One Rainy Evening

One Rainy Evening

 

 

 

 

Chorong was on her third cup of tea when it started raining. She checked her wristwatch and clicked her tongue. He’s late again, she thought dismissively.

 

She took a sip from her cup, staring outside the glass paneled windows of the rather expensive looking restaurant where they decided to meet. To be perfectly honest, Chorong wasn’t used to this kind of fancy dining. People were too formal, and the dress she was wearing for the supposed to be ‘perfect’ evening—that was according to her partner, until he decided to be late—was beginning to feel uncomfortable on her skin.

 

“Are you ready to order, miss?”

 

It was the same waiter again, asking the same question for the third time. Chorong was a bit embarrassed, but she had no choice but to continuously deny the waiter.

 

“I’m still waiting for someone.”

 

The waiter nodded, perfectly displaying a practiced smile. Chorong smiled back, but as soon as he left, Chorong went back on staring outside.

 

The tiny droplets of rain coalesced as they dropped from the heavens. The sun was hiding the whole day today, with nothing but rain and storm clouds raiding the sky. Even the moon was shy, only showing its face a couple of times during this late evening.

 

The steady buzzing of the people inside the restaurant was a bit overwhelming for Chorong. It never seemed to stop. She studied the people around. They were all dressed in fancy, poise at its peak. One particular thing though, Chorong seemed to notice, was how all of them were always smiling. She wonders if all of them meant it, or if all of them were fakes and were just trying to get the attention of the one sitting in front of them.

 

Chorong frowned, and among the sea of faces dining and laughing and smiling, it seemed like she was the only one frowning. It was pitiable.

 

Suddenly, a couple of hands covered her eyes and immediately Chorong knew whom these hands belonged to. The smooth complexion didn’t lie. And of course, only one person ever liked doing these kinds of obvious surprises.

 

Almost immediately, the frown on her face was replaced by the biggest smile.

 

“Suho.” She uttered, in between fits of giggles.

 

The hands ceased, and Suho sat in front of Chorong. “How did you know?” He asked. A part of his coat was wet. Must be from the rain.

 

She smiled. “I always know.”

 

Suho grimaced. “You know my actions too much. Maybe we should live apart for awhile.” Suho replied, a cheeky grin on his lips.

 

Jokes aside, Chorong was upset. And she wasn’t going to let this guy off the hook just like that. Even if he was insanely gorgeous in his suit, and his hair a complete masterpiece. His face was of something Chorong knew very well, but it always manages to captivate her by the beauty it emanated.

 

“You’re late. Again.” She said, with a pout. Suho knew that when she pouts, it was trouble.

 

Suho was clever. “Ahh. Yes. I am indeed late, but I have a surprise.”

 

Chorong adjusted the neckline of her dress. It was really bugging her right now. “Ahh. But will the surprise be enough?” She retorted, with the exact same tone of mischievousness like Suho’s.

 

Suho grinned. “I’m sure you will like it. Love it, in fact.”

 

She wasn’t totally convinced, but Suho did have his ways. “We’ll see.”

 

“We shall, indeed, mi laydeh. But first, dinner. Oh waiter!” Suho called out, with his hands clapping a couple of times to accentuate the action. People looked their way, but Suho didn’t seem to mind. The smile on his face was genuine.

 

Chorong laughed. “Stop being silly, you . We’re in public.”

 

The waiter came, still with his plastic smile. “I see your partner has arrived, miss. Are we ready to order?”

 

“We surely are. Can we see the menu, please?” Said Suho.

 

The waiter handed them a couple of menus, one for Suho and of course one for Chorong. Chorong didn’t want to check the menu. Instead, she looked at the person seating in front of her. She smiled. Suho was just like a little kid; he looked so troubled and his tongue was out as he searched for the perfect meal that would entice the both of them to a delightful dinner.

 

Chorong reached over to him and grabbed one of his hands. He looked up, suddenly entranced by her beauty.

 

“Yes, my love?” Suho said cheesily.

 

She laughed, but controlled it immediately. “Can’t we just do this how we usually do?”

 

For a moment, there was a spark of disappointment inside Suho’s chest. He knew exactly what Chorong meant. Suho sighed but brightened up as soon as he did. He had everything planned already and to put them to waste would be a heartbreaker for him. But this was a special night for his love, and whatever she wished for, she would certainly get.

