Living here and now..

Second Chance

        Daiki sat at the school terrace staring at him bento. He had been staring at it for quite sometime as if expecting it to move or something.

" OISHI!!!" he heard someone yell and looked to see Inoo sitting next to him stuffing his face.

" Nandayo?!! are you stalking me?!!" he yelled.

Inoo looked up at him. " eh?" .

Daiki smirked , " Never mind im going " he said picking up his bento.

" Ch...chotto matte!!" Inoo yelled getting up.

          " Your really mean you know that?" Inoo said as the two of them walked through the hallway.

" Yeah...it cant be helped" Daiki replied.

Inoo frowned " Demo doue? " he asked " Is it because you were held back a year?".

" Well...that and something else.." Daiki replied.

" What is it?" Inoo asked excitedly.

" Dont wanna talk about it " Daiki said.

" Hmph...thats the same thing you told Kaoru-chan..." Inoo said.

            Daiki stopped and turned to look at Inoo. " Kaoru-chan.." he said.

" Why do you call her so informally?" he asked.

" I've known her since middle school..." Inoo said.

' middle school huh? ' Daiki thought.

He then turned and continued to walk.

" OI! Chotto!!!" Inoo yelled.

___________________________________________________________________________

            'Ring...Ring...'

" Ah!! I'll get it!!" Satoshi yelled running towards the door past the picture of his dead sister.

He opened the door to be welcomed by a familiar face.

" Arioka-kun..." he said.

The two stared at each other for a while.

Its been almost a year since the two had seen each other and now they didnt know what to say.

Daiki grinned " Hasahiburi ne Satoshi?" he asked punching him lightly in the arm.

" sugoi...your almost as tall as me " Daiki said.

Satoshi smiled nervously as his mom walked up from behind.

Her expression of happiness changed to a neutral one on seeing Daiki. she forced a smile.

" Daiki-kun....hasashiburi ne?" she asked letting him in.

" I think you should pay your respects to nee-chan.." Satoshi said.

Daiki turned to see Rie's photograph and bowed. ' Hasashiburi ne Rie-chan " he said.

He felt a few tears well up in his eyes as he stared at her pretty face.

           " Daiki-kun" he heard Rie's mom call. " Hai?" he asked going towards the kitchen where the two of them (her and Satoshi) stood.

" Since your here...why dont you stay for dinner?" she asked.

" Ah...no thanks...I need to get going" he said.

" Souka....well it was nice seeing you after a while.." she said smiling. " Ne Satoshi? " .

Satoshi nodded " un!" he said.

" I bet if Rie-chan was here she'd probably take an hour to look pretty for you " she said.

" Rie-chan was always pretty " Daiki said smiling. Suddenly Kaoru's face popped into his mind.

" Tanaka-san..." he called as though by instinct.

      She turned around to face him. " Hai? "

Daiki hesitated a bit and then said. " There's this girl in my school and I know it sounds crazy but...she looks just like Rie-chan..." he said.

The two of them blinked in confusion. Mrs. Tanaka then laughed.

" Silly you, you must be imagining it!! No way she could look like her!! " she said laughing.

Daiki gave a hesitant laugh " Hehe...yeah...no way she could look like Rie.." he said.

               Satoshi just held a confused look on his face as he stared at the ground.

Little did the three of them know someone was watching them....

_______________________________________________________________________________

               It was almost 7:00 pm when Daiki left the Tanaka household. Rie's Mom kept insisting he stay for dinner and he finally agreed and ate a full couse meal.

" Itte...." he muttered as he rubbed his stomach and walked past the supermarket.

As he was walking he heard a small shreik and looked to see that a girl had dropped the vegetables she was holding. Being the friendly person he is he ran to help the girl up.

" Daijobu desu ka?" he asked as he helped the girl stand. Her head was facing the ground so he didnt see her face.

" Itte..Arigatou gozaimasu.." the girl said and looked up at Daiki.

Daiki's eyes went wide.

" Rie-chan?.." he said.

" Arioka-san anata?!" Kaoru yelled.

       Daiki then noticed that Kaoru wasnt wearing the glasses she normally wears.

" Ehh? why you?" he asked annoyed.

Kaoru puffed up her cheeks " Well sorry if you were expecting some super hot girl!!" she yelled.

Daiki smirked and looked down at the covers she was carrying.

" Are you sure you can carry all of that?" he asked.

She smirked " I dont need your help!!" she said.

              Daiki grabbed a cover from her hand and walked ahead of her.

" Ne!! Chotto!! " she yelled running behind him. " My house is that way!!" she said pointing to the opposite side. Daiki stopped , feeling embaressed he turned around and walked the other way.

" I knew that " he muttered and walked ahead.

         The two of them walked in silence until Kaoru spoke up.

" Ah...lets rest for a while im tired..." she grumbled as she sat on a nearby bench.

" How much farther from here?" Daiki asked.

" Not much..." she said.

Daiki looked up at the sky. " Im tired too..." he said as he sat down next to her.

Kaoru kept playing with her fingers until she spoke up.

" Arioka-san can I ask you something?" she asked.

Daiki continued to look up at the sky. " sure..." he said.

" Ano...why do you keep calling me Rie-chan?" she asked.

Daiki turned to look at her staring back at him with a serious expression on her face.

   ' Just like Rie-chan.... ' he thought

Flashback.....

     " FINE!! FINE!! I fought with my brother again okay?" Daiki said.

" Yatta!!" Rie said throwing her arms in the air. " Nobody can escape my killer glare!!" .

" Kowai yo!! " Daiki said earning a smack from her.

" Urusai ne!! Baka!!" she said laughing.

Now.........

        Daiki sighed and put his hands on his face.

" Fine I'll tell you..." he said, he then looked up at Kaoru who continued to give the 'killer glare'.

" You look just like my dead girlfriend..." he said.

Kaoru stared at him with a look of disbelief on her face.

" Her name was Rie and she passed away in a car accident.." he began to say but Kaoru stood up.

" I get it..." she said taking the cover from his hand.

" Oi!! Chotto " he said turning her around to face him.

He noticed she had tears in her eyes.

" Im sorry but as long as I have your girlfriends face I dont think we can talk to each other..." she said.

" I think its better for both of us.."

Daiki frowned " Dont give me that sentimental bull!! " he yelled. " Im sick of it already!!"

" Im sorry..." Kaoru said wiping away the tears." I was really rude wasnt i?".

" Ya.." Daiki stammered.

" Lets just start over again ok?" she said holding out her hand.

" Masamune Kaoru desu..lets be friends ok?" she said.

Daiki looked down at her hand and sighed. " Arioka Daiki desu" he said shaking her hand.

" Is it okay if I call you Kaoru?" he asked.

Kaoru nodded " I'll call you Daiki-kun..is it ok?" she asked.

   Daiki nodded and smiled at her.

' Its impossible to keep living in the past, right now the only thing I can do is live in the present

and hope for the best I guess '

  " Daiki-kun iku yo!!" Kaoru said as she went ahead of him.

Daiki smiled and followed " Hai...Kaoru-chan "

____________________________________________________________________________________

Its been so long since I've updated this..:((

So how was it? :))

Please comment!!

-kaze27