Chapter Two

Don't Tell Me I Can't Love You

Jaemin was bored with the lectures. He tapped the tip on his pencil on the textbook in front of him. Knowing it was pointless to pretend to listen to the stupid teacher any further he pulled out his iPod. He stuck the earphone in and rested his head on his fist.

          He looked to see what his desk partner, Taehwan, was doing since the desk kept jolting back and forth. Taehwan was concentrating on drawing; the tip of his tongue was sticking out as he kept changing angles of the paper. Taehwan flipped his pencil; the new eraser was being destroyed by his violent force. Taehwan was getting frustrated. Jaemin noticed that Taehwan was doing far more erasing than drawing at this point.

“Aish!” Taehwan grumbled and threw his pencil in frustration. It slid off their desk and under the chairs of the people in front of them.

The person, with the pencil under their chair, head shot around to look at Jaemin and Taehwan. Not with anger but with caution and fear of the two thugs that were lazily looking at him. They reached their arm under their chair and picked up Taehwan’s pencil. Then set it on Taehwan’s desk and did a head bow before reclining back into their seat.

“What’s wrong?” Jaemin mouthed to Taehwan. Luckily the teacher hadn’t noticed any of the commotion; even if the teacher did notice they were ignoring it knowing that Taehwan was uncontrollable.

“Can’t draw,” he replied flatly. A shrug and frown was all he did as he gestured to the paper.

“Then…” Jaemin took the drawing paper away from Taehwan; crumpling it up into a jagged sphere. “…stop drawing, stupid.”

“Yah!” Taehwan’s lip snarled up. “I’m your hyung!”

The class turned around looking at Jaemin and Taehwan in the back of the class.

“Lower your voice, damn it.” Jaemin’s head gestured over to the class. “I know. But that doesn’t change that you should already be out of school, but you’re stuck here with worse grades than me.” Jaemin snapped back.

Taehwan pounded his fist onto the desk. The students flinch as well as the teacher.

“Yah Taehwan hyung!” Jaemin raised his voice. “Get a hold of yourself!” Jaemin sat at the edge of his chair, getting ready to stand up if Taehwan tried anything stupid.

Taehwan’s eyes held darkness so filled with hate that it made Jaemin almost tremble in fear, but Taehwan’s eyes soon left Jaemin as his head turned away from Jaemin to face the class. “Sorry Teacher. Go on.” Taehwan laid his head down atop his folded arms on his side of the desk.

Jaemin decided it was best to leave Taehwan alone. He knew that Taehwan needed to be talked to, something must be bothering him to make him this irritated; usually Taehwan was an easy going guy. But Jaemin was afraid that any more words were going to cause a fight. Normally, Jaemin wouldn’t care who or where he fought, but this was his best friend and not to mention one of the best fighters he knew.

Sighing, Jaemin turned away from Taehwan, and waited for class to end. As hours passed, that’s when he noticed something odd, the school day was already going to end but he hadn’t noticed Gina come in to teach. He snapped out of his daze, and looked to Taehwan who still had his head buried in his arms. As another lecture was going on, by a different teacher, Jaemin spoke up “Where’s Seonsang?” The class turned around, and the substitute teacher was startled.

The guy in front of him felt himself in a threatening position so he decided to answer “Didn’t you hear, they said she called in sick.”

Jaemin stood up without notice and stormed out of the classroom. The door slammed behind him. Taehwan woke up from the noise, he noticed his dongsaeng was gone, but decided to go back to sleep.

“Oh!” Yongbin saw Jaemin running off, so he decided to follow. “Yah!” he called for Sangjune, but he remembered Sangjune had not shown up to school. He chased Jaemin down the halls. “Where are we going? Where’s Taehwan hyung? Did Sangjune contact you? Should I call Youngpyo? Where are we-” Yongbin stopped; he stood in front of Jaemin who had turned around. Jaemin was omitting a dark aura as he stared into Yongbin’s eyes. “…What’s wrong?” Yongbin stuttered.

