The