Goodbye and a Surprise

A New Home, a New Love

 

 

(In this chapter Eunhyuk is just a random name)

 

Narrator:

Nicole is sitting in the first bench of the church

Priest: “now let’s hear some words from Mr.’s Yong grand daughter, Nicole”

She walked slowly to the podium, with watery eyes, trying to maintain her composure. She looked calmed and elegant with her black dress. She stood in front of the audience, took a deep breath while looking at the big amount of people in front of her; this was the first time she had to talk to such a big audience, and she was nervous.

Nicole: “Words can never be enough when talking about my grandfather. He used to be a great man, who committed his life to the company he created and to me… When my parents died, he became my strength, my family, mi home and my shelter… He gave me unconditional love and taught me how beautiful the world is, even when everything seems to be falling apart. Thanks to him I learned to smile, to fight for my dreams and laugh at difficulties. Now that he’s gone, I will always remember him like a strong, honest, loving and cheerful man with a smile” she made a pause and looked at the coffin, then again to the audience

“I want to thank your presence here, for showing your respects to my deceased grandfather and accompanying me in this moment. And knowing the man he used to be, I’m sure he would want us not to cry, but to smile and celebrate every time we remember the precious moments we spent with him” She looked at the coffin again “Good bye my love”

She said with a trembling voice, some tears rolled down her cheeks while some men lifted the black wooden coffin and took it out of the church to the graveyard. Someone took her arm.

“Nicole...” he said looking at her, and holding her arm very carefully

Nicole looked at him “Hi Donghae” next to him was Lin who hold her shoulder.

“Nicole, do you feel fine?” he said while giving her a worried look

“I’m fine” She said sighting, “This is harder than a I thought”  with that last words, the three of them walked, as they followed the coffin to her family  mausoleum, where her parents were buried and now her grandfather was going to be.

 

As they watched how they put the coffin inside the mausoleum and the priest said some words, Nicole had a storm going on in her mind.

 

“Now that he’s gone what should I do? I need to quit my job in London and take care of the place he left in the company, can I really replace him? I’m pretty sure they’ll think I’m too young, I look too easygoing, I don’t have the experience…” She sighted “a lot of people is going to oppose me, I’m sure of that, but I guess I just have to show what I’m made of” with that resolution she looked around at the trees and saw a middle aged man with glasses, using a black tuxedo and holding a envelope, looking straight at her. She didn’t pay attention to him, and looked back to the mausoleum.

“Would you like to say your last goodbye?” said the priest; he was ready to close the mausoleum.

She gave him a nod, and entered the place where all the members of her family were.

“Well, now that you’re gone, I guess I’ll have a lot of work to do uh?” she said sighting “Now I understand why you always took me to the company when I was in high school. I never understood what you where talking about, but it was nice spending time with you. You never let me have a boyfriend, but I guess I didn’t need one; your love was more than enough for me, and who needs a man when you´re completely satisfied with your life? And I guess I never liked anyone ‘cuz I always compared them with you… jeez, ‘till now there hasn’t been a guy who has your characteristics, but I guess that’s just because you where unique in your own way.”

 She started to wipe of the tears from her face and looked at the place where her parents where “Mom, Dad, now that grandpa is with you, would you please ask him to be a little less jealous?” she giggled at her own words and looked outside where Lin and Donghae were waiting for her to come out “I’ll always love you” She said and came out of the mausoleum.

 

Lin gave her a long hug “Remember I’m always here for you” She said as she released Nicole

 “Yes I know” Nicole Said while smiling “thanks a lot for coming to Korea to accompany me” she said as Donghae came closer to them

“We would never leave you alone in this” he said smiling

“But is a shame we have to go back to London tomorrow” Lin said pouting “But ‘till then, I’ll be here for you!” she said giving her another hug

 

Right after that the priest closed the mausoleum, and the people started coming close to Nicole to give her their condolences. She recognized some of them, some used to work with her grandfather, she remembered some of his friends, and when everyone was gone a couple approached her.

