Starts to Blur

내가 가지지 못한 최고의 선물 (Best Thing I Never Had)

 

 

 

 

 

- - neun's pov

    The dinner meeting turned out pretty well. Father smoothed over a few issues that would have picked up media attention in no time if he hadn't done anything. I didn't know how he did it. I just pretty much just sat there, behaved and looked pretty. They'd turn to me and ask my opinion on something, lady's touch is what they called it. They wanted some input from a woman, and I was the only one eligible. Or that's what they said. Apparently, the maids weren't fit to answer the question. Men were such foolish creatures.

 

    The entire evening, all Dongwoon did was to shoot me some smirks. He even whispered to me once, asking if I felt itchy.

 

   I nearly hit him in front of the prime minister.

 

   Ga In had been more behaved. She even had the face to excuse herself and Dongwoon. Some maid told me that she scolded Dongwoon in the garden. Huh. Maybe that was why he acted like a real gentleman afterwards. 

 

   He even asked if I wanted him to wipe my shoes. All in all, he was still an idiot.

 

   That evening, after they had managed to smooth everything over, Kim Myungsoo was their topic. They asked father if he was going to change his preference for the House of Park hotel chains. Father had been very set on his answer.

 

   "No. I won't. It would generate some misunderstanding. People like to gossip. They might think that his new administration is lacking in areas and might as well turn their back on the hotels. It hardly seems right to do such a thing to someone who has done nothing wrong." He looked so very serious that Dongwoon nudged me under the table and had a knowing look in his eye.

 

    He doesn't seem to think that he's lame. Dongwoon mouthed.

 

   I rolled me eyes and resisted the urge to crush his foot under the table, the way it was poking against my own. How much would it cost dad if I kicked him then and there?

 

   Shut up, dimwit. I replied, and I nearly got caught by father. He asked me how school was going on for me, and I answered diplomatically - the way my tutors had taught me the moment I learned how to speak.

 

   The meeting ended with my and Dongwoon leaving first to leave the old men to discuss a few matters. Dongwoon and I could only guess what they were discussing: my future husband. Father and I had come to a silent agreement. He would provide the list of men that he approved of and I would choose two out of them. He would pick the lucky fellow. I thought it was time consuming.

 

   Dongwoon thought it was stupid.

 

   "I don't get it! Why does he depend on a list? Nobody depends on a list and last time I checked, he's not nobody! He's the freaking king of Korea!" He mumbled, pacing in my room.

 

    "It makes sense to me. I wouldn't want to be married to someone I hate. I mean, what if I got married to that Chansung guy, the one you hate so much?" The moment the name went out of my mouth, he glared at me. He was in front of me within three seconds and he took hold of my shoulders before he started shaking me.

 

   "Are you mad!? Don't even think about getting married to him. I - he's such a... a... douchebag! Yes, that's right. He says he's fu - freaking tone death but he sings! You hear that? He sings! It's bloody ironic!"

 

   Dongwoon: The personification of the word idiot.

 

   "I only meant it theoretically, you bloody assed hippo!" I pushed him off of me. "Have you even started packing yet? We have to go to Japan tomorrow for your dad's birthday." I reminded him, but he poked my head. Aish, the stupid idiot really wants war! Before I could tackle him though, the door opened. 

 

   "Eh?" I blinked twice. The youngest maid in the palace, Lee Ji Eun or commonly known as IU, stood there. She held a tray in her hands and bowed her head in greeting. She then shuffled to place the tray on the table and she arranged it before straightening once more. She took one look at Dongwoon before blushing faintly and hurrying out of the room.

 

   "She acts weird." Dongwoon merely commented and went on to rattling on and on about why I shouldn't marry someone like Chansung. 

 

   He only shut up when I stuffed his mouth with the eclairs that IU brought in. 

 

   It was pretty effective, if you ask me.

 

- - dongwoon's pov

    I looked at Na Eun as we boarded the plane. She was always so calm and composed whenever we were in the public eye. When you took away the adoring citizens and the cameras, you'd get a wild harpy.

 

    Ga In pushed me forward, and I nearly stumbled against the wall. I scowled at her. "Don't do that, sis." I complained.

 

   She grinned, and shrugged. "Don't want to stop, little brother." She commented, grinning before pushing past me and boarded the plane. Na Eun smirked at me.

 

   "Yes, little brother." She mimicked Ga In's voice perfectly that I had to pinch myself. Was it really my cousin? She, too, passed by me. I was the only one left besides the security guards who were pushing the people back. 

 

   "Aish, stupid family." I followed the two girls inside. I had to sit between them. Asljkfhwlfjdghsdkjfghsldkjg! They hadn't even taken off and Ga In and Na Eun were talking about fashion! I wanted to claw my way out of the chair but the speakers announced we were taking off in a few seconds so what did I do?

