Summertime

Summertime

 

He was sitting on the sidewalks in front of their vacation house. He heard the loud arguments inside which made him turn his music player to maximum volume. When will they stop? He thought, but a bitter smile crept on his face when he accepted that nothing will change. For a teenager like Jiyong, seeing his family slowly breaking apart is probably the hardest thing to experience. Though, somehow, he had force himself to accept the truth…they will never be a family again.

 

 

 

‘Why did I even believe them?’

 

 

 

He threatened his parents that he would runaway if they continue, and they did stop fighting. He saw them smiling at each other and talking casually, no shouting, no cussing, just a normal conversation between husband and wife. His parents even set up this summer trip. And he thought, now that they’re away from the stress of the city, maybe now his family would be quiet. But the peace he was feeling didn’t last long. 2 days after they have arrived, his parents started arguing again. Jiyong dreaded why he had agreed on this vacation on the first place. Nothing is good about summer.

 

 

 

He looked up at the night sky and somehow he felt his heart breaking, his eyes threatening to drop tears. But he had made a vow to himself, never again will he cry. He will not be affected again by this. ‘I will get used to this.’

 

 

~~~

 

 

He doesn’t know how long he had been sitting on the sidewalk, but it sure has been a long time already because his already felt numb. When he was about to get up, he noticed a girl standing beside him handling a bike. He jumped a little thinking that she was a ghost, but then he realized she’s far from being one. opened to say something but Jiyong failed to hear it because of his headphones.

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry?” he asked for her to repeat.

 

 

 

“I said, they’re quite noisy, aren’t they?” She said glancing at Jiyong’s house where his parents are still bickering.

 

 

 

He felt embarrassed of his parents’ situation that he scratched the back of his head before answering her. “They’re always like that.” He sat back to his original place when he finds out his parents are not yet done.

 

 

 

 

“Oh…I’m Dara by the way.”

 

 

 

“I’m Jiyong, nice meeting you.” She sat beside him and looked up at the stars as well after she carefully laid her bike at the side walk.

 

 

 

“What happened to you?” He suddenly blurted out.

 

 

 

“Huh?” He pointed at the small bruise at the corner of her lips. She chuckled and said, “Ah, my grandpa hit me again. You know…the usual ‘you are a great burden to me’ kind of stuff.”

 

 

 

“Sorry….” He felt quite ashamed for asking her. What a totally awkward situation.

 

 

 

“Hahaha there’s no need to apologize. You’re not the one who slapped me. I’m used to this already.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“The old man always beat me up when he feels like beating me up so I’m quite used to it…How about you?”

 

 

 

He looked at her knowing what she meant by that question. “I’m coping up…” he shrugged.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Now it feels like his family issue became lighter topic for him because of this girl he met. Someone who’s troubled like him, she made her feel that he’s not alone.

 

 

 

Their meeting every night in front of his house has became a normal routine. Every time he would hear his parents fighting about the most worthless things, he would wait for her to take his attention away from them. And almost every night, he would notice a new bruise on her, while the old ones are healing, new ones are added. 

 

 

 

“My parents used to love each other very much. When I was younger, we were so happy. But everything changed when my dad was promoted in his job. He got less time to spend with me and my mom, and they frequently engage in a heated argument.” They have nothing to talk about so he decided to tell something about his family. After all, they said telling helps to ease the feeling in your chest.

 

 

 

“That’s why I don’t believe at such thing called ‘love’…” she answered with a stern look on her face.

 

 

 

“Why? Not all persons are like my parents…I mean love is not a bad thing. You just need to understand it and…”

 

 

 

“Still…I don’t think such thing exists….because no one ever made me feel it.”

 

 

 

Jiyong didn’t know what to say so he remained quiet waiting for her to continue her story.

 

 

 

“My father left my mother when he found out she was pregnant. They were not married. And because he’s afraid of responsibility, he disappeared when she told him he needs to marry her. My mother chose to keep me even though she had really a hard time. My grandpa become enraged because of what happened but he didn’t disown my mother. She died after giving birth to me. She was too weak because my grandpa was not rich enough to give her everything that’s needed for a pregnant woman. That’s why he hates me too much. He said I remind him of my bastard father. And he blames me for the misfortunes in his and my mother’s life.”

 

 

 

“But at least he still keeps you, right?” he said trying to lighten up the situation.

 

 

 

“It’s because of my mother.”

 

 

 

‘You should be thankful I love your mother and I know that she would not be in peace if I leave you in the orphanage! Such a worthless granddaughter like you deserves to be disowned…’ She smiled as she remembered what his grandfather said to her. But despite her smile, her eyes showed the deepest sadness.

 

 

 

Jiyong saw her expression and also felt a bit depressed. They share some sort of connection which he can’t explain clearly. All he knows that this girl beside her is in worse just like him. He touched Dara’s head and gently made her lean on her shoulder. As he looks up at the sky, a shooting star passed by. He closed his eyes and made a simple wish….that for once both of them could have their peace of mind. 

 

 

