[song fic] Secret Love

[song fic] Secret Love

*Sakamoto Yuri’s POV*

 
“Sakamoto-san, is there something on my face?”


My definite daze got disrupted by his sweet innocent smile. His pale white skin with beautiful tender hands that can be easily mistaken as a girl captivated my longing sight. To be able to fall in love with this man is quite easy to believe. I can never imagine anyone not liking him.


There he is, Kei Inoo standing before me so near yet, so far…


**


I am Sakamoto Yuri. I’m 17 years old and moved here in Tokyo permanently as my parents instructed. At first, I am hesitant to follow their orders. Firstly because I became comfortable from the place I was brought up with, Philippines. Secondly, I made friends there which I never want to leave behind especially moving to a place where I’m going to start from scratch all over again.


So here I am, watching every movement of a young man in front of me. He’s smiling innocently at my bewildered face as I found him simply cute with his white scarf covering his neck and half of his chin.


“Eh? Hmmm… No. There’s nothing on your face. I was just… hmmm… your scarf is cute.” I struggled to make an immediate excuse and suddenly looked down after seeing how I failed.


“haha… you’re weird.”


That’s all he can say? But yeah… I kinda agree since he often see me stumbles like that every time I talk to him. What can he expect? Seeing him that close with innocent looking eyes directly at me makes my knees numb and finds myself staring a few good seconds on every corner of his face.


“You’re staring at me again… Are you okay?” he, again disrupted my daze with his worried expression.


“Hai… anou, if you’re looking for Arisa-chan, I think she went to the super market to get some things for her mum. She’ll be back soon, don’t worry…” I replied with a half-smile.


By this, I saw his expression glooming down a bit. There was no smile or what so ever after what I’ve said. Maybe he was longing to see Arisa-chan that badly.


“ahh… okay. I guess I’ll just wait for her outside their house…” he said with a fake smile.


I immediately sensed his feeling of disappointment. However, before I even had the chance to let him in our house, an expected someone tapped his shoulder and gave off the biggest smile.


“Kei… You’re here?” Arisa-chan put down her shopping bags and greeted Inoo-kun and me with her sweet greetings.


After that, an immediate grab on Inoo-kun’s sleeve was done and they were headed to the house opposite mine.


I saw their figures fade as they went through their small gate. As they’ve done so, I felt my heart crumple and beating unexpectedly fast. Why? I asked that myself the same question a few weeks ago.

 
Boy you’re so hard to believe 
Boy you’re so hard to believe 


                                 
//Flash back//

“Hajimemae… Arisa desu… Yoroshiku.” a beautiful yet petite girl approached me almost immediately after I met her eye while picking up my things in the van.


I was quite surprised to be welcomed immediately by her presence. By this, without further hesitation, I reached out for her hand which is waiting for me to take.


“Hi… I’m Sakamoto Yuri. I’m new here in the neighbourhood. Please take care of me.” I replied with a friendly smile.


“I will, don’t worry. I heard you’re from another country right? Wahhh… Hope we can be friends, ne?”


I was quite shocked on the sudden information beaming before me. Suddenly, I remembered my mum being friendly enough to all people and maybe broadcasted my arrival to the whole humanity of Tokyo.


*


“Arisa… There you are! I’m here to take my book back!”


Suddenly, two complete strangers walked towards the girl in front of me. I was quickly drawn to these two boys; one with bright blonde hair which I found quite cool, and the other boy with pale yet tender looking skin that matches his bright coloured eyes.


“Ahh… Kei, Hikaru… You’re here? It’s the first time you came to visit me for a long time even though we’re on the same neighbourhood…” Arisa-chan looked suspiciously at the two boys.


“Yes! Because I want my book back which you borrowed almost half a year now!” I heard one boy say.


“Relax! I’ll give it back to you now… geez…” she answered then her eyes were diverted unto my direction.


“Ahh… I forgot to introduce to you our new neighbour… Guys, this is Sakamoto-san and she came back from the Philippines. Cool ne?” she pointed me gently and introduced me with the two boys.


However, without even finishing Arisa-chan’s introductory speech, the blonde guy interrupted and reached out his hand unto mine.


“wahhhh… Kawaii… Hi. Nice to meet you. I’m Hikaru Yaotome. Hope we could be friends…” he said quite quickly which left me with a sudden shock.


Arisa-chan tried her best to remove his hand unto mine that made me give off a soft giggle.


