The First Space

The Space Between (discontinued)

 

CHAPTER 1

 

Yong Junhyung

 

If there’s anywhere Junhyung loved to be in the most, it will be the recording studio where he makes his own musical compositions and makes aspiring musical artists to sing his songs. Another day in Seoul University of Music and Performing Arts means another day to enhance his skills and talents. Being the hardworking and passionate guy that he is, every second of music counts.

 

He tapped his pen on a musical sheet as he bobbed his head to the rhythm of the music he just composed. He mouthed the lyrics silently to himself when suddenly someone tapped his shoulder. He swiveled his rotating chair to look at the person who tapped him and smiled to see a guy who looked confused and had a questioning look on his face. He immediately took off his earphones and stood up to talk.

 

“Yong Junhyung. 2nd year Music student, majoring in composition.” He offered a hand with a half smile on his face. “You are?”

 

The other guy who seemed lost and looked a little nervous cleared his throat before extending his own hand to shake Junhyung’s. “Lee Kikwang. 2nd year Music student, major in singing, minor in dancing.” He managed to flash a smile while shaking the hand of the guy known to be a prodigy in music composition.

 

“Oh! You’re the guy I’ll be working with for the whole semester, right? You’ll be singing my songs.”  Junhyung then let go of the handshake and crossed his arms over his chest, finally chuckling at the Kikwang.

 

Kikwang’s smile grew wider, making his eyes almost disappear from sight. “Yeah! And I’m really looking forward to it. Heard a lot of praises about you, Junhyung-ssi. You’re….wow.” He found it hard to look for a specific praise for his seeming innate talent.

 

Junhyung laughed at Kikwang’s praises. He usually laughs when he feels embarrassed. A funny little habit of his. “Please. Just call me Junhyung. Drop the formality. I’m sure we’ll be good friends.” He turned his back to get the musical sheet where he wrote his composition in and handed it to Kikwang. “Here’s the first piece. ‘I Like You The Best’. We can practice this today. You can come in the booth whenever you’re ready. Then we can start working. Alright?” He suddenly turned all-business after the warm greetings but he managed to give Kikwang an encouraging smile.

 

Kikwang glanced at the musical sheet, almost immediately humming the tune to himself as he scanned through the written notes. He looked up at Junhyung to give him an approving smile when his phone rang. He bowed apologetically at Junhyung and Junhyung only gave him a nod suggesting that “it’s okay”. He picked up his phone and spoke up, “Hyosung…. I’m in the middle of…. Yeah. Okay…. See you later…. Yeah. I love you…. Good luck, baby.”

 

While Kikwang was busy talking on his phone, Junhyung sat down on his chair adjusting the mixing console and digital audio workstation thinking that once Kikwang is done with his phone call, they can already start working on his song. But just as Kikwang was done with his phone call, his phone rang and he was left with a message. He read it silently as Kikwang went inside the recording booth.

 

Hara: Oppa~ How are you? I hope you’re doing fine. ^w^ Come by at the theater when you’re done, okay? Wish me luck! I love you. <3

 

Junhyung chuckled to himself and shook his head before he typed a reply to his girlfriend of almost a year now.

 

Junhyung: I’m working. I’ll come by once I’m done. Good luck, babe. I love you too.

 

He put his phone down and put on his earphones. He pressed on a button and talked on the microphone. “Sound check. Kikwang, can you hear me?”

 

Kikwang has now worn his earphones and talked through his own microphone. “All set, Junhyung.”

 

“Okay. We’ll start our trial recording in…” He lifted his hand up and stretched his palm, bending down a finger with every second. And after five counts, the music played and Kikwang started singing to the melody of ‘I Like You The Best.’ A day in the life of Yong Junhyung.

 

 

Jeon Hyosung

 

“Okay, people. We’ll start the rehearsal in 5 minutes so get into your places. Backstage crew, know your cues. Dancers and actors, know your places and where your entrance and exit will be. Pianists and other musical students, try not to mess up please. Thank you. Costumes and make-ups…. Don’t take long coffee breaks, okay? I don’t want to send in people to look for you guys. Everyone, I know you’re all stressed out right now since this is the final dress rehearsals. But let’s keep our minds and hearts to where our passions lead us and enjoy every moment of it. We’re not after a standing ovation. We’re after touching people’s hearts. Okay, good luck everyone. 5 minutes starts now.”

 

Hyosung spoke on the mic and clicked on her stopwatch after her short speech, monitoring the 5 minute cue she gave everyone for last minute adjustments and check-ups. Her life revolves around the confinement of the theater. Her reality is her fantasy. And her fantasy turns into reality. She is notorious to be the strictest and most demanding stage director around campus. She’s a perfectionist and she likes everything to be right on schedule. Anything that happens beyond her prediction will surely make her blow up. However, she is known to be the most encouraging and passionate director there is. Anything that pleases her will be rewarded with her famous gummy smile. Any dancer, actor, crew or extras that has seen it…. They all want to see more. That’s why everybody tries to impress her.

