The first and the last

Kidnapped

Kidnapped

THE FIRST AND THE LAST

 

“Appa!” She called from the second floor with a huge smile on her face. Ari ran down the huge staircase and jumped in the arms of her adoptive father.

This normal-looking old man that she was hugging, was actually a criminal mastermind – the one behind the most dangerous acts in the whole of South Korea. “How’s my baby girl?” Choi Jiwoo said through that smirk on his face.

Ari looked up and let go of the hug, creating distance between her and her adoptive father. She hasn’t seen him for months since he was always going somewhere. “How was the trip to Tahiti?” She asked, spotting a bunch of boxes behind her father. “What’s that?”

“I bought my only daughter clothes since I heard you’ve been carrying out your missions very well.” Ari beamed and laughed, giving her father a quick hug.

“Thanks, appa.” She rushed over to the boxes and dug in through the pool of clothes.

“Oh and Ari?” Her father shrugged. Ari looked up, her smile gone. She knows already. “You have a special mission.”

She nodded and stood up, ordering the maid to take the boxes to her room as she and her father entered the huge conference room in the house. She sat on the chair and watched as a face appeared on the huge projector screen.

“Your next target: It’s a special delivery. Make sure you hand him over to me without a scratch. I’ll give you three weeks to do it, Ari.”Jiwoo shrugged, pressing another button as the details of the person popped up from the screen.

" Kim Jongin(Kai);

Seoul, South Korea;

Member of the popular boyband, EXO. "

She just couldn’t think what was going through her father’s mind when she found out that that Kai dude was a member of some famous group. All she knows is that she can never question her father’s orders or she would be punished until she learns her lesson.

The next morning, Ari was off to Seoul in her Porsche. Her luxury living and beauty was meant to seduce the male targets and to make things easier for her. But you lay one finger on her and you’d probably die.

From the huge mansion, it would take her exactly five days to travel from there to Seoul. The same when she comes back.

She pulled over in front of an alley near the SM Entertainment building and went out of her car, locking it as she made her way through the bubble tea store nearby.

As expected, he was there, not being obvious that he was EXO’s Kai. He was alone since it was almost eight in the evening now. The minute Kai walked out of the store, Ari dusted her clothes and fixed herself.

Got’cha. She shrugged and took out a bottle of spray-on perfume from her pocket , quickly approaching the Kai dude. “Excuse me, sir.” She plastered on a smile as Kai faced her, blinking. “Would you like to try our new product?” She gave her sweetest smile to lure Kai in.

Kai stuttered a bit. “I’m sorry… I have business to attend to. Later.” Kai quickly ran off, protecting his face from being exposed.

But before he could run off, Ari jumped in front of him. “Just one try! I promise! I’ll leave immediately if you try it just once!”

Kai hesitated a bit but when he saw that there weren’t that much people around he sighed and nodded. “Hurry, miss.” He held out his hand, waiting for Ari to give the bottle to him. Grinning, Ari gave him the bottle and watched slowly in amusement as he smelled it. This is easier than I thought.

“Huh?” Kai shook his head, keeping his eyes from shutting down. “Why… why do I feel dizzy?” After a few seconds, Kai was out.

“Sleep tight, mister.” Ari chuckled darkly and caught him in her arms, dragging him over to her car and did her work. 


 

Kai woke up inside Ari’s car, his hands and legs zip tied together and his mouth duct taped. With a terrible headache, he looked around and spotted the girl who drugged him, driving as she yawned. The sunlight was blinding, making Kai groan a bit.

Kai struggled but he felt the zip tie get tighter around his wrist. He twitched.

“I wouldn’t move if I were you.” Ari simply said, her eyes firmly on the road. “The more you move, the tighter the zip tie gets.”

Kai groaned again and just sat there, feeling his pockets to check if his phone was still there.

“I threw your phone away, if you were wondering.” Ari grinned mischievously, shrugging.

Kai looked around for his bag.

“…I threw your phone away with your bag.”

He groaned one more time and just faced the girl in front of him. “Mmmph! Mmph mmph mph mmmph mmph!”

Ari turned and raised a brow at him for a second and then returned her eyes back to the road. “You want the duct tape off your mouth?”

Kai simply nodded and rolled his eyes.

“No way. You’re rolling your eyes at me.” Ari scoffed and decided to ignore him. But he just wouldn’t shut up.

Mmph!” Kai tried to catch her attention again. “Mmph mmph!”

“Okay, now I just don’t get you.”

Mmph!”

“The duct tape?”

Kai nodded and this time, he looked sincere with the request. A smile crept up Ari’s face and she rolled her eyes.

“And how would I know that if I remove that tape, you wouldn’t scream like a maniac?”

Mmmph!” Kai whined. He was terrified.

“You promise you won’t scream?” Ari gave him a look and Kai nodded.

Shrugging, Ari pulled over to one side of the road and unbuckled her seatbelt, pulling one end of the tape and stripping it off of Kai’s face in a blink of an eye.

“OW!” Kai screamed and Ari looked at him in disbelief.

“You promised you wouldn’t scream!” She pouted and crossed her arms like a child.

