Chapter 5

Of those who commune with Earth

 

Rain was coming. He could feel it in his joints, deep in the marrow of his bones, as he hobbled down the crooked narrow path. His cane providing support for his weakened hip and left leg. A leather messenger bag was slung over his right shoulder, filled with fruits and plants he had plucked. As the path sloped downwards he dug his cane into the hard ground as best he could and turned sideways. This is why I hate foraging far away. He scoffed at the thought. What was far for him now, was not the same as it had been before his injury…before that dark time. Then he could travel further on his own feet and faster. He shook his head as he sighed heavily. Those days were gone though, and he had to make due with what he had left. Twenty nine years old, and he moved closer to a seventy year old, but he could still move, and that was something. Sometimes, it was everything.

He made his way back to the ruins of his home. Long ago the lake hadn’t existed where it took root now. The waters had been held back by a dam, but that dam was destroyed in the Great War. Now all that remained was a single large guard tower and several smaller towers and tops of buildings that broke the surface. He resided within that tower, as did the only other living occupant, making its nest at the top of the tower above him. Thick clouds were rolling in as he arrived back at the tower, thunder echoing off the mountains that enclosed his home. He sighed as he arrived back at his shelter, his makeshift home. The chill of the lake was making his joints ache worse; still he had no time to rest as he took off his bag and got to preparing a fire.  

As the stones around him gave a shake, he didn’t give it more than a passing thought. Odd. She doesn’t usually leave her perch so close to dusk. Not if she’s already in her nest. He jerked, eyes wide as he heard a loud screech, finding himself looking through another’s eye. Grasping his cane he moved as fast as he could to the old stairs, unable to believe what he had been shown. Taking them as quick as he could, he moved up the back of the tower until he reached a small standing pillar. Slowly, carefully he looked around the pillar. His skin grew white; there, upon the horizon were a team of horses and their riders.

 He stumbled back, cursing as he fell, cane skittering down several steps as he shot a hand out to grasp at one of the old remaining metal railings. His heart hammered madly in his chest as he worked his way down the steps once more. He had to put out the fire! It was the only thing on his mind; the riders would be here faster than he could move, but if he could put out the fire, perhaps they’d pass by, or else find somewhere else to rest. He doubted it though. The guard tower supplied the best shelter from the weather. He fell to his knees on a small garden platform, he had a pail attached to a pulley system. As quickly as he could, he unwound the rope and dropped the pail into the waters far below, yanking it back up as fast as he could once he felt it had enough water. It was a bit harder to pull it up as fast as he dropped it, but he managed. With trembling hands he clasped the pail, unhooking it from the pulley as he stumbled towards his fire, throwing it over the flames. With a loud hiss and a plume of dark smoke, the fire was out.

It was laughable, how afraid he was, how the fear gripped his throat in a vice. He fought to rise back to his feet, joints protesting as pain shot up his spine. He couldn’t rest now, he had no time, he had to hide. As another shrill cry pierced the blackening skies, again he found himself seeing through the colossi’s eyes.

Ten men on horseback, donned in light armor, swords at their sides, less than five hundred meters away as they came through the narrow pass that led to the shore of the lake.

The swords! Look back at their armor! He ordered

Again he found his gaze directed through the colossi’s eyes and falling upon the soldiers. Their horses reared, muffled screams of terror from the beasts as his colossi flew by, circling back to give him another view of what the soldiers wore.

There! They have bows!

In a second he found himself staring back at the charred remains of the wood. Bows, arrows, swords: soldiers. These weren’t travelers, but why? Why had soldier’s returned to the land? He could hear distant cries and yells now as he moved off to find a place to hide. He dare not go back up the path he took earlier today and leave himself trapped in the open. He had to make do with what was around; he’d lived here his whole life. He would hide himself and bide his time. Even if they found proof of his existence, if they couldn’t find him, then they had nothing, but their own suspicions. Suspicion with no proof was the basis for groundless rumors. Whatever the purpose for returning after all these years, he wanted no part in their resurgence. Above him lightning flashed over the sky as a loud clap of thunder roared, echoing off the surrounding mountains as the clouds let loose their burden.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Don’t fire!” Kangin barked as he caught sight of one of the younger soldiers knocking his arrow. The large stone-like bird had done nothing to them, merely flying by a few times. The horses pawed the ground, pulling back at the reins, scared at the new imposing beast. Still, Kangin had always been one to follow his gut, and as the bird-like colossi flew off and perched upon the ruins of a small tower, Kangin pressed forward. “Keep calm. Keep calm and move forward.” Kangin ordered.