~~~

 

 

He stayed up in his room the whole day. Maybe today is a good day, he thought because he doesn’t hear banging noises outside and loud voices. He looked outside the window and saw the sun about to set. When he felt a bit hungry he decided to go down and look for something to eat. But Jiyong stopped when he heard his parents talking in the kitchen. He eavesdropped on their conversation.

 

 

 

 

“When we go back, I’ll just go to the attorney to finish some documents. The divorce papers will be present in no less than 1 week.” Divorce papers?! His mind went over drive at what he heard.

 

 

 

“But what about Jiyong?” he heard his mother ask.

 

 

 

“He’ll understand…”

 

 

 

 

Jiyong ran back to his room and locked it. He thrashed his bed, throwing his pillows across the room and almost tearing the bed sheets. He grabbed fistfuls of his hair out of frustration. He wanted to scream out loud but he doesn’t want his parents to come running to him. In fact, he doesn’t want to see them now. Finally making a decision, he grabbed his back pack, shoved a few things in it, and went out of their house, with his parents still busy talking about the divorce to even notice him leaving. He didn’t know where to go. Anywhere is fine with him as long as his far from his parents.

 

 

 

Jiyong stopped walking when he remembered about Dara. As much as he wanted to be far away from their house as possible, he went back and waited for her to come. He just can’t leave her, and he had decided…he’ll take her with him.

 

 

 

“Ji!”

 

 

 

He immediately rushed to the girl and held her bike. “Let’s go..”

 

 

 

“Go where?” she looked at him with much confusion.

 

 

 

“Anywhere this bike would take us. I want to go far away from this place. Please, come with me….” His eyes pleading as he stared at her.

 

 

 

She smiled at him and cupped his face, “You know I’ll runaway with you anytime and anywhere…”

 

 

 

For the first time that day, Jiyong smiled. He sat on the bicycle with Dara sitting behind him, good thing her bike is able to accommodate two people. He placed his bag in front of him so that she could get a hold of him properly. She wrapped her arms around his torso and lean her head on his back.

 

 

 

 

“Let’s go…”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Where are we really going?” she finally spoke.

 

 

 

Ji had been pedaling for some time now. He doesn’t have anywhere to go but he felt more relax than ever. If they’re lost, he doesn’t mind. For now, there’s no wrong way, as long as he’s with her. “I don’t know.”

 

 

 

“…Okay…”

 

 

 

He felt his cheeks grow warmer when Dara hugged him tighter. Her warm body close to him can make his heart beat ten times faster than normal, without knowing that she’s also feeling the same. His scent brushed on her face whenever the wind blows and she became more attracted to him. With him, she found a friend she could talk to…someone who actually cares about her. And she had finally admitted to herself, ‘I’m falling for him.’

 

 

 

She felt the grass tickling her feet a little and noticed that they were far from the road. There few more trees surrounding the area and she could see a river nearby. The sun hung low and will finally rest in no less than a minute. They stopped at the middle and she let go of Jiyong. He grabbed a blanket he managed to put in his backpack earlier and spread it on the ground.

