It's Decided

CHAERIN

Chaerin, Seungri and their father are about to go to their morning routine as if the ice hadn’t broken and the box didn’t exist. Their father straps the bow to his chest and grabs a quiver of bolts.

 

“Will you hunt with me?” Chaerin is sweeping the ground when her father asks her the question.

 

“If you want.”

 

“It’s up to you.” By the time Chaerin has run inside the cabin. As she was about to exits her eyes was at the silver box and she walks over it. She places her finger to the switch, loses her nerve, and exits the cabin.

 

They come back late in the evening. Well it was a usual routine. They had their family dinner. Quiet and nothing much to do. Seungri was sitting near the fire andreads from the encyclopedia, Chaerin snuggled close, and their father is sitting in front of them.

 

“Laika, a mongrel dog from the streets of Moscow, was the first animal to orbit the Earth. She was launched into outer space on the third of November, 1957. Scientists believed humans would be unable to survive conditions of outer space, so flights by animals were viewed as an experimental precursor to human missions. Her rocket was not designed to be retrievable, and Laika had always been intended to die.”

 

“But she didn’t, did she?” Chaerin asked.

 

“They couldn’t bring the rocket back, remember”

 

“I remember, but sometimes I wish you would read it differently. More sad than I will ever know, turns the page and changes the subject.”

 

“When a star collapses, the supernova explosion is 10 billion times brighter than other stars.” Chaerinshuts her eyes and tries to imagine how bright that might be.

 

She couldn’t sleep tonight. She decides to take a fresh air outside the cabin. Although it was dark outside but the air was so fresh and it will ease her mind a bit.

 

“Chaerin?”

 

“Yes.” That calm and soothing voice always melted her heart. Chaerin turn and facing him. She had been avoiding him for the past couple of days and she knows that eventually she has to face him. And it mean this night.

 

“Why don’t you tell me?”

 

“You already know” she replied. There’s a long silent before he continued.

 

“But it’s too dangerous.” He said in whispered tone.

 

“But I’m ready” she said.

 

“It’s not worth to risk your life.”

 

“This is what I’m waiting for.” Seungri eyes are fixed at his lover. He has run out of idea to convince that her plan was way too dangerous. This girl is too determined. He placed a kissed in her forehead and they hugged.

 

Later Chaerin was inside her room. She approaches the metal box and flips the switch before she loses her nerve. A little red light begins to flash.

 

“Come and find me.” She whispers.