Daddy's First Letter

My Daddy

Everything was new to Lauren and Ren. The uncle who was taking care of them always spoke in English. Lauren had no problems but Ren had to learn those new words. It was just one month away before they'll go to their new school. Lauren would spend all day at her room, and Ren wouldn't speak. It was awkward for the new family. The chief introduced himself as George, and his wife, Joanne. But Lauren never called their names and would refer to them as uncle and auntie.

One day, one letter changed everything. It was the only thing Lauren needed. A few words from her daddy.

" Dear Lauren,

How have you been? Has uncle George been good to you? It has only been a few weeks but daddy misses you so badly. Hyomyung here also misses you and Ren. Daddy had been trained to be a cool soldier. Now daddy is called Private Seungho! The training was hard, but Hyomyung visits daddy occassionally, so daddy was cheered up.

Lauren-ah, you were shocked when daddy said daddy will marry Hyomyung, right? I'm sorry. We should have take it slowly. Now that the situation here is bad, we can't get married, it would be silly, in the middle of this war. When this horrible things are over, we'll talk about it again, okay?

Canadian's food is a little different than Korea, daddy hopes you and Ren can adapt well. Auntie's Joanne cooking is realy tasty! How is Ren? Lauren and Ren have to be together always, okay? Don't fight and be safe. Do not talk to strangers. Going home from school must wait for auntie Joanne to pick you guys up. Study well and behave.

Love,

Daddy "

George could not forget the smile appeared on Lauren's face when he said it was fron Seungho. She read it over and over, before finally replied it. She handed it over to George for him to mail it with a bright smile. Every day she would expect a reply. Every morning, her first question was: "Has daddy's letter arrived yet?'

Ever since then, Lauren didn't hesitate anymore toward the new family. Ren never talked much, but he found himself comfortable living among the family. Sometimes George would receive call from Seungho, but he said he didn't want him to pass it to Lauren. George never asked the reason. At least his letters are enough to keep Lauren happy, and probably make George happy too, since it was kind of like the proof that Seungho was still alive. Joanne would always watch the news, hoping not to hear Lauren's daddy name on the victim list.

***

" Dear daddy,

It's okay! your letter is enough to make me happy on my birthday! Yay I'm 12 already! George said I'm going to the dormitory. Joanne didn't agree at first, but teens here should go to dorms, else we'll be called childish, hehe. Years went by so fast! 

Psst, you have nooo idea how handsome Ren has become! He's taller than me now! He didn't talk much as usual though. But I heard him talking to George before, man to man! George was like fatherly figure to him, he gave him tips of becoming a man heehee. Joanne also gave me the tips to become a good woman! You'll be surprised how feminim I have become when you see me! Teehee.

Tomorrow is Teacher Hyomyung's birthday right? Happy birthday in advance! How was the wound on your arm, dad? It left a scar, right? What does it look like? The war was bad, huh? But there haven't been any more attacks these past few years, right? Can I go home now? I want to see daddy...

Love,

Lauren "