 

“Very well,” Suho said as he handed the menus back to the waiter. He was still playing the gentleman game. “Waiter, my lady requests that we leave. Perhaps the place is too shabby for our liking.” He remarked as he held out his elbow for Chorong to take.

 

“Shall we?” He smiled. The perfect gentleman, Chorong thought.

 

Chorong was in a fit of giggles again. She felt sorry for the waiter because he looked annoyed.

 

“Let’s.”

 

When they walked out of the restaurant, it was like the skies were angry at them for the rain grew stronger.

 

“Fear not!” Suho exclaimed, as he fetched an umbrella from his side. Chorong didn’t have any idea where he got it.

 

“Same old place?” Suho asked her girl.

 

Chorong looked up at him and nodded enthusiastically. “Same old place.”

 

They walked in the streets of Seoul arm in arm, with only the warmth coming off from each other their only comfort. The rain was pounding on their too tiny umbrella—Suho was still saving up for a car thus the walking— and their clothes were getting wet, but Chorong didn’t seem to mind. She was with her guardian anyway, so what was there to complain about?

 

By the time they arrived at their desired destination—a street food stall in front of their apartment which sold Chorong’s favorite chicken feet—, they were already soaking wet. Suho’s new leather shoes were a wreck and Chorong’s long tresses were sticking to her face. Nevertheless, the two still didn’t complain.

 

“This is how it should be.” Chorong said, fully contented that they left that restaurant. She felt like she wouldn’t like the food anyway. This was much better. “Five orders of chicken feet please!”

 

“I pity all the chickens around the world. All their feet go into one stomach.”

 

Chorong scrunched her nose and punched Suho on his arm. “Yah!”

 

Suho and the vendor laughed. “I’ll have some spicy rice cakes.” Suho said to the vendor, not minding the fuming girl beside him.

 

The rain was unrelenting, still showering them endlessly as they ate their meal. When Chorong was on her last order of chicken feet, she remembered.

 

“So, what’s the surprise?”

 

Suho looked at her, and then smiled. He seemed to be smiling more tonight than his usual self.

 

“D’you know how much time and effort and not to mention money I put on this one night, Chorong-ie? For it to be perfect?”

 

Chorong suddenly felt like not finishing her food anymore. She did feel guilty. She was perfectly aware that she had spoiled all of Suho’s plans for tonight, all his expectations.

 

“You’re mad, aren’t you?” She asked with honesty.

 

“Mad? For heaven’s sake, no. I’m not mad. I even feel silly for doing all of that baloney. It’s just that for tonight, I wanted things to be extra special.”

 

Suho glanced upwards, facing the sky. The rain had finally stopped and the clouds cleared off revealing a perfectly round moon, with millions of stars glittering in the bright picture. The night wind was freezing and gusty, and it was only then that Chorong felt the cold sting. She shivered and Suho noticed.

 

He took off his coat and draped it around her bare shoulders. Although it was also wet, it certainly helped.

 

“I always want things to be perfect for you, Chorong.” Suho said, looking her straight in the eyes. Chorong felt her knees go weak. The look on his face was one of pure tenderness. She touched his cheek and caressed it like how a lover would do to their partner.

 

All of a sudden—when Chorong was about to say something very emotional—Suho popped something in front of her face, in between them.

 

It was a small velvety container, the size of a palm. It had gold lines rushing along its side. Chorong knew exactly what it was but was having a very difficult time trying to process the word. All that came up in her brain were inaudible buzzing sounds that seemed to cause a headache.

 

Suho knelt down on the wet asphalt, and be it if everyone that saw them would think that they were being too silly and corny, he didn’t care. He wouldn’t care. Because this was Chorong. That was the only reason Suho needed.

 

Chorong was on the verge of a mental breakdown right now. She didn’t know if she wanted to cry or jump in total happiness. Even though Suho didn’t pop the question just yet, it was where they were headed anyway.

 

“Rong-ie,” Suho said as he opened the box, revealing a very gorgeous silver ring with a diamond encrusted at the middle. “Will you marry me?”

 

That was it, Chorong thought. She was going to do both. Cry and jump at the same time.

 

“Yes!” She answered, tears streaming down her face. Suho slipped the ring onto her finger and when he stood up, Chorong pounced on him, laughing and crying like a deranged hyena gone totally bonkers.

 

“Do you like it?” Suho asked, unable to hide his large grin.

 

She laced her arms around his neck and said, “Are you kidding? I love it.”

 

Then they shared a kiss. It was long and soft, and one that they were going to remember for the rest of their lives.