“I can’t help it, woman! Are you crazy?! Do you know who I am? I am a very important person! So I suggest you take me back, now!” Kai couldn’t help himself but scream. After all, who wouldn’t be screaming at a time like this? He was in panic. “Or are you just my fan? Please, let me go! I’ll do anything you want with the exception of me getting you pregnant!”

Ari blinked at his words and laughed at his face. “I don’t even know who you are but I know you’re definitely too full of yourself!” She laughed more, clutching her stomach.

“You’re a fan aren’t you?! Let me go! I’ll supply you with life-time albums just let me go!” He begged.

“I’m not a fan.” Ari answered with a calm voice. 

“Then what are you?” Kai looked at her from head to toe, lowering the tone of his voice.

“Your kidnapper.” Ari grinned and nodded to herself.

“What?”

“You sir, have just been kidnapped. Obviously.” 


 

“Where are we going?” Not even half-way there, Kai asked. He was a lot calmer now and Ari was just plain bored. This man wasn’t as noisy as she thought like the others she tried to kidnap before. They would usually scream their lungs out for the whole trip and Ari would kill them on the spot because of annoyance.

With another yawn, she shrugged. “Somewhere near the south coast line of South Korea.” She answered.

Kai’s jaw dropped. “What?”

“It’ll take us five days to get there so I suggest you make yourself feel at home in my car.”

Kai stayed silent but after a few seconds, he asked another question. “What’s your name?”

Ari stared at him unbelievably. “Are you serious? Knowing the name of your kidnapper? Ha.”

“Well I’m going to be with you for five days! I’m not the silent type too. So you must talk to me.” He pointed out.

“Aren’t you the least afraid? After your five days with me, you’d probably be dead for all I care.” Ari had to admit, Kai was getting on her nerves. But he was different at least. Out of all the people she kidnapped for her father, Kai was at least, not screaming like a maniac and is calm about things.

Keep calm and think positive. Kai breathed in. “Well, they’re going to suspect that I’m gone anyway. I’d probably be taken out of your hands by the third day or so.”

“Are you underestimating me and my kidnapping skills?” The girl raised a brow, not bothering to look at him as she kept on driving.

Before Kai could answer, his stomach grumbled and he sighed in relief. Saved by my stomach. “I’m hungry.” He declared.


“Here.” Ari hovered the burger in front of his mouth, waiting for him to take a bite. Kai just stared at it then turned his head to her with his brows raised.

“Oh, come on!” He groaned. “I can do it by myself if you just remove this thing off my wrists.” He motioned his head over to the zip tie.

“I’m not an idiot to do that, Kai.” Ari grumbled and took a bite of the burger by herself.

Kai was too busy staring at her unbelievably after she called him by his name to notice that she already took a bite off his burger. “D-did you just call me by my name?”

“Well, that’s what fans call you right?” She shrugged and sipped her cola.

“My food!” His eyes widened and he whined, feeling his stomach grumble once more.

“Oh, stop being a baby.” Ari rolled her eyes and placed the already-bitten burger in front of him again. “Hurry and take a bite.”

Kai hesitated and looked down. “If I don’t eat, would you at least remove the thing on my wrist and leg?”

Ari raised a brow at him. “Are you sure? You have to promise me one thing though.”

“I’m sure. I won’t escape, I promise.” He nodded willingly.

“If I find you escaping…” Ari took out a knife and expertly twirled it in her hands. She leaned in closer to Kai and pointed the knife to , pretending to slice her own. Kai gulped and nodded, watching Ari as she lifted the knife in front of him and sliced the zip tie on his wrists off. She did the same for the one on his leg and quickly returned the knife inside her boots.

“Thanks.” Kai was able to breathe properly now knowing that he can now move freely. His stomach grumbled again and he sighed. “Ignore that one.”

Might as well let him enjoy the last days of his life. She shrugged and threw a cap over him. “Hurry and wear that.” She pulled over in front of some random restaurant by the street and handed him some shades to wear. “…and that. Put your hood on.”

“Why, where are we going?” He asked and did what he was told.

“Eating dinner, duh.” She grabbed her wallet and stepped out of the car before he did.

Kai still sat there, frozen. But after a few seconds, a smile managed to go up his face. He let out a chuckle and made sure his face was well hidden. Maybe his kidnapper wasn’t as heartless as he thought she would be. 


“Order whatever you want.” She scanned the menu in her hands and so did Kai. Kai couldn’t even think straight and just ordered the first thing his eyes laid on. Chicken.

When the food arrived, all that Ari did was look at him as he ate sloppily. He looked like he hadn’t eaten for days. Being the orderly girl she is, she handed him a tissue to wipe his mouth with. “Here,” 

Kai stopped chewing for a second and looked up at the girl in front of him. Somehow, it bothered him to not know her name. Grinning widely, he took the tissue and wiped his mouth with it. “Thanks.” It was then that he noticed her untouched food. “Not going to eat, Ms. Kidnapper?” He raised a brow and took a spoonful.

Ari just shrugged and started eating her pasta without another word. Ari was confused. How is it that a person like him can exist? After all, when you get kidnapped, you do nothing but panic. Watching her eat, Kai gave a small smile. Although he knew he was kidnapped, he had to admit, he was having fun.