“Hello Nicole” said the man

“Hello Mr. Kim” she said as she bowed to her grandfather’s ex-employee and friend

“Oh dear, you look so beautiful” Said Mrs. Kim “I can’t believe you’ve changed so much while living in London”

Nicole blushed “Thanks a lot, you look great too Mrs. Kim”

“Oh stop that!” said Mrs. Kim while holding her arm “I told you to call me Hyejin”

“Oh, I’m sorry Hyejin” Nicole Said while smiling

“You you can call us if you need anything, ok?” Said Mr. Kim “I know this is difficult, but just as you said: He would want you to smile and remember all the good things you did together”

“Of course….” She was going to continue her phrase while the man with glasses that was standing near the trees came to them and introduced himself

“I’m sorry to interrupt you” he said while bowing “Ms. Nicole, I’m your diseased grandfather lawyer, Lee Yoonsu”

“Hello Yoonsu” said Mr. Kim, the lawyer bowed again and continued: “I know this is a little early, but I need all of you to come to my office right now. Mr. Yong gave me strict orders to read the will to you as soon as possible”

Nicole looked at Lin and Donghae, then to Mr. and Mrs. Kim and then to the lawyer “well I guess my granddad always liked having things done his way” she said while crossing her arms, shaking her head and giving the lawyer a small grin “Yes Miss, he was very clear” the lawyer said

“Let’s go then” Said Mr. Kim while giving Nicole a fatherly look. The lawyer gave them his business card,

“I’ll be going in my car, I’ll see you there in 30 minutes” He said while bowing and leaving the group of people

Mr. and Mrs. Kim explained Nicole that they were leaving in their car, so they said goodbye, while Nicole, Lin and Donghae entered the limousine.

 

“Thanks for waiting for us Eunhyuk” She said at the chuffer “no problem Miss, where are we going next?” he said as looking at her from the mirror

“To Mr. Lee’s office, do you know where it is?”

“Yes, It will take us 20 minutes to be there” He said and started driving

“So…” Lin said looking at Nicole “he was your grandfather’s friend?”

“yeap, he was like a son to him” Nicole said looking through the window

“They look like really nice people” Lin said

“They are…” Nicole said “they are a great couple, I wasn’t very close to them, but the few times I met them they were really nice”

“Yeah… they look so young and very attractive” Lin said while stretching her arms

Donghae started laughing, and looked at Lin “what? Little sis you really pay too much attention to that”

“I was just saying…” Lin said pouting “Do they have a son?” she said giving Nicole a puppy look

Nicole started laughing “I think they do, little puppy” She said as patting Lin’s head “They have two sons, the older one is two years older than me and I believe that the youngest one is three years younger than me… hum… now that I think about it, I never had the chance to meet them”

“oh, that’s such a big shame!” said Lin sighting

“A shame? What are you talking about?”  Donghae said all flustered looking at his little sister with a confused look

“Well, if the older son looks like his parents, I’m pretty sure he must be good looking, and then Nicole could’ve introduced him to me”

“You, little…”  Donghae said as he gave his little sister a small punch on her arm “Do you ever listen to the words you say? Remember that we live in London, how are you supposed to date him? Are you really whiling to have a long distance relationship knowing that he can cheat on you any time he wants? Don’t even think about it!”

Nicole started laughing; she loved to see Donghae scolding Lin, just like a father would do.

“I’m not a little girl you know? And if I decide to have a long distance relationship, that’s my problem!” she said sticking out her tongue

“For me you’ll always be a baby” he said pinching her right cheek

Nicole loved the relationship that Lin and Donghae had, having a brother or a sister was something she always wanted to, but having them as friends was one of the best things she could’ve asked.

 

“We arrived” Said Eunhyuk as he parked the car, he came out and opened the door for Nicole and the siblings.

“Thanks Eunhyuk” Nicole said as she came out and entered the building accompanied by Lin and Donghae.

They entered the elevator and pressed the 9th button. When they arrived at the law firm office, Nicole Saw Mr. and Mrs. Kim sitting in the lobby, she was going to say hi to them when the assistant came to them and announced that Mr. Lee was ready to see them.  Lin and Donghae seated in the lobby, and Nicole entered the office with the Kim couple.

