By My Side

You Rescued Me.

 

The young woman sat on the couch, trying to focus her attention on the TV in front of her. Every few minutes, out of the corner of her eyes, she would see the flash of light in the sky and hear the roar of the thunder. Try as she might, she couldn't suppress the whimpers that escaped every time. She was really starting to regret having her own apartment. What 19-year-old live by themselves anyways?! If she still lived with her parents, or even her friends as roommates, at least they would be able to distract her from the noisy weather.

She considered getting off the couch and closing the blinds. Instead, she just tried to keep turning up the volume of the TV to drown out the noise.

After one particular lightning strike, very soon followed by an especially loud, roaring thunder, young MinHee couldn't keep a scream from escaping . She laid down in the couch, shut her eyes and pulled a pillow over her ears. What a headache this was!

A few minutes later, she heard her front door softly opening. Even though her eyes were still closed, she could tell that someone was now kneeling in front of her, beside the couch.

"MinHee... MinHee..." a voice softly called out.

Even though she had a pretty good idea of who it was, she didn't bother opening her eyes, or even responding to the voice. Instead, she just whimpered and shook her head.

"MinHee... It's okay." The voice said again. "It's only thunder and lightning."

"Oppa~" she whimpered. She felt the young man put his hand between the pillow and her head, resting his palm on her ear. The small touch made her feel instantly more relaxed. At last, she didn't feel so alone.

"Do you want to stay with me a while at my apartment? We could watch a movie~"

MinHee weighed the offer. Wasn't it dangerous being with a boy alone at his apartment? Especially at night? But at the same time, it was only KwangYeon. She had known him since their second year in high school. She knew she could trust him. And besides, there was no way she wanted to stay here by herself.

Somewhat reluctantly, she agreed. He helped her off her couch, then grabbed the blankets that had previously been lying next to her and wrapped them snugly around her. He went around the house, shutting off all the lights, locking all the windows and grabbing her favorite Rilakkuma bear from off her bed before returning to her at her front door.

A few minutes later, he was opening the door to his apartment and leading her inside.

MinHee felt a little subconscious being inside KwangYeon's home. She tried hard to remember a time when she had hung out with him alone. Okay, well actually she could. But it was always in public places like a restaurant or the mall. Never at one of their houses.

She decided she might as well make herself at home like she would if others were there.

She watched as KwangYeon went over to the windows, and shut the blinds. Then he went into the kitchen, a few moments later returning with a tray of hot chocolate and snacks.

He set the tray down on the coffee table, then sat down on the couch. Instictively, they both settled back into the couch.

He pulled MinHee close to him, wrapping his arms around her stomach, and gently pulling her head into his shoulder. He grabbed the remote and switched on a movie- her favorite one.

To KwangYeon, the storm seemed to have intensified. Realizing MinHee didn't even seem to notice, he smiled.

About halfway through the movie, MinHee was still in KwangYeon's arms on the couch, but now, they were laying side-by-side.

MinHee could tell she was about to fall asleep. It was rather late and today had been pretty amazing- except for the storm that started earlier. She allowed herself to close her eyes and begin dreaming. But before she did that, there was something she wanted to say to the one who had rescued her.

"Saranghaeyo jagiya."
 

"Saranghae baby. Happy anniversary." He whispered into her ear before gently kissing her neck and falling asleep beside her.