Final

Pressured

Joojin and Leo finally arrived at the funeral home. They set a couple of small flowers by the picture frame of their parents. Leo was quiet the whole time. Then they went to back of the funeral home, where they walked up a couple of steep hills to finally see two mounds and a grave stone with their parent’s names and the day of their births as well as their death date.

Leo helped place the fruit by the grave stone as Joojin filled up two cups with soju. She then placed it in front of each of her parent’s mounds. She then grabbed Leo’s wrist and made him follow what she was doing. Joojin got onto her knees and bowed to her parents. Then Leo followed suit.

After bowing to their parents, Joojin let Leo play games on her phone to distract him. He was still too young to know what to say to his parents, especially to those who aren’t living anymore. Joojin then took a deep breath and looked at the mounds in front of her, “Umma. Appa. How are you guys doing? If you’re asking about us, we’re trying our best to get through life. Chaehwan’s parents are letting us stay at their place for now.” She could already feel tears forming at her eyelids. “So, today is your death anniversary. Wah~ I can’t believe it has been already a year that past since you both left us.” Joojin tried to blink the upcoming tears that were coming. “Leo and I are going to do our best to stay strong. That’s what you taught me.”

Leo looked up from the phone to look at his sister. He saw that she was fighting back tears, which made him sad as well. “N-Noona…” Then he burst into tears. Joojin quickly turned from her parents to see Leo bawling. That triggered her own tears to fall.

She crawled over to Leo as she wrapped her arms around him, “Shhhh. Don’t cry Leo yah.” She sniffled. “We have to be strong. If umma and appa aren’t here anymore, you have me, your Joojin noona. You also have Hwannie noona and her parents. They’re our family as well. Remember that you’re not alone. If umma and appa aren’t here physically, they’re here in your heart.” She touched his small chest. Leo continued to cry and Joojin continued to hug him.

Before they knew it, it was already getting late. Joojin carried Leo down the hill as she didn’t want him to roll all the way down. As they arrived at the bottom, it started to rain. They quickly went to shelter under the funeral home. “Omo. Where did this rain come from?” Joojin said.

Leo started shivering. “N-Noona… I’m cold.”

Joojin worriedly glanced at Leo. She took off her jacket, leaving her only in her sweater and wrapped the jacket around him. “Better?” He nodded his head. She looked around the funeral home and saw that no one was there. They needed to get to the bus stop soon so they wouldn’t miss the next train back to Seoul. Joojin bent down, “Leo, get on.”

“Where we going?” he asked.

She giggled, “Home silly.” He hesitantly climbed onto his sister’s back. “Put on the hood Leo yah. So you don’t get pelted by the rain.” He did as told and then Joojin started walking towards the nearest bus stop in the rain. Rain pelted her from head to toe, but she needed to get home.

At the same time, Lay came out of his friend’s house. He opened his umbrella as it was raining and faced his friend. “It was great seeing you again. I hope you get well soon.”

His friend smiled, “Thanks Lay. I could always count on you whenever I’m feeling down because of my leg injury.”

Lay smiled back, “No problem dude. Just don’t tire yourself out too much.”

His friend scoffed, “I should be the one saying that. You’re going to be debuting into a boy group soon. How does it feel?”

“A lot of pressure. But I think it’s all worth it in the end, right?” They both laughed and Lay waved goodbye to his friend as he walked towards the nearest bus stop.

Leo worriedly glanced at Joojin as she began to breathe heavily. “Noona. Gwenchanayo?” Joojin ignored him as she continued her way to the bus stop, but everything began to get blurry and her head started to hurt. That was then that she collapsed. “NOONA!!!” Leo cried.

Lay was walking down the hill from his friend’s house when he noticed a tiny figure bend down next to someone lying on the ground trying to wake them up. He rushed over to see what was happening. “Yah. Little boy. What happened?” Just then the little boy looked up at him. Lay’s eyes widened, “Leo?!”

He quickly looked at the figure on the ground to see that it was Joojin, unconscious. “H-Hyung… Noona fell. She cold. No jacket.” Leo sniffled.

Lay looked at Leo as he wore two jackets. He then knew that Joojin had given Leo her jacket to protect him from the rain. He pulled Joojin unto his back, grabbed Leo’s hand and rushed back to his friend’s house. He violently knocked on the door, scaring his friend’s umma as he rushed in past her. “Ahjumma, please help her.”

After changing Joojin into new clothes and bringing her temperature down, the woman came out of the room. She looked at Lay, who was walking back and forth in worry. She smiled at his worried self, “She’s fine. She’ll be better by the morning.” She looked at the little boy, “I should give the boy a bath. Don’t want the little one to get sick as well.”

Leo, who was with Lay’s friend, went with the woman to the bathroom. Lay’s friend stood up and looked at Lay, “So… Who’s the girl?”

Lay averted eye contact with his friend, “Just someone I met earlier today on my way here to Hongdae.”

