An Old Face [Cass POV]

Two Nerd Girls

 

[Cass POV]

        “As long as you love me,” Justin sang. “I’ll be your solider,” he continued. I yawned as I awoke to his voice. Yes, I know Justin isn’t well liked within the crowd I hang with, but I loved how he sang now. I popped and locked out of my bed.  When Big Sean started to rap I rapped along with him. I belted out my best voice as I dueled with my Justin CD. I finished the song panting I had worked up a sweat, but I was awake. I quickly hopped in the shower. I’m an early riser, and I like to get things done before Tyler wakes up. My walls were lined with thick old rugs, so my sound was barely audible.

       Most days I’ll be waking up as she is getting in from work. It that she worked so much, but that’s what you get when you are two seniors living on your own. I have a job also, but mine involves creating themes, and helping people with computer problems. Sometimes I watch her run off to her job. I can tell that it takes a lot out of her, but she loves it. After a few minutes of washing, drying, and grooming myself I emerged from the bathroom feeling good. I glanced at my watch. It was only 4 am. I decided to finish some of my work. The faster I get my pay check, the better.

       I get paid by commission, so if I’m slow my customer might go somewhere else. That was a risk I couldn’t take. I finished around 5:10 am, and stretched. I rubbed my eyes. I needed to get my new glasses asap. I can’t see that well without them, but I could manage. “I wonder what time she got in,” I said. The soft sound of Metallica filled the air. I tapped my lips trying to decide what I should do next.

       I decided to make us some yummy breakfast and a lunch box. I googled some tasty recipes, and printed them.  With my lips in a small pout I walked to the kitchen. We were missing some of the ingredients, but I really wanted to make it. “I’ll just go to the store,” I said. I studied our food supplies. We were running low. Food, cleaning, and taking care of the apartment were my chores. I made a list of the things we needed. I left a note on the restroom mirror, and left the apartment.

       My shoes made a soft clicking noise as I walked to the grocery store. I didn’t walk around with my earphones in my ears like most. I loved the sound of the world around me. Once I was at the store I started filling the basket with the items on my list. Things went smoothly. I rolled my half-filled cart to the check out. The guy working the morning shift was new. I tilted my head. I had seen him before.

       “78.39,” he said in a soft hushed voice.

       “No problemo,” I said taking out my debit card. I swiped my card and punched in my info as he bagged my things.

       “Why are you out so early?” He asked. His voice was soft like drizzling rain on the leaves of trees. It was soothing, and somehow perfect.

       “It’s actually a little late for me,” I said with a friendly smile. “I’ve been up since 4,” I continued.

       “How come?” He asked.

       “Just the time I wake up,” I replied. “I know you from somewhere,” I said. I wasn’t usually bad with names, but for some reason I couldn’t place his name.

       “I was in your class in the 4th grade,” he said. His face was a little hurt. My memory quickly searched for the dusty file belonging to my 4th grade year.

       “Taeyang?” I questioned. He gave me a little nod. Figures I didn’t remember him. He was only in our class for a few months, and I liked him. Let’s just say the experience wasn’t a pleasant one. I suppose my subconscious blocked that horribly embarrassing memory. I’d changed a lot since then, but so had he. He wasn’t that loud young play boy I remembered.

       “I just moved back a few months ago. I’ve seen you around school.” He said.

       “Really? How come you haven’t said hello?” I asked taking my bags in my arms. Damn it, I should have brought only what we needed before I left. I mentally kicked myself. Sure we only lived two blocks away from the store, but it was still two blocks with heavy bags. He must have noticed my face.

       “Do you need help carrying it to your car?” He asked. I shook my head.

       “No…I walked. No worries, I can manage,” I said. I had all the bags in my hands. They were heavy, but I was determined to make it home.

       “Would you like me to give you a ride?” He asked. Once again I shook my head.

       “No.” I said in one statement. He seemed nice, but I didn’t want to invite him back into my life. I was a kid and it was only a kiss, but forced myself to forget it for a reason.

       “I’m sorry,” he said looking down.

       “It isn’t your fault I over shopped I said with that same kind smile. I knew how to put up a mask.  I didn’t like it, and I didn’t use it often. I quickly jogged out of the store. Stupid mind, stupid Taeyang, stupid me, I thought as I walked home. Why had I let my pride get in the way? I was half way home and my arms were starting to burn.

       “Do you need help miss?” A voice said to the left of me. I shook my head not needing to look in it’s direction.

       “No thank you,” I said without breaking a pace.

       When I arrived home, it was an hour until school. I quickly put away the groceries, and prepared some pancakes for us. “TYLER BREAKFAST IS READY,” I yelled. I started to make our lunch. It wasn’t the cute lunch I planned, but I could do that tomorrow. I packed mine in my custom Supernatural lunch box. I held my hand over my heart. Ah, Dean I love you, I thought.

       “I love you too, Cass,” Tyler said trying to imitate his voice. I grinned at her.

       “Then marry me Dean!” I exclaimed. We started laughing. I packed her lunch in her lunch box, and ate my food. We walked to school; we walk everywhere. It’s not only cheaper, but green. “I finished the assignment you gave me, and I even re-did the tumblr for the school.” I said with a smile. It wasn’t an official school thing, but it was something I put together. The students, parents, staff, and officials could take a peek at our everyday lives, and it was a good source for upcoming school events. We didn’t only make a big deal out of the “popular” things, but everything that is happening around school. “I have Folklorico practice so I’m going to have to leave early. Tyler,” I said looking her dead in her eyes. “If there is still work to be done leave it on my desk. I’m going to swing by after practice to check the tumblr, and upload some stuff I haven’t done yet. I don’t want you leave for work so late again.”

       We walked to our class. A smirk was plastered on to my face as I saw that guy Tyler was checking out yesterday. I playfully nudged her. “Hey look there is your man,” I whispered. She gave me a little glare, but I just smiled. She tried so hard to seem so serious, professional, and the perfect student, but I knew she was a goof ball beneath it all. My smile faded as  I spotted Taeyang. I let out a little groan.

       “Hey, I know you,” A familiar voice said. I turned in his direction. A nicely dressed boy around my height stared back at me. Oh great, I’m forgetting people left and right. “Well I don’t really know you, as much as I saw you earlier today,” He continued.

       “Oh,” I said. “Are you that voice that offered to help me out?” I questioned. He nodded, and smiled. He had a nice smile. A smile that was bright and sincere.  “I’m Cass Lopez,” I said extending my hand. “I’m the school VP and tech head.” He shook my hand.

       “I’m Jiyong.” He smiled, “I just moved here from the west coast.”

       “Welcome to our school, Jiyong,” I smiled. With my head tilted fifteen degrees, my light smile, naturally rosy cheeks, and my overall good mood it might have seen like I was flirting. WRONG. I’ve never liked another boy since I laid my eyes on Dean Winchester.  We took our seats, and our oh-so-excited-to-be-here teacher introduced the two new students. I looked around at the now crowded class. I started to take notes, hanging on her every word. I loved school; from the subject matter to the lame cafeteria food. Where would we ever get inspiration from if we didn’t have that crummy cafeteria food? At the end of the class period we all turned in our assignment. The day went by quickly, and before I knew it I was in Foklorico practice.

       “This dance is mixture between modern and traditional dance,” our instructor said in her rich Spanish accent. Once practice was over I walked to the Student council room. I started work on the tumblr sight. I got home around 7 pm, and was tired. I dragged my feet to the shower, and took a bath. From the moment my head hit the pillow I was lost in a deep sleep.