Chapter 5

Breathe Me

 

Onew and Key began to load the bags into Key’s car. Every now and then Onew would look over at Minho, Taemin and Jonghyun, who laughed as they loaded up the tents and fishing equipment in the back of Minho’s rusty beat up truck. Onew was too busy stuck in his own world to notice Key.

 

Key quietly observed from afar. He didn’t know why he felt the way he did. He hated it. He knew he’d never have a chance with someone like Onew. Onew had been his best friend since middle school. They were practically brothers, but because of the fact that they knew each other for so long and been through so much together, made Key attracted to Onew even more.

 

As years passed Key fought with himself. He didn’t want to like Onew, but he couldn’t help it. He had realized it around their last year of high school, but had never gotten the courage to say anything. Especially after the fact that Onew told him he like Minho.

 

“We’re set!” Key said happily sticking his hand out at Jonghyun.

 

“What?” Jonghyun asked confused looking at his brother.

 

“The car keys.”

 

“I thought you had them.” He said patting his pockets.

 

“Don’t start with me,” Key said.

 

Jonghyun widen his eyes when he realized something. “I think I might’ve packed them away when I wasn’t paying attention,” Jonghyun confessed. Key groaned as he walked to the car and started going through everyone’s bags. “Minho you go ahead and set up camp. We’ve already lost so much daylight,” Jonghyun instructed.

 

“Arasso.” Minho said. “Let’s go, Tae. You can ride with me.” Minho said walking towards his truck.

 

Taemin smiled and did as he was told. He opened the door and was about to hop in when he realized Onew wasn’t behind him. “Aren’t you coming, hyung?” he asked.

 

“Ani,” Onew said with a smile. “You guys go ahead. I’m going to wait for Key and Jonghyun. I need to make sure they don’t kill each other.”

 

“Don’t take too long,” Minho joked as he got into his truck. With a quick turn of his key the vehicle came to life and they disappeared down the street.

 

“We won’t.” Onew sighed sadly. He turned and walked towards the arguing brothers.

 

---

 

The first few minutes of the ride were quiet ones. Taemin watched as the town slowly began to disappear and forest started to replace the houses and buildings. The farther they drove, the farther they seemed to get from civilization. Since both boys didn’t really know each other they weren’t sure as to what to talk about. Minho leaned forward and the radio to rid themselves of their awkward silence.

 

He rolled down the widows letting fresh air fill the cabin. Taemin hummed along to the song as he stuck his hand out the window letting the air hit his skin and hair. Minho smiled as he watched the boy enjoy himself.

 

“Is this your first time coming out to the lake?” Minho asked curiously as he watched the younger boy take in the scenery with awe.

 

“Ne,” Taemin said turning to Minho. “I’ve heard some people at school talk about it, but I’ve never been there myself. I’ve never spent a night away from home. Ever.” Taemin explain realizing how sheltered he really had been.

 

Minho looked at him, but wasn’t all that surprised. “We’ve been coming out here since we were kids.” He said referring to himself, Onew, Key and Jjong. “You were really little compare to the rest of us. Maybe that’s why Onew never let you come.”

 

“I guess we’ll just have to make up for lost time then,” Taemin said.

 

And just like that the bit of awkwardness they had felt disappeared. The whole ride there they talked about how life had been since Minho left. As they exchanged funny stories, hobbies, and interests, they found they had a lot in common. Minho would occasionally flirt and Taemin didn’t hesitate to flirt back.

 

---

 

Finally finding the keys, that were in the ignition the whole time, the 3 boys hopped in the car and drove after the other 2. Onew took the seat in the back and drowned out the sound of Key and Jjong’s arguing as he watched the endless green of trees. It had been so long since they’ve been fishing. He never really like to fish. He just liked to get away from everything. Being out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the sound of nature was soothing.

 

---

 

By the time the 3 eldest friends got to their fishing spot the sun was starting to set. Minho and Taemin had already set up both tents, but were nowhere to be found.

 

“I wonder where they wandered off to,” Jonghyun said jumping out of the car and running towards the water.

 

“I’m gonna go for a walk,” Onew said walking off in another direction before Key could say anything.

 

“Who was that one kid that was hanging off your neck yesterday?” Minho asked as he bent down to pick up a rock and skip it across the water as he and Taemin walked along the lake’s edge.

 

“Oh, you mean Kai,” Taemin said, bending down and picking up a rock as well. He remembered how Kai had been all over him the other day after school. He tried to mimic Minho, but failed.

 

“Yeah, him. I mean…” Minho said hoping it wasn’t too forward, “are you guys…a thing?”

 

“God, no!” Taemin said covering his mouth as he laughed. “He’s my best friend.”

 

Minho nodded a little relieved. “So you’re not seeing anyone?”

 

“No,” Taemin smiled. Always busy with school he didn’t really have time for that kind of thing.

