The Best Christmas of My Life

Her Stupid Oppa

 

I don’t know how many hopeless and clueless girls there are in this existing world. I mean, why? After all the hints and the gestures and the moments we shared doesn’t she still get it? Wait, does she know already? Wait… She’s not that kind of girl. A little goofy but she’s still an upright person. She would’ve told me if she knew… Right? Right?

She’s clueless lady (why do I even bother to call her a lady?) and I’m a hopeless romantic. Hopeless Romantic. Tss. There’s a useful term from Jaejoong. Yeah. Hopeless Romantic. That’s for sure.

And yet here I am, waiting for her and to arrive to buy presents for her friends for Christmas Eve. I don’t know what to do with myself anymore. But I guess I’m not the one with the problem right? I have always been trying. She’s the one who doesn’t get it.

“Trying. You’re trying. You’re just trying Yunho. Trying very hard is very different from working so hard.” My friend, Jaejoong would sometimes always lecture me when it comes to these things.

I guess he’s right though. I’m not doing anything in particular to really let her know. All I have been doing is playing charades with myself.

Inserting my hold hands into the pockets of my leather jacket, I looked up to the gloomy sky. Little spots of white started to fall overhead and just then she finally arrived. I stood up straight and greeted her with a complaint.

“I thought you said nine o’clock?” giving her a mean and demanding glare. I just love to . She’s just so adorable.

“Well… I… Had… To… Get… These…” she managed to say in between pants. She showed me some paper bags.

“And I thought I’m here to help you carry those.” I pointed at her things before gesturing her to hand them over.

“Uhm… This… I’ll carry this. You can carry the other stuff oppa.” She gave me a weak smile. Too weak.

I demanded again. “That. Give it.” She shook her head and hugged the bag.

“This. You are absolutely not allowed to touch this.” She furrowed her eyebrows before she inhaled once more before regaining her total composure. “Oppa! You’ll totally help me today right?”

I gave up instantly. I had no choice. She was playing with me. I just knew she was. Her chocolate brown eyes were so irresistible. Darn. I gave a low yeah and before I knew it we were buying in every open and possibly cheap store of the busy district.

Many of the sales women may have really thought I was actually crazy. Looking at my companion, I just can’t help but smile. Today seemed to be like a date. A real one. But yeah, how can a date be a date if I’m the only one who assumes it is one?

Stupid Sooyoung. Why does she have to be that innocent? She did tell me she never had a boyfriend before. And man, would I believe it. Definitely unbelievable if you’d ask me. Seriously with a face and a body and a personality like hers, no one ever confessed to her? Well although her persona might be sometimes a little ugly messy (for a girl her age) … but really? No one has ever dared to confess to her? (Look who’s talking)

After hours of going in and out from different stores we’re done. Well, at least I think we are. Sooyoung counted the bags that’s currently in my hands and mentally checked if there was anything else missing.

I, for one did a quick check on the things we have bought mentally. A Keroro stuffed toy for maknae, a Justin Timberlake CD for Hyoyeon, a red mitten for Taeyeon, matching blue and pink scarves for Yoona and Donghae (which, I just had to point out Donghae did a great job in confessing to Yoona) a charm bracelet for Yuri and Jessica and a pink pouch for Tiffany. That’s everything for the girls (except Donghae of course).

She didn’t forget to buy for the guys as well. She bought a newly released star craft game for Kyuhyun, a turtle stuffed toy for Yesung, a cookbook by a famous unknown chief for Ryeowook, a dog tag for Jaejoong, Yoochun and Changmin, a handkerchief for Junsu, a pack of imported coffee for Siwon and Leeteuk, a cap for Sungmin, headphones for Eunhyuk, imported sweets for Shindong and – upon his request – a pink teddy bear for Heechul.      

“Oppa! We’re finally done!” She clapped her hands together.

Uh. Yeah. I’ve already finished checking but you’re missing one person! Where in the world is my gift? “Yah…” I placed my hands on my hips. “Where in the world is my gift?”

She smiles and fidgets her fingers. “You have a gift too oppa. You’ll have it tomorrow…”

“Well thank goodness.” I sighed in relief.

She smiled and giggled. “So where do you want to go oppa? I still have time until my dinner with Eonni…”

Finally! I’ve been waiting for my turn to have fun.  I arranged the bags in my hands. I managed to hold it with my left hand alone so I inserted my free hand into my pocket. She turned to me a little doze out.

“Yah…” I called her and she woke up from her dream. “Want to catch a movie?” I showed her two tickets for the movie The Grudge Part IV.

“What movie is that?” She leaned in closer. “Eeeeeeeeeeh? No way! That’s definitely a no-no for me! I hate horror movies!” she formed an “X” with both of her arms.