 

She stared as her stopwatch reached the end of the time allotted. Almost as if by instincts, the backstage director cued the curtains to be opened. And once it did... Hyosung thought it was magical. The music, the dance, the storyline, the lights, the props, the costumes. Everything falling into place. But as a director, she needed to be watchful of everything. Taking down notes for criticisms and praises after the rehearsals. Planning the individual approaches she will make later on for the benefit of another sold-out show at night time that same day. And this is her most favorite ballet play: The Nutcracker. This is probably the heaviest stage production she directed in her university life and she is ready for criticisms and encouragements for more projects like these.

 

As the play came to an end, she stood up and clapped her hands as loud as she could. She felt proud of the whole cast and crew for putting up the good work. “Wow. Bravo, everyone. That was amazing. Let’s calm ourselves down for 4 hours before the showing and hope for a full house. Keep up the good work everyone! Remember, the casts aren’t allowed to go out. Only the staff. So if you guys want anything, make sure to ask the staff nicely and politely. We’ll start our break now.” She flashed her gummy smile and walked towards the backstage to talk to the main lead ballet dancer, Goo Hara.

 

She stepped behind Hara who was sitting in front of a well-lit mirror and smiled as the girl spotted her. Hara turned around and stood up to give Hyosung a slight bow as a greeting. “Hyosung-ssi, annyeong.”

 

Hyosung smiled at her and shook her head, “It’s okay to be informal around me. I’m not a teacher. I’m just a mere student like you.” She sat down on a chair beside Hara’s.

 

Hara chuckled and sat down on her chair, facing Hyosung. “Can I call you Hyosung-unnie then?” Hyosung’s smile widened and she nodded in approval. “I’d like that.” She cleared and got back into her business tone. “Well, Hara. You are amazing on stage. And your beauty cooperates with it. You just shine. You dazzle people. And with your smooth movements… stunning. Keep your smile whenever you need to. Put more emotions to different scenes. It’s okay to lose yourself while on stage. Don’t be scared for that to happen. That’s when everything falls into place. Your connection with your partner… it’s breath taking. Keep it up. One little advice though.” Hyosung managed to flash her gummy smile as she put her hand on Hara’s bare shoulder, “Become the character, become the movement. Then everything will be perfect.”

 

Because of Hyosung’s words, Hara just felt her passion burning up inside and wants to strive for perfection. She smiled so wide her cheeks started to hurt a little. “Thank you very much, Hyosung-unnie. Your words are very encouraging. I won’t fail you, unnie.” Just before Hara could hug Hyosung, her phone rang. Hyosung smiled and nodded, “You can pick it up.”

 

Hara smiled back and picked up her phone call, “Jun-oppa? … Yeah. It’s around 6pm. … I reserved the front seat for you…. Yes~ …. I love you too, oppa.” Hyosung overheard everything but she just stared at her reflection on the mirror, debating whether or not she needed to freshen up. Her thoughts were interrupted by Hara calling out her name. “Unnie, thank you.”

 

Hyosung shook her head as she smiled. “It’s my job to keep up your passion and make you the best you can be. Well I think your boyfriend is watching so make sure you leave him gaping his mouth open the whole time.” She chuckled along with Hara. “I will, unnie.”

 

Hyosung stood up to give Hara her privacy when she felt her phone vibrate. She looked at it and saw her boyfriend sent her a message.  She read her text in the middle of the backstage hall.

 

Kikwang: Baby, I’m almost done with my recording. The lyrics of the song make me think of you. T__T I miss you already. I can’t wait to see you later. We’ll sit next to each other right? I love you so much. <3

** “nan niga jeil joa niga jeil yeppeo~
jina ganeun gotgot maeryeogi da heulreo~
niga jeil joa neo hanamyeon dwae~
gaseume saegyeo dwo niga sesang eseo jeil sojunghae~”

 

Hyosung laughed silently to herself as she read her boyfriend’s text message and blushed a little when she read what seemed to be the lyrics of the song he was talking about. After spazzing inside, she finally managed to reply to Kikwang.

 

Hyosung: Aigoo, baby! xD You’re making me laugh by myself here. Stop making me look like an idiot. >///< I miss you too. Yes, we’ll sit next to each other. Don’t forget my favorite flowers. ;D I love you so much too. <3 And that song is so sweet. Give my regards to the composer. ^^

 

She smiled to herself after sending the text and went into rooms after rooms giving words of encouragement to all her cast, crews and staff. A day in the life of Jeon Hyosung.

 


** “I like you the most, you’re the prettiest
Wherever you pass by, your charm overflows
I like you the most, I only need you
Engrave it in your heart, you’re the most precious in the world”

====================================================

AYO WHADDUP.
So first chapter is pretty boring.
I'm introducing you guys to how the characters' lives are first.
Then we get to the storyline after the introductions.
Kikwang and Hara will have their intros next chapter.
I wanna see some Kisung soon.
I won't lie...
I'm having a hard time writing Junhara since I'm in denial of its existence in real life.
For me... JUNHYUNG IS SINGLE AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HARA. XD
But anyway... this is a fic and I have to do my job.

Thanks for reading!!! ^o^
I love you all. <3