Chapter Twenty-Seven: Liars

Along the Way

I have been lying on my bed, staring at the blank ceiling for who knows how long now. Probably hours. My mind was just filled with so many thoughts, on the brink of overflowing if I didn’t tell someone soon. I can’t talk to the other members, and I have no friends other than other idols. That leaves one person. The one I trust with no boundaries. I sat up and reached for my phone on the nightstand, dialing the familiar number. I listened as it rang once, twice, three times before the kind voice answered.

“Hello?” A smiled broke out across my face at hearing the comforting voice.

“Halmeoni, I’ve missed you so much!”

“Is that my little Soo Rei? Its been a long time since you’ve called your old grandma.” My smile began to fade slightly. Its true. I haven’t talked to her for a while now, probably close to a month.

“Yeah Halmeoni, its me. I want to talk to you about something, but you can’t tell anyone else, ok?” She agreed, and I ranted all my worries and thoughts to her. I spilled all the facts, with no filter on my words. Halmeoni simply listened, humming every once and a while to let me know she was there. I talked about being an idol, and how I tried coping with the stress, and other things similar to that before informing her of Taemin.

She never really followed the media before, so she barely knew who he was which made it somewhat easier for me to talk to her. I could tell she was getting excited as I spoke of our meetings and our date. She even giggled once. I can’t blame her, I’ve never dated anyone before, and she always teased me about boys when I was younger. Though she was like a little school girl at our “cuteness”, she understood why I was worried about the situation.

“Don’t over think it,” she advised. “Just go with the flow of things for now, and if there are consequences to these action, which I think there shouldn’t be, then deal with them in a calm and mature way. I know you, sweetie, and I know you’ll be able to handle it.” She may have been convinced of that, though I wasn’t as sure.

“Soo Rei-ah! You might want to come in here right now,” Hye Su called from the living room.

“I have to go now Halmeoni, but I’ll call you soon.” We hung up and I jogged over to the couch where Hye Su was seated.

“What is it unnie?” She pointed at the television in front of us. On the screen was a photo of me and Taemin after the performance we did together, leaning against a wall as he kissed my cheek. The headline was Lee Taemin and Park Soo Rei caught yet again. This time, it doesn’t look like just another friendly encounter.

“Did these two maknaes lie to us before? They said they were close friends, but this looks like more than that to me. SM has a little case on his hands now I’d assume, and SHINee and A+ fans alike are dying to know if these two are dating.” The journalist signed off to another reporter who announced the comeback of some group. Stunned, I flopped down onto the sofa next to Hye Su and stared blankly into space. She grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. I watched blankly as the screen faded to black.

“That’s not all, Soo Rei. Manager oppa called and said you need to go to the agency. Soo Man wants to talk to you. Taemin too, I'd assume." I nodded absentmindedly, and got up to go to my room again.

I got dressed and left the dorm in a daze, so out of it I didn’t even notice I had gotten into the car and was already in front of the building. I walked with our manager up to Soo Man’s office and we sat outside to wait. Minutes later Taemin came in with his manager and Minho. I didn’t know why he was here, but didn’t question it. I figured there were more important thing to worry about. Taemin approached me and sat in the seat next to mine.

 And again we waited. The silence was disturbing me, so my fingers began to tap against the arm rest of my chair. My nails clicked on the wood, and I noticed Taemin start to get restless in his seat as well, wiggling his fingers and shaking his leg. I stopped tapping my fingers and reached over to hold his knee, halting his motions. He took hold of my hand and turned to face me.

“Soo Rei, I’m so sorry. Its all my fault. I-”

“Shhh! It isn’t your fault. Don’t ever think that.” His fingers clenched tighter around mine when the doors finally opened.

“Taemin, Soo Rei. I think we need to have a little talk.”

 

~Dun dun DUN!