Secrets and Surprises

Under the Maple Tree

Dongwoo's POV

I looked out the window and saw bright orange and yellow leaves, being carried away from their homes with the wind. The streets are quiet, and it is dark. I looked down at Howon, my lover, who was laying in the hospital bed, sleeping. He has been here for the past six months.

FLASHBACK

"Doctor, what's wrong with him?" I asked, hopeful that theres nothing wrong.

"He has Adenocarcinoma, it's a type of lung cancer commonly found in smokers and non smokers.." He told me, nodding slowly.

"That's impossible!" 

"He breathed in the smoke from drugs. It takes years for it to be this bad."

"Oh...His family does drugs all the time. How bad is it??"

"It looks like it's been going on for a few years..It's very serious"

"Can it be cured?" I asked, hopefully.

"It's too late." I fell down on my knees, tears streaming down my face.

"Doctor...is he gonna die?"

"I'm sorry, but our estimation is about six months..."

"Can't you do anything?? Can't you give him shots or surgery? Get it out! YOu can't just let him die like that!! Please!! DO SOMETHING!" I yelled, grabbibg on to his leg.

"I'm sorry..Both lungs are badly affected, and he can't live without them." I let go of his leg and just saw him walk away, down the long hallway.

END OF FLASHBACK

I was staring down at his hands, and didn't notice him wake up.

"Wonnie~" I said brightly. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Mhm. I'm always alright." He said, smiling. "Wow. It's dark already. How long did I sleep?"

"About 5 hours." I said.

"Wow..were you here the whole time?"

"Yep."

"Ya! aren't you hungry? Go get something to eat!"

"No, i'm fine. I'm on a diet anyway." He got up and turned around, so the his feet were on the ground. He put his slippers on, and grabbed my hand, getting up.

"Where you going?" I asked, puzzled.

"I'm hungry Dongwoo." His stomach growled, and we both chuckled. I got up and we walked out of the room, to the hospital cafateria. Everything that Howon eats is free, since he's a patient. I helped roll his stand, where his vitamin water was hanging from. It gets very annoying somethimes. He two banana muffins, and scanned his wristband on the scanner. He handed me one and started to eat his.

"I'm supposed to pay for this." I said, smiling.

"Don't worry and take what's free." He gave me a wink and we sat there, eating our muffins. After we finished, we went back to Howon's room, sitting side by side on his bed. I his mini lamp and turned off the lights. "How long do I have?" I hesitated, then whispered,

"You have one more week, before six months is over." I looked down at my feet. It suddenly got quiet. I felt very uncomfortable.  Howon sighed and looked at me, smiling.

"Wow. A week. That's a long time. Don't worry. My heart will beat longer than that." I nodded, and got up from the bed.

"Ya you need to go to sleep so we can have some fun tomorrow~ I'll tell the nurse that we're not coming back for the rest of the week." I layed Wonnie down, and tucked him in. "Good night." I kissed him on the forehead, and watch him fall asleep. Hopefully, his heart will keep beating after a week.

THE NEXT DAY

Howon woke up early in the morning, before me. He was packing his things, by the time I woke up.

"You're already packing up?" He nodded, smiling brightly.

"I finally get to get out of this sophisticated place!" I smiled back, and got up to hug him. I hugged him from the back, as he placed his hands on mine.

After about an hour, we were done packing, and checked out of the hospital. We held hands, Wonnie's back pack on my back, our fingers laced together, and skipping happily to the park. When we sat on the bench, Howon grunted and leaned down, rubbing his chest.

"Are you alright??" I said, putting my hands on his shoulders.

"Yeah, i'm fine.. it just hurt a little bit." He said, getting up.

"We can go back to the hos-"

"No. I'm fine." He interupted. He gave me a weak smile and took my hand. "Hm. What should we do today?" Before we checked out of the hospital, the nurse suggested to keep in the IV tube but Howon protested, saying he'll be alright. He seemed a little bit weaker after a couple minutes later. I didn't tell Howon, but the nurse gave me a shot that I was supposed to give him when he suddenly got weaker, or lost conciousness. I put my hand in my pocket, touching the shot.

I got out a container filled with warm tea for Howon. He doesn't like cold things. It was green tea, and he smiled at me when I poured it in a cup and gave it to me.

"Where did you get this?" He said, drinking it carefully so that he dosen't burn his tongue.

"I made it. Just for you~"

"Awwee thanks Dongwoo~ You're so sweet." He pinched my cheek with his free hand and we both chuckled, enjoying our time together.

After our tea time, I took Wonnie to a steak restaurant.

I ordered the best food at the place. It was over $60 per dish. I ordered other side dishes, such as salad, and other vegetable related food. I cut the into tiny pieces for Howon.

We were eating our food, when suddenly Won excused himself and walked to the bathroom.

