01

Sour As Vinegar [hiatus]

 

Everything is ready.

This is great. The kimbap I made just now are arranged neatly inside the lunch box. Kimbap is one of his favorite dishes. Yesterday he dared me to make one. This is my first time making it and it taste good. I’m glad I can actually pull this out nicely. I shove one into my mouth. Maybe I am a good cook after all and who says that I can’t cook.

I put the lunch box on top of the books that I carry in my hand. I peek at the mirror again, to check on my appearance.

I can’t wait to give this to him. It’s almost time for the bell to ring. I jog to the school front gate. I can see him leaning over it.

“Sorry I’m late.” I said.

“No problem.” He smiles and enters the school.

His name is Kai. Well his actual name is Kim Jong In but everyone called him Kai. He is my friend. Not really a best friend, just a friend (I guess). Every day, he’ll wait for me at the entrance so that we can walk together to class.

How I met him? We actually are in the same class from last two years. He sit next to me. In the early days, he didn’t even want to look at me. Until now, I’m not really sure how exactly we get to know and getting closer with each other.

Let me tell you a secret. I have fallen for him for almost a year now. He doesn’t know about it. I tried my best not to tell him – for now. Nevertheless, I still show a little hint to him about my feeling. For instance, this, I made lunch for him.  

I pass him the lunch box. “Here.”

“What is this?”

I grin as he receives the lunch box. “You dare me to make kimbap right? See I actually did it.” And that’s how I hide-not showing that I was the one who want to make it for him. With a little twist here and there of the words and it seems like I have to prepare the lunch and not that I want to. Though that is what exactly I intend to do.

He opens the lid of the lunch box and sniffs the food. “It smells good.” He smirks. “Just hope that I won’t have a stomach ache after eating this later.”

I slap his arm and he let out a chuckle. “If you don’t want it, give it back.” I reach out to the box.

“Get off.” He smacks my hand lightly. “You can’t take back what you have given.” Kai keeps the lunch box inside his bag pack.

My whole body feels so light like I’m flying right now. I worship this moment. I really like him even so, I don’t know how to tell him in his face. I don’t have that kind of courage. Besides, Kai already has a girlfriend. They’ve been together for 3 months now. If he’s happy, I’m happy. Despite the fact that inside, my heart is being torn and rips into pieces slowly. 

I place my sling bag on the floor and I tilt it to my desk. The teacher doesn’t come in yet. Students are not on their place. But not Kai, he’s not a fan of talk. He speaks simply when he wants. At first I can’t believe that he actually get a girlfriend because of his character. After some time, I notice that he talks only with people who approach him. I’m special though. Kai’s the one who started talking to me.

“The teacher’s here.” One of my classmates says as he enters the class and back to his seat.

“Good morning class.” Mr Choi greets. “Turn to page 164 of your text book.”

It is Korean History class. Gosh, it’s so boring. Every minute pass feel like an hour. I play with my pencil. Then, I sense the table vibrates. I turn to Kai. He takes his cell phone under the table. He got a text message. Kai’s calm expression changes to a frown. He knits his brows as he read the text message.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered to him.

He hands over his phone to me. I read the text he got. Oh no. His girlfriend is breaking up with him. She’s seeing someone else. How dare of her to do that? No one dump my precious Kai.

Suddenly, he stands on his feet and storms out of the class. Everyone is eyeing on him with a weird face. The teacher who is teaching at that moment jolts and his eyes are widens. They change their sight to me. “What happened?” A friend of mine asks from others behalf. I shrug. There’s no need to inform about it to public.

Once the class ends, I go out and look for him. I search the whole school for him. I even go and meet the person who send Kai the text message before and ask her if she sees him. He was nowhere inside the school. Only one place left. The rooftop. He told me he likes to go up there if he wants to be alone.

I push the door to the rooftop open. I peer around and then a silhouette of a tall boy catches my attention. Kai is leaning towards the rooftop railing. The rough afternoon wind brushes his hair. I amble closer to him. He doesn’t jolt or startles on my arrival. As if he’s already expect me to be here.

“Are you okay?” I asked him.

He remains silent. I shouldn’t ask that question. Obviously, it’s being hard for him. Kai truly likes his girlfriend. And because of that reason too, I fell so much pain inside of me.  

“I’m not giving up.” He mumbles.

“Huh?”

“I am not giving up.” Kai repeats his sentence. “She hasn’t seen the last of me.”

“You’re gonna try and get her back?”  

“I'll do anything for her.” He says confidently and holds both of my hand. “You’re going to help me right?” He stares into my eyes with full of hope. How can I say no to that?

I smile half-heartedly. “Of…. Of course.” It is really hard forcing that out from my mouth. I’m rebelling with my real feeling inside. You have no idea how heartbreaking it is when those words came out from his mouth. No matter what, that’s how I am. I'll be by his side despite the fact that I feel so much grief in my heart.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yay! Chapter one is finaly here. Took me long enough to write one chapter huh? I'm really sorry. I will update the next chapter as soon as possible. Thank you for all the subscribers. You guys made my day :D And if you guys have some suggestion on what scene or event you want, you can tell me. At least I'll have some idea on what to write... hehe~ Thank you so much