 

 

 

 

“So you plan on sleeping here, huh?”

 

 

 

“Sorry I really don’t have any idea of what…”

 

 

 

“It’s okay. This place is lovely.”

 

 

 

 

She lied on the blanket and soon he rested beside her also. Neither was talking, just staring at the sky above them. The sun finally sets and darkness engulfed the place. The moon and the stars were their only light but it did not scare them, instead they felt comfort hugging them.

 

 

 

 

“My parents are already planning to get separated. Funny how I feel so broken when it’s clear from the start that they will lead to that.” He didn’t realize that tears were already escaping his eyes as he said that. He quickly wiped them away, hoping that Dara didn’t notice it. He was surprised when her hands intertwined with his.

 

 

 

“It’s okay to cry. I’m the only one seeing it.”

 

 

 

He chuckled, “That’s the problem. I don’t want you to see me crying. Now I look less manly to you” he pouted.

 

 

 

She pinched his cheek with her free hand and said, “Silly. It’s not bad to cry.  Whoever said that men who cry are gay should be kicked on the . Tell me who said that to you and I’ll beat him up instantly.”

 

 

 

His tears were replaced with laughter because of what she said. “What if I say that it’s my dad? I don’t know if you’ll be able to beat him up especially with that petite body of yours.” He replied with a mocking grin on his face.

 

 

 

“Of course I’d beat anyone who says something bad to you! Well I might cheat a little, but at least I’ll win.” 

 

 

 

They both laughed and enjoyed each other’s company. With her hand still with his, he doesn’t feel cold. His laughter died down when he remembered her grandfather though. “Wait! What would your grandfather do to you once he found out about this? We should go home now.”

 

 

 

He sounded guilty probably he was worrying that her grandfather might hurt her again. “Nah, it’s okay. He’s probably drunk right now. He won’t notice I’m gone. Let’s just go back tomorrow. For the mean time, I want to enjoy this moment with you.” She snuggled closer to him.

 

 

 

‘Aigoo my heart is beating out of control again. How could you do this to me Dara-ah?’ Jiyong thought.   

 

 

 

“I’m sorry Jiyong.”

 

 

 

“What for?”

 

 

 

“…Because I can’t give you any advice about your problems. I’m not really good with that, sorry.”

 

 

 

“It’s okay. Just by listening to me, I already feel alright. And we’re just the same. I can’t give you a proper advice about your problems as well.”

 

 

 

“Hmmm so I guess we’re even?”

 

 

 

“Yep!”

 

 

 

They were quiet again. The crickets sound was the only thing that could be heard. And soon both of them drifted to sleep. 

 

 

~~~

 

 

He woke up when he noticed that the sun have risen already. His lips curved up into a smile as he saw the sleeping figure beside him. Dara’s face was resting on his chest, while his arms are protectively wrapped around her. The intimate position they were in at made him blush but nevertheless very happy. Jiyong kissed the top of her head which woke her up. She rubbed her eyes cutely with the back of her hand while yawning.

 

 

 

“We need to go home now…”

 

 

 

“Can’t we sleep some more?” she yawned for the second time.

 

 

 

“We can, if only you want to get dried up under the sun. Now get up lazy girl.” He playfully pushed her off the blanket and put it back in his bag. She pulled some grass and threw it right on his face. He just laughed at her and got up.

 

 

 

“Don’t you know it’s bad to tease someone who just woke up?” she glared at him.

 

 

 

“If it’s you, then that wouldn’t be a problem.” He chuckled.

 

 

 

“I’m gonna leave you here…” She took her bike and pedaled away from Jiyong who’s running after her.

 

 

 

“Yah! Dara don’t leave me here!!!”

 

 

 

She laughed at him and stopped. “Why don’t you just run all the way back to your house so that you get some exercise for that stick like body of yours?”

 

 

 

“Pssh if I know you love cuddling to my stick-like body” he winked at her when he finally caught up. She punched him in the gut and threatened to leave him again. “Okay, okay sorry. I won’t play with you anymore.”

 

 

 

They finally stopped playing around and went on their way back to their lives. He felt contented and happy. Though their time together was short, the quick getaway was what he needed after all. Last night, he was able to think about his parents’ situation. And he realized that their decisions were probably the best. He doesn’t want to see them getting hurt because of their marriage and maybe their separation would be good for both his parents. Though he would be hurt, he’ll try to endure it for his parents’ sake. They never really did anything bad to him. In fact, they give everything he needs, except being a perfect family that is. His parents love him very much…too bad they don’t feel the same with each other anymore.

 

 

