Lovers

The Worst Kind of Game

"I- I don't want to play this- this horrible g-game..."

"I know."

"I'd rather d-d-die than have to kill my friends."

"I was hoping for that."

Sooyoung looked up at Choi Minho, shocked. He wasn't going to play was he...? 

"Sooyoung, I'm not going to do this either. I can't. It's twisted and wrong and it goes against everything I am."

She nodded, relieved that  he hadn't meant what she'd thought.  She was in full agreement. She knew that this game existed, but that was in North Korea. It was awful, yes, but it didn't involve them and they could do nothing to stop it. She'd never expected to get dragged into it, so she never thought about what she'd do if she was involved. It was too horrible to think about.

"Sooyoung...  if I win this thing, then that will mean you're gone, and there's no point in living then."

It took her a second to figure out what he was saying. He was a genius. She looked over the edge of the cliff and into the ocean below. Cragged rocks and ice-cold sea water had never looked more inviting in her life. 

"On three, then?" she asked, surprisingly calming down. This was a much better alternative to dying at someone else's hands, and who knew how violently. And at least this way she'd be with the person she loved.  He bent down, kissed her gently on the forehead, and started counting.

"One... Two... Three."

Neither one of them hesitated in jumping over the edge.

 

 In the center of the island, from the safety of the school house, Lee Soo Man laughed. He'd been eavesdropping from Sooyoung's tracker.

"I never expected you to give up so quickly, Minho. I was sure you'd make it to the last round." 

He marked Choi Minho and Choi Sooyoung off the list as Sooyoung's audio broke into static. 38 left. This was more fun than he'd thought it'd be.