“Sorry about him… etou… this is Hikaru and Kei. They’re my childhood friends and we came from the same high school.” She explained while looking unexpectedly uninterested while facing them.


Then, a sudden tingle in my spine was felt when the other boy offered his hand for me to shake.


“Nice to meet you...” he said with a deep yet soft voice accompanied by a half-smile that is easy to fall for.


I looked at his hand and saw beautifully curved fingers which are even more feminine than mine. I held his hand and shook it slowly then unexpectedly, a series of electric current run down my spine.


I suddenly felt warm despite the cool breeze brought by the nearing autumn season.
What is with this boy?


**


“Hai hai… let’s go then. I’ll give you the book Mr. Einstein… Follow me!” Arisa-chan disturbed my chain of thoughts and grabbed the two guy’s sleeve.


“I’ll see you later Yuri-san…” she continued without looking back.


“I’ll visit you later my dear~” Hikaru-kun teasingly shouted as he turned around on the other direction.


“Stop it, you pedo!!” I heard Arisa-chan shouted at him.

 
// end of flash back//


 
Just a friend 
That’s all I’ve ever been to you 
Oh just a girl 
Who wants to be the centre of your world 



After that encounter, I became friends with Arisa-chan. She’s the first friend I made after I moved here. After her, there’s Inoo-kun and Hikaru-kun who always visit her at home. Sometimes, the three of them visits me after a long hard day.


I only been here for a few weeks but I never felt so welcome by their company. My new friends are a little older than me but that didn’t bother them at all; especially Hikaru-kun who’s making all the fuss about us being so close to each other.


However, I sometimes feel out of place particularly when Arisa-chan and Inoo-kun talk to each other like they’re in a whole different planet. They both seem so close to each other. It’s not surprising that they like one another more than friends.


I, on the other hand feel the same way. It’s been awhile since I had a crush on someone but now, all my feelings are drawn for this one boy in particular.


Inoo Kei.


I was easily drawn to him whenever he smiles at me. Patting my head like child bothered me when I was a kid but when he does it, my heart beats three times as normal. It’s just too bad he likes my best friend. Even though he doesn’t say so, I know.


I can’t equate to Arisa-chan. She’s kind, friendly, smart, pretty and most specially, they’re the same age. Compared to her, I’m just a girl in his sight.


But I ain’t got much to offer 
But my heart and soul 
And I guess that’s not enough 
For you to notice me 
I’m just a girl 
And I guess that’s all I’ll ever be to you 
To you 

 
**


Another day comes by still hiding my feelings to the one guy I devote myself into. Just like those days, Inoo-kun visited our street. Not our house, but the bigger house opposite mine. I saw him patiently press the door-bell waiting for someone to answer.


Me, on the other hand, gloomily watched him in every detail; his dark coloured hair, pale white skin, beautiful long legs. I even noticed that he’s wearing a different scarf from before. It’s just a shame that I can only stare at these things along the side line. Maybe my love for him will stay as a secret – forever.


Arisa-chan finally opened their front door. By this, I found a smiling Inoo Kei. Even though he was facing the opposite direction, I can sense a pink coloured aura surrounding him. I forced myself to pull off a smile. I’m happy enough to see my best friend and my love to be happy together. I love them both to interfere. However, I felt my knees weaken every time I see the same scene then trying my best to pretend everything is okay.
 

I try to smile when I see other girls with you 
Acting like everything is ok 
But ohh 
You don’t know how it feels to be so in love 
With someone who doesn’t even know 
My secret love 



**


“Yuri-chan… I have something to tell you…” Inoo-kun approached me carrying a serious tone of voice.


He then held me tightly on both shoulders and leaned closer towards my face. It felt like everything is getting out of hand but I know for a fact that I like it.


I suddenly felt his warm breath near my cheeks as he pulled me closer to him. It was as if he’s going to whisper something to me.


As my heart beat goes stronger, I struggle to breathe properly. Then, he said it…


“I love you Yuri-chan… please be mine…”


I then felt my heart skip a few beats compared to its normal rate.

Is this really happening?


I was left speechless by his sudden confession but he patted my head like he always do.


“NO!!! He’s mine…” A swift distant shout was heard out of nowhere.


I looked around and saw Arisa-chan running towards us. I saw her dark figure lingering with dark clouds of hatred and anger.


She was about to smack me then… “AHHHHH!!!”