Hoya's POV

I quickly walked to the bathroom as I felt it coming. When I got there, I took a bunch og tissues and covered my mouth with it, coughing into it multiple times. When I looked at it, it was covered with blood. I couldn't cough in front of Dongwoo since he'd get worried. I washed my mouth and went back out, smiling.

"Is there anything wrong?" He asked. I could tell he was worrying a lot in the past 2 minutes.

"Nope. I just had to use the toilet." I smiled as I felt a sharp pain in my chest, and tried my best not to show it. It seemed as he didn't notice, so I smiled again and sat in my seat. I felt so bad for Dongwoo. I had one secret that I had to keep from him, and it just broke my heart to have him suffer when I told him. He'd find out later.

Our relationship first started when we met at the bus stop. He had lost his dog and was looking for it. He asked me for help and we ended up finding it dead on the road. It's an unusual way to start a relationship but oh well, at least we're together.

It was hard convincing his parents to let us stay in our relationship. Dongwoo ended up leaving his house.

I had planned this day from a few days before, so that everything worked out.

FLASHBACK, 3 DAYS AGO

I walked into the doctor's office, sitting down in front of his desk. He looked at me with sorrowful eyes, and sighed.

"What? Is there anything wrong?"

"Um..We got the test results."

"What happened?" I asked, hopeful that it won't be bad, but I kind of predicted what he was about to say.

"Um..I don't know how to tell you this..but..the cancer has advanced to stage five. We tried everything, but you came too late."

"What???" I asked, astaring at him. "So what's gonna happen to me?"

"Um..we are estimating 4 days." The doctor looked down.

"Oh..4 days..okay."


 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

I didn't want to tell him yet. I didn't want to ruin his day. Just keep it happy, and nice. I was very ready for the end, but I was worried about Dongwoo's reaction. He was probably going to go crazy if I told him now. I figured that I would know when it was the time, so I wasn't worried about suddenly dying in a few seconds.

When we were done eating, we went to a gift shop. I bought 2 heart necklaces and shoved our pictures in them when Dongwoo was distracted.

Dongwoo bought me a lot of stuff. Two blankets, a ring, shoes, a t-shirt, and a heart shaped balloon. I don't know why he bought me a balloon, but oh well, it was sweet.

We spent the rest of the day walking around a plaza. By the end of the day, I checked that time and it was about 9 pm. It was nice and dark, the breeze was nice and the autum leaves were softly blowing in the air. We then went to the Han river, and found a big maple tree to lean on. Dongwoo layed a blanket and we sat on it, our backs against the trunk of the tree. He then got out another blanket, the one he bought a couple hours ago, and placed in on our lap. We watched the beautiful scenery, drinking green tea that Dongwoo bought for me at the plaza. It warmed my insides, and it felt nice. I was surprised that I was still alive.

"Dongwoo, i'm tired.." I said, yawning.

"Do you want to go home?" He asked, looking at me.

"Nope. I want to stay here."

"Aren't you cold?" He asked, putting an arm around me, the other holding my hand.

"Not anymore." We smiled at each other as I got out the necklaces that I bought. I put one on Dongwoo.

"What is this?" He opened it and looked our picture, smiling sweetly.

"Awwwe~ You're so sweet Howon~" He said, kissing my cheek.

"I got it just for you~" Dongwoo chuckled as I leaned my head on his shoulder. I watched him yawn as he cuddled into me and in a few minutes, he fell asleep. I took time looking at him, as I got dizzy. I rubbed my chest as a felt a sharp pain, trying not to wake Dongwoo up. When the pain eased, I looked at him again.

"Dongwoo?" I whispered, making sure that he's asleep. When he didn't move, I began to whisper.

"Dongwoo, I have a secret to tell you...todays my last day. I hoped that it'll last longer, but you made me so happy. I love you Dongwoo. When i'm gone, remember that my spirit will be always with you. You have all the rights to get mad at me, but I just couldn't tell you until now. You are a great guy, so it won't be so hard finding a better person than me." I got so dizzy, that I couldn't even think correctly. "I love you." Those were the last words I could manage to say, before falling asleep, my head on Dongwoo's shoulder.

THE NEXT DAY

Author's POV

Dongwoo woke up the next day, noticing that Howon was still sleeping.

"Won-ah~ Wake up," He whispered, shaking Howon's shoulder. He didn't move at all, so he shook him agian.

"Won? Howon?? Ya!?" Dongwoo watched his lover's body lifelessly fall to the ground, his head landing on Dongwoo's lap.

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                            

HI GUYS! This is my first one-shot and I know it's really short and bad..but thanks for reading! I tried to make it as real as possible.sorry if something doesn't make sense! I almost cried when I wrote this..I think it's more sad than my other story, "I'm Sorry Baby..." Anyways, THANKS FOR READING! Comments are loved!

Oh and when I was writing this, I imagined Dongwoo crying ;~; this is the closest to what I was thinking, I think this is sadder than sobbing. Crying silently is one of the saddest ways to cry.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzwzsw2CCB1qzwjm2.gif