Chapter 5

Wae, B1A4!

 

5.

Every idols’ worst nightmare and greatest challenge was not singing and dancing simultaneously – though choreographers would say otherwise. It was not the fatigue of staying up for early morning practices; and by that it meant 1-2AM schedules.

It was.

Going.

Undercover.

 

“We’re not going to be one of those idol groups who make a fuss wherever they go,” Jinyoung declared the night their van got mobbed by fans after they came out for a snack at a stupid hour of after-the-school-bell-rang. The screaming fangirls still made CNU nervous to sit at the sides of the van anymore.

“But–” Sandeul interrupted, thinking of the free kimchi they keep getting fed as soon as the shopkeepers saw their faces and cameramen tagging along behind them.

“No?” Gongchan inquired, secretly liking the fact he could do aegyo anywhere now and not be labelled as a creepy e. “I thought we promote B1A4 on the streets hyung.”

“Not when he eats like that in public,” Baro answered, handing Sandeul a napkin. Sandeul spat out the bones from the fish stick he was eating.

Jinyoung clapped his hands and CNU came out of the bedroom into the living room where they were lounging. “Me and CNU-hyung snuck into the wardrobe department where they keep clothes for our stages or MVs,” he explained, smiling triumphantly at the memory. CNU had to sing some falsetto to keep the low-rank assistant make-up artist distracted while he dumped some things into the bag. “It was a bit dark, so I couldn’t see anything, but whatever in the room couldn’t be that bad, right?”

“Wasn’t it that time when you had an eye-patch?” Baro voiced out doubtfully, succeeding in shoving Sandeul out of the way to peer into the box first. Sandeul retaliated by nudging him hard in the ribs.

“So?”

“A half-blind guy in a dark room.” Baro held out his hands. “He took dresses, right?”

HEY!”

“Worse.” Gongchan took out a pink, frilly dress. He held it against his own body, the lace hemline cutting off at mid-thigh. “y dresses.”

“Channie, you’re underage!” gasped CNU. “You can’t say the word ‘’ yet!”

“Sorry. But you could have at least felt the fabric of the clothes,” Gongchan pointed out practically. He fell into the gigantic box and swam up to the surface with a cowboy hat on his head.

“Oh yes, very inconspicuous,” Sandeul said dryly, taking the cowboy hat and putting it on himself.

“That’s it, I’m going to call Ryeowook-sunbaenim,” Baro declared, sitting as far away from his team members as possible. B1A4 had guest-starred in KTR a week ago. “They said they would advise us in tricky situations, since we’re newbies.”

“HA! Sungmin-sunbaenim is right, you do have a thing for him!” crowed Sandeul, pointing his finger at Baro.

“I know we were banned from asking at KTR,” CNU said in interest, folding his hands on the lid of the box. “But are you and Sungmin-sunbaenim related, Deullie?”

No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Give it up, hyung,” Gongchan advised, his voice muffled as he dug under the clothes. At random moments, he would put his hand in the air to ask about a piece of clothing. CNU snatched the racy shirt away.

“Gongchan-ah, if you don’t know where to wear it - don’t even touch it,” he said worriedly to the innocent maknae.

“Super Junior cross-dresses more than anyone else,” Gongchan continued, throwing a pink hairband with spikes to Baro. “They won’t help you at all.”

“And this is why the maknae is smarter than most!” Jinyoung clapped happily. “You see, we’re not going out as boys. We’ll dress as girls. Isn’t that why we picked the song ‘Sleep Well, Goodnight’ as one of our future album songs? To practice our falsetto?”

 

“On the other hand,” Jinyoung relented, after being thrown at a pillow; exclamations of horror; a banana suit; and a 2PM poster, “we could just wear sunglasses, a coat and face masks.”

“Sunglasses, coat and face masks,” chorused four voices together.

Jinyoung looked at their retreating backs lovingly. Gongchan seemed to gravitate back to the box of girl clothings, but Baro had a firm grasp on his arm.

“I got them to wear the thick coats!” Jinyoung laughed into the phone, when everyone went back to their bedrooms.

“How did you convince them to do that, in this summer heat!” exclaimed their manager, albeit happily. He listened to the other end. One second. Two seconds. Half a minute. “Okay Jinyoung, you can just tell me, stop that evil laughter.”


 

A/N: Appealing for story ideas (: Comment!