“Aish!... I purposely bought these tickets yesterday.”

“Well if you planned to watch a movie with me then you could have asked for my opinion couldn’t you? It’s not my fault that you went buying the tickets on your own.” She retorted at my complaint.

“Aish… Jinja!” I scratched my head annoyingly.

At that moment I didn’t know what I was angry about. I didn’t know I was angry about her for being so annoying or if I was angry at myself for not asking her about the movie thing beforehand. I hissed and grabbed her hand immediately.

“Yah! Oppa! Where are we - -?”

“We’re going to the movies…” I said without looking back. A taxi pulled over as I waved my hand. I opened the back door for her to enter. “Get in.”

“No way.” She said stubbornly. “I’m not getting in. I’m absolutely not going to watch that movie.”

“Get. In.” I glared at her and finally she deliberately followed.

 

 “Oppa.” Sooyoung broke the long silence that enveloped us during the drive towards the cinema. “You’re not angry are you?”

Annoyed as I was, I had to tell her the truth. Which is, yes, I was annoyed. “I’m not angry.” And of course. I failed. “I’m not angry at all. Sorry for forcing you to come with me.” I said.

Girls are amazing. Really, I tell you they are. They get you mad and annoyed and all but when you see their face you just have to deny everything. I guess it’s in their nature to be able to do that. And of course, it’s in the nature of every pathetic guy to fall in their traps. And for the umpteenth time, I’m falling for her trap.

“Fine. Let’s watch a different movie.”

“Eh? Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you sure about this oppa?”

 

Well, fate has been so good to me lately. Other than three other horror films, there are no more movies to watch. She sighed in agony and finally gave up. “Fine. I guess it can’t be helped.” She declared.

“Ani. Let’s not go anymore.” I said pretending to look at the time. “I forgot that I was supposed to meet Jaejoong tonight…” I really did give in the trap after all; trying by all means for her to avoid watching the darn movie.

Stupid me.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow then oppa?” Sooyoung smiled as she got in a taxi. “I’ll leave first. Bye-bye!” the taxi driver started the engine and pulled off.

“Bye-bye.”

 

“So in the end, you couldn’t tell her.” Jaejoong said as he handed me a can of soda. I called him minutes later after Sooyoung left. Told him to meet me here.

The lights on the riverbanks illuminated some parts in the river. Small spots of white began to fall down. I sat on a concrete bench facing the east side of the city and Jaejoong sat beside me, giving a very surrendering sigh while he did so.

“Man, you really chicken out when it comes to Sooyoung don’t you.” Jaejoong chuckled and opened his can of soda. He took a sip and sighed again. “What is it with Sooyoung that you can’t manage to tell her what you feel?”

“She’s so dense. She’s so clueless. She doesn’t get it at all.” I answered immediately.

“Really…” Jaejoong placed his can and leaned backwards. “You think she’s the one with a problem?” He looked up and sat back up. “Chinggu~ I don’t really think she’s the one with the problem.” With both hands on his tiny waist, he opened his mouth and began to lecture me. “You tell me that you like her. You like it when she smiles because of you. You like it when she hangs out with. You like it when she comes to you whenever she has a problem.” He paused, sighed and shifted his body to the other side. “Why in the world can’t you just tell her that? Am I the one who’s going to answer your feelings? Pu-lease Yunho… You’re much braver than that –“

Before he could continue on and drag things like drugs into his lecture, I stopped him. “Jae… I get. I get… Tomorrow… at Christmas Eve. I’ll definitely tell her. I’ll tell her that I like her. I’ll tell her that I like her ever since she was a freshman. I’ll tell her everything. I’ll tell her everything tomorrow.” Satisfied and convinced in my proclamation, Jaejoong smiled and dropped both of his hands.

“Good.”

“Thanks.”

 

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!” Heechul greeted as he arrived at Siwon’s place. Nine girls and fifteen boys including myself gathered in the warm and cozy house Siwon accommodated us with. Uh. Yeah. He’s rich.

“It’s not yet Christmas Eunhyuk and Leeteuk shouted back earning a hiss from Heechul.  

Eunhyuk and Leeteuk were busy lighting the fireplace and Taeyeon and Sunny were having difficulties in putting the star on top of the Christmas tree. Junsu, Yoochun and Jaejoong were decorating the leaves and the lights of the tree. (Wow, they could’ve just helped the jangshins.) Yoona and Donghae were arranging the gifts stacked in one pile in a corner near the tree. Changmin and Kyuhyun were occupied by the games displayed beside the TV. Really those two, they never change.