“Sir that thing is alive—“

“Of course it’s alive you idiot, we’ve just seen it fly around. Stupid .” He spat as he spotted a platform against the surface of the water leading to the largest of the towers. They could find shelter there from the downpour. “We’ll cross there and take shelter under the tower. If anyone has a problem with it, feel free to find somewhere else.” He snarled as he dug his heels into his horses side, spurring it into a run, bringing his gaze up to meet the two glowing blue orbs of the colossi that watched them. No sooner had he gone halfway over the platform than the massive stone bird spread its wings and took flight once more. Swooping low. Behind him a man screamed, letting an arrow fly. “you damned fool!” he roared as the bird gave a loud piercing cry. He watched as the bird circled back, eyes widening as he saw the talons outstretch. “Run!” he yelled as he spurred his horse into a gallop. He’d gone too far to retreat, and the platform was too narrow, he had no room to turn around and flee. His only chance lay in reaching the guard tower. Now.
 

Behind him he heard the screams of his men and the shrill cries of the horses, jerking at the reins, he turned his horse around as he reached the guard tower’s entrance with only two other men. He watched as in one fell swoop the birds stone wings slammed against several of his men and riders. In each talon it held a horse and rider. With a few beats of its massive wings it was once more high in the sky where it released those it held in its talons. Kangin cringed as he listened to their shrill screams before they slammed upon the water. The colossi swept over the carnage once more before it resumed its peaceful flight.

“My god.” The man beside him whispered, eyes wide in horror as he took in the mass of blood and corpses left in the colossi’s wake. “May god have mercy on our souls.”

“This is the end for us.” The second man bemoaned.

“Shut up! This is not over, quit your ing.” He snarled as he dismounted, peering up at the sky from the edge of the tunnel. He watched as the colossi turned towards their location. He lost sight of the beast as a loud rumble above them shook the structure.

“It’s above us!”

“Shut up! Calm down.”

“Calm? Kangin you have led us to our deaths! The defectors are as good as dead, we never should have come this far, and now we have that beast perching above us, just waiting to pick us off.” The man snarled.

“I was not the one to anger the beast out there! That cowardly fool deserved what he got, he brought death upon himself and everyone else with his actions! You want to leave? Be my guest, the exit’s right there.” Kangin snapped as he jerked his horses reins, leading his steed further into the tunnel. He paused as something crunched under his foot. “Wood?” he muttered softly as he bent down to survey his findings. He picked up a single piece, paying the two soldiers behind him little attention as he pulled off one of his leather gloves to hold the wood. It was wet. He scanned the walls and floor, dropping the wood as he felt around the stone. It was completely dry. Something was amiss. “Tell me…who was it that was said to control these beasts?” he asked, breaking into the soldiers quiet conversation.

“What?” the soldier snapped.

Kangin grinned ferally, “I asked a question. If you’ve got a problem with me, feel free to come at me. No matter what though, betraying me won’t get you off this land any faster. Now answer me: who were the ones said to control these beasts.” He growled.

“They were called guardians. But they were exterminated close to a hundred years ago.”

“Really.” He drawled as his gaze fell upon a full bag lying against the wall.

“Yes really, they’re dead. Now what has this to do with our immediate problem?” the soldier demanded as he watched their captain bend down and pick something off the ground.

“I think you may have missed one.” He sneered as he threw the bag full of fresh fruit at their feet letting it topple out. “Unless ghosts collect food, build fireplaces, and lay out bedding…I’d say there’s something or someone else here.” He chuckled darkly.

At this the remaining men paled, edging away slowly. “That’s impossible…”

“Spread out. Search the area. Night’s falling and if that monster is anything like the animal it resembles, it won’t leave its perch for the night. If one of them did survive, then I think we’ve found our way out of this mess.”

“Sir…that’s, that’s…the possibility is…they aren’t good odds.”

Kangin shrugged. “Be it a common thief, or nomad, it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t have to be a guardian; it just has to be bait. Now go.” He ordered sharply, voice hard and cold. Whoever this person was, they weren’t going to be far. Not if this was where they made their home. He’d stake his life on that.