 After eating, Ari went to a nearby motel that the locals pointed out. Since midnight was slowly approaching and her eyes were getting droopy, she needed some sleep. She also noticed how Kai was bobbing his head up and down, as if he was trying not to fall asleep inside the car.

Ari opened the door to the room she rented for the night, yawning. Only one bed was in there and it was big enough to fit both of them in.

Kai’s eyes widened and he blinked. “Only one bed?” He asked.

“I’m not letting you stay in another room.” Ari glared at him and rolled her eyes. “I’m not stupid.”

“B-but aren’t you afraid that…?” He didn’t finish his sentence since he saw the look Ari was giving him. He just nodded and shrugged it off.

Ari dumped her bag on the bedside table and sat down on a chair, yawning for the nth time. “Hurry and sleep. We have a long day tomorrow.” She pointed out and shrugged, secretly pinching herself to stay awake.

Kai sat on the edge of the bed. “You’re not going to sleep?”

“Not until you’re asleep.” She answered, watching him with intent eyes.

Kai blinked and shrugged. He was really tired that he couldn’t care less whether if she was going to sleep or not. Without any words, he found himself under the covers of the soft bed, falling asleep in an instant.

After an hour, she could tell that Kai was asleep already. Groaning slightly, she made her way to the only couch and lied down, closing her eyes and falling into a deep slumber.


The next morning, Ari shot up from the couch, quickly noticing that there was no sleeping figure on the bed. She groaned and cursed, ignoring the fact that she was still dead tired. “I knew it! I shouldn’t have let him go!” She put on her shoes and ran to check the bathroom. It was locked.

He has to be in here. She hoped and she was right. After a few seconds, Kai came out of the bathroom, looking down.

“Are you trying to kill yourself, huh? Did you know I was – ”

“Where is it?” Kai hissed over at her, clenching his fists in frustration.

Ari didn’t seem to get him. “Where’s what?”

Kai looked up with an angered look on his face. He looked like he was about to be broken and Ari could sense the mixed emotions that he was sending over to her. “Don’t play dumb with me, woman.” He grumbled and took a step towards her. Ari backed up and eventually hit the wall.

Kai placed his hands on the wall, cornering her. “Where is it?” He repeated again. His voice broke and all Ari could do was look down.

To make him back up, Ari gave him a good punch in the stomach and Kai backed away, crashing to the bed as he clutched his stomach in pain. He didn’t let out a groan of pain or anything. He just stayed there, unmoving.

Ari scoffed and punched the wall next to her. “I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about so calm your ing emotions down.” She was mad. How dare he do that to her.

But her anger faded away when she heard soft sobs coming from the still unmoving boy. Her eyes softened and she felt guilt take over her. Why in the world was he crying?

She heard him sniff and he finally spoke in a broken voice. “You took it, right – my bracelet?” He softly spoke. “You took it while I was sleeping, right? Please, give it back.”

She thought about it. Oh, that bracelet. Yes, Ari saw that bracelet when she kidnapped the boy but she didn’t take it off or anything. In fact, that was where she placed the microchip so she could track him down if he tried to run away. And now, the bracelet was lost. And that microchip cost billions of won.

“I’ll help you look for it.” She sighed and grabbed the box of tissues that was on the bed side table. She sat beside Kai and gently patted his head. It must mean that bracelet was really important for him. Voluntarily, she grabbed a piece of tissue and wiped away his tears.

She doesn’t even know why she was doing this to her victim. The heart inside of her told her to but her brain told her this wasn’t right. She was a killer after all. She wasn’t normal like the others.

She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Kai’s gentle snores. His head was on her lap now and she had no idea how it got there. Gently lifting his head up, she placed a pillow underneath it and grabbed her phone. If the microchip was still attached, she would be able to track the bracelet down.

Without wasting any time, Ari tracked down the bracelet as she guarded her victim sleep. 


Kai woke up somewhere in the afternoon, his stomach grumbling and his eyes still damp from earlier. He groaned, looking around as he spotted no one else inside the small room. Though, there was a note beside him.

“I’m gonna trust you to not run away while I go get your bracelet back. I’d probably be still gone when you wake up so I suggest you enjoy yourself with the television. Escape and you die the next time I see you, okay? I’ll haunt you down forever and you won’t be able to live in peace. I’ll be back three or four in the afternoon. Bear with the hunger for a while.”

“…and she says she’s not stupid. What kind of kidnapper leaves the victim alone? Pfft.” He rolled his eyes and grabbed the remote, switching the TV to the news.

Even though he could clearly see his name on the headlines, Kai was in a complete daze. All of a sudden, he blushed at the fact that he used her lap as a pillow. Why did I do that? He buried his face in his palms and calmed his heart down. This is wrong. I shouldn’t fall for a…

Kai groaned again, turning off the TV and making his way to the bathroom to take a quick shower. But he stopped mid-way knowing that he had no extra clothes. Scratching his head, he just shrugged and stepped inside the bathroom to take a shower.

Thirty minutes later, Ari arrived earlier than expected. She opened the door to hear someone showering in the bathroom. She was completely satisfied with her efforts since she did find his bracelet and it was in her pockets now. Thankfully, the microchip she glued on it was still intact.

