19.

Little by Little - because you stay -
JUNG.sooyeon
 
It's one of the summer days when I am waiting for my friend in front of a coffee shop. Today we will attend a showcase from a famous dance group and I will never miss it.
 
They are my motivation to learn dance even harder. I really want to be a great dancer. It's my passion since years ago.
 
"Where is she?" I glance at my wristwatch, loosening my grip on my bag. Fifteen minutes have passed from our meeting plan. "She will definitely treat me for lunch today."
 
Come to think of it, there is one day like this also months ago. I was waiting for my friends to watch the showcase at the bus stop but an unfortunate incident happened.


❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
I was holding a white handbag, looking around to find my friends. As if it's a habit, I loosened the grip as I took a quick look at my wristwatch.
 
That's when a man in black long coat snatched my bag in a split of second. He wore a hat so I couldn't see his face plus I was in a shock state due to the sudden incident.
 
"Help!" I shouted as loud as possible, didn't know what to do. "He stole my bag! Help! Help me!"
 
My phone. My wallet. My ticket for the showcase. Everything was inside the bag. What should I do? I couldn't even think straight anymore.
 
Unfortunately the street was not too crowded and people who wanted to help me were too late to notice my cry. I lost the bag to the jerk who stole it at noon time.
 
That guy surely had guts to do that. It's a lucky thing that he could escape but I swore if I knew who it was, I would make sure he stayed with polices for his little crime.
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
"Ah...," a sudden realization crosses my mind out of the blue. I just remember that it's the day when Aerin's incident of stabbing a man happened. I guess it's indeed one of the worst days in my life ever.
 
I hate Aerin. There is no doubt about it. Knowing that she stabbed a man definitely turned my hatred towards her even worse; she brought shame to my family.
 
Though I must admit I was really happy when I knew I would have a stepsister. I never had one so I wondered what kind of life I would have if I had a younger sister.
 
We could go shopping together. We could talk about boys at night. We could discuss about cosmetics and beauty stuffs every weekend.
 
If only she didn't take everything from me. The love from my parent, the attention from all students at school, and...
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
"Jung Sooyeon?"
 
It's a handsome man with black jacket, waiting from me at the school gate where I taught dance classes. He gave me a genuine smile as he approached me, "You're Jung Sooyeon, aren't you?"
 
I nodded and asked if I could help him and I earned his name as the answer.
 
Jung Yonghwa.
 
We met for the first time around one month ago. I was captivated by his gaze but everything fell apart the moment he mentioned a name as the reason why he wanted to meet me.
 
"I'm a lecturer where your sister, Jung Aerin, study," he started with calm tone. "Can we talk about her, Sooyeon?"
 
That one name caused my mood to swing. I scoffed with sarcasm and looked away, "I'm sorry but I don't remember having any sister. I'm the only child in my family."
 
I didn't understand how Aerin could have a guy like him to come after me and I didn't want to care what the reason either. What didn't I have compare to her actually?
 
"In case you worry, I come here without telling her," Yonghwa stated without changing his expression. "I know that you're just her stepsister but I wan-"
 
"I'm just her stepsister?!" I raised my tone unintentionally. "I didn't ask to be her stepsister. Look I don't know why you want to meet me but I can't help you!"
 
I walked pass him with anger, feeling like a fool for being so emotional because of one girl. I should just pretend that I didn't know her.
 
Yonghwa stopped me with one simple sentence but I ignore it anyway, "You'll regret it one day if you keep hating her."
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
I don't understand what he was talking about. I know it's wrong to hate someone but I bet people will think twice if they're in my shoes.
 
To have everything once in life and then someone just came and took everything from you.
 
Doesn't sound really nice, does it?
 
"Jess?"
 
I return to my senses and turn to face the person I have in mind just now. As if it's a magic, Yonghwa just stepped out from the coffee shop with a girl next to her.
 
The girl looks back at me with confusion in her eyes. She tugs his sleeve cutely, "Oppa?"
 
I don't know why but my heart clenches upon her voice. I turn around and walk away, ignoring Yonghwa's voice which is calling out for me.
 
What is this I'm feeling? Jealousy?
 
When I think I have far enough from them, I stop my pace, trying to catch my breath. I really act like a jealous girl and I feel stupid for it; I really do.
 
Suddenly a hand grabs my wrist, making me to turn and face the person who looks at me with confused look, "Jessica?"
 
Why does Yonghwa follow me? What...
 
"Don't call me with that name as if you're close with me!" I toss his hand away, the only action I have in mind to hide the fact that I'm currently blushing because of him. "Who do you think you are?!"
 
He blinks for numerous times but doesn't show any sign that he is offended with my harsh words. Yonghwa steps back and raises both of his hands, "I'm sorry, Sooyeon. I'm just worried."
 
This guy really doesn't understand anything. We barely know each other and he acts so casual around me.
 
"Whatever," I avoid his gaze and both of us just stand there in silence until Yonghwa breaks the silence eventually.
 
"Don't hate everyone just because they don't fulfill your expectation," he tucks his hands inside of the pockets. "You're a good girl, Jess, I know it."
 
He nods slightly to me and excuses himself, returning to where he should be now.
 
His words stab me as if an imaginary knife just hurt me. What did he mean?