“Nice to see you again” Said Mr. Lee

The Kim’s and Nicole bowed as they took a seat

“It’s nice to meet you Nicole” said Mr. Lee giving her a smile “I worked for your grandfather for almost 10 years, but never had the chance to properly talk to you. Mr. and Ms. Kim thanks for being here” He said as taking out the envelope that contained her grandfather’s will.

“He left you a video” He said turning on the TV with the remote and then reproducing the video

“Hello Nicole, Minsoo and Hyejin” Her grandfather said on the screen, waving his hands and smiling at them. “You must be confused, but I believe this is the best way to say my last goodbye. Nicole I know you are a very smart girl, so all my belongings are now yours; you have a great heart and I trust that you’ll know what to do with all the properties, bank accounts and shares. As of the company, it’s also yours, but there is a condition… Here is where Minsoo and Hyejin are important; I’ve already talked with them and you’re going to live with them for two months” he made a pause and Nicole looked around confused.

 “I know you have no idea what’s this about, but for you to be the legal owner of the company you MUST live with them, you’ll only take complete care of “Parfait” after you live with them for that time. I know it is going to be awkward for you, you are used to live alone but I want you to know what having a family feels like. I trust in Minsoo and Hyejin, they are like my son and daughter, they have good intentions and I know they will take great care of you, so don’t worry, I know they will be great with you. I know this is hard for you, but I know you’re a very strong girl and I want you to be happy; enjoy these two months, take them as vacations, make new friends, find a nice boyfriend” he made a pause with a serious look on his face “you heard right, find a boyfriend. You have no idea how sorry I am for not letting you experience love, but I believe you’re a mature girl and will know how to select a great man, I taught you well... Didn’t I?” He said smiling.

Nicole smiled as she looked the Mr. Kim who was also smiling. “Yeap, everything is ready… I hope you enjoy your time living with the Kims. Remember I’ll always love you and I will be with you in your heart. Goodbye my love” the video stopped and a tear rolled down Nicole’s cheek.

 

Mr. Lee gave a tissue to Nicole and Mrs. Kim who was also crying.

Mr. Lee took the will and started reading it; it said all the properties that belonged to her, and the condition her grandfather gave her for being the owner of the company. Nicole was surprised, she knew that her grandfather was a wealthy man, but had no idea of how big his fortune was. After reading the will, Mr. Lee asked Nicole and the Kims to sign the will, they did and Nicole kept a copy of it. They thanked Mr. Lee and said goodbye as they walked out of the office.

 

“Welcome to the family” Said Mrs. Kim giving Nicole a hug

“Th…thanks” Nicole said confused, she still was in shock, she had to live with some strangers for two months, she didn’t understand it at all, but she hopped that they were as nice as they seemed.

“How was it?” Lin said walking towards Nicole

“I guess it was fine?” Nicole said with a puzzled look “Just give me 5 minutes, I’ll talk with the Kim’s and explain you latter” Lin nodded and seated again next to her brother.

 

“We have your room ready...” Mr. Kim said “so you can come right away and bring your things. When are you coming?”

“I don’t know… He talked to you about this? How?” Nicole was very confused

“He knew he had few months; a pancreas cancer can kill a person really fast. He made all the preparations just in case he couldn’t make it. I was really surprised when he told me, he was like a father to me, he gave me my first job and helped me to create my own business, I’m very thankful to him, and I’m willing to do anything for him. This is my way of showing him my gratitude, it’s nothing compared to what he did” he said in a calmed tone of voice.

“I’m so happy! I will have a daughter” Mrs. Kim said holding Nicole’s hand “whenever you feel ready, we are willing to help you bring your belongings and receive you in our home”

Nicole smiled, she liked that, someone used the word daughter referring to her, she felt her heart warm, and even though she was feeling depressed because of her grandfather’s death, she could feel Mrs. Kim’s love through her hands.