 

“That’s good to know.” Minho said walking over to Taemin, who had tried to skip another rock, but failed again. “Here,” Minho said. He stood behind Taemin and placed his hand over the younger’s to demonstrate the motion of how to throw the rock in order to make it skip.

 

Taemin could feel his heart start to beat faster as he did his best to concentrate on the other’s teachings, but ended up admiring Minho’s face up close. Minho smiled when he caught Taemin staring, but decided not to say anything.

 

As the continued to skip rocks they didn’t noticed that Onew was hidden in the trees behind them, watching.

 

“That was quick,” Key said as Onew walked back into camp.

 

“That’s what she said,” Onew said with a fake smile. “I found them.” No sooner had he spoken did the two younger ones come out from the woods, laughing.

 

“Yah,” Kay scolded causing them both to stop. They had completely forgotten about their other friends. “Where have you two been?”

 

“Exploring,” Minho shrugged.

 

“Well get the fishing rods out! Those fishes aren’t going to catch themselves and I’m starving!”

 

---

 

With Jonghyun out gathering more fire would and Minho still teaching Taemin how to fish, Onew and Key were left drinking beer by the fire.

 

“Are you okay?” Key asked. He had sensed something was wrong with Onew all day, but didn’t think much of it. Onew was never the silent type so him having said hardly a word since they left home worried Key.

 

“Huh?” Onew replied. He found himself spacing out again.

 

“Are you okay?” Key repeated with a soft caring smile. “You’ve been really quiet since we got here.”

 

“I’m fine.” Onew replied, not really in the mood to talk about it.

 

“Don’t give me that. What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing, Key. Really. I’m just tired.” Onew lied, looking in Taemin and Minho’s direction. They were laughing as Minho stood behind Taemin trying to get him to lance the fishing line out correctly. “I’m fine.”

 

---

 

Night came slowly. Tired and with full bellies, they all decided to go to bed. Coincidently Taemin and Minho ended up sharing a tent. Unlike the other 3, they stayed up talking. There was something about Minho Taemin found confinement in and before he knew it he found himself confessing a lot of things. Like how he had never done drugs, or how he had never committed any kind of crime. He had never broken any kind of rule, and how he had never been kissed.

 

Although it was dark Minho could see the trace of Taemin’s face in the moonlight along with the dying fire. “Why do you say that like it’s a bad thing?”

 

Taemin shrugged. “Being around you guys for the past two days has made me realized that life’s too short to be wasting time on being careful and following rules.”

 

“Then why not go out and just do it?”

 

“I don’t anyone around to teach me.”

 

“What about Onew?

 

“He won’t teach me any of that stuff. He says I’m too good for stupid like that.”

 

“He’s right, you know? He’s just looking out for his kid brother. A nice kid like you shouldn’t be getting caught up in stuff like that anyway.”

 

“You guys are,” Taemin said shifting a little to look at Minho. “Why can’t I?”

 

Minho smiled. He found it cute how Taemin wanted nothing more than to fit in with the rest of them. “Tae, people like me and your brother do stuff like that because we have things we want to forget or have problems we don’t want to deal with. Despite the fact that it looks fun, it’s really not.”

 

“What do you want to forget?” Taemin asked suddenly.

 

Minho stayed quiet for a moment. He closed his eyes and the scene of that night played over and over in his mind. He was surprised Taemin didn’t know. Everyone else in town did. “It might be a little too soon to tell you,” Minho said thinking it over. He wondered how Taemin would take it.

 

“Maybe you can tell me sometime over a beer,” Taemin said biting his bottom lip. It was something he had wanted to try for a while now.

 

Minho sighed knowing he shouldn’t have said that. “I promise.”

 

Malkom’s Note
Gosh, guys. I haven’t been home for the past couple of days.
It seems that I only come home to sleep and for the rest of the day I’m out.
I guess that’s what people mean when they say they’re enjoying their summer lol
Anyway I’m planning to stay home one week and just write to finish this story.
I can’t tell you all enough I have no idea what I’m doing or where I’m going with it, but I hope you’re enjoying the ride :DD
Comments are love

 

Androider: HI! :D No, I haven’t forgotten you! ^^ Thank you. You’re so sweet and you gotta read to find out ;)

Cutetenshi: Well that’s good lol and don’t worry he will be..hopefully :x

Isabella0998: “I'm commenting separate cause i have no more room.” ßI don’t think that’s ever happened to a commenter before XD You’re amazing ♥

SugarPopFiction: He’s hurting :c

SunnySun: Dun be sad D: *huggles* LMFAO!! XD Calm down, amor… I miss chu~ T.T 3

SnHiromi: XD Team OnKey all the way! lol

-deehyung: Then wae you cry?? T.T

Koalaber: Welcome and thank you! ♥

CupcakesAndTae: He’s honestly not. I kinda don’t like Minho for not noticing, but even if he didn’t he can’t help it that he likes Tae :/