1

The Matchmaker
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

This is definitely not one of his proudest moments. A night he is so willing to bury deep in the recesses of his mind. Never had he stooped so low in his 25 years of existence and every step he took was like a blow to his ego. He pulls his jacket closer, tucking his chin underneath the raised collar as he trudges down the pavement that summer night.

 

The buzzing of insects and purring of cats welcome him as he turns to the next alley, leaving the noise of city life behind him. It is dark with only the lights coming from the streets to guide him and another one just ahead. He doesn’t complain for it is better if no one sees him.

 

He picks up his pace ignoring everything around him. He just wants to get this done and over with. After fifteen minutes of walking, he stops and pulls out the piece of paper in his pocket. He checks whether he is in the right place and indeed, he is actually standing right in front of it.

 

Red and white lanterns lit up the entry way of the medium-sized restaurant whose name he didn’t bother reading. Not that he knows how to read Japanese characters anyway. Inside are only a few people, the girl behind the counter, a waiter and few local patrons who lifted their heads to look at him; their eyes boring through him as if they know his secrets. But perhaps it is the music or the scent from the burning incense that made him imagine things.

 

He convinces himself with that idea and heads directly down the hallway past the cashier and the watchful eyes of the customers, and enters the kitchen. No one questions him which makes it a lot easier for him, although he finds it strange. But he isn’t violating any rules for he is only following the instructions on the piece of paper. Do they know how pathetic he is for being there?

 

A few steps away from him is a wooden door and beyond it is the reason for his trip. Avoiding eye contact, he heads straight to it, knocks three times and lets himself inside, closing the door behind him.  

 

What the-

 

The room is small and empty. His uneasiness just ratcheted up another level but he follows the next steps enumerated on the paper, now crumpled.

 

He spots the slot on the wall and contemplates on

Please log in to read the full chapter