His friend raised an eyebrow, “Cheolmayo? It seems like you’ve known her for a while now. Not just from this morning.” He teased.

Lay remained quiet and looked at his phone to distract himself. He noticed the time, “. I forgot to tell the others I can’t make it home tonight.” He quickly called his friends his situation.

The next morning, Joojin slowly opened her eyes and sat up to look at her surroundings. “Where am I?” As she began to looked more around, she noticed something. Her eyes widened, “Leo?!” She quickly got out of the bed, not noticing that he clothes from the other day were different, and ran out of the bedroom she was in.

She entered into the living room, looking around at the new surrounding area around her. “Oh, you’re awake. Are you feeling better now, dear?” A woman maybe in her early-40’s said.

Joojin turned around to face the woman. She bowed and nervously looked down, “Ah, nae.” Joojin began to look around the place.

The woman laughed, “If you’re looking for your brother, he’s sleeping in the other bedroom with Lay.”

Joojin looked at her in confusion, “Lay?” She walked over to another door and opened it. Joojin poked her head in and saw two beds in there. The bed on the right was of the woman’s son. A small gasp escaped Joojin’s mouth as she saw Leo snuggly sleeping in Lay’s arms. “Yixing?”

The woman nodded her head and closed the door, “He found you two in the rain. You collapsed in the rain as your brother tried to help you. Luckily Lay found you guys.”

Joojin looked down in embarrassment, “Mianhaeyo ahjumma for intruding.”

She let out a hearty laugh, “Aniyo. It’s okay. How about you help me make breakfast before the boys wake up?” Joojin agreed and walked with the woman to the kitchen.

Lay’s eyes fluttered open fro his sleep. He went to move his arm to stretch but then noticed a light weight on it. He looked down at Leo in his arms still sleeping. He smiled and gently moved Leo’s small head and slipped himself off the bed. He looked over at his friend sleeping with his arms over his head, mouth widely open with visible drool trailing down in chin, and his legs widely spread with the blanket at his feet. He softly laughed at his friend’s strange sleeping pose and placed the blanket back onto him.

Joojin, placing the last plate onto the table, was already starting the dishes. The woman lightly pushed her away. “You don’t have to do this. I’ll make the boys do it since we cooked.” She smiled and they both laughed. “Go call the boys.”

Joojin obediently listened and walked to the boys’ room. As she was about to open the door, the door opened, revealing Lay. “Oh.” He said.

She backed away and looked down, “Uh... B-Breakfast is ready.” He nodded his head.

As Joojin was about to walk past him to go wake Leo up, he grabbed her wrist. She froze as he pulled her back and looked at her. Lay examined her face with his eyes and finally touched her forehead. “You’re fever is gone.” He spoke. Joojin nodded her head and looked up at him. Lay looked back and gave her a dimple smile, “I’m glad that you’re okay. You really worried me when I saw you on the ground.”

Before Joojin could respond, Leo’s cries broke eye contact with lay. She quickly went to him. Lay had to admit, he had never experienced worrying for a girl before. He always took care of himself and his band mates. He felt a strong pressure in his chest. He tried to cough it out and hit his chest to somehow take the feeling away. ‘What the hell is this?’ he thought to himself as he went to the bathroom.

After getting Leo and bringing him to the table, Lay, his friend, and the woman sat at the table to start eating. Joojin, being the responsible one, didn’t eat until Leo was fed. The woman told her to eat as she offered to feed Leo. Lay looked at the scene as Joojin hesitantly ate.

He smiled and placed a piece of bacon on her plate, “Eat up Joojin ah. Don’t want ahjumma to feed you too.”

Joojin couldn’t help but crack a smile and looked at him, “Ne~” They both laughed, causing his friends to look between them. He saw that Lay just watch Joojin eat. He smirked and continued to eat.

As Joojin went to call Chaehwan where she was, Lay brought Leo to the living room to play with him. Then Lay’s friend came in and saw the scene. He sat in a chair right across of Lay and Leo. As Leo was distracted with Lay’s I-Pad, his friend started to talk, “Did you call your band mates?”

“Huh?” Lay asked and scratched the back of his head, “Uh. Not yet. I guess I should call them.” As he was about to get his phone, Leo wanted to play another game on the I-Pad.

“You know getting attached to them is going to be hard for you once you debut. You’re going to be really busy and you might have to go to China as you’re going to be promoting for the Chinese music industry.” His friend said.

Lay looked down, feeling uncomfortable. Joojin had heard what he said. Was she getting attached to Lay? She looked at Leo as he smiled up at Lay. Her heart tightened at the scene. She needed to get away soon. Luckily, Chaehwan and Driver Jung were on their way to pick them up, but it was going to be a long wait.

After about 3 hours of bonding with Lay, Chaehwan had called saying that they were close. As Joojin changed back into her clothes, to which the woman had washed and dried for her, Driver Kim was already at the car, holding the card oor open for them.

