Chapter 1

Dark Knight

Life is unfair…but this is ing ridiculous. That was the only thought in Im Yoona’s mind as she slumped onto the stool in the bar, blinking back hot, heartbroken tears. She’d had her share of bad days, but today won the prize. Yoona took a deep breath, trying to clear her mind and analyze what the hell just happened- and how she was going to deal with the fact that her life had completely turned for the worse.

 

No sooner had she taken a deep breath, all the memories of a few minutes ago came flooding back into her brain, imprinting themselves into her brain and leaving images that Yoona could not get rid of no matter how hard she tried. She hiccupped, nearly choking as she tried to hold back the tears but instead ended up making a mess of her face as she started to cry once again, tears flowing freely from her dark eyes.

 

Never had she ever felt so hopeless, so broken…so alone. A kaleidoscope of emotions was swirling around in her heart. And there was only one living person on earth who was capable of making her feel so many confusing emotions at the same time. The only one who could make her smile and her heart flutter and could just as easily make her heart shatter to pieces in an instant. Lee Donghae. They had always been good friends, but Yoona had always prayed and hoped something more could grow between them. Lately, she had thought there was a chance.

 

Her biggest mistake, she realized, was telling Sunye about her crush. She had sort of been friends with Sunye and knew that she was quite helpful in giving love advice. I should have known, Yoona lamented to herself. There had been enough clues to tip her off- the way Sunye’s eyes glinted just a little too brightly whenever Donghae was mentioned in conversation, how sometimes she threw questioningly lustful looks at him when he was nearby. Yoona felt that she should have realized sooner how little a chance she stood against Sunye. Sunye was really pretty and popular and over half the male population in school would have given up an arm to go on a date with her. It was only a matter of time before Donghae would set his eyes on her.

 

Well…at least they mesh well together… Yoona tried to reason with herself, trying in such vain to make herself feel a bit better. Sunye in all her beauty and wit naturally would go well with Donghae and his charm and soft but shining brown eyes and his cocky grins and the way he laughed when he teased you and how when he smiled, the whole world tilted a bit and you ended up soaring straight to the heavens and… the more Yoona thought about it, the more awful she felt as she began to think to herself: …No. Why does he have to belong to someone else? Someone who doesn’t see or know his worth as much as I do…how selfish of me to think like this. But…how can I help not to be selfish…I…I…I like him too much.

 

Now, she was openly sobbing, her heart pouring out her emotions and so heartbroken and grief-stricken she was that at first, Yoona didn’t notice a staggering figure approaching her. When she did, she saw, through a blurry haze of tears in her eyes, a familiar person sitting in the stool next to her.

 

“Hey…you’re looking pretty down, Im Yoona,” the person said, a slight slur in his voice. Yoona dried her eyes and recognized the person as Taecyeon, a fellow classmate from school. She had talked to him a few times but never really tried to get to know him since he was notorious for his questionable actions like vandalism and skipping school and, apparently, drinking. Yoona had always sensed that he had a crush on her and now that he was slowly leaning towards her, drunk, she felt just a bit nervous.

 

“Want me to cheer you up?” he asked, leering at her and frequently looking down at her rather revealing school uniform. Yoona, trying to inch away, attempted a weak smile and said, “Ah, no thanks, Taecyeon. I should get going now…” Just as she got up and was about to walk out of the bar, he grabbed her arm and cooed, “…You feel cold, darling…” his hot, wine-tinged breath hitting the back of her neck. “How come you were wandering around without a jacket on while it’s raining?” Yoona was now really starting to regret sprinting headlong outside without any other thoughts in her head regarding the weather or where she had been heading to- she had simply dashed into the night looking for the nearest place to escape to, not realizing she had came into a bar until much later.

 

“…Want me to warm you up?” he rasped in her ear, and Yoona could practically sense a erted smile forming on his lips. Her eyes widened and she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up as he advanced forwards, closing the space in between them.