Chapter14

The Guy I Left Behind [ discontinued ]

 

 

 

 

  chapter fourteen:  

 

picture perfect

 


 

“What?” was all she can manage to say amidst her stupor, a question struck her mind, asking, ‘did he hear everything… everything which he shouldn’t hear’

“I’m sorry I was late from taking you from him.”

“What?” Krystal asked again. She’s completely clueless of what he’s talking about. She doesn’t even know if their minds run in the same thought.

His lowered his head and said with his dense voice, “Before and now...”

“W-What?!” She stammered amidst her stupor. She incredulously looked at him and her eyebrows furrowed. “Can you tell me what you’re talking about? I need a serious answer from my endless what-s and stop answering senseless words that I don’t understand.”

He leaned in closer and in a split of second, their lips touched. And now he’s kissing me… what the heck is happening? She asked herself. And at some point, she just wanted to close her eyes and sink deep into the sweet sensation. She wants to drown herself from his kisses.

He doesn’t know how much she longed for this.

And no matter how hard she denies, her feelings for him never goes away. He stayed in her heart for so long. All of her hurtful words that she sputtered were a lie. She loved him. She loved him even the very first day they met.

And to her, it hurts that he slipped away like that.

On the day that she walked away was the day that she hoped that he would run after her. And tell her that no matter what happens, he’ll be sticking around with her through thick and thin. That he loves her and even how hard she’ll push him away.

He’ll stay.

Because that’s how much he loves her. But works doesn’t work that way, their story isn’t a fairytale, where the prince will always be saving his princess.

Their lips parted and his eyes slowly opened, “I... I…” Baekhyun wanted to say those three sweet words but he’s afraid that she won’t believe him and instead, he said, “I’m sorry.” I just wanted to kiss you to tell you how much I missed you… He wanted to tell her. But he bit his tongue because he’s afraid.

He’s terrified that if he’ll ever fall for her again, he’ll be losing her forever.

That’s it?” Krystal asked.

Please tell me you love me... Krystal begged him inside her mind. She’s just too weak to tell him that she loves him. Still. And nothing can change that.

“Yeah,” he hissed, keeping his voice low.

She rolled her eyes coolly and said, “Well, then thanks for the ride.” In frustration, she banged the door of his car, the wedge of her sandals clacked against the floor.

It was a simple I love you... can’t he say that? Is it hard enough for him to say that?

He was screaming on the inside. He punched his car’s steering wheel and leaned his head against the chair. Baekhyun, you fool. He told himself. They were too close. Close enough for him to reach her and ask to stay by his side.

She opened her door gently, waiting for him to grab her hand just to hug her or kiss her but there was nothing at all.

“Damn it!” She shouted, she picked up the glass on top of the table and threw is on the floor. “How long do I have to wait for you?” She asked; she was too frustrated.

She started walking past the window and to her surprise, she was barefooted, she forgotten that she removed it upon entering her door. She stepped at one of the broken glass and soon, her left foot was bleeding. She just wiped it away and ignored the pain.

She ran towards the window and peeked. He’s still there! She screamed on the inside, just his mere presence gave her such joy.

She ran towards his car, frantically wearing her slippers and ran towards him, the pain from her foot was definitely taking the best of her, it slowed her down that it added a few seconds for her to continue walking.

On the other hand, Baekhyun was staring below dejectedly. The glittering lights from the street aren’t helping to brighten up his mood. He misses the way her eyes smile when she’s laughing at his simple jokes or whenever he commits error.

He misses her giggles when he tickles her on her sides or on her ears. He misses pinching her chin instead of her cheek. He misses her cutie-effect when he’s mad at her. He miss her every night as he looks at the star, how they brightened up the darkness.

Just like how she brightens, her murky day.

Krystal suddenly knocked at his window; he opened it and asked, “What?”

“Coffee?” Krystal tried to smile, ignoring the pain on her foot.

“What?” He asked again, finally getting back on his senses. She’s here. And now, all he ever wants to do was to stay a little while.

Her eyes smiled. “Coffee with me?”

His heart somehow jumped. How he missed that smile so much. “Yeah, sure.” He smiled back and went out of his car. He picked up his car keys and to his astonishment, Krystal feet was bleeding.

“What happened to you?” Baekhyun asked worriedly, he knelt and checked on her feet. Krystal looked away. She knew that her cheeks flushed red.

“I didn’t know that there were broken glass on the floor and I accidently stepped on them,” she lied. “I was in a hurry to run after you that I stepped on a two – inched broken glass. I really want to spend a little while with you so, I ran even though my foot is bleeding badly,” is the truth.

“Why didn’t you apply first aid on your feet?! This cut seems deep!” He argued he was a bit angry for her clumsiness; he rolled his eyes and picked up the hanky from his pocked and tied on her feet.

Her cheeks was burning that a smile can almost be found on her lips, she bit her tongue then whispered to herself, Oh, Baekhyun, stop it you! She wanted to laugh so hard but she kept it to herself.

“I haven’t even felt it a while ago. I just felt it when I almost got here and I was far from my house so I just ignored the pain.” Lie, Another lie from Krystal. She felt it. “I didn’t because I won’t make it if I did, you might go home so I went running outside ignoring the pain just to chase you,” was what she wanted to say.