Skipping happily to the bathroom door, she knocked, and leaned her ear to the door. “Kai, I’m back. There’s food here.”

No reply came and she raised a brow. She was about to turn the knob to check if it wasn’t locked but Kai beat her to it and opened the door, making Ari fall towards him. With wide eyes, Kai caught her by the hand, giving Ari a full view to his exposed abs.

She turned red as a tomato and jumped away, blushing. “What the hell, dude?!” She shrieked, turning around.

Kai smirked, amused. “Oh, I know you like it.” He chuckled and dried his hair with the towel. He went over to the edge of the bed and sat on it, turning on the TV once again.

Ari turned to face him with an embarrassed look on her face. “Aren’t you going to wear clothes?” She asked, covering her face with her hands.

“Enjoy the view while the clothes are drying up.” He motioned his head towards the small terrace where the clothes were hanging, still wet.

“That’s it!” Ari threw a spare towel towards him. “I’m taking you shopping later!”

Kai just shrugged. “No need to waste money on a person who’s probably gonna die in a few days.”

There he goes again. “Why are you like this?!” She scratched her head, frustrated. “You’re supposed to be afraid! You were supposed to escape while I was gone! But… why did you stay? Why aren’t you screaming like a damn girl?!” She rambled on.

He shrugged again, not facing her. “I don’t see what’s the point in screaming. Besides, if I scream in this room with the staff knowing that there’s a male and a female occupant, that would be weird, right? They might get the wrong idea and think that I’m doing something with you.” He smirked again and laughed evilly.

“Err…” Ari couldn’t help but blush. “…then what about escaping, huh?”

“I want to live my life in peace, for your information.” He answered simply.

He sure has a different way of thinking. Her heart skipped a beat and she sighed, giving up. “When the clothes are done drying up, hurry up and put them on. I’m taking you shopping. That’s final.” She sat on the chair near the small desk and rested her head on the table, looking away from him. Her eyes were getting droopy again and she could tell she was only half-awake now.

Feeling her vision blur, she felt a pair of hands go under her knees and behind her back and they wrapped securely around her. Strong hands lifted her up and she fell asleep on the hands of Kai. The last thing she knew, she was on the bed and someone tucked her in for the first time in her life. 


“It’s so hot. Why do I have to wear this hood on?” Kai groaned and adjusted his shades and cap.

“Hot?” Ari stared at him, shaking her head. “It’s freezing!”

“Well, it’s not my fault you fell asleep and we have to leave in the evening. Be thankful I carried you to the bed.” He snorted as both of them entered a shop where there were not much people around.

“Go ahead and choose two sets or something. Doesn’t matter. Don’t worry about the price tag.” Ari nodded and settled down on a chair, grabbing a magazine and reading it as Kai did his thing.

Kai was inevitably quick. Just by looking at the shirt he laid his eyes on, he knew already that it was his size so he immediately grabbed it and went to the fitting room to change his clothes. He walked out, still noticing that his kidnapper was indulged in reading that certain magazine she was holding.

He shrugged and went to pick one more set before finally disturbing his kidnapper. “I’m done.” He declared, shrugging.

Ari looked at her watch and her eyes widened. It’s only been fifteen minutes. She blinked and looked up from her watch, observing Kai from head to toe. She shut the magazine close and tossed it back to the case, standing up and then walking over to the cashier. She paid for it and then walked out casually.

“Where are we going now?” Kai tilted his head, shrugging in his new clothes. Ari stopped walking after, making Kai bumped into her. “What’s up?” He turned his head to the direction Ari was looking and spotted a street food stand.

Kai chuckled and grabbed her hand, pulling her over. “Well, don’t just stand there.” He shrugged and led her there, looking down. Her hands weren’t that soft due to her harsh training but it was definitely warm. With a light squeeze, he smiled and ordered up two dukbokki’s for the both of them.

He held his hand out and she raised a brow at him. “Money.” He simply said and Ari rolled her eyes, a smile on her face.

“You dragged me here without money. How shameless.” She took out the exact amount and handed it to Kai, chuckling a bit as she received her dukbokki.

“Well you threw my bag away. All my precious money was there.” He pouted a bit and shrugged, sticking a stick through a rice cake and putting it inside his mouth in satisfaction.

The two of them sat on a bench in front of a well-lit fountain, eating silently. When they were done, Kai voluntarily threw their trash away and they just sat there, staring at the fountain.

“Why did you kidnap me all of a sudden? Why me?” He asked without looking at her as his eyes remained at the fountain in front of them. His face was emotionless and she could tell that he was serious about the question.

“I don’t know.” Ari answered, playing with her fingers. Kai didn’t answer and Ari knew that he wanted her to explain. “I was ordered to do it. It turns out that you are a special delivery.”

“Ordered by whom?” Kai asked. He wanted to know more.

“My father.” Kai’s eyes widened at her answer.

“Y-your own biological father?” Kai stuttered a bit and finally looked at her. She was emotionless as if this conversation didn’t affect her at all.

“Nope. I don’t have any real parents.”

“Then can’t you refuse your father’s order?”