“I have some friends from London here with me, so I’ll be spending some time with them until tomorrow, when they return home. I guess tomorrow’s afternoon I’ll be moving with you” she said with a small sparkle on her eyes and blushing.

“No problem dear. If you need anything just give me a call” Said Mrs. Kim, “Oh, by the way, let’s exchange phone numbers” Nicole took out her cell phone and exchanged numbers with Mr. Kim.

“Ok, now we must leave, Kibum is waiting for me at the office” Mr. Kim said while smiling at her “Welcome to our family” he said while giving her a hug and saying goodbye. Nicole bowed at them and Lin came to her.

 

“So?” Lin said, while Donghae bowed at the Kim’s

“I own everything” Nicole said looking at them

“Wow” Lin said with eyes wide opened.

“It’s a big responsibility” Donghae said giving her a tap on the shoulder, while they walked towards the elevator. “I know you will do a great job Miss Yong” he said as she sighted

“That’s not everything… I have to live with the Kim faamily for two months in order to take charge of the company

“What?” Lin looked at her best friend with a confused face “two months? That’s a lot of time…”

“I know, but it must feel nice to have a family, don’t you think?” Nicole said with a bright smile.

“Well… yeah but…” Donghae said as they walked out of the elevator, he remained in silence thinking in the situation.

 

They went out of the lobby of the building and were received by Eunhyuk who was standing next to the car.

“Welcome back Miss Yong” Eunhyuk said as he opened the door for them, he closed it took driver’s place and asked “where are we going?”

“Take us home please” 

“Yes Miss” he started driving

“Living to months with them, is going to be kind of awkward” Donghae continued saying with a worried tone of voice “and don’t they have two sons? I know that they are nice people, but let’s be honest, you’re a very beautiful girl and I’m worried about that”

“Oh, come on!” Nicole said “I know you’re worried for me but, I’m going to be fine. Right now I have lots of thing to take care of, and I really don’t have time for a romance” They stopped talking about the matter as Nicole assured them that she had everything under control.

 

In the way to Nicole’s house they made plans to spend the afternoon together, and before they could notice, they arrived at the impressive gates of the mansion. The big white mansion stood in the middle of a garden, surrounded by trees and small lake in the right with a beautiful fountain in the middle. Nicole’s Grandfather used to be a man with exquisite taste, reflected in all the details that the mansion had.

 

The car stopped and all of them walked through the entrance to the majestic living room

“I never thought you where this rich” Lin said while looking around the living room, the furniture and the beautiful paintings on the walls, she was completely overwhelmed. Even though she had been a guest in this mansion for a week, the decoration never stopped to amaze her.

“I guess I am… My grandfather worked really hard to obtain all this things; he came from a middle class family, but he started a small business all by himself, and look what he created, the biggest cosmetic products company in Korea. He was a great man” they walked to the dinner table, as one of the maids announced that lunch was ready. They took their places in the big table, and started eating.

“So, you’re one of the biggest heiress in Korea” Donghae said while taking a bite of meat

“Yeap, but I don’t like making a big fuss out of it” Nicole said

“That’s right!” Lin said pointing her fork at her brother “the first time I met Nicole at college, she was wearing some blue jeans, a white tank top and a cardigan, she told me she had a scholarship, so I thought that she came from a middle classed family. After almost two years knowing each other she gave me a VIP pass to one of the most amazing concerts that was held in London, I had no idea where she got the money, so I just asked her if she was involved in some weird things...”

“YES! I remember your face that time!” Nicole interrupted laughing “You looked SO serious! Hahaha”

“I was! You know how worried I was? After seeing my face she explained me everything about her family, and man! I can’t believe that with all the money she had, she lived in such a small apartment! But, I guess she never wanted to brag about it. You sure are something out of this world Nicole, and right now I can’t imagine my life without you. I love you BFF! And I’m SO going to miss you..” Lin said pouting

Nicole couldn’t resist her best friend charm, and smiled at her “I never liked bragging about my money, and even though I lived in this huge house, went to Korea’s best private school, and everything, my grandpa tried his best to keep me away from the media, so most people had no idea how I looked like, until today. I guess now I’ve become a public figure”

“Yes you are miss…” Donghae said in a playful tone “And now we have free makeup and cosmetic products, don’t we?” they all started laughing.

