Caught

CHAERIN

 

Chaerin is face to face with her father who had dressed incongruously in the suit and tie, ready to go.

 

“Tell me again?”

 

“Mina Wiegler.”

 

“Then?”

 

“Postcard.”

 

“Then?”

 

“What?”

 

“The address where we meet?”

 

“Stephanstrasse 260. Berlin. Germany.”

 

“What else?”

 

“Adapt or die.”

 

“Think on your feet.”

 

“Even when I’m sleeping.” Her father moves a strand of hair from Chaerin forehead and looks at her with paternal worry. He stands and quietly goes to the door.

 

“Papa...” He doesn’t turn around. “Let’s go.” He said to the young man standing beside him.

 

Seungri look at her with caring eyes. “Be careful. Ich liebe dich (I love you)” he wispered. Gently placing his lips to kiss her and it hold long before he pulled back. Then he follow their father out of the cabin carrying with a small rucksack. 

 

“Remember what I’ve taught you. You’ll be fine.” Her father said. She smiles at his back.

 

“I’ll see you guys there.” She watches them walks into the calm blueness of impending night.

 

At the edge of the mountain there already thirty Special Forces dressed in white snow gear silently abseil down to the ground. The Special OPS Team head through the forest wearing night vision-goggles. Isaac follows close behind the Leader of the Operation who himself follows the tracker signal.

 

“He’s one of ours. Watch your step. He knows we’re coming.” Isaac warned him.

 

After 30 minutes, the Special OPS Forces reached their target point. They get closer as they see the cabin in the night and they approach. It was so silence in the darkness and just the breathing of men in the icy cold could be heard.

 

Chaerin was doing push-ups on her bedroom floor. She stops as she sense their approaching.

 

The Head of OPS waves two special operatives forward. The rest of the team surround the cabin, but at a distance. The two men approach the cabin. One opens the door and the other steps in. Then the first follows close behind. Both are engulfed by darkness.

 

The rest of the forces wait in silence for a radio signal. The Head of Special OPS looses patience and picks up the radio.

 

“Alpha 1? Do you read me?” No response. “I repeat, do you read me?”

 

Isaac looks at the Head of OPS for answers. The Head of OPS waves all thirty of his men closer to the cabin. Guns ready and five other men storm the cabin.

 

The Special OPS storm into the cabin dining area. Through night vision goggles they see the cabin interior. Then two Special OPS team, dead on the floor. Necks broken.

 

Isaac enters to find Chaerin sitting quietly, looking timid and unsure. Just a girl, her eyes shining in the dark.

 

*****

 

Inside the operation room suddenly Mina Weigler heard the telephone in front of her ringing, she talks on the phone.

 

“The target escaped.” 

 

“How did that happen? “

 

“We were thinking maybe he got away in the snow, in the thick snow, or...”  “But he’s in the wind and I have two men down. There were a lot of variables, Mina. Visibility was .”

 

“One man. One day operation. Just find him Isaac. Find him and bring him to me.”

 

“.......There was a kid.” Mina catches her breath, she can’t hear what he’s saying now.

 

“Things out of our control. I’d like to see how you would’ve done it differently.” She doesn’t respond.  “Wiegler?”

 

“Where is she now?”