Ari looked down again and she shook her head. “If I were too, I’d be in my room right now starving for a week. I tried once and I almost got killed.”

“Then why don’t you run away?”

“I can’t.”

“Aren’t you afraid that you’d get caught then?”

“Who? The police?” She managed to smile at a time like this. “It’s fine, as long as they don’t find out that it’s my dad who’s actually – “ She was stopped when Kai grabbed her shoulders and shook her.

“Are you insane? You’re willing to sacrifice yourself for the sake of that evil guy?” He stared directly into her eyes. There was no emotion, just a blank stare.

She looked away from his gaze and went back to staring at the fountain. “I have no choice. It’s my only way of thanking him. He’s been a father to me Kai. He gave me everything I need and I just have to follow his orders. If it wasn’t for him, I’d be dead by now.”

Kai did the most unexpected thing. Instead of scolding her more, he pulled her into a hug. This person, strong appearance yet has a soft heart, managed to make him actually thankful of where he was now. “It’s okay…” He rubbed her back soothingly and occasionally her hair. Unwillingly, he planted a kiss on her head and placed his head on top of hers. “I’ll help you find a way through all of this.”

He felt his shoulder get a bit damp and he could instantly tell that she was crying already. “S-stop it…” She blurted out, pulling herself away from the hug. She raised her head up, obvious tears in her eyes. “I can’t… I possibly can’t…” She stuttered standing up and taking a step back. “I can’t fall in love with you, Kai.” She sobbed. 

She took another step back and Kai stood up, reaching out to her with a single hand. He had no idea what to call her since she didn’t mention her name.

“I’m giving you this chance to run away. Go on, run. You don’t deserve to get killed by my father.” She  pointed at a random direction and wiped her tears with her other hand. “I’ll find a way to endure the punishment. Hurry, run.” She grabbed her wallet and took out a few hundred thousand won, handing it to Kai. “Find a way back to Seoul without me.”

Kai was stunned. His mind told him to make a run for it but his heart wanted to stay with her. Clenching his fists he ran… towards her. He securely wrapped his arms around her, feeling her struggles.  But Ari gave up and just cried on his chest, hugging him back.

“I won’t leave you.” Kai assured her. “We’ll solve this together.” He then cupped her face in his hands, wiping the tears away with his thumb. “…and who said you can’t fall in love with me?”

“Kai, I can’t.” She spoke softly, touching his hand in her cheeks. “Our lives are different. I’m not meant to be with you, Kai. I’ll just ruin your life. I’m a criminal. I’ve helped kill hundreds of people already. I can’t – “

To quickly shut her up, Kai crashed his lips onto hers, pulling her closer to him. It wasn’t a surprise to him that Ari kissed back. It lasted like that for a minute and Kai pulled away, leaning his forehead onto hers. “I love you, Ms. Kidnapper. I don’t think anybody will be able to change that fact.” 


 

The next day, Ari and Kai decided to spend some time for each other. They weren’t that much in a hurry since the deadline was still two weeks away. The following day was when they devised a plan.

“Hello, appa?” Ari spoke through her phone, Kai watching intently behind her as he listened to the loudspeaker.

“Alice!” Her father called out her English name in his perfect English accent. “How are you my dear? Have you gotten hold of Kim Jongin-ssi?”

“Ne, appa.” She replied.

 “Oh, really?” Her father spoke in a surprised voice. “I didn’t think you would get hold of him so easily. Where is he now?”

“Appa, you trained me. I’m as good as you, remember?” Ari’s face showed no emotions. It was only her tone changing. “He’s in the usual.”

“Of course, daughter.” A soft chuckle came and Ari just shrugged. “The usual zip tie and duct tape, huh? May I speak with him? Maybe you can take off the duct tape in his mouth and let him speak to me for a while.”

“Ne.” She put the call on hold and handed the phone to Kai. Kai resumed the phone call and gulped. “Y-yeoboseyo?”

“Oh, it is really you! After this, I expect you to congratulate my one and only daughter for succeeding. Anyway, how are you Kim Jongin-ssi? Is my daughter treating you well?”

“Say yes.” Ari mouthed over to him and Kai nodded.

“N-ne.” He then started putting his acting skills into good use. “W-why me, ahjussi? W-what do you want from me?”

“The sooner you get here, the sooner you’ll find out.” Her father let out a laugh. “My, my, you’re calmer than expected. I wonder what my daughter did to you to get you to act like this. It was nice meeting you, Kim Jongin-ssi. You’ll see me soon. Please, pass the phone back to Ari.”

And he did. He shrugged and shook his head at her father. Ari let smiled and took the phone back. “Yes, dad?”

“I expect you to be back here in the next four days, my dear.”

“What? B-but appa! It’s really fun here in Seoul!”

“No, Ari. Four days.” Her father hung up and she sighed, grabbing her bag.

Kai stood up from his seat and carried her other bag, placing an arm over her shoulder, pulling her close to him. “It’ll be alright. Let’s go.” He gave a smile and led her to her car.

“I just hope this works.” She sighed and climbed in the driver’s seat, starting the car as she waited for Kai to get in.