**


 I felt a sudden warm sensation that woke me up after having realised I had a dream. A dream! That’s what it is.


I tried my best to recover myself into a good state then I suddenly found Inoo-kun’s face so close into mine. Only a few good centimetres away from my face were found when I opened my eyes.


“Inoo-kun?” I saw his dark coloured eyes lingered away with a sense of embarrassment.


“What are doing here?” I continued looking at his figure that seems to be further away from me now.


“Eh? Hmmm… anou… I-I just came to check up on you. You fell as sleep on your patio and I got worried since it’s quite cold… You look cute while sleeping.”


By this, all the blood around my body rushed to my head. A chilly breeze kissed my cheeks which helped a lot to show my blushed face.

I struggle to look for words to reply to him. However, he became my hero and sensed the awkward atmosphere within us. What does he expect me to say? I saw his face so close to mine a while ago then the next thing I knew is he’s saying I’m cute!!!


“I have to go now. I’ll see you around ne?” he patted my head and walked towards the exit of our patio (which I realised I didn’t lock).


“Arigatou…” I said softly then saw his brown coloured coat covering me.
 

In my dreams 
I see us both together constantly 
Why can’t you see 
This love that’s here for you inside of me 
Ohhh 

 

**

What do I have to do 
For you to notice this 
You look at her with love 
With me it’s just friendship 
I’m just your girl 
And I guess that’s all I’ll ever be to you 
To you 



“No Kei!!! I think this one is prettier than that one!” I heard Arisa-chan say protesting with Inoo-chan’s choice.


“HAH! I can’t believe you don’t have a taste on these things! This one is better!” he replied indicating an argument.

Both of them continued to argue and even laughed at each other’s gestures. I, on the other hand stayed where I am trying my best not to be seen by them.


I never thought they’re going on a date already. I swear it’s only accidental for me to see them on my favourite shop down town. They’re actually looking at the cute bracelets on the display window. By then, I just imagined myself being with Inoo-kun instead of her. I know it’s selfish for me to say but the sadness in my heart just wondered painfully within the sight of them.

 
I try to smile when I see other girls with you 
Acting like everything is ok 
But ohh 
you don’t know how it feels to be so in love 
With someone who doesn’t even know 
My secret love 



What do you see in her 
You don’t see in me (don’t see in me) 
Boy you’re so hard to believe 
Why do you show her love 
But there’s none for me 
Boy you don’t make sense to me 
Cause I don’t have much to offer 
But my heart and soul 
And I guess that’s not enough 
For you to notice me 
I’m just your girl 
And I guess that’s all I’ll ever be to you 
To you 



**

“Inoo-kun… I like you. Can you be my boyfriend?”


I still can’t get over Arisa-chan and Inoo-kun going out with each other. And now, this?


Arisa-chan asked me to go and deliver another book she borrowed from Inoo-kun a few days ago. She was quite busy to do it herself so she asked me a favour to give it back to him.


However, on my way to his place, I saw an unfamiliar girl carrying a box of chocolates and giving it to Inoo. When I saw the scene, I immediately hid myself.


I didn’t mean to eavesdrop or anything but I realised the girl suddenly confessing her love for Inoo-kun.

Surprisingly, that didn’t shock me. I know for myself that he is very popular. I told you before, everyone likes him.


By then, I felt a few tears rolling down my cheeks. I even cried last night when I knew he was dating my best friend. And now, I see this? Life is just cruel.


I tried my best to listen to what Inoo-kun has to say. I positioned myself as far away as possible but near enough to hear their conversation. I just hope neither of them will spot me hiding.


However, another unexpected individual spotted me.


“OI!!!”


It was Hikaru-kun.

“Shhhhhh…” I immediately gestured my index finger, telling him to volume his voice down.


I saw him peeked at the scene and sighed.


“ahh… another confession huh? A total of 3 confessions just this week… As expected of Kei.”
 
*

“I’m sorry…” Inoo finally answered… “I already like someone else…”


I sudden feeling of relief and pity mixed together. I saw the girl looked down on her feet and avoided any eye contact to the guy opposite her. Within this, I immediately thought about Arisa-chan. I knew Inoo-kun rejected this confession just because he already liked Arisa-chan. On the other hand, me and Hikaru-kun continually listened to their conversation and tried our best not to make any sound and not to be discovered by the other party.