                He grunted as he hoisted himself up onto a small stone surface. It hadn’t been easy for him to get on, his leg protesting as he had to climb. Several of the steps were missing, a part of the tower wall missing on the other side, exposing this area to the elements as the rain blew into the stairwell ruins and onto himself. The stones along the staircase had fallen away in an attack during the Great Massacre. However, from the attack a gouge had formed in the opposite wall, providing another way for him to finish climbing up the stairs. He hadn’t been up this way in a long time; it led to Avion’s perch. Anymore though he had Avion pick him up. Almost literally. He panted, exhausted as he dragged himself onto his knees, the ground was uneven beneath his feet, but he had to press on. Avion wouldn’t abandon her perch tonight, but she’d keep him safe. Was it wrong to want to be protected? To be safe? Sweat trickled down his face as he wiped his forehead with the torn sleeve of his shirt. He didn’t mind being wet or cold, he’d survived worse than that. Although he’d thought of hiding, no where seemed good-safe-enough. It was fear that consumed him and drove him on, but it was also fear that made him convinced his only safety lay with Avion.

                His breath hitched as he heard a clatter behind him, he glanced behind, eyes widening and his pupils dilating as he saw the light of a flame chasing away the shadows along the wall. His hands scrabbled at the jagged walls. “C’mon, c’mon.” he growled to himself as he forced himself to his feet. His cane lay further in, but a quick glance back and he knew he didn’t have the time. He had to get away. He’d find a way to manage without it.

                Kangin had his sword drawn, a makeshift torch in the other. The soldiers were scanning other parts of the tower, one had taken a lower level, the other further investigating where they were making their camp for the night. There had been a few spots on the spiraling staircase where pieces had fallen away to show the world beneath and the drop that awaited him if he weren’t careful. It was amazing just what had managed to remain standing from the Great War. He’d heard stories about it as a child certainly, but never, never had he envisioned himself being on the land and seeing the ruins. He tensed, jerking, eyes sharp as he heard a clatter echoing off the walls around him. His hand tightened over the swords handle as he crept forward. The time to admire wasn’t now. Now, he had an objective to complete. He frowned as he came to a sudden drop off, spotting a few stones as they came loose and fell into the night, as black as a raven’s wing, and whatever was below. “Damn it.” He cursed, sheathing his sword. There was a way to get around these missing steps, but it would mean relinquishing his torch. No, he wouldn’t give it up, hoisting the torch up onto the gouged ledge; he let it lay on the ground before he hoisted himself up. As he bent down to pick his torch back up, his gaze fell upon a smooth, thick, polished stick. His eyes narrowed as he picked it up and pulled it close, scrutinizing it. There was a knobbly end upon it, where one might hold, and it hit him. A cane. He thought before he gave a light scoff. Oh well. Without much thought he tossed it over the edge before he continued on. If someone did live here, and that had belonged to them, then he wasn’t worried.

                He leapt off the uneven surface as he aligned himself with another surviving step. He jerked as he heard a cry from above and grinned, eyes cold and hard as he hastened up the steps. He was getting close now.

                He yelped as his knee slammed against the cold stone. He’d been using the wall as a support, but his weakened left leg had given out on him. He hadn’t given it any thought as he released the sharp cry, stifling it as quickly as he could, but as he heard footfalls echoing behind him over the drone of the pounding rain, he knew it to be too little too late.

                “Stop!” a voice roared behind him as the light of the torched touched upon his back. He shot his gaze behind him to see a soldier fast approaching. Desperately he turned his gaze upwards, he wasn’t far from Avion at all! Seven steps, he could make it! He had to try! The rain from the open roof beat against him. “Stop!” the man roared, propelling him into action.

                He managed to get up three more steps before he felt a hand latch around his wrist and pull him back before wrenching his arm behind his back and forcing it upwards. He cried out as his pain seared up his arm. “The next time I give an order, you’d better listen.” The soldier snarled, leaning close to hiss the words into his ear.

                “L-let me go.” He stammered shifting in the soldiers grasp, whimpering as the pressure on his bent arm increased.

                “No chance.” The man snarled, pulling him back. With each step back the fear and sorrow growing inside him grew worse. Heightened as, once they had re-entered the main floor, he had been forced to his knees, wrists bound behind his back before he was shoved forward, a boot shoved against his shoulder blades, falling to his stomach before the other soldiers.

                Hell, it seemed, had come back to the land.

                “What’s your name?” Kangin demanded as he circled tightly around the captive as he pushed himself onto his knees once more. The man was thin, skin pale, with dark brown eyes and blonde hair held up in a ponytail, the ends of his hair brushing against the nape of his neck.

                “L-Leeteuk.” The man stammered.