 The whole car ride was silent. Kai didn’t want to speak anymore because he was worrying about his life and well, Ari too of course. If by any chance this plan fails, he’ll be dead and he fears what would happen to Ari after. If the plan succeeds, they’ll be able to get out of this mess happily. At the back of his head, he worried about his career too.

“I’m sure if this plan succeeds, your fans will welcome you back as well as your company.” Ari gave a reassuring smile and patted his hand as she drove.

Four long days seemed like it was months for them. The closer they got to home, the more Ari got nervous.

“Here we are.” Ari breathed out and shrugged, watching as the huge gates to her father’s mansion opened up for them. Again, Kai had his arms and legs zip tied and his mouth duct taped.

Kai could clearly see that all eyes were on them and he shivered. As soon as Ari pulled over and stopped the car, some guy in a black suit opened the door for her and she was the first one to step out. “Welcome home, milady.” Kai heard them all greet as they paid respect to her.

With a snap of her fingers, her two most trusted butlers came up behind her. “Take the man inside the car and follow me up to father’s office.” She ordered and two large double doors opened for her to come in.

As for Kai, he was being carried like a ragged doll on some butler’s shoulder. He hated being like this and being upside down made him kind of dizzy. Sometimes, he would wriggle to let them know that he’s still afraid.

With a knock, Ari plastered a huge smile on her face and opened the door. “Appa, I’m back!” She declared, getting her father’s attention as he sat on a black leather chair behind an old antique mahogany desk.

“Oh, so fast?” Jiwoo placed his cup of coffee down and smiled at his own daughter. “You never disappoint me, Alice.”

He just loves calling me by my English name, huh? Ari gave a small smile and nodded. “Of course, appa. Never.”

“Very well then, somebody is waiting for you downstairs.” Her father sent her a signal and she sighed, nodding again to his orders. She has to do it again. “I need to talk to Kim Jongin-ssi in private.”

She nodded and excused herself, sending a look to Kai as he was dumped by the butler on the couch. Kai watched as Ari left, feeling fear take over him. As the butlers left and the doors closed, Kai finally saw who was behind all of Ari’s unwilling kidnapping. His eyes widened and he felt shivers go down his spine.

Jiwoo stood up from his seat and walked over to Kai, tearing off the duct tape that was stuck to his mouth. Kai groaned in pain and felt little tears forming in his eyes but it wasn’t enough to make him cry. “I’m sorry, forgive me if that hurt.” Jiwoo apologized with a smile on his face.

Kai couldn’t believe that this gentle man was actually a killer. “I-It’s okay…”

“So, tell me. What did you do to make my daughter treat you so well?” He started then spotted the curiosity in Kai’s eyes. He just smiled and shrugged. “I’ll answer your questions once you’ve done answering mine.”

Kai nodded. “What do you mean, sir?”

“When I tell her to deliver someone to me without a scratch, usually that certain delivery arrives with either a broken bone or some wounds and it’s hard to believe you’re okay. I see she left you untouched.” Jiwoo explained, sitting on the couch across from him. All of a sudden, his eyes turned cold and his face remained emotionless. “You love her, don’t you?”

. Kai felt like a bullet was shot through him. But he can’t lose hope now. “Why would I fall in love with a kidnapper?” He raised a brow, making the fact obvious.

“Smart boy.” Jiwoo nodded and he stood up. “Alright, I’ll answer your question.”

“Why am I here?” Kai looked down.

When he was about to speak and explain to him, there was a knock on the door. Jiwoo frowned and he excused himself properly. “Come in.”

The same butler from before entered and bowed. “Sir, she’s ready. She’s waiting for you in the clearing with the victim.”

Jiwoo nodded. “Will you please set this man free and let him move properly?” He pointed at Kai and the butler nodded. He grabbed a knife from his pocket and sliced the zip ties off of him.

“Come on, Kim Jongin-ssi. Let’s talk while walking.” Kai nodded and slowly got up from the couch, following Jiwoo outside.

“You see, I had a son once. He was brave, strong and definitely worthy to be my successor.” He explained as they walked through the long hallways. “I sent my son to a mission. A hard one.”

Kai just raised a brow at him and waited as he continued. “Well, my son was a rebel. He didn’t like to kill. He went against me, always. He would always trash the missions I give him. He came into my office once, raging and demanding that he would like to be like everyone else in this world – normal.”

“So I arranged a deal. I asked him to kill this certain person. If he managed to do it, then I would let him be. But that mission went all wrong.” They turned and stepped outside towards the forest, slowly nearing the clearing. “I loved my son very much. As a father it was the least I could do. But two weeks past the deadline and he didn’t come back yet. I started to get worried and went there to the place I sent him myself. And this is what I found.” Jiwoo motioned his head towards the girl who looked so ruthless, standing there with a gun as she pointed it to a screaming man who was tied up.

“No, please no!” The man begged.

“Then tell me where that man is.” Kai realized the voice immediately and his eyes widened. His head perked up and he noticed how blank her eyes were. Her face had no life in it and Kai could tell that she was already used to it. He twitched. This wasn’t the girl he loved.

As the man shook his head, Ari shot a bullet through his foot mercilessly. Blood started to come out. “Still no?” She asked with a straight tone.

“Then go ahead! Kill me! I will never tell you where!” The man spat at her.

