others and don’t be afraid to get to know more people. You’re restricting yourself too much to us… to me… what if I won’t be here? What would happen to you? You need to be able to stand up without me Ryo-kun… I won’t forever be here…”

I held by my tears. Even with this letter, she sounded so much cleverer than me. I smiled. All this time, she was thinking about me, what would I become… all this time, everything was about me.

I was about to put the letter back inside my pocket when I noticed a quickly scribbled note on the outside…

“No matter what happens, I’ll always be with you. So smile, okay? Somebody actually loves you….”

“Ryo-kun” I was taken aback. I heard her familiar voice and I don’t know what to think. When I turned around, there she stood. Her face ever so bright, so beautiful… 

xXxXx

“Ryo-kun, wake up!!!!” there was a loud hit and I felt my cheeks swollen. Someone was pinching my left cheek. 

“OWWW! That hurts!!!” Eyes widened, I sat up straight. It appears I was slouching on the fence on the rooftop. I opened my eyes and there was Mirai-chan’s face, ever so cute and bright and round. I haven’t seen it as colourful as this though. 

“Finally, you’re so hard to wake up!”

Without thinking twice, as if automatic, I hugged her. She was of course a little taken aback, but she didn’t really push me away too hard.

“What’s with you?”

“You’re okay…”

“You’re having bad dreams?”

I let go of her feeling a little embarrassed then I stood up. “Yup. A horrible one. I’m just glad it’s not real.”

She stood up too and we were on our way back to the classroom. I opened the rooftop door for her and she went in head of me. “What kind of dream was it?”

“Um… nothing…”

“Tell me!”

I let her go down a few more steps then after realizing I wasn’t following her, she looked up at me.

“You think girls would like you if you’re being like that?”

I smiled, then replied, “I don’t need any other girls to like me… I already like someone…”

“Eh?” She chuckled then continued, “Dare?” She was walking back up to where I stood, her eyes curious. She always like picking on me, you see.

I stared at her, hoping and not really hoping that she’d get my message. Then I said, “I’m not telling…”

“You’re so unfair! You think you’re being smart huh?” She pretended to be angry and headed down the stairs. She stopped again when I didn’t follow. “Tell me!”

“Someone that goes by the name of Mirai-chan… I think you know her…”

With what I said, I saw her eyes widen, and even though the stairs were pretty dark, I’m sure I saw her blush. For once, I was able to outsmart Mirai-chan.