I need you

Suffocating Love

He crouched quietly at the corner of the bench. He hugged his knee pressing it against his chest. His face was hidden behind his long fringe. His small body was trembling from the shock before. He was there alone outside the operating theater waiting for news that may or may not change his life.

 

His only cousin came, panting when he finally reached in front of the operating theater. He looked around, searching for the little boy. He spotted him sitting quietly at the side. He then took the seat beside him. Looking how fragile and frightened Taemin was, he couldn’t help to pull the younger boy in his arms.

 

He wrapped his arms around his shoulder, allowing the younger boy to bury his head near his chest.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m here.” His low calming voice managed to soothe Taemin.

 

“Hyung… I’m scare… I’m really scared.” Tears that threatened to fall had fallen, forming a damp patch on his shirt. He pats softly on his head, hugging him even tighter.

 

“I promise, I’ll protect you.” He planted a kiss softly on his forehead with the thought of calming the little boy and nothing more… Taemin really felt safe and protected in Minho’s arms. The lights turned off and a few doctors came out. Taemin immediately broke free from his embrace and stood in front of the doctor.

 

“How are they?” His voice was trembling not from the cold but from the fear of his future.

 

“We tried our best.” The moment his brain registered the doctor’s words, his leg went weak. He fell right into Minho’s consoling arms.

 

Today was the day that he lost his parents and found the love of his life

 

 

 

It was a week after his parent’s death, Minho moved in to his house to take care of Taemin. Although it had brought some difficulties for Minho as he now needs to take a longer period of time to reach his workplace, it doesn’t really matter now as it’s a responsibility of a guardian.

 

He didn’t know why but the look on Taemin’s face, tells him that he needed someone. He can’t reject it. He can’t let Taemin be alone. Frequently he could see Taemin dazing blankly out the window. As if he was waiting for someone to come home, someone who will never come back.

 

“Taemin-ah? What are you looking at?” His big warm hands made his way to his hair. His fingers combed gently against his hair strands. Minho knew very well who he was waiting for by looking at the direction he was facing.

 

“Nothing, hyung.” He would then continue staring at the door. Minho doesn’t know how long Taemin needed before he would accept the reality but he’s sure he would be there until then.

 

 

 

He doesn’t know how long he can stand Taemin living on as if he lost a soul. He knew he can’t blame Taemin for acting like this. After all he loved his parents a lot.

 

“Taemin-ah, dinner is ready.” Taemin would nod his head, giving a last good look out the window before making his way to the dining table. His parents’ death was indeed a big blow for him, only within a week Taemin had lost a lot of weight. Minho felt bad for Taemin, even if he felt tired of looking after him, he just can’t let Taemin be alone.

 

“Hyung, I want to go back to school.” His eyes were full of sorrow. Would it really be the best time for him to go back to school?

 

“Are you sure?” Minho dropped his voice even softer and gentler. Taemin nodded hesitantly.

 

“No, you are not. Stay at home a couple more days. Don’t worry about your study for now.” Minho ruffled his hair caringly. In Taemin’s eyes, it was all signs of Minho love for him.

 

 

 

Minho specially took a week off to spend time with Taemin, bringing him out to the outside world. As he thought that the outside air will cheer him up. During the ride, Minho wound down the window to let Taemin lean on the car door and enjoy the wind.

 

Looking at how relax Taemin was, he felt worth to take a week off for this. He drove to the nearest beach, since it was a weekday, not much people were at the beach. The both of them then find a shady spot and sat down enjoying the sea breeze.

 

Perhaps it was because of the calm and silence atmosphere, it brought tears on Taemin’s face once again. The beach only brought back memories and times he spent with his parents. Those happy times. Minho wiped his tears with his finger and wrapped his arms around the smaller boy’s shoulder and pulling him closer.

 

“Cry, Taemin. Don’t keep these feelings in your heart.” After hearing his words, Taemin cried even harder. He wrapped his arms around his hyung’s neck and buried his face on his chest. His tears only crush his heart. He tightens the grip around Taemin.