“We’re not going anywhere. I’m going alone.” Jaemin drawled on his words, making sure Yongbin understood clearly. As Yongbin stood dumbfounded, Jaemin departed the school grounds.

Yongbin ran back to Taehwan. He shook him briskly. “Hyung! Hyung! What’s wrong with Jaemin!? Hyung!”

Taehwan shot up throwing Yongbin’s arms off of him. “Get off me! I have no idea what’s wrong with Jaemin! Now go! You’re disturbing class!” He gestured to the teacher who looked like he was about to cry from all the disruptions.

“Since when did you care about class…?” Yongbin backed off, annoyed at everyone being angry at him. He quietly left the classroom. “I’ve got no choice… Youngpyo!” he screamed his dongsaeng’s name as he ran down the halls. The security guard was chasing him. He darted into the hoobaes classroom. “Youngpyo! Emergency! Jaemin ran off! Taehwan’s being an ! And Sangjune disappeared!”

Youngpyo gazed at the bewildered Yongbin calmly. He turned his attention away from Yongbin, completely ignoring him. Instead he looked to his sister, Yoona, “It looks like I’ll be home late again, tell them to not look for me,” Youngpyo grabbed his bag and leisurely followed Yongbin. Yongbin gave Yoona a cheesy grin before being pushed out of the class by an irritated Youngpyo.

“What were you saying?” Youngpyo pulled Yongbin into the empty hallways; he was leading Yongbin trying to avoid the security guard that was frantically looking for them. Yongbin explained everything he knew, which wasn’t much. Youngpyo looked from right to left as he made his way out of the school towards the gates. “So you’re saying… You aren’t with Sangjune?” Youngpyo felt confused having Yongbin alone without Sangjune beside him.

Yongbin nodded. “Yes! Why can’t you believe me?” Yongbin hurried behind Youngpyo. He noticed that Youngpyo was hinting that Sangjune and him were always together.

“What am I supposed to do?” Youngpyo started walking calmly again as he stepped past the gates, off of school grounds. “We’re a one brain team,” Youngpyo pulled out his phone and started dialing Jaemin’s number.

“One brain?” Yongbin was confused by Youngpyo’s simple insult. “Who are you calling?” Yongbin leaned over Youngpyo.

“Jaemin hyung.” Youngpyo was waiting and waiting, but nothing but a dial tone kept playing. Eventually the call was forwarded to voicemail. “No good. He’s not answering.” Youngpyo pushed Yongbin away. “Have you tried calling Sangjune?” Yongbin nodded feverishly, stating that he had called Sangjune a billion times. Youngpyo seemed rather calm despite the chaotic situation piling on his shoulders. “What to do… Let’s call it a day, and hope everything’s back in place by tomorrow.”

“What? But we haven’t even searched for them?” Yongbin furrowed his brows.

“Jaemin hyung doesn’t want to be found, and it doesn’t look like Sangjune hyung does either. It’s best to leave them alone unless you want to fight with them. Yongbin hyung, you told me that Taehwan hyung was being difficult, so I don’t think we’re getting anything out of him either.” Youngpyo shoved his cell phone back into his pocket. “What other choice do we have but to wait?”

“Okay…” Yongbin understood but his face made Youngpyo annoyed; Yongbin looked a little confused and bother. “But…”

“But what?” With frustration Youngpyo walked to intersection.

“Why are talking so much?”

Youngpyo froze in place. He rigidly turned his face to Yongbin. With a scoff he turned away. “I’m going home, you can find your way home from here right?”

“Yeah..?” Yongbin watched as Youngpyo walked away, leaving Yongbin alone again. Yongbin’s forehead creased as he sighed. “What do I do now?” He looked up to the sky as the sun was starting to go down. “Where are you, Sangjune? Jaemin hyung? ” Yongbin frowned, a strong pang of loneliness hitting his heart.