Chapter 32

Seducing Nerdy Chanyeol !

__________________________

 

Dating Chanyeol was basically dating an upgraded version of him. 
 
Each joke cheesier than ever, each smile brighter, each eyes-twitch twitchier and each moment spent with him, even more painful. It was like love (or whatever you would call it) turned him into some great mixture of rainbows, glitters and unicorn. They say love make people shine, well Chanyeol was freaking dazzling(ly annoying).
That would have been cute (and yet...) if it wasn't combined to an irritatingly overjoyed behaviour which was slowly but surely getting in your nerves. Because been a gleeful kid wasn't enough, Chanyeol was also a child with a prominent need of attention. Attention he tried to get via texts and messages when he couldn't physically be with you. Some people would call it harassement, but Chanyeol preferred to call it « loving care ». So when he managed to get your number (which he had begged for), you got plagued by his « loving care » with cheesy and completely random messages. Not matter what time it was, Chanyeol always had something to text you.
At first, you had thought it was kind of cute, because it was. Receiving texts wishing you a nice day or to sleep well wasn't that  unpleasant. But after the nth message an inappropriately short among of time, you started to feel annoyed. And oppressed. And wishing the deal to end quickly. (Seriously, who sends « If you were a booger I'd pick you first. » to his girlfriend ? WHO ?)
Which was quite paradoxal since you somehow felt attached to him. Kind of. In a way. Sort of. Hum.
Chanyeol was nice (when he wasn't being too Chanyeol). He was always there, ready to make the day better with one of his genuine smile and unweary good mood. Maybe the fact he was your only « friend » had something to do with your attachement for him or maybe was it just the way he was smiling.
It didn't take you long to understand something strange was growing between you two and it didn't feel like just a deal-based relationship. You didn't know exactly what and that was the whole problem ; it seemed like everything was just a big question mark. Things were starting to mix up and it was worrying you, especially how you were feeling towards him. Sometimes, he was acting like a retard, making you want to flip tables. But sometimes, he was making your heart beat abnormality fast. And you knew you wasn't supposed to feel that way when he was just saying « Hello » or when your hands were almost brushing. This was another reason for you to want the deal to end quickly.
 
Aside from Chanyeol, Kai seemed to be the only one enjoy your suffering. Watching Chanyeol following you everywhere, wearing a goofy smile and telling to everyone you were dating was his new favorite show. He was always somewhere, sneakily watching you with a stupid smirk. You tried to ignore him as best as you could, but that idiot knew pretty well how to be made your life a hell with winks and unfunny jokes.
 
Fortunately, there was a good point in this whole masquerade. Now that Chanyeol was yours, you could finally drop the seducing process. All the hair-flips and heavy blinking were now irrelevant. All you had to do was patiently and lazily waiting for the end of the deal. 
 
And that was basically it. Dating Chanyeol was only a game of patience. A little nerve-wrecking sometimes, but mainly patience.
 
So, of course, once you reached a week of not-really-dating-but-still-dating-though, Chanyeol inevitably took the necessary actions.
 
« We should go on date. » He said one day, completely out of the blue, during one of your working session at the library.
 
You didn't even bother to raise you head from your book, already picturing what kind of wide smile he was doing or how sparkling his eyes were. This was the third time this week he was asking for a date. And just like for the previous times, you ignored it.
 
« I'm serious. » He insisted though, his face cupped in one hand, his dreamy eyes looking at you. « It'd be nice. »
 
You vaguely hummed, flipping an unread page of your English book. A date was out of question.
 
« We could go to the cinema. I heard there was a good movie broadcast at the moment. Don't remember the name though. » Chanyeol trailed off. « Or we could go Lotte World. We earned quite a lot of money with our last concert, so this time I'll be able to pay. I always wanted try the Ferris wheel. I wonder what it feels to be so high and to- wait, are you listening ? »
« Uh-uh » You grabbed another book.
 
Chanyeol sighed. 
 
« I'm being serious, you know ? » He softly said, resting his head on his arms. « I really want to go on a date with you. »
 
You cracked a tiny smile, totally aware of the unsubtle line he was throwing at you. But unfortunately for him, going to a real date wasn't a part of the deal.
 
« Chanyeol, » you cut him off. « We need to finish the project, so can you please hurry up ? »
« Alright. » He mumbled, sitting back up on his chair.
 
He grabbed his pen and started to doodling few words on his notebook before making a pose.
 
« Seriously, you don't want to go on a date ? » He asked, heavily insisting.
« Too busy.» You replied, flipping a page of the English book, sweeping away by the same occasion all his hopes.
 
You could almost hear his lips forming a pout in his long and over-dramatic sigh.
 
« Eh ? » Chanyeol complained, from the other side of the table.« Are you sure we are really dating ? Because this doesn't feel like dating. » 
 
You took a break from trying to read the book to look at him. Arms crossed, eyebrows gathered, he looked pretty serious.
 
« What do you mean ? » You asked, even though you knew exactly what he was meaning.
 
Chanyeol leaned against his chair, sighed and shrugged.
 