                “So how did you come to these lands?”

                “I’ve always been here. Please, please let me go. I am no threat to you.”

                “Always been here?” another solider interjected, voice sharp. “You’re a guardian aren’t you?”

Leeteuk lowered his head before he shook. “Answer the question.” Kangin barked sharply, not missing the way the other man flinched.

                “That…that’s a name for what I am, yes.” He said at length, his voice soft.

                Kangin nodded, tensing as he heard a sword being unsheathed, his own hand flying to the handle of his own sheathed sword moving beside their captive. “Put your sword away!” he snarled as he drew his own.

                “You heard him! He’s a guardian!”

                “And we need him! Or have you forgotten what that cowardly soldier did already? That colossi was pissed off. We need him. Put your sword away.”

                “He’s a cursed one! He needs to be slain!”

                “And then what? You want to risk that colossi’s attack again? You know the stories right?”

                “How do we know they’re even true eh? Could just be stories.”

Kangin rounded back on Leeteuk. “Can you control that colossi? Is that part of the story true, can you control it?” he asked sharply.

Leeteuk hesitated, tongue darting out to his lips. “To an extent.” He relied.

Kangin scowled, bending down to fist a hand in Leeteuks hair as he yanked his head back. “I,” he spat, “Am not in the mood for games, so you’d be wise not to test my patience. Explain yourself.” He seethed, giving a sharp yank, watching as Leeteuk winced.

“She-the colossi can do things independently. She doesn’t require my every word to direct her. Sh-she can choose to do something else if she doesn’t like wh-what I ask of her or if s-she isn’t in the mood to listen.”

“But will she harm you?”

“No, never. B-but she wouldn’t strike you if you left her in peace.”

“Little late for that.” Kangin huffed gruffly as he released Leeteuk’s hair. “Alright.” He sighed as he straightened up, turning his gaze to his remaining men. “At daybreak tomorrow we leave and he comes with us.”

“You must be joking!”

“You heard him, the colossi won’t attack him. If he’s with us…I doubt she’d be fool enough to risk an attack. Or would you rather take your chances? “ he asked. He sniffed when neither said anything “didn’t think so.” He purred, gaze turning back to Leeteuk. “He’s crippled, but I don’t want to risk it. Bind his feet.” Kangin ordered, watching as his orders were carried out, their captive being dragged to the furthest end of the room. Throughout they took shifts keeping watch, and as dawn broke, turning the ink black sky a grey hue, they packed up, taking Leeteuk’s bag full of fruit and plants along with them before unbinding his feet. “You two take the horses. I’ve got him.” Kangin growled as he dragged Leeteuk to his feet, pulling out a dagger from his belt as they neared the exit and put it to Leeteuk’s throat.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Leeteuks eyes widened as his back was slammed against the man’s chest and a dagger placed against his neck. He gave a stifled whimper as he tilted his head further back, trying to escape the sharp edge of the blade as he was pulled back and into the dawning light. High above them Avion gave a screech, her wings fanning out. He watched as she launched herself off the top of the guard tower, circling over them as they stepped onto solid ground. “She wont attack you.” Leeteuk grit out between his teeth, neck craning backwards as the tip of the dagger scratched against his throat.

“We’ll see about that won’t we?” the soldier whispered as he pulled Leeteuk along. A horse was brought up beside them and Leeteuk found himself pushed up and slung over the horses back with the soldier mounting swiftly after him, one hand holding the reins, the other pressing down upon his back. “Move out!” he ordered as he kicked his heels into the horses side, spurring it into a run.

Leeteuk felt her confusion, her uncertainty as she flew above them, growing more anxious the further they went from the land. Stay where you are. I’ll send for you later. Follow at a distance, but stay…for now stay where you are. Tears stung his eyes as he saw her turn back, going back to the lonesome ruins nestled between the cliffs.

They rode hard for a few hours before they stopped beside a small brook to give their horses a rest. Leeteuk was dragged down from the soldiers horse, instead pulled over to a nearby tree. A rope was slung over a low branch and wound around Leeteuks wrists before he was pulled upwards, forced to stand on his tip toes before the extra rope was tied around the tree to hold him in place. God it hurt! The pain in his hip intensified as he was forced to keep weight on his lame leg. “D-don’t.” he called out to the retreating soldier.

The man paused, turning back to Leeteuk, a smirk on his lips. “You’ll be fine for a while. I have things to do, but since I’m such a nice guy I’ll be sure to come back once the horses and my men have had time enough to eat.”

