A thousand cranes

A thousand Cranes.

 

18th June 2012.

Dear Diary,

Today, I made a new friend, Aaron Yan. He has really cute, puppy-dog eyes. I just want to cuddle him. ヽ(≥∇≤)ノIt seems like he’s in the hospital because he fractured his leg. It’s just a hairline fracture was what he told me. That’s good; at least it would heal and not hinder his movements in the future.

 I met him at the lounging area in the hospital. He looked lonely in his cast, so I decided to approach him. He didn’t talk much at first though, he seemed wary of me. Hmm, do I look too scary? But I managed to make him open up. By the time I had to go back to my room, I already knew when his birthday was (20th November) and what his favorite colour was (Yellow, blue, green and black).

X

He remembered how they met. It was the day he got admitted to the hospital as he had fractured his leg. He was already in a foul mood, so he wanted to be alone. Unable to find peace in his room, which he shared with three others, he decided to walk around the hospital.

That was how he found himself at the lounging area. It was a rather cozy room with a television playing some soap opera. There were also books and magazines stacked on a table. Sofas were also placed inside the room, and the floors were carpeted.

Settling onto the sofa, he just sat there and stared at the television. He was bored, the soap opera’s plot was cliché and the characters were bland. Just at this moment, a girl stepped into the room.

He remembered thinking what beautiful black hair she had, and when she stared at him, he was captivated by her bright eyes. Before he knew what was happening, the girl had plonked right beside him and started asking his name and stuff.

At first he was wary, she seemed like she’ll be troublesome. She talked too much. However, he soon warmed up to her. Anyone would, really. Her personality was just so bright, and warm. It just made people want to smile when they see her.

It was on that day that two had become friends.

x

1st July 2012

Dear Diary,

I’m having an operation in about an hour. I’m scared, as always. Anyone knows that any operation would have its risk. But because of my sickness… the chance of me dying would be higher. I’m folding cranes now. Like I always do.

Mama told me that if I were able to fold a thousand cranes, my wish would come true. So I’m working hard towards that goal! I’ll have my wish fulfilled one day.

But as I fold these cranes, I’m worried. What if in this operation… I was gone? My wish would not have become true now… But! It’s always best to be positive right?

Aaron visited me today, and I taught him how to fold cranes. He told me that he would try his best to fold the cranes so that my wish would come true quickly. Yay! But I didn’t tell him I had an operation today… I didn’t want him to worry. Luckily, he left before the nurse came in.

I… Hope I’ll still get to see Aaron after this operation.

x

He had already been discharged from the hospital by then, although the cast was still on. On that day, he had went to visit Gui Gui. She was folding cranes, and had explained to him why.

Her mother had told her that a thousand cranes would grant her wish. Gui Gui had told him her wish – to be able to get rid of this sickness and out of the hospital, and to see visit the beach, and have waves crashing against her legs.

He had smiled at her and ruffled her hair.

“Teach me how to fold them? I’ll help you fold them so you’ll reach up to a thousand quickly.”

She had patiently taught him how to, despite him messing up even after numerous tries. But finally, with his clumsy hands, he had folded a paper crane. It was out of shape in some areas, but it was still a fully-made crane. And he was proud of it.

On the way home, he went to the craft shop to grab some coloured paper. He was going to fold many, many cranes at home.

Throughout this whole period, he didn’t even know she had an operation later. Her energetic and positive demeanor had fooled him. But now he knew. And he felt like a total idiot. How could he have not been able to tell? She must have held all her worry in for him.

The fact that he wasn’t there for her was like a huge slap to his face.

x

5th July 2012

Dear Diary,

My operation went well. Incredible in fact. I feel better than I have in years. Did the cranes help? It probably did. Maybe Aaron’s help really did make my wish come closer. Yesterday, he brought me a whole bag of cranes of different colours.

Maybe we have reached a thousand? I’ll count them later. This means that I might get a chance to go the beach? I asked Aaron that, and he approached the nurse. The nurse said yes, since my health did improve. Yay! A trip to the beach! Waves here I come.

Me and Aaron had set a date. A week from now, he’ll bring me to the beach.

x

He had noticed the change in her health, she looked much healthier, instead of sickly. She was also more active, always wanting to walk around the hospital’s compound.

And he was happy. She was getting better, she might even be able to get discharged! On that day, Gui Gui had pestered him about going to the beach, so he went to the nurse. And the nurse gave the OK.

Gui Gui was practically bursting with happiness at that point. Her wish was going to get fulfilled! Even Aaron got affected by her enthusiasm, and they had settled on a date.

11th July 2012.

X

9th July 2012

Dear Diary,

What is happening? Why am I getting worse now? Wasn’t the operation a success? Why…

I counted the number of cranes. There were 990 cranes, just 10 short… Was this why this happened? I’m weak… too weak. I can feel it.

I will be gone soon.

x

Two days, just two days before their outing, she got worse. It was really bad; she could not even get out of the bed. Her face was always pale. Her appetite worsened. The air in her room was becoming more and more depressing. Even her parents did not smile much anymore, as if what they were dreading was going to come true.  

But Aaron didn’t believe it, he didn’t want to believe it. He wasn’t able to accept until she was gone. Gone from this world, gone from his life.

She had died on the 11th of July. The day of her outing.

Was this a joke? Why did this had to happen to such a nice, beautiful, bright girl?

After her funeral, her parents had passed him her diary, saying that she would have wanted him to have it. They had also passed him the bag filled with multi-coloured cranes.

With the bag by his side, he had read through every entry in the diary. There were several, dated back when she was first admitted into the hospital. And as he read, and read, he could feel the tears falling.

He had not cried once, not when she died, not when it was her funeral. But now… he couldn’t help it. It felt like the dam holding his tears had finally broke, and all his grief was pouring out.

Just as he flipped past the last entry, a piece of paper dropped from the book into the sand. He picked it up, and found that it was addressed to him. It was dated on the 10th, one day before she had disappeared from his life.

x

Dear Aaron,

Thanks for always being with me all this while. I really treasured our times together. Thanks for all the memories together, I was really happy. I was really excited for our trip to the beach as well, but… I don’t think we can do it now, huh?

Please don’t cry when I’m gone. You know I would want you to be happy, so smile, Aaron.

I love you.

Farewell,

Gui Gui.

10th July 2012. 

X

Wiping his tears, Aaron tried to smile. But he knew it was forced, his lips trembled.

Tearing the last few blank pages off the diary, he started folding cranes. Until there were 10. Stuffing them into the bag, he ran towards the waves crashing unto the sand, and threw the cranes into the sea.

It was windy that day, some cranes floated up before falling into the big sea. Splatters of colours could be observed as they floated on the waves, back and forth. Back and forth.

A thousand cranes.

“I hope you are happy where you are, Gui Gui. I love you too.”

x

:) Hope you enjoyed it, Cherry! <3