 

 

 

Minho’s care and gentleness towards Taemin really change Taemin. He’s no longer staring at the door. More truthful smile can be found on his face and he doesn’t look as pale as before. It was a good sign, Taemin can move on with his life now. It’s not worth wasting the whole life grieving over something that will never change.

 

Minho was lying on his bed, reading his unfinished novel before going to sleep. A little head popped at the door gap, Minho smiled at him. It then gave Taemin the courage to walk in. Minho put down his novel and turned off the lamp light. Taemin slipped under the thick warm blanket and cuddled close to Minho. Minho didn’t push him away.  

 

“Hyung. Gomawa.” He buried his head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

 

“Anything for my Taeminnie.” He then ruffled his hair.

 

But Minho didn’t realize it was the starting of a tragedy.

 

 

 

It was like the usual night, Taemin walking in to Minho’s bedroom. To Minho, Taemin was like a child that needs an adult to show love and care and he was that adult.

 

“Hyung… I have something to tell you.” He was hugging his bear in his arms when he stood at the door. Minho was actually getting ready for sleep but seeing Taemin had something important to say he decided that he can sleep later.

 

“What is it, Taemin?” Taemin walked closer to the bedside looking down on the floor shyly but not saying anything. Minho can only see Taemin acting all weird.

 

“I… I… I want to say. I-I-I love you hyung.” His cheek immediately flushed red, his innocent eyes were staring so sincerely at Minho. Minho only ruffled his hair thinking that his love was a child to an adult.

 

“I know, I love you too. Get some sleep.” Taemin then frowned. It wasn’t what he expected. Perhaps Minho didn’t really get his message.

 

“Hyung, I really love you. It’s not between brother, it’s between lovers.” Taemin tried to explain again, this time round Minho then realize how serious he was. It wasn’t good. He didn’t love the way Taemin loved him. He only looked at Taemin as a little brother who needs his attention.

 

“Taemin-ah. I think you have misunderstood me.” Minho thought for a little, how should he put his words so that he can minimize the pain inflict to Taemin. Taemin is at the age of a rebellious teenager. At first he felt weird when he didn’t see Taemin getting rebellion, thinking that his parent’s death might have made him mature.

 

It wasn’t this case at all. It was because Taemin loved him and didn’t want to give him any trouble. The reason why Taemin feel in love with him, he blamed it on the raging hormones. 

 

“I’m sorry if I gave you any wrong signal but I always look at you as a little brother and nothing more.” It was the sentence he thought that was the least painful but to Taemin… The pain he felt in his heart was hellish. His sentence meant was that he never ever had loved Taemin. Not even once did he look at Taemin as someone he had feelings for. He felt despondent. Taemin looked down on the floor, not uttering any word.

 

“Taemin-ah, we are both adults. I’m sure you will understand, right?” Minho was afraid that it might bring a second blow to Taemin but was he that important to Taemin that will cause a second blow? Minho didn’t know, he was Taemin’s world. Taemin know clearly that he can’t show his true feelings, it may make Minho leave his life right now.

 

“I understand Hyung.” He managed to force out words from his mouth. He swallowed back the tears in him. Minho ruffled his hair.

 

“Maybe it’s just your hormones that made you confuse about your ual preference.” Minho tried to explain with a scientific reasoning to back him up.

 

“I think so. Huyng, I’m sorry. Maybe I haven’t gotten over the blow from my parents’ death, that’s why I’m feeling weird and thought that it was love.” His words sound so assuring to Minho that Taemin wasn’t crazily in love with him and was convinced by his reason.

 

“I think I better get some sleep and clear my mind.  Goodnight hyung!” Taemin said it so cheerfully but the moment he stepped out, hot tears were pouring out from his eyes. He can’t accept it at all. Not one single bit. He loved his hyung so much, why didn’t he love him back? Why?

 

He can’t imagine how his life will be without Minho. He can’t imagine him with another girl or guy. No. He will never let it happen. He must make him stay with him no matter what.