Ari tossed the gun aside and grabbed a bucket filled with gas, showering the man with it after. The man coughed and Kai felt like looking away. Is he telling me this is how his son died?

When Ari took out a match and lit it up, Kai gasped. “Ari! Don’t!” He screamed and ran towards her. Jiwoo was surprised for the first time in a long time. The moment Kai screamed for her, Ari’s face began to have life and her eyes widened in shock.

“K-kai…” Her hands trembled and she tried to push Kai away from her. “Stay away from me. I have to finish this.”

Kai didn’t let go. “Stop it. This isn’t you.”

Jiwoo frowned. “I didn’t expect to see this. Alice, explain.”

“Appa…” Finally, Kai let go and stood a bit in front of her. “…it’s not what it looks like.”

Jiwoo just sighed and looked at her, disappointed. “I never thought it would come this way. Kim Jongin-ssi, you’re an exact replica of my son that passed away. I thought of taking you in and have you live in luxury but… maybe I am after all better left alone.” He then faced Ari and gave a nod.

“Hey, I’m still here?” The man bleeding behind all of them groaned. Annoyed, Ari grabbed a gun out of her boot and shot the man directly in the head.

Jiwoo took out a gun and pointed it at Kai and Ari immediately pulled him back, shielding him from the gun. Ari pointed her gun towards her adoptive father with a menacing stare. “Appa, don’t.” She hissed.

“I knew it. You fell in love with him right?! How many times have I told you not to fall in love?!” Her father grumbled. “How dare you point your gun at me, Alice.”

“I’m tired of it all, father.” Ari shrugged. “Kai, go back inside.” She ordered without looking at him. Kai nodded but as he took a step away from her, Jiwoo shot the space next to his foot. Kai jumped back behind Ari. It pains him knowing that a girl is stronger than him.

To get back at him, Ari shot the tree behind him. “Don’t even dare on killing him. I know your weakness. I can kill you as fast as you can kill me.”

Jiwoo felt like he was about to break down. After all this time, he treated Ari as his own daughter. He loved her so much that he gave everything except for freedom. He couldn’t believe that the girl he saved from nineteen years ago would turn her back on him – just like his deceased son. “Why Ari?” His voice trembled. “I treated you like my own. You know what I’ve been through.” He dropped the gun and walked towards his daughter.

Ari looked down and lowered her gun, eyes softening. “I’m sorry, appa. We’ve been searching for the man who killed your son for ten years already. Don’t you think it’s time to move on?” Jiwoo walked over to her and stumbled down on the last step. Ari caught him and caressed his head. Even though she had a miserable life, if it wasn’t for this man in her arms, she wouldn’t have met Kai in the first place.

“ARI!” Kai shouted and it all happened so fast.

As Jiwoo was in Ari’s arms, he slipped his hand inside his coat and grabbed a knife, stabbing her in the stomach. At that same moment, Ari shot a bullet through Jiwoo’s stomach.

Eyes wide, she coughed up blood. She backed away and turned to Kai immediately, ignoring the pain. “Run.” She clutched her stomach, feeling the blood drip through her fingers.

A laugh escaped from Jiwoo. “Oh, it’s not over yet.” He laughed again, taking out a button. “If I die, I’m taking you with me Ari.”

“No.” Her eyes widened. It was the red box of doom for her – the self-destruct button. A minute after the button has been pressed, the whole house would explode. Groaning in pain she grabbed Kai’s hand and started to run away.

Kai felt adrenaline rush through him. When he saw the state Ari’s in now, he didn’t even hesitate to carry her and made a run for it. He didn’t feel her weight at all. It was like he was running with a backpack filled with a 400-page book or so.

“Self-destruct has been activated. Sixty-seconds ‘till explosion.” When Kai heard this, he cursed and ran faster.

“Why does this freaking house have to be so big!?” He screamed and followed where the servants were running out. When he saw the double doors they went in earlier, the house began to shake and he snorted.

“Forty-five seconds.” The system reminded.

“God damn it!” Kai ran but Ari tugged his sleeve.

“Leave me here. Go escape on your own, Kai.” He didn’t stop running at her words.

“Shut up, Choi Ari. I’m not leaving you behind.” Exactly after that, he heard police sirens outside and he felt hope rush through him.

“You hear that? That’s the start of a new beginning.” He commented as he made a mad dash.

Feeling a tear slide down her cheek, she takes out something from her pocket and forcefully rolled down out of Kai’s grasp. She fell to the floor and Kai stared at her, eyes wide. “Here,” She dangled the familiar bracelet in front of him and took his hand, slipping it inside of his grasp.

“Don’t be a stubborn man, Kai. Go on without me. You have friends who’ll worry about you.” She gave a smile and sat up from the floor, pushing him away. “Run, Kai.”

“Twenty seconds till explosion.” The system spoke again.

Kai felt his heart beat fasten. “No…”  He shook his head and stubbornly stood frozen.

The double doors slammed open and a bunch of policemen entered. “There he is! Take him!” The chief pointed at Kai and the police grabbed both of his arms and dragged him away.

