Happy

Simple Words: An EXO Drabble Series

Happy:
 

… It’s been almost two hours already…

 

With each passing second, you began to lose hope that your boyfriend would be coming for your date today.

 

It was understandable that Chan Yeol would be late – in fact, you were certain that he would always be late by ten minutes or so on your dates, due to his busy schedule of training and performances.

 

If a girl were to have a boyfriend who was always tardy to their dates, it was practically a given that she would grow sick of the lateness and eventually dump him.

 

However, it was different for you.

 

“Hyeri!” At the sound of your name, you turned your head to the direction of the call to see a familiar tall figure with his fashionable square glasses and tousled auburn hair running towards you.

 

You stood up just as he reached you, blinking at the heavily breathing young man in front of you. “Chan Yeol?”

 

“I-I’m sorry. I know I’m really late and I messed up. I didn’t expect to be held up, but our manager said that we had to have an extra hour in our dance session, today,” He looked up with an apologetic expression on his face as he seemed to be exploring your eyes, searching for some sign of forgiveness. “I’m really sorry,”

 

Now, you could instantly forgive him because, quite frankly, you had gotten used to his lateness and were not too mad at him – you learned to entertain yourself with various things you would bring in your bag and you strategically chose places which had many stores nearby for your dates.

 

But… who said you couldn’t have a little fun?

 

You feigned a frown as you shifted your gaze to the ground and began to imitate sniffling sounds. “I waited two hours for you, you know? I was just about to leave,”

 

Immediately after hearing such heart-breaking words, Chan Yeol grasped his girlfriend’s smaller hands in his and desperately pleaded, “I know, I know. I’m the worst,” He began to rub your smooth hands with his slightly calloused thumbs. “I… I’m really lucky to have such a kind, understanding, and thoughtful girlfriend. The most beautiful girl in the world who accepts me and puts up with all my faults… please, please, give me one more chance,”

 

Hearing his plea, you felt a tug at your heart strings.

 

His sweet words caused a scarlet red color to rush to your cheeks, yet, at the same time, you couldn’t help but feel a bit guilty for causing Chan Yeol to become so flustered. You lifted your head to meet his gaze. “Chan Yeol, I was only kidding,” You grimaced as you attempted to somehow redeem yourself. I’m sorry for making you so nervous. Of course, I would never leave you. I love you way too much. I’m lucky to have you – the most handsome, talented, and sweetest guy in the world,”

 

Retreating your hands from his grasp, you stood on your tip toes in order to cup his cheeks in your palms and smiled. “Now, where’s that contagious happy virus smile I love?”

 

At your request, Chan Yeol gave his famous happy virus grin and embraced your petite body, burying his face into your scented hair. “I really am lucky to have you,” He placed a quick peck on your lips and continued smiling to which you responded with one of your own.

 

Chan Yeol shifted his position and took one of your hands in his as he turned towards a certain direction. “Now, come on. I have to make it up to you with some ice cream,” You beamed. “Let’s go!”

 

As the two of you walked towards your favorite frozen sweets shop, hands intertwined, you smiled to yourself as you began to converse with your boyfriend about both of your days.

 

It was the moments with him that made it all worth while.

 

You were willing to wait for him as long as it took…

 

Because the moments you spent with the happy virus truly made you happy.