Leeteuk paled, “Wait, wait! Please, please just let me sit. M-my leg.”

The soldier gave him a once over, smirk never leaving his lips. “Alright, how about you answer a few questions and I’ll let you down.”

Leeteuk nodded in assent. “Yes, but please—“

The soldier shook his head, “Mine first: Are there any other colossi like yours left?” he asked.

“Yes, yes there are!”

“How many?”

“I don’t know, I swear I don’t.”

“But you know where some are?”

“Only a few the rest only in stories.”

“Are there any other guardians? Survivors?”

“I don’t know! Now please! I answered your questions!”

“Mercy?” the soldier gave a bark of laughter. “I haven’t hurt you at all and what I’m asking of you, is nothing more than to stand, you’ll live.” He sneered as Leeteuk paled. “Don’t look at me like that, I said I’d let you down and I will…I just never said when.” And with that he stalked off back to his men.

Time ticked by slowly, narrowed down to each excruciating moment he was kept standing. He tried to shift his weight to his right foot, but he had so little footing. Tears pricked his eyes, skin hot and rubbed raw by the rope, his joints ached. His whole world became centered on the pain of his old injuries. So when the soldier returned Leeteuk found himself relieved.

Not too kindly the rope tied to the tree trunk was released and he fell onto the hard ground, giving a grunt as he fell on his side. “You won’t last long at all if you’re already this desperate.” The solider quipped as he bent down in front of Leeteuk and held out a flask to Leeteuk’s bound hands, aiding him in drinking before pulling it away. “I’ll let you in on what’s going to happen: My men and I have reached an…agreement if you will. So here’s what I’m offering you; you take us through these lands, to the borders of the East lands and once we’re there, we’ll let you go.”

“Why should I help you?” Leeteuk snapped. The soldier smirked.

“You don’t have much of a choice, and to be frank, we need a guide.”

“Well you’re out of luck. I haven’t been off my own land in years.”

“But you live here.” The soldier countered easily. “So I’m sure you’re acquainted with the land, or at least have a general idea of the land and what’s out there. You may have lived here most of your life, but what of your parents? Grandparents? If I produce a map, could you navigate the quickest path to the East land borders?”

“If you have a map, why you need me?’ he asked skeptically.

“Because, by your own admission you  know about other existing colossi and I want the best route with the fewest colossi that may be around”.

“Why should I trust you? You’ve abducted me, tied me up and your ‘friends’ want me dead.” He spat.

“Lucky for you, they don’t call the shots. You take us to the East land borders and you’re free to go. Do we have a deal? I’m not paid to exterminate Guardians, just defectors, but if you want to be stubborn wel…” he trailed off as he pulled his sword from his sheath, “I don’t have any problems convincing you.”

Leeteuk’s breath hitched sharply, eyes following the blade, the metal gleaming under the sunlight as the it was set against his neck, not cutting skin, but the threat was there. “Fine, fine you have a deal. I take you to the border and you let me go. But so help me if you try to fire a single arrow at my ba---“

Kangin laughed, sheathing his sword once more. “Relax, I’m a man of my word.”

“I’ll believe it when the time comes.” Leeteuk growled. Kangin smiled smugly as he retied the rope around the tree trunk before heading back to his men.

“What did you  talk about?” one of the soldiers asked as Kangin began repacking.

“We struck a deal.”

“A deal? With a guardian?” the other soldier scoffed.

“I don’t give a about them-what I’m interested in, Is getting the job done. He knows where we need to go. He’ll get us there, he’s our best tool and I’m not going to let it slip away because you two are afraid.” He snapped.

“And in return?” the first soldier snarled.

“We let him go.” Kangin shrugged.

“Are you serious?!”

“Keep your voice down!” he snapped sharply. “I said we’d let him go-I never specified where, he’s crippled, he won’t last long in the elements. If you’re really that worried then shove him off a cliff.” He suggested with a scowl. He watched as the soldiers lips curled into cruel smirks, content with the suggestion. The king had assigned him fools! “Let him get us through the land first.” He stressed. “Then do as you will with him, but not until we reach the border!” he stressed.

“One way trip for the vermin.” The second soldier chuckled.

Kangin glared. One way trip indeed, but he’d be damned if these two fools cost him such a valuable tool. His gaze flickered towards the bound guardian.’ It’s going to be a one way trip for someone certainly’ he mused as his gaze locked with the guardians. One way trip indeed.