 

   "Please please please spare my ears. I don't want them rotting in this plane." I covered my ears with my hands and hoped to fall asleep before the plane took off. I didn't want to listen to leggings and push up bras.

 

   I'd rather stick to imagining bras rather than talking about them.

 

   Totally gross.

 

- - narrator's pov

   They arrived at Japan at around one in the afternoon, with Dongwoon craning his neck away from the girls who were now debating whether platform heels were better than wedges, and if Dongwoon would actually wear stilettoes if they told him to.

 

  Na Eun was easily identified by the press so she smiled, bowed and waved to the people who gathered. Even people in Japan knew her. Dongwoon shook his head at Na Eun and wondered how people easily liked her. People who didn't speak Korean tried to communicate with her, but Na Eun hadn't exactly grasped the Japanese language perfectly; she was still learning yet she smiled and answered with her basic Japanese.

 

   No one noticed that she didn't speak Japanese much.

 

    After having been delayed for a grand total of thirty minutes because of the people wanting to get close to Na Eun, they managed to arrive at the highly revered House of Park, which was Na Eun's favorite place. Ga In rolled her eyes. She didn't exactly like the House of Park Hotels. She preferred the Shin and Sons more, since it boasted a different feel.

 

    Without further ado, they were settled into their respective rooms. Naturally, Na Eun had the best rooms. She was royalty, after all. In fact, the Sons were the only royal family who patronized House of Park. They were the only royals that managed to gain the respect of the former owner. Now, House of Park was fair game to the rest of the royals, now that Kim Myungsoo ran it.

 

   There was also a rumor going out that the said man was present in the building. Ga In wanted to meet him, since according to her opinion, no one could resist her charms. Dongwoon often went against that belief.

 

  So it was settled that the three would meet him that day. His secretary even said that he was eager to meet them. Usually, it was her father who met with owners of different estabishments but today was different. He was still at Seoul, and would head to Japan after two days because of business matters.

 

   Now, all Na Eun had to worry about was what to wear.

 

   She didn't want to ask Ga In. She didn't want to head to the owner's office wearing a dress that showed more than it covered. It seemed mortifying.

 

- - na eun's pov

   What to wear... what to wear!

 

    This was one of the disadvantages of travelling. I couldn't bring my wardrobe with me, and borrowing from Ga in was like selling your body to the devil. She had the figure, yes. She flaunted it whenever she went out. I, on the other hand, was a flat chested, curveless creature. I wonder why we're related.

 

    My phone sounded somewhere, and I nearly toppled over a suitcase of mine trying to reach it. How had I gotten myself in this mess, anyway? Couldn't Dongwoon and Ga In do it without me? They were older than me, after all.

 

    It was a text message from Dongwoon. He was ready to go, wearing a polo shirt and some khakis. Ga In had sent her own message, saying that she was wearing - as expected - a mini dress.

 

    "And I, the future queen of Korea, am wearing my pyjamas in the middle of the hotel room, wondering whether I should go buck instead!" I grumbled, throwing my phone over to the huge queen sized bed and plopping back to the floor.

 

   Before I could go and bawl myself to death for not having anything to wear, I remembered that I had brought something that I'd been supposed to wear last year but haven't managed to. The charity event had been cancelled and I had to finish my physics report.

 

    It was a race against time. I raced around the room after half a dozen dresses had come flying out of my luggage. I had done my own make up, and it was only light. I left my hair as it was, loose around my shoulders. I preferred it tied back into a ponytail but having it loose made me feel like I was important - which I was.

 

    I'd finished pulling on my heels when someone knocked on my door. I peeped into the hole and saw Dongwoon and Ga In outside. Dongwoon was making faces while Ga In was pushing his face away. I rolled my eyes and I snorted when Dongwoon nearly toppled over when I opened the door suddenly.

 

    "Yeah yeah, you're really handsome." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes as I readjusted my bag

 

   Ga In rolled her eyes. "Yes, he's really handsome. He once brought home a dog who felt inclined to taste his face 24/7." It wasn't real, I knew. Dongwoon would have developed rashes. He was allergic to dogs. Darn cute dogs. I tell you, those cute puppies were pretty much effective when it came to blackmail.

 

    We bickered a while before we went up. His office was on the floor above mine, and so we took the elevator. Nothing happened, unless you count Dongwoon making pig faces against the reflective surface and Ga In's fixing several things up. I swear, I could hear her thoughts going 'should I show this much skin? Or should I tug this down?'. Dongwoon could've cared less about his own sister.

 

   Dongwoon knocked on the door once we got out. By then, he'd managed to compose himself. Ga In had on a charming expression.

 

   I had on a poker face.

 

   "Glad you could make it." A voice rang once the door opened. I couldn't answer because I found myself staring into a pair of wonderful chocolate eyes.

 

I didn't know Kim Myungsoo had beautiful eyes.

 

He had beautiful eyes.

 

Beautiful...

 

EYES!

 

ISWEAR!ICANDIEHAPPYNOW!