“Don’t do it again next time!” He said, irritated.

“Okay. Okay. Chill.” She said playfully and chuckled. He faced back and ordered, “Get on my back.”

Krystal’s eyes grew bigger and asked, “huh?” in confusion, she scratched her head and tilted her head sidewards, “Thanks for worrying but I can walk.”

No, you can’t. Now, get on my back!” He ordered again, he was furious. He doesn’t want her to get hurt. And he hates seeing her hurting.

“I. DON’T. WANT. TO.  I’m walking on my own.” She started walking with one leg which was definitely awkward looking. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and stood up, picking her up from the ground. He carried Krystal, her weight was on his shoulder and her face swung onto his back. Her arms swung unto the ground, same goes for her hair.

Baekhyun smiled in satisfaction and started walking. “Don’t fart, okay?” He said, his playful grin was kept on his face.

“I don’t fart! Well, not in front of people!” She objected. She was somehow irritated. She wanted to struggle for him to put her down but she knows it won’t work and it’s hard walking so she just let him carry her around instead.

“Yes, you do.” He chuckled. “Remember the day you farted in front of me?”

Hey,” She protested, “my tummy wasn’t working well during that time! And I didn’t do that on purpose!” She pouted, “It was an accident!”

Aish… Why does he have to bring that up again? Krystal told herself.

“If you say so!” He laughed and they finally reached her apartment.

He opened the door and entered; the switch of the light was right next to him so he opened it and avoided the scattered glass on the floor.

He carefully placed her on the chair. As he was placing her on her seat their eyes met but then she looked away and so does he.

“Wait, do you have a first aid kit?”

“Yes, I do, it’s in that closet.” She replied, pointing at the closet nearby the window.

He took his tracks and opened the closet, unexpectedly, a frame suddenly dropped but he was able to catch it. He placed it back and got the first aid kit without closing the closet.

He kneeled and applied treatment on her feet but suddenly, the frame caught his attention. It was their graduation picture back at middle school.

Their happy days.

He placed the gauze on her wound and smiled at her, “Now, that should do that trick, just change it every now and then, alright?” He said.

“Yes, doc,” she smiled.

He smiled but his eyes darted into the picture. His smile slowly fades, he stood up and stood up to pick up the picture, he went back on Krystal, kneeling in front of her, to show her the picture.

“Remember this?”
Krystal laughed hard and said, “Who can forget that? You were all messed up on our field trip. You slipped on the canal and you smelled foul enough for everyone to go far away from you.”

“But you didn’t.”

She stopped laughing. Looking at him seriously, she tried to see if he this was some kind of prank he was trying to pull off, but it wasn’t.

So?” She tried to smile but he stopped her by looking at her solemnly.

“You were there to show me how lame I was. All you ever showed me was kindness that was I used to like about you.” He said in his sincerity.

She smiled, “What are you talking about?” Her smile doesn’t work. And it won’t work.

“You forgot, huh?” He smiled and stood up. “Never mind, I just wanted to say thank you that’s all.” He placed the picture back into the closet and closed it. It was a memory that they can’t go back, perhaps.

I didn’t... I’m lying... Krystal wanted to tell him but she was too shy to.

That was the day that she realized how much he loved him. But that is the past now, and it hurts knowing that they didn’t last. So she decided to forget about him. But all her attempt to forget her was of no use.

“Oh! Wait, where’s the coffee?”

“It’s there!” She pointed, yawning. “Just get it there.” Her voice was lowered and lowered until it faded.

He placed hot water at the mug and mixed it with coffee and placed one teaspoon of sugar. He was delighted to stay for a little while with her. He forgot the last time that they were actually together without any hint of anger, jealousy or their games.

“You know, I missed you.” He smiled and his cheeks were red. “That kiss... from a while ago... it kinda woke me up of how I feel for you. Do you think we’d still be together if you didn’t leave me?” Baekhyun asked.

“I know it’s too much to asked but,” He stirred the spoon on the mug and tasted the coffee then added more sugar, “Can we...  have another... chance? YOU. ME. US?”

There was no answer but silence.

 He tried to broke the silence and uttered, “You know if you don’t like my offer you can just – “ He was suddenly interrupted by Krystal’s snore which made him laughing. He scratched his head with a crooked smile plastered on his lips.

“Okay...” He placed the mug at the table and carried her into her room. It was easy finding where her bedroom was. There was only one door left.

There was one table where another picture of them was placed. It was the last picture they taken before their paths had drifted apart.

“You still kept me, huh?” He casted a half-smile and kissed her forehead. He leaned into her ear and whispered, “I love you.”

He closed the door and sipped his coffee, drinking it. He then washed his mug and placed it properly on her glassware. He locked her door and went home.

The next morning, Krystal rubbed her eyes and stretched her arms. A big smile was on her lips saying, “What a nice dream!” She stood up and felt the pain on her feet.

Wait a minute... Krystal shouted.

“THAT WAS REAL?!?”

He wasn’t supposed to see those pictures on my closet and this picture and wait, was that ‘I love you’ real? Or part of my imagination or my dream or something similar to that? Oh meeen... I can’t! I. CAN'T. FALL. FOR. HIM. AGAIN.

I can't!

I can't!

I can't!

Well…

Can I?