Lay and his friend stared at the scene, “Whoa. Is she rich or what?” his friend asked. Lay just continued to stare.

As Leo caught sight of Chaehwan, a big smile plastered on his face, “Hwannie noona!!!!”

She smiled and looked at the boys. Joojin had arrived in front of her. Chaehwan then nudged her, “Whose he? He’s cute. Is he your boyfriend? He keeps staring at you.”

Joojin’s face turned red as she furiously shook her head, “Aniyo! He’s just the boy that helped me yesterday.”

“Ah. The boy that’s debuting in a boy group.” Chaehwan said.

Joojin lightly shoved Chaehwan as she kept on talking about Lay. Joojin went towards then and bowed, “Kamsamida for your hospitality. I really appreciated it.”

The woman smiled, “It was no problem at all. If you’re coming to Hongdae again, please visit.” She said. Her son nodded his head in agreement.

“Well, we should get going.” Joojin bowed to them again and went to turn around, but was stopped.

“Chakkaman.” Lay’s friend called. He clapped a hand on Lay’s shoulder, “Lay needs a ride back to Seoul. Could he catch a ride back with you guys?”

Lay looked at his friend, “What are you doing?” he whispered.

“You like the girl. Why not get closer on your way back and maybe exchange numbers or something. I know you really don’t want to leave them.” His friend explained.

Lay didn’t want to admit it, but his friend was right. He didn’t want to leave Joojin or Leo. With just one day spent together, they are already attached. He looked at Joojin, who was already looking back at him. “Sure!” Chaehwan said from the car. “I could sit in the front with the driver as you three could take the backseats.”

Lay quickly got his things, hugged the woman, and did a hand shake with his friend before leaving to the car. They all waved the two- member family and the car was filled with silence. As Chaehwan fell asleep in the passenger seat and Leo lying against Joojin, her and Lay were the only ones awake, as well as Driver Jung of course.

“So… You’re debuting soon.” Joojin started a conversation.

“Ne…” was all Lay answered and silence filled the place. He didn’t know it but only about an hour past. Before he knew it, Joojin had fallen asleep as well. She was clutching onto her phone until it slipped out of her hands as she slept. Lay retrieved it before it got more lost in the shaky car. As he was about to put it back into her hands, he looked through her phone. Then an idea came into his head.

Once they arrived back in Seoul, Driver Jung asked Lay where he could be dropped off. He drove towards the SM building and once it stopped in front of the building, he looked back at the sleeping figures next to him. Lay smiled, ‘I’ll never forget you two. Goodbye Leo and Joojin.’ He thanked Driver Jung and exited the car.

Joojin had woken up by the car running over a speed bump and she hit her head against the window. She rubbed her eyes to take away the sleepiness and looked around the car. She noticed the car was of one less person. Lay was nowhere in sight. Her shoulders slumped down in disappointment. ‘He didn’t even say goodbye.’

As Driver Jung had drove up the driveway, Mrs. Park ran down the staircase towards the car. As Driver Jung opened the door, she pulled Joojin and Leo into her arms, embracing them tightly. “I’m so glad that you two are safe. I was worried sick that I didn’t get a wink of sleep.”

“You mean we were worried sick.” Mr. Park corrected.

As Joojin brought Leo up to their room, her phone vibrated with a text. She looked at the name: Zhang Yixing. Her eyes widened, “Y-Yixing?”

Haha. Hello Joojin ah.

Mianhaeyo for not properly telling you goodbye.

You and Leo looked peaceful asleep that I couldn’t bear to wake you up from your sleep.

If you’re thinking about how I got your number, while you were asleep, I kind of took your phone and put my number in.

Hope you’re not upset. ^^

Well anyway, I was hoping that we could keep contact if you’d like.

-Yixing

She smiled at the text.

Annyeong Yixing shi. I’m not upset.

I’d like to keep in contact with you too.

Leo was wondering where you ran off to. Haha

Also, good luck with your upcoming debut.

We’ll support you. FIGHTING!

-Joojin

It was Lay’s turn to smile this time. As he began to text Joojin, Kris called him over so they could practice one more time. He quickly moved his fingers along the screen and tucked his phone into his backpack after running to his position on the dance floor. After changing, Joojin saw her phone blink with a message.

We’ll continue our talk later.

Got to go practice now.

Talk to you soon.

-Yixing

She smiled as her heart exploded with happiness. Lay and Joojin continued to talk even after his debut. She started to feel hesitant when talking to or texting him. She didn’t want him to end up in any scandals as he’s a rookie in the music industry. But Lay reassured her and also asked her to be his girlfriend. Now wouldn’t that just add more pressure to their lives?

****************************

Sorry for the y ending.

I lost my idea as my mind was dealing with some personal problems.

I hope I didn;t disappoint you guys.

I'll be back with anothe roneshot. Another Exo-M oneshot coming up.