He is the only exception

She's a rebel and He's a god

She’s in the cafeteria, holding her tray with the usual chicken sandwich, now with two cartons of milk. Her eyes searched for him but he’s nowhere to be found.

Her forehead creased. Is he sick or something?

She silently cursed herself from not getting a cellphone. She believed it is unnecessary to have a cellphone. She’s not the type who gets into trouble and stuff so she doesn’t need it for security. Her parents can be assured she’ll get home every night so no need to track her using her mobile phone. She doesn’t have friends that need to chat or talk with via phone.

There are thousand reasons for her not having a cellphone, but now she’s planning on buying after dismissal because of one reason.

Her mind became puzzled by the thought. Many things have changed since she met him. Slightly, all she believes about friends, boys and people in general are changed.

People can be mean but they’re not evil in nature, he always says to her. She will roll her eyes but deep inside, it’s the truth she’s been hiding from herself. Her parents are insanely nice and giving to her, no matter how weird she can be. And him, Seunghyun, no matter how crappy she can be when she has menstrual cramps, he’s always there giving her tips on everything about life. And she doesn’t object. And she doesn’t know why.

She got her music player from her bag. It’s been a long time since she spent lunch with her friendly hiphop playlist. She’s about to put the earphones in her ears (epic fail *face palm*) when her annoying girly seatmate from Statistics approached her.

“Oh, where’s your boyfriend Chaerin?” She teased. Chaerin looked at the girl and wanted to punch her smiling face.

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” She muttered, trying her best to not say insulting things. She knows the girl is talking about him. Seunghyun is not her boyfriend but since they started being seen together, it created a buzz in the whole university.

She loudly laughed that made her eyebrows crease.

“You’re clueless, aren’t you? Oh, I forgot, you are the only college student in the whole wide world who doesn’t own a cellphone!”

That’s it. She angrily stood up and looked at the scheming girl whose name is Gyuri, if Chaerin is not mistaken. 

“Me having no cellie phonnie is none of your business whinnie girlie.” She said straight to her face. The girl’s face hardened but her lips formed a smirk.

“Oh, he doesn’t tell you, did he? He’s transferring schools biatch. It seems like you’re left alone again.”

What the girl said made Chaerin’s eyes widened with shock. She hates to admit but she wants to shake that girl to know more but she will never touch that pest in her whole existence. She ignored that the girl cursed her. She doesn’t care. She turned her back, leaving her tray of food, even her music player in the table. She grabbed her bag and ran.

She doesn’t know where to go but running seems to be the only thing she thinks of doing.

She found herself in the nearby park. A fluid stung her eyes. Probably it is sweat but she’s not sure.

She screamed like there’s no tomorrow.

“Hey.”

She recognizes his voice but she doesn’t turn around.

“You left your best friend in the canteen.” He came near and faced her. He showed her that he took her music player.

She doesn’t speak a word and just looked at him. She doesn’t know but he can see that she wants to ask him a lot of questions but he understand. He understands that she’s the type of person who doesn’t want to reveal herself too much because she doesn’t want to be hurt. But she didn’t say it to him. He just discovered it after months of being friends with her.

He smiled. “You know, you should learn to ask questions.”

“Why?” Her voice croaked.

“What do you mean by why?” He playfully asked.

Her face hardened. “Don’t play with me Seunghyun, I’m not in the mood. Just tell me what is needed to be told.”

“I’m not telling you anything, unless you ask.”

She looked at him; not believing that after months of being friends, it is the first time he pissed her, especially at this time that she’s confused.

He smiled and touched her shoulders. “You are a stubborn girl and I like it.”

She removed his hands and turned her back. She was about to run again when his arms caught her. He hugged her tightly. And Chaerin doesn’t know why she doesn’t protest.

“I repeat, you should ask me what you want to know. Last chance Chaerin.” He muttered under her skin. She is disgusted by the fact a human being aside from her parents is touching her right now but half of her body likes the heat his body gives.

“Is it true?” It is all she can think of. She doesn’t want to say the words “leave” or “transfer” because she knows the words will be caught in .

“Yes.”

Now she realized tears are responsible for bothering her eyes.

“But I’m not leaving you.”

The last sentence made Chaerin fight his strong arms. She knew it. Maybe he’s like other people she knew. Pretentious. Liars.

But she can’t be released from his tight grip even though she ate her breakfast. He’s too strong.

“Let me go!” She shouted, wanting to be released for real now.

He must be a mind reader because slowly, he loosened his arms around her. 

“Sorry Chaerin. I’m just trying to teach you a thing or two.”

“What are you trying to teach me huh! Wait for your epic return or something? I thought you know me Seunghyun-ah! I’m not like any other girl!” She screamed her lungs. She’s never been angry or felt any strong emotion for that matter. Again, he’s always the exception. Besides, she doesn’t spend time minding other people. She admits this: she cares for him and it hurts her to know he’s leaving.


”But you are human Chaerin. Look at those tears. You keep holding yourself back. I want you to let go. To say whatever you want to say. To do whatever you want. To be bad bad and to be good good, not always in between. For once, I want you to be happy happy.”

“You know that’s impossible. I am me, in case you’re born yesterday.”

He sighed, frustrated. “Okay, here’s the thing. I will transfer schools but it’s just an hour away. We can still see each other. I will make sure of that.” He assured her but she made sure she will not cling to his words.

But he cursed. And she doesn’t hear him curse ever.

“I love you Chaerin!” He shouted even though she’s very near and she heard his words clearly, too clear to be true.

She stared at him, half dazed.

He smiled when he saw how her face blushed. He slowly moved his hands to her face. “I don’t know if you will believe this but the first time I saw you, I just knew you’re the one. I know, it’s not a pleasant first encounter, well maybe for you but for me….” He stopped, suddenly felt embarrassed talking about it. “Anyway, I just knew you’re different. Good different. And I like you because you’re so nice and you’re so graceful.” She wants to choke at his words. Graceful is definitely not her. “Graceful in your own way, of course. Elegant in your own way. Cute in your own way. You are a girl, in your own way. And I love you and I want to show you, in my own way.”

She felt fainting. Perhaps she is stuck in a beautiful nightmare and she’s late for class again. Maybe she’s hallucinating. Or maybe she’s dead already.

His face neared hers. And yes, they kissed. Well, it is more of he kissed her because she doesn’t respond at all. She’s too shocked.

He smiled and kissed her forehead. “I will buy you a cellphone later, whether you like it or not.”

She still doesn’t respond but again, he is an exception in everything so the author is sure of the events that will happen next: he will buy her a cellphone, he will meet her parents, he will always call especially during her lunch time, they will see each other once in a while, they will graduate, they will travel together and he will make her feel very loved that she will question whether she loves him more than her chicken sandwich………. and I think you know the answer already.



-THE END-


So... I really want to hide right now. It's too angsty(?) and fluffy right? Aigoo. And yes, fail ending once again. zz-num-02.gif But yeah, thanks for reading (and I really hope you will comment on it! *winku).