“It’s okay. I already knew you like someone…”


“Thank you for understanding… I commend your courage to tell me how you feel though. Unlike me, I can’t do that. I think my love for her is one-sided. I never had the guts to tell her how I feel… I guess I will never have the chance to confess to her.”


I looked at Inoo-kun’s gloomy expression. He gave off a soft sigh that showed helplessness.


After this, we watched the girl walk towards the other direction, away from Inoo.


**

“YOW! Lover boy!!!” unexpectedly, Hikaru-kun shouted at him revealing our presence after making sure that the girl who just confessed is nowhere to be seen and is far away from us.


I shyly followed his stance and revealed myself to him as well.


“You guys… you- you heard everything?” he asked with astonishment in his voice.


“Yeah… ALL!! Even the part when you told that cute girl that you can’t confess to the girl you like.” Hikaru replied and unexpectedly looked in my direction.


I didn’t say anything but clenched tightly to the book I was holding.


“Should I help you with your confession?” Hikaru continued with a cheeky grin on his face.


“ehh??”


Hikaru-kun suddenly put his arms around me and pulled me closer to his chest.


“Yuri-chan… Can you be my girlfriend?”

--
 
A few instants of awkward stillness filled the gap while he still held me tightly in his arms. I was shocked! Real shock… Hikaru-kun just confessed to me in front of Inoo.


I didn’t say anything but watched Inoo-kun’s reaction.
 
“Yamete Hikaru!!! Okay okay! I’ll do it… Get off her now!!!” he shouted then tried his best to release me in Hikaru’s capture.


“GOOD!! My job here is done. I’ll come back later… Jia~”


**


A small number of good seconds of quietness filled the atmosphere. It was quite breezy at the time but I can feel the nervousness shaking my whole body.


I put all my courage to say something first for the benefit of saving him from the silence.


“Anou~ Congratulations…” I didn’t even think on what I should say. Words just came out of my mouth unexpectedly.


“hmmm… You’re going out with Arisa-chan, right? That’s why you rejected the girl who confessed to you earlier?” I continued still avoiding eye-contact.


“Ehh??”


 
“I saw you both down town a few days ago on your date. You were looking at the cute bracelets in one store. Sorry if I stalked both of you.” I said then gave off a fake chuckle.


“Date? Hmmm… Ah souka…” I saw his eyebrows link whilst trying to think about what I’m saying. He then reached out for his right pocket and handed me a small pink plastic bag.


“Here~”


I opened the bag and saw a bracelet with my name embedded on it. I then looked up in his direction without saying anything.

“Happy Birthday!” he said quite softly.


Birthday? My birthday? It’s my birthday today? I totally forgot… I can’t believe he remembered. I was busy enough to think about being heart broken and totally forgot my own birthday.


Then, he spoke again…
 

“Yuri-chan… I-I like you…

I like you for a while now. Well, I liked you since you first move into this neighbourhood.

I was so happy when Arisa-chan introduced you to me.

I don’t really visit Arisa that much like before. I always visit her now just to see you…

I tried to visit you personally before but I got very disappointed when you thought I was there just to see Arisa.

Arisa and Hikaru actually knew about what I feel. They tried to help me to be close to you but since I can’t portray my feelings as much as I want to, I can’t show you much love as I feel.

When you saw me and Arisa down town, we were actually looking for a gift for you on your birthday. I’m sorry you misunderstood.

I thought you only think of me as a friend. It’s because I have not much to offer but my heart which I think is not enough for you to notice me.
I try to smile when I see other guys with you; acting like everything is ok… But, you don’t know how it feels to be so in love with someone who doesn’t even know… My secret love…”



**
 
Within this, I just felt tears rolling down continuously down my cheeks. My feet felt numb as I can’t believe on what he is saying. I forced myself to take a few steps closer to him but I failed.  All my feelings are drawn to every sentence he told me…


*


“Why are crying? I’m not asking for your answer now. You can reject me if you want…” he approached me and immediately hugged me tight as if trying his best to comfort me.


I just shook my head with this remark.


“No…” I sniffed while still having myself captured around his arms… “It’s just that you stole my line…”


“Ehh??”


“All you said… that’s what I suppose to tell you… I love you Kei Inoo!!!”

After hearing this, he slowly loosened his grasp over me and faced me directly…

I was slowly swallowed by his deep stare before my eyes.


Suddenly, he smiled and kissed me softly on the forehead…


“My secret love ain’t a secret anymore. I love you…”