Luhan

Chasers

 

It was a particularly humid summer’s night, made even worst by the fact that the hospital air conditioning wasn't working correctly.

It had been an eerily quite night in A&E, probably due to fact that it was too hot for people to do much anything apart from sleep. Yunho glanced at his watch, only 2 more hours to the end of his shift and then a glorious 4 days off. He rubbed his heavy pissed eyes in irritation, he was so tired and this heat was just making it worst.
The air was too thick and the warmth was making him feel fidgety. He heard the soft padding of footsteps and turned, coming face to face with the on duty head nurse.

 "Doctor, heads up, we have a possible hit and run victim on route."

 Yunho shook his head in an attempt to clear the cobwebs that had been developing.

"What's the ETA?"

"5 minutes".

 -----------------------------------

"He was found by the highway?"

Yunho stared down at the small body of the child before him as he spoke.

"Yes doctor. The paramedics say that through he is responsive to light, he is yet to wake up."

"Was there any identification on him?"

Yunho flipped through the chart as he filled in the necessary information to send the boy for an x-ray and an MRI.

"The police said all he had with him was a backpack with some clothes and a wallet with a bank card."

"So that's how we got his name?"

"Yes doctor. Luhan"

-----------------------------------------

Luhan had perplexed the doctors ever since he arrived.
Though he was suspected to have been hit by a car, a logical conclusion considering he had been found in the middle of a busy highway, and despite the fact that he had been bought in coated in blood, he had not a single scratch on him.
And though every single test they ran came back perfectly normal, the boy simply didn't wake up. It was quite frustrating for Yunho, as he sat at the side of Luhan's bed, reading through his chart again looking for something he had missed. Apart from the fact that the boys pulse rate, heart rate and body temperature were a little higher than the norm, there was nothing really out of the ordinary.

Yunho rubbed his temple in frustrating, taking in a hiss of cold air. What he really needed was family history.
That was something else that irritated Yunho, the kid had been in the hospital for over almost 2 years now and still no one had come to claim him.
The Police had released photos to the public, pleading, for anyone with information to come forward. They had even looked into the bank account for the card they had found with the boy. They had only managed to ascertain that the boy had a near unlimited amount of money at his disposal, though no one could figure out where all the money came from.

Yunho huffed in annoyance as he slammed the chart down on the table beside him. He hated feeling useless, and right now he felt utterly "Useless", he muttered to himself.

"You're not useless Doctor" a soft voice floated to his ear. He started and rose from his chair.

"Nurse Kim! How long have you been standing there?"

Yunho watched the faint smile flicker across the nurses face.

"Long enough to see that you are torturing yourself again".

Yunho rubbed his face roughly with his hands as he looked down at the boy, "I'm not torturing myself Jae, I just..."

"Wish there was something else you could do" finished Jaejoong as he slipped his arms around Yunho's waist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yunho rubbed his neck as he walked the familiar path to Luhan's room, he glanced at his watch knowing that right now Jaejoong would be giving the boy his sponge bath and checking over all his vitals, as he rounded the corner to the room he heard a small scream followed by a crash, he picked up speed and pushed opened the door to find Jaejoong standing frozen, a tray at his feet, and Luhan sitting up in bed staring back at them.

After that it had been another flurry of tests.
It was strange; initially Luhan had spoken to them in Mandarin only, leading them to think the boy was Chinese. However when they questioned him, with the help of a translator, it soon became clear that he couldn't remember anything prior to waking up in the hospital. Then, halfway through the conversation, the boy had started speaking in near flawless Korean, leaving the Police and Doctors even more confused than they had been before.

Luhan was just as confused as everyone else. He tried, desperately, to remember who he was and where he came from. But the only thing he could remember was his name and the word EXO.
There were tests every day, blood tests, CT Scans, MRI, EEG, Echocardiographs. Tests to check he really was okay, because, as Yunho told him, no one should survive a car crash with not a scratch on them.
Not to mention he had been unconscious for almost 2 and a half years, it was a miracle Nurse Jaejoong had told him, that he had just simply woken up. And, although he didn't know what a miracle was, he had agreed.
There were questions, of course. Everyday a new detective, or investigator or reporter would come.

“Do you remember where you live?”
“No!”

“Do you remember where you were going?”
“No!”

“Do you know why you were on the highway?”
“No!”

The questions never changed, even though the people asking them did, and neither did Luhan's answers.
 It was a few weeks after he awoke that the nightmares started, 3 weeks to be exact, and with them came the brain splitting headaches.

The first time he had the dream he hadn't even realise he was dreaming, that was probably what made it so terrifying.

He was running along the side of the road, it was so hot that he felt the air pressing against his chest. It was almost suffocating, but he couldn’t stop running. Although he couldn't see the street, he could hear the cars. He needed to get there; he would be safe around others. They couldn't follow him into the light. He could feel them behind him; smell their acrid scent, as his legs worked to propel him further. He felt one of them pull him, immediately making it like he was running knee deep in mud. He turned, just enough to use his still underdeveloped power to snap the psychic string they had attached to him, that done he ran harder. His legs were free once more and he burst forward. He could see the light of the cars, almost there he thought, just a few more feet. That's when the pain gripped him, as they caught him, their thoughts barrelling through his brain. Psychic fingers digging, probing, seeking out the information they wanted. The pain was crippling, he gasped, his eyes clamped shut and his hands flew to him head. He felt everything. Their shocked, then their anger as they realised he did not know what they needed. He tasted his blood rising in his throat long before it burst past his lips, almost drowning him, if they didn’t release him soon he would die. He needed to live, to warn the others, to find him. With a final breath he pushed, the exertion of his adolescent power sending a searing pain through his spine as it careered him to the middle of the road. They were gone now, but so was he, he thought as he crumpled in a heap on the ground. Before he gave out completely he saw him, just for a second, as though he was really there. "K...Kai...”

 He had woken up screaming a blood cuddling scream, coated in sweat, with his head pounding as though it would explode and vomiting blood.