 

Nicole was happy to spend this time with them, and felt grateful to have them with her. They kept talking and finished eating lunch. As soon as they did, Nicole took them to different places in Seoul, so they could take pictures and spend some time together.

They had a great time and arrived very late at night. Donghae was exhausted so he went straight to sleep, while Lin and Nicole had tons of energy, and started talking in Nicole’s room.

“I don’t want you guys to leave” Nicole said imitating Lin’s puppy face

“Oh! But we always have phone, internet… mail, and even smoke signals to communicate… don’t worry about it” Lin said patting Nicole’s head “…and since you are this rich you can visit us whenever you like” Nicole smiled at Lin and started tickling her friend

“You also have money! Or do you forget that your father is the CEO of a big company in London?”

“You’re right! I should come and visit you too” Lin said as she counterattacked her friend.  "be honest with me... how do you feel right now?" Lin Said in a serious way "I know you are trying to be strong, but, don't you want to talk about this? aren't you scared?"

Nicole loked out throught the window "I am..." she said as she rubbed her eyes "..but I just have to be strong, I know that's what my grandpa would want me to do..." she stood up and looked at Lin with a small but sad smile "...this isn't easy at all, I know I have you and Donghae and I will live with the Kims. Maybe changing places, moving to a house where I don't have memories with him will help me, getting to know them, doing different things, perhaps that's the best thing to do. I know that if I stay here all my memories with him are going to hurt me, and going to the company could be worst, I spent most of my time as a teenager in his office" she sighed, and sat down on the bed as Lin took her hand "I need this... It's neccesary. The old man had everything planned beforehand, no wonder he was so succesful" She said smiling again. 
The best thing about Lin is that under all her cuteness, makeup, and maybe shallow comments, she was actually a real friend, she could bring up the most important matters, and just listen to Nicole, all the time, every time.  She then hugged Nicole very tightly, and after a while she stood up and looked at Nicole with a smirk in her face “will you see him again?”

Nicole made a confused face “him? Who are you talking about?” Lin sat on the bed

You know, the boy you saw at your parent’s funeral 11 year ago, now that you're back in Korea, maybe... you can meet him” Lin said whispering

Nicole remembered what she was talking about “I don’t think I will”

“He was your first love!” Lin said covering with her hands.

“I wouldn’t call that love… he just gave me some flowers, a funeral bouquet to be more specific. I don’t think you can call it love” Nicole said shaking her head.

“But you always dream about him! And you told me that when you were little you always called him your prince when you remembered him!” Lin said holding a pillow close to her.

“Are you crazy? It was just me being delusional thanks to reading to many fantasy books…” Nicole sighted “Plus, I have no idea what’s his name or how he looks like, so even If I did meet him, I wouldn’t recognize him”

Lin sighed, she couldn't believe that her best friend couldn't daydream just for a while. She looked at the time, it was almost 1 am, and she had a flight to take early in the morning. “look at the time!... I guess I should go to bed now” She gave Nicole a hug

“Sweet Dreams” Nicole said, as Lin closed the door behind her.

 

Nicole looked out through her window to the garden, and remembered how she used to spend time with her family,  when her parents and grandfather were alive. She smiled and went to bed; she had a lot of things to take care next day, and having sad thought wasn't going to help her cope with all this situation. 

 

___________________________________________________________

AND... THANKS FOR ALL THE ONES WHO ARE NOW DISCOVERING THIS STORY FOR THE FIRST TIME! Maybe you don't know but I was in a HUGE hiatus, but now I'm here rewriting this story, or fixing up some little issues I found while reading it again, and even though I know Kibum is not as popular as he used to be, and he is not in the spotlight as he used to be, I must be honest, he was the first k-pop idol I was biased on. I could just change the names, and use other k-pop idols instead, but i really intent to follow this story the way I had it in mind the first time. Thanks a lot for reading this... I hope you find the story interesting!