» welcome to class

Playboy, Flowerboy

MUSIC.

 

You pushed up the thick square frames of your glasses before leaving the school bathroom. All of the other students were in class -- the secretary had taken you around the school to prevent you from getting lost later on, and even helped you get your books and show you your locker. You rotated once to make sure your uniform was in order before examining your face once more. It's not like you woke make up to anywhere but shows -- aside from when dark circles needed coverage -- but you made sure you didn't look like a sea witch. The stress-induced pimple marred your forehead, but you managed to cover it by pinning your fringe to the side and applying an overly generous amount of cream to it. Picking up your enlarged backpack and the book that you had to take out, you exited the bathroom and made your way to your new class.

Yonsei Academy was the high school of Yonsei University, and was prestigious. At least that's what the tuition suggested. But regardless of the price, a diploma from this place was good on any college application, and since you had no idea where you were going after senior year, you jumped on the chance to come. From the cars in the parking lot, you could tell that most of -- if not all -- of the students were set for life and probably going to follow their parents' suit. Yeah, your parents weren't exactly role models. Frankly, you guys were struggling. Dad put money on bad stocks and Mom wasn't Miss Faithful when she went out to casinos and bars with her friends. Of course you found this all out yourself. Like they'd tell you and your sister this.

Shifting your copy of Norwegian Wood into your other arm, you turned open the door with your free hand. You'd walked in on the teacher's lecture and stood near the closing door. It closed with a click and the teacher's attention shifted from the class to you. She arched an eyebrow at you and you waved. "I'm the new student, ssaem. Kang _____."

"Ssaem?" she asked, then blinked, suddenly remembering that the term was used as "teacher." Turning back to the class she motioned towards the empty seat in the middle left. When you set your books down and the thump stopped echoing, she asked, "Did you want to say anything to your new class?"

Everyone's head turned towards you.

"Hey, I guess. You know my name and all so if you want to know more talk to me."

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw two guys exchange a look that said "You better do it." One, who was tall with blonde hair and a toughish baby face, stood up first. "Sunsaengnim, don't you think we should make her feel welcome by introducing ourselves?"

Other students agreed. It's not like you were in a rush to start class anyways, these kids could take until lunch and you'd just learn what you missed before staying to sleep.

"Ah, good idea Sunwoo. I'll start. ____, I'm your mathematics teacher, Lee Jihyun," she introduced and nodded at the guy to continue.

"Cha Sunwoo or Baro," he said with a wink. "And your class president. So anything you need, come talk to me about it." He nodded to the other he exchanged eye contact with.

"I'm Lee Junghwan~ but most people call me Sandeul around here. You can call me either, okay? It's nice to meet you," he said with a smile. He was shorter in comparison, but had a cute face as well. He seemed friendly enough though. "Jagi you go next~"

A girl across the room stood up. She was pretty, and looked like one of the popular girls you'd see in dramas. Curled chocolate brown hair, double eyelids, manicured nails and a made up face, a few pink accessories -- it's like she stepped out of the TV. "I'm Kim Miyoung," she giggled. She didn't say anything else but waved to her friend. Maybe that's all her thinking capacity allowed her or all she wanted to say. You shrugged and looked at the next girl.

This chick was Barbie supreme and knew it too. She had everything the girl in front of her did and more. Definitely, her image took a lot of time, effort, and money. "Lee Hwayoung. Don't bug me and we won't have a problem," she warned in a sugar sweet voice. She gave a pure white, straight toothed smile.

That threat probably made others nod mindlessly out of fear or nervousness, but you sat up from your relaxed position and returned her smile. "I don't plan on it, but if we did have a problem I'm sure I could solve it easily."

Her lips parted and an irritated sound left them. Some students laughed even though it wasn't a joke.

The rest of the class seemed normal, aside from a few with a king/queen mentality that must have been instilled from their peers or family. You made a note to avoid them if needed. By the time everyone finished, Lee-ssaem had decided on assigning a section to read with a page of problems in the workbook. The time wasted must have taken up a greater amount of work. The bell rang as you packed up and everyone started leaving. Taking out the folded schedule in your pocket, you unfolded it halfway and grimaced.

PERIOD 2: PHYSICAL EDUCATION