~~~

 

 

When Jiyong arrived home, he was welcomed by his worried parents. His mother hugged him tightly while his father ended a phone call, which he thinks is the police.

 

 

 

“My goodness! Where have you been?! We were so worried when we didn’t find you in your room last night. I thought something bad happened to you because your room was a mess.” His mother began crying.

 

 

 

“We also reported to the police that you went missing. A search party was almost formed for you” his father added.

 

 

 

His conscience was eating him up. He never thought that he would be so worried like this. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what came up in my head after I heard about…”

 

 

 

“About what?”

 

 

 

“You and mom getting divorced…”

 

 

 

They fell silent. His mother stopped crying and looked at his father. “Jiyong let’s talk, okay?”

 

 

~~~

 

 

His parents explained to him about what’s gonna happen. And Jiyong reacted calmly to them. Throwing questions at some point but during the whole ‘talk’ he remained quiet.

 

 

 

“If that’s what you want. Then, I will not say no…”

 

 

 

“Thank you for understanding son” his father said while his mother hugged him. “By the way, you should start packing your things today. We’ll be leaving early tomorrow.”

 

 

 

“That soon?”

 

 

 

“Yes, why? Is there something wrong?”

 

 

 

“Uhmm I want to say goodbye to a friend.”

 

 

 

 

Jiyong waited for Dara that night but she never came. He was worried. What if her grandfather beat her again and she can’t walk now because of the pain? What if she wasn’t able to come home safely earlier? He cursed himself for thinking too negative and for forgetting to ask her where she lives.

 

 

 

He sighed and decided to go back inside their house. He knows that he won’t be able to see her tomorrow. Then he suddenly thought of an idea, he searched for a pen and a paper, and started writing. If he can’t see her tomorrow, he at least hopes she would see his note.  

 

 

~~~

 

 

The next day, Jiyong folded the paper neatly and placed the letter inside the mailbox beside their gates. He taped another paper in front which says ‘DARA!!!’ and hoped that she will look inside the mailbox.

 

 

 

“Jiyong let’s go.” He got in the car and declared his summer officially over.

 

 

~~~

 

 

2 days has passed since the Kwon vacation house became empty again. She had the chance to go out only now. When she passed by his house she noticed her name on the mailbox. She giggled as she can imagine Jiyong shouting her name. She grabbed the letter inside addressed to her and read.

 

 

 

Dear Dara,

 Sorry, again, if I wasn’t able to tell you we’re leaving. I didn’t know where to find you and I don’t have your contact number also. This was the only way I could think of. I want to thank you for everything. Thank you for talking to me that night. Thank you for listening to me and trusting me with your problems too. Thank you for running away with me. And, thank you for coming in my life. You’re the only reason why my summer became very meaningful, and I hope that you feel the same way.

 

 

Have I told you that I like you? No? Well now you know. Hehehe this is embarrassing good thing you’re not able to see me while I’m writing this. I don’t know if you like me too but hey, at least I was finally able to confess.

 

 

I won’t say goodbye to you even though I’m leaving. Whenever I say goodbye to someone, it feels like I’m not going to see them anymore. And I don’t want that. I promise that I’ll come back for you, so you better wait for me, okay? I’m so excited for next year’s summer! I will miss you. See you next time!

 

-Kwon Jiyong

 

 

 

Tear drops fell from her eyes as she read the letter. She folded it and placed it inside her pocket. She looked at his house, probably the last time she would see it. Remembering their memories, she cried harder.

 

 

 

“Goodbye Jiyong…”