“Let go, you idiots! That’s my girlfriend!” Kai struggled out of their grasp but he was far too weak to handle four men at once. “Ari!” He felt tears streaming down his face.

“Ten seconds till explosion.”

She smiled at him and cursed to herself. She tried so hard not to look at Kai. When she heard the doors shut, some policemen looked at her. “Run, fellas. Leave me be.” They just looked at her.

Meanwhile outside, Kai was dragged out of the estate and was put inside the ambulance. “No! Let me go!” He sobbed and watched as the doors closed and locked before him. “Ari!”

Then he finally heard it – the sound he didn’t want to hear. A loud explosion was heard, beginning from the gas tanks in the kitchen then the basement. The explosion from the basement damaged the foundation of the house, sending it crashing down to pieces. As for the gas tanks in the kitchen, it exploded and burnt the remaining pieces of wood.

It was a terrible sight for everyone but Kai was the most affected. The girl he managed to love in less than five days died in front of him and he could do nothing. He felt like his heart stopped beating and it fell into pieces.

“Kai, it’s gonna be alright. We’ve got you.” His manager patted his back, soothing him as he gave him a bottle of water. Aside from Ari’s death, there was one thing that’s been bugging him.

How’d the police get here?

Kai suspected something. Could it be that Ari had a separate plan – a plan that involved her dying to save him?

“Hyung…” Kai started, an emotionless look on his face. His tears stopped and all he could do was blankly stare at the bottle of water. “…who called the police?”

“They said it was a girl.” His manager explained and he knew exactly who that girl was. So it was true, Ari called the police. But when and why didn’t she tell him?

Don’t tell me she knew our plan would fail all along…

Kai closed his eyes, a single tear rolling down his cheek. He wouldn’t know if he would be able to attend her funeral once the police find her body. Either he would have schedules or his heart wouldn’t be able to take the pain.


 

“There was no body found.” Kai’s eyes widened and he shot up from his seat, slamming his fists on the table.

“What?!” He shouted and felt his manager tug his shirt, forcing him to sit down.

“We looked everywhere. The only bodies found were from three servants and one unknown man. It’s either someone took her or she was burnt into crisps.” The police further explained. Even though he was angry that they didn’t find her, he felt hope.

Please, be alive. He sighed and clutched his chest.

“Kai, what’s up?” Suho and D.O approached him, rubbing his back soothingly as they saw the look on his face.

“Hyung…” Sehun approached him also, a worried look on his face. Kai just smiled at how s tended to him.

“They found bodies. It’s okay now.” He smiles to assure them. Seeing the smile made Suho smile too.

“Come on, I’ll treat you guys to dinner today.” D.O offered. “Spaghetti with definitely lots of cheese.” He chuckled and slung an arm over Kai.

But no…

It wasn’t okay.

Every single month that passed by, Kai went back to the police station to check up on the case. The first month, they said they were still looking. The second, they said the chances are low that she’s alive and the third, the police officially declared her dead stating that they found her ashes already with proof that it was her. DNA documents were scattered on the table and it was a perfect match.

Kai couldn’t believe it but after three months, he was starting loose hope already. For three months he endured sleepless nights and nightmares that woke him up just thinking about her – remembering her smiles, her laugh and her tears. He couldn’t take it. The night the police declared her dead, he cried himself to sleep, touching the bracelet that was on his wrist.

The bracelet held so much meaning to him now and he couldn’t bear to lose it at all.

“Next.” Kai smiled at the person auditioning before him. SM Entertainment was once again holding their global auditions and Kai was asked personally by Lee Sooman to help pick the candidates along with Max Changmin of DBSK and Leeteuk of Super Junior.

“Kai, take it easy on them. That guy was actually pretty good.” Leeteuk chuckled and patted his shoulder.

Kai frowned and smiled at his sunbae. “But hyung, I can’t let someone more good-looking than me enter this company.” He joked and forced out a laugh.

Changmin punched him lightly in the arm. “Pfft. Then no one will enter this company.”

Kai shook his head, laughing as he started to write things down. He heard the door open and Changmin leaned in to whisper something in his ear. “It’s a girl this time.” Changmin whispered but Kai just shook his hyung off. He didn’t bother looking up and continued writing what he thought of the previous boy.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Alice Choi imnida.” The girl spoke and Kai stopped writing. He thought that his ears were playing with him. “It’s a pleasure to be here.” The girl continued and Kai’s eyes widened.

He was afraid to look up. What if it’s her?

“Ah, it’s nice to meet such a pretty young lady.” Leeteuk chuckled. “So, what are you gonna show us for today?”

“I’ll be singing.” The girl spoke again. Kai felt his heart twist and he clutched it in pain. He twitched. This, Changmin noticed. Slowly, he reached for his dongsaeng and patted him in the back.

“You okay, Kai?” Changmin asked, patting his back.

“But before that, let’s ask you some questions shall we?” Leeteuk smiled at her and faced Kai. “Kai, you’re up.”

This time, there was no turning back. He had to face the girl in front of him. She’s dead, Kai. He looked up and he found the same brown orbs staring right at him from a girl that was supposed to be dead.

Slowly, the girl’s mouth formed a smirk and she smiled deviously. “Hello, Kai.”

She’s alive.

THE END