Transit

Transit

 

1/1

 

Sehun gritted his teeth. It has been almost an hour and yet he was still stuck in the midst of the people traffic by the subway. He was pissed. For someone who has an exam that started thirty minutes ago, who the hell wouldn’t be? He may be lazy, yes, but he was never this late.  Just my luck!

 

The congestion in the train after being able to sneak in was hellish. The actual process of moving from the platform towards the insides of the cabin was vicious. The concept of personal space was demolished right then and there. Sehun made a big mental note to wake up two hours earlier for the rest of his school days. Really, he even contemplated if it would be sufficient already. He took the train for most of his life, but never ever ever that intense. The ride was pain-sticking long, his body ached and all his energy from his oh-so-precious sleep was long been drained. Being that jaded even before getting to your school was not fun – at all, ever.

Sehun took hold of the safety handles easily (thanks to his height!!), no one could actually mentally prepare themselves from the impact the other passengers may bring when a train stops or starts moving forward. The pressure can actually send you off, to know how the floor of the cabin feels. People squirmed their way in and out of the train, testing the real capacity of each and every cabin. Sehun was amazed at how many people it can contain. It looked smaller than what it could withstand.

 

 

During the fourth stop, Sehun felt a nudge on his ribcage which is quite hard to dismiss. He kept his cool; he knew it was bound to happen because of the current state of the transit. He kept his usual bored sleepy face and looked for the culprit.

“Uhm,,mianhe!” An apologetic angel face made Sehun’s way. Oh,he must be the one who hit my ribs.

“I-it’s fine.”

“Really? Are you sure?” sincerity and worry was evident.

“Yes, it’s fine.” Sehun nodded reassuringly.

“Okay then. Thanks, aish, so congested in here.” The other boy beamed.  Even his smile is angelic. Wait what am I even saying?

No one uttered a word but it was obvious the attention of the two were on each other. Based on their unconscious contest as to who could glance more and stare longer, it wasn’t really that hard to miss.

Another stop. Pressure, imbalance and Sehun just found himself grabbing the other boy by the arm to keep him on his feet. If it weren’t for their current location, it could actually pass as a scene in a romantic movie. Well, at least by the way they stared at each other’s eye.

“T-thank y-you!” the other boy muttered as he recovered his breath from the shock of the impact. It wasn’t that obvious but Sehun was able to catch the small accent that slipped in the other’s voice. Chinese maybe?

“New to subways?” Sehun couldn’t help but ask.

“Not really, just not this congested.”  The other said shyly, a hint shade of pink formed in his cheeks. Sehun just nodded.

 

 

And there was awkward silence.

 

 

“ So…uhm…what’s your name?” the other asked, his doe eyes staring intently at Sehun, breaking the tension and silence in the air.

“ I’m Sehun. Oh Sehun. And you are?”

“It’s Luhan.”  The doe eyed, angelic faced boy replied. He struggled to offer his hand for a handshake. Moving in that place wasn’t really easy. Sehun took Luhan’s hand with a smile, his eyes turning into crescents. Warm hands fitting perfectly, it was as if it wasn’t the first time their hands met.

 

 

A distant female voice on the background announced the current station.

“Oh! This is my stop!” Sehun and Luhan looked at each other, quite shock with their unison. They burst out into laughter. What a coincidence! They squeezed their way out of the subway, laughing at how it seemed more like an obstacle course than what it should really be.

Who would’ve thought they would go down on the same stop, be on the same path, going to the same university and sharing one long blissful conversation.

 

 

 

It’s like an incident after the other, just like dominos falling against each other.

 

 

 

“Sometimes, maybe it’s not really that bad to be late for class,” Oh Sehun thought.