Hyoyeon and Ryeowook were trying to finish the dishes they wanted to prepare in the kitchen. Jessica, Tiffany and Sungmin were trying out the piano and singing carols. Shindong managed to follow the delicious smell coming from the kitchen. Siwon, Seohyun and Sooyoung were preparing the table and Heechul was lazily lying on the long and comfy couch. Yuri and Yesung were arguing on what movie to watch after the foods. I, on the other hand was ordered by Taeyeon to take care of the games.  

 

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” Everyone chorused at the ticking of the grandfather clock. It’s Christmas.

Everyone has finished eating except well, of course, Changmin and Sooyoung who were once again bickering over the food. I sat in front of them slightly smiling. I really enjoy watching her eat- except that while she’s eating now, a monster of the same persona but with a much lesser level of cuteness is beside her; distracting me from my view.

 

By the time the two shikshins were done, everyone gathered in the living room. With the fire made by Leeteuk and Eunhyuk earlier warming the place, everyone snuggled together.

 

“My next present is for Kyuhyun-ah.” Sooyoung grabs the box she prepared. Kyuhyun stood up and grabbed the present from the latter’s hands.

“My last present is for Yunho-oppa.” I looked at her direction at the mention of my name. Everyone – the girls – began to giggle and squeal while the boys stared at me with suspicious grins.

Really. What are these guys up to now?

I shifted my attention to Sooyoung who was having trouble looking for my present in her bag. She finally stops and walks toward me. “Oppa. Let’s go out somewhere after here okay?” She smiled as she scratched her head. “I kind of left your present at home.”

“Aish! Jinja! Jinja?” Yoona groaned in a very disappointing tone. She gives Sooyoung a lets-talk-later look to which Sooyoung responded with a hesitant nod. The guys seemed to have dropped their heads as well.

“You seriously left my gift on purpose didn’t you…” I said, trying to avoid an awkward atmosphere. “sShisus… This girl…” I scratched my head and waved my hand. “Fine, let’s go out after here.”

“Oppa!” All of the eight girls gasped together. “You are so kind to our Sooyoungie!”

What the heck? Really this is beginning to get weird. I looked over my shoulder and saw Jaejoong grinning from ear to ear. “What the heck?” I said annoyingly.

 

An hour past midnight every one of us left Siwon’s place. Yoona and Donghae still had a date. Changmin and Kyuhyun apparently had one as well – to the arcade or to Kyuhyun’s house to play with Sooyoung’s gift. The rest of the girls said they were going to hang out in the karaoke. Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu all had dates with their respective girls and the other guys stayed over in Siwon’s house to have to man-to-man talk and maybe get some alcohol.

I followed Sooyoung silently until we arrived at the train station going to her house. She kind of lives from a far place from Siwon’s house.

“The first train in the morning doesn’t begin until 2:00.” She said looking at the rail road.

“Oh.” Was all that came from my mouth. “So… Where do you want to go first?”

“Baegopa. Let’s go eat.” She smiled while feeling her skinny tummy.

 

This girl is amazing I tell you. She can actually eat three bowls of ramen in just one sitting. She even had barbeque to go with it. She’s just so shikshin-y.

“Oppa.” She called out.

“What? You want more ramen?” I checked my wallet if I still had money on me. “Sooyoungie~ Mianhae. I don’t have any money left.” I told her.

“Ani… I don’t want to eat anymore.” She said looking down.

Feeling that there was something wrong I sat beside her. “Gwenchana?”

“Ani… Ah, Yeah.”

“You know it’s really fine. It’s okay if you left my gift.” I said confidently.

Sooyoung groaned. “Don’t be so confident oppa. You don’t have a gift for me as well.” She smiled.

I felt some butterfly going about my stomach just then. She’s really cute when she’s like this. I guess That’s what I like about her. She can be anyone she wants to be. Not caring of others’ impressions. Yeah. Maybe that’s why I like her.

“Gwenchana…” I said patting her head. “This is probably the best Christmas in my life.” I shifted my attention to the other customers who were also enjoying their foods. I like watching happy people. They make me somewhat happy as well.

“I like you too oppa.” I snapped at her direction. Sooyoung was fidgeting with her chopsticks.

“Mwoh? I never said I that I liked you.” I said a little flustered and nervous.

“Oppa… Paboya…” She said. “I’m telling you that I like you then.”

“Jowahaeyo… oppa” she repeated.

At that moment all of my work seemed to have paid off. My heart fluttered as she smiled at me saying that she liked me. Although I never really did anything, something nice still happened to me.

“Nado… Sooyoungie.”

 

 

In your face Jaejoong! I never did anything but things still worked out!

“Saranghae…”

 

 

A/N: What did you guys think? My First YunYoung fic! :P Comment please!