I Guess This is Goodbye

I Guess This is Goodbye

You woke up feeling absolutely terrible today, today is the day Yixing leaves for Seoul. You were ecstatic when he had first told you the news about his acceptance into SM entertainment as trainee. You were extremely proud of Yixing, your boyfriend of three years, he’s been dreaming of this day for as long as you’ve known him. The two of you went from being neighbors to best friends and now lovers. You were there with him when he entered a variety of competitions and you supported him every time he had a performance. This time was no different; you gave him a hundred percent of your support. He had been afraid of leaving to Seoul on his own at first but you were able to convince him to take the opportunity in front of him right away. Why waste time deciding on something you’ll end up accepting anyways? You wanted him to start training and live his dream life as fast as possible. You were confident that you would be able to watch him go and stay strong but as the days you had with one another began to shrink so did your confidence. Your laughter turned into small smiles that were forced and the shining eyes Yixing loved so much were starting to become dull as well. Yixing had noticed this but never brought it up, he was trying hard to cope with that fact that he wouldn’t be able to see you every single day anymore.  With much difficulty you got out of bed and got ready. Only another five hours left with Yixing before he leaves. You finished washing your face and got dressed; you were fixing your hair in front of your mirror when your phone began to ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey, I finished packing last night so I’m free all day. Do you want to go out for breakfast? I’ll come get you now.” Yixing’s voice sounds so empty today. Using the last of your energy you tried to sound happy before replying to Yixing, you didn’t want him to worry.

“Sounds great, I’m all dressed already so text me when you get here okay?”

“Alright, I’ll see you in a few.” With that Yixing hung up, you stared at your phone and saw how happy you and Yixing were in your background picture. Your tears were already forming behind your eyes but you forced them to stay back there. “I have to be strong, this is for Yixing” was the thought that kept you from breaking down.

Yixing arrived at the front of your house within fifteen minutes; he set the break on his bike down before ringing your doorbell. Your father got to the door before you did.

“Oh hi Yixing, are you here to pick up Peiyun?”

“Ah yes sir, I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, not at all. Have fun with Peiyun and good luck in Seoul. I see a bright future ahead of you son.”

“Thank you, I promise to come back successful. I won’t let Peiyun down.”

“Good, that’s just what I wanted to hear.”

You were running down the stairs and noticed your father talking to Yixing; both of your parents were very fond of him. They were like a son to the two of them already and this thought always made you happy. He isn’t just some boyfriend, he’s family.  You made your way to the front door and put your shoes on. You hugged your dad quickly before reaching your hand out for Yixing’s.

“Have fun you two.”

“We will.” The moment your front door slammed shut Yixing pecked your cheeks.

“You look beautiful like always.” You blushed at Yixing’s compliment, no matter how many times he called you beautiful you would blush. Yixing had a way of making your heart race and butterflies form in your stomach.

“Thank you, you don’t look too bad yourself.” You laughed at the expression on your boyfriend’s face, he was expecting the usual, “You look amazing today” but you were feeling playful.

Hands still intertwined you and Yixing walked towards his bike, he got on quickly and slanted the bike slightly so you could get on the back. Your arms wrapped around him the moment you were seated. You didn’t have to ask Yixing where he was taking you because you had a feeling that he’d bring you to the restaurant where he first asked you to become his girlfriend.  Your head was resting on Yixing’s back while he pedaled.

“Yixing.”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.” You’ve told him that many times before but it somehow felt even more meaningful today. You just had the sudden urge to tell him that again.

“I love you too.” Your grip on Yixing tightened as he said that, you didn’t want to let go.

Just as you had predicted Yixing brought you to “Lee’s Kitchen”. The two of you loved the breakfast specials here. You and Yixing spent an hour at the restaurant eating your favourite foods and talking about everything and nothing at the same time. The thought of Yixing going to Seoul left your mind momentarily. As you finished the last of your food Yixing got up to pay the bill.

“Where to next?”

“It’s a surprise.” Yixing grabbed your hand and walked out of the restaurant, leading you in the opposite direction of his bike.

“Yixing, your bike.”

“I’ll come back for it later; we’re walking to get some ice cream first okay?” You nodded your head quickly at Yixing’s suggestion. Chocolate flavoured ice cream is your favourite dessert in this world. Whenever something went wrong Yixing would always buy you chocolate ice cream to make you feel better.

The two of you were sitting on a bench hand in hand while enjoying your frozen dessert. You were feeling much better than how you felt this morning. Yixing always managed to brighten up your day. You were staring at the clouds when you felt Yixing’s finger gently swipe across your lower lip; you had gotten some ice cream there.

“So messy.” You looked down at Yixing and saw him smile, you adored his smile. The way his eyes would crinkle and his dimple always made your heart flutter.

 

After the two of you finished your ice creams you walked back to where Yixing’s bike was. Yixing got on quickly and motioned for you to get on as well. You and Yixing spent the rest of the day biking around town, stopping whenever he went by a place that was significant to the two of you. You guys spent your day at the park swinging on the swings, walking around your high school field, eating a variety of foods and shopped around the street market before leaving for Yixing’s house. He had to go soon. The two of you were sitting in the back of his dad’s car in silence; the airport was starting to come into view. Yixing must have seen it as well since the grip he had on your hand tightened. You looked up at him and noticed that the sides of his eyes were wet. You reached up and caressed his face, wiping his eyes. You gave him the best smile you could make as he looked down at you.

“Yixing, we’ll be together again before you know it. I’ll be waiting for you okay?” Yixing nodded and hugged you; his mother’s tears began to fall when she looked at her son through the rear view mirror.

“Yixing we’re here.” Yixing’s father went to the back to grab Yixing’s luggage and motioned for Yixing to stay with you and his mother.

“Thanks dad.”

The four of you walked into the airport and searched for the entrance to Yixing’s plane. His mother was sobbing by now and his father had some tears in his eyes as well. You decided to give them some space and stood on to the side. You were the only one left with dry eyes. Yixing exchanged goodbyes with his parents before they walked towards you.

“Take your time with him, we’ll be waiting outside.” Yixing’s parents are very understanding people, you had planned to say goodbye to Yixing quickly since his parents were going to drive you home but they knew you wanted more time with him. They treated you like you were their own daughter.

“Peiyun.” Yixing’s voice was shaking and that was all it took for you to start crying. You ran towards him and hugged him tight.

“Yixing, work hard, and don’t give up. Training will get tough from time to time but I believe in you.”

“I will, I promise I won’t disappoint you. I’ll call you whenever I can okay?” You were crying so hard by now that you had trouble talking you just nodded your head against his chest. You pulled out of the hug as the tears continued to flow down your face, you didn’t want to soak his shirt. Yixing was crying almost as hard as you were, he stared into your eyes and reach up to caress your face. He leaned in close and pressed his lips against yours. Your eyes closed as you responded to his kiss.

“Peiyun, be strong and don’t miss me too much while I’m gone. It hurts me to see you like this.” You nodded again, still crying much too hard to speak.

The doors to his gate opened and people started to walk in. You could feel yourself start to panic as the time for Yixing to go was coming closer.

"I guess... this.. is goodbye." Yixing's voice was trembling, his face stained with tears as he looks at the love of his life.

Tears were streaming down your face as you held onto Yixing's hand, neither of you wanted to let go. A loud buzz could be heard as the announcer made the last call for Yixing's flight, this is it. Only your fingers tips were touching now as Yixing inched his way towards the gate, his watery eyes never leaving yours. When your hands finally let go of the other you felt your heart break in two. 

"I love you"