« Well... » He ruffled his messy hair with a pout. « You never text me back, you're always moody, you don't want to kiss, you don't even want to hold hands, you refused every date I propose you. It seems like you're constantly annoyed or trying to avoid me »
 
The list was too long and his fingers not numerous enough to show how awful you were as a girlfriend. But that was the point ; you wanted to be an awful girlfriend.
 
« I don't know. It just doesn't feel like dating to me. »
 
You slowly nodded, as if you were taking his sadness into account. 
 
« I'm sorry. » You shrugged. « I'm not really good at showing affection. »
 
But maybe it would be better if he stayed mad, actually. The less attached he would be, the better.
By acting detached, you were actually preventing him from a heartbreak. You didn't need any weepy ex-boyfriend after the end of the deal and after witnessing how Chanyeol was acting as a boyfriend, you didn't even dare to imagine how a dumped Chanyeol would be.
Besides, you kind of felt sorry with him. He would probably never know about the deal, but still. Everytime he was spilling out his love for you, it was giving you a guilty conscience. What you were doing wasn't right, you knew it. Chanyeol didn't deserve this and you didn't want him to live in a fake fantasy world with illusions about relationship. Maybe if you were acting lamely, he wouldn't  miss your little romance too much and would easily forget you. 
 
« I don't ask you to be always lovey-dovey. » He said, tilting his head to the side and grabbing your hands. « I just want... I just want to go on a date. Please. Once.  »
 
You tried to take off you hands, but he was holding them too firmly. Crap.
Biting the inside of your cheek, you closed your eyes and sighed. You couldn't refuse all the time. He would realise something was wrong. But the idea of going to a date was terrible. This wasn't a part of your acting-like-a-lame-girlfriend plan. You tried to think of a smart deviation but failed miserably. 
 
« I'm sorry, Chanyeol. » You apologized. « But I'm too busy. »
« Pleeeease. » He moaned with a gross pout.
« I can't. » You shook your head.
« Oh yes, you can. » He insisted.
« No, I- »
« Please ? »
« I'm sorry, Chanyeol. But I'm really busy. » You cut him off a little coldly.
 
Chanyeol's eyes darkened, his smile fading away. Ouch, the giddy lovebird was hurt. Slowly dropping your hand, he quietly nodded, making your heart sank a little.
 
« Alright. »
« Oh, come on Chanyeol... » You frowned.
 
No matter how sparkling Chanyeol was annoying, it was still better than an angry and disappointed Chanyeol. He gave you a half-smile before going back to work, as you wanted so badly few seconds earlier, which made you feel even worst. You pinched your lips, trying to find an alternative. 
Three weeks were left. Only three. You could do an effort.
But going on a date was the worst thing to do. 
You knew it, and yet...
 
«  Ok. » You gave up, rolling your eyes.
« Ok, what ? » Chanyeol asked, uninterested.
 
He wasn't even looking at you, scratching random words on his sheet of paper.
 
« Ok, let's do something. » You shrugged.
« Is something a date for you ? » He replied, still focusing on his work.
 
You closed yours eyes and sighed. Stubborn, was he ?
 
« Yeah, I guess. » 
 
Chanyeol's head raised as he put down his pen. He was wearing an outrageously bright smile as he stood up and put his coat on under your confused eyes. 
 
« What are you doing ? » You asked, frowning.
 
He put all his stuff in his bag in haste, not listening to you.
 
« Chanyeol ? » You called. « Eh, I'm talking to you. »
« Let's go ! » He said with a bigger smile, throwing his bag on his shoulder, ready to go off in search of adventure  
« Let's go where ? » You frowned, confused.
 
One second ago, he was pounting. And now, he was acting like a giddy child.
Someone in the library hushed you.
 
« To that date. » Chanyeol replied, blinking his wide eyes.
« Wait, wow, I didn't mean now. » You mumbled. « And it's too late. I mean it's already 7 p.m. »
 
Chanyeol nodded, adjusting his bag on his back.
 
« I know. But we need to go no, » he said, grabbing your hand. « Before you change your mind . »
 

__________________________

 
When Sehun went to his dance class that day, he found his dance-partners unusually loud. Fooling around in the corner of the changing room, they didn't even notice Sehun presence when he came in even though he had greeted them before putting his bag on the bench. He took off his coat, eyeing them silently. Taemin and Jongin, the best dancers of the group, were randomly dancing, amusing their friend and making Sehun rolled his eyes. These two never stopped, did they ? Especially that Jongin.
Ugh, the only sight of him was enough to make Sehun cringed. The truth was, he didn't like Jongin that much. He never did and would probably never will. Something about him was just irritating Sehun and he couldn't exactly put his finger on it. Was it the way that guy was constantly smirking ? Or was it the hint of arrogance issuing from him ? Sehun couldn't tell. No matter how talented or gifted Jongin was as a dancer, the arrogance was killing it off for Sehun.
Besides, for some unknown reasons , Jongin wanted people to call him « Kai » and, for Sehun, people who wanted to be called by a strange nickname were fishy. Really fishy.
But what was sure was that Jongin was being really loud right now, and it was getting on Sehun's nerves. 
 
While him and Taemin were entertaining the changing room, doing some interpretive dancing or whatever, Jongin's phone fell out from his sweatpants' pocket. In a flash, Eunhyuk, another dancer of the group, jumped from the bench he was sitting on and grabbed the phone with a playful smile.
 
« Oh.»  The guy giggled. « Looks what I've found ! »
 
Jongin (or Kai or whatever that pretentious guy was calling himself) laughed and stopped dancing to stretch out a hand.
 
« Give it back. » He said, hitting the palm of his hands with his fingertips.
 
But Eunhyuk shook his head, already rummaging the phone's content.
 
« Nah. Let me first check if you have inscriminating stuff. »
 
Kai rolled his eyes and crossed his arms while the other dancer « wooo »-ed him.
 
« I don't have any inscrimating. » He assured, but nobody was listening.
 
It didn't take long for Eunhyuk to find something interesting. His eyebrows wiggled as he showed the phone's screen to the surroundings dancers.
 
« Hey, who's that y girl ? »  He asked with a wink. « Can I have her number ? »
 
Sehun was too far to see what was making everyone laugh. Maybe was it another random inscriminating text or something stupid. Knowing Kai, Sehun wouldn't even be surprise and from what he could hear, it seemed like it was the case.
 
« Is that your girlfriend ? » Taemin wondered, looking at the screen.
 
The others dancers began to tease Kai who chuckled and looked away. 
 
« You're dumb » He smirked.
« And you apparently got laid. » Eunhyuk joked.
 
Kai made a strange face. 
 
Taking off his jeans to put something more comfortable, Sehun rolled his eyes once again. Who was dumb enough to have physical contact with Jongin ? Whoever was that girl on the picture, she was surely really stupid.
 
« Actually, » Kai clicked his tongue. « It's even better than that. I have a deal with her. »
 
This declaration seemed to attract everyone's attention. Except Sehun's, who really didn't give a damn about Jongin life.
Well... until he mentioned a name which made him prick up his ears.
 
« She's in my class, » Kai explained, getting his phone back. « She's like a plaything or something to me. Nothing important. I accidently took this picture of her a while ago. At first, I wanted to delete it. I mean, I don't need her ugly on my phone. But she started to freak out so much and made a fuss about it, crying that I wasn't funny and blablabla. But to me, it was hilarious. Really. So I thought I should prolong the fun, you know. So I tried to think of a way to use this picture. And then... »
 
Kai snapped his fingers.
 
« I got an brilliant idea. »
 
Amusement sparkling in his eyes, he looked really proud of himself.
 
« What have you done ? » Taemin asked, curious. 
 
Sehun was too far to hear correctly what they were saying. Smoothly, he came closer to the group as
Kai leaned against the wall, playing with his phone.
 
« I agree to delete it if she do something in exchange. » He smirked.
« Yeah but what ? » Eunhyuk rolled his eyes.
« Did you....? » Taemin exclaimed, doing an awkward hand-gesture to mime his thought.
 
Kai chuckled. The idea wouldn't have been bad. But no. He had standards. Curling his lips into a mischievous grin, he savoured the suspense before spilling everything out.
 
« She must date the weirdo of our school for a month. » 
 
Sehun froze. Eyes widened, bad feeling in his guts. That wasn't good.
 
« Wait, that's it ? » Eunhyuk asked, disappointed and not getting the point of that « brilliant plan ».
 
Kai nodded.
 
« That's it. »
« That's the brilliant plan ? » He asked again.
« Yup. But you have to know that dork to understand how brilliant this is. Seriously, he's really weird. Like a mix of awkwardness, creepy- faces and an abnormal height. »
 
But Eunhyuk didn't seem impressed, expecting something juicier.
 
« You used to be there, » he said, raising a hand above his head to symbolyze Kai's level. « But now, you're here. »
 
He lowered his hand to his chest. 
 
« Oh come on ! It's funny. » Kai said with a laugh, but Eunhyuk shook his head.
« Class is about to start. » Someone interrupted.
 
Everyone stood up, exiting the locker-room in a hubbub.
 
« You're not coming ? » Taemin asked, gently tapping Sehun's foot who was still shocked.
 
Sehun blinked, waking up from his thoughts.
 
« Ah, yes. »
 
He stood up in a hurry, preoccupied. He was pretty sure Kai was talking about you and from what Chanyeol kept on repeating non-stop, you and him were dating. Which meant...
 
« Oh ! » He whispered, not believing it.
 
But first, yes first, he had to make sure Kai wasn't bulling. A question was burning his lips and Kai was only few feet in front of him.
 
« Wait, Kai ! » Sehun called, grabbing the smirking guy's arm.
« Yeah ? » He turned back.
 
The locker room was almost empty. The lesson was about to start. He needed to hurry up.
 
« The hum... the boy you were talking about... » Sehun mumbled.  « By any chance...Is his name Park Chanyeol ? »
 
Kai lifted an eyebrow, a little surprised. He frowned but then smile, happy to finally find someone interested in his brilliant plan.
 
« Uh, yeah. » He replied, smirking.« Why ? You know that freak ? »
 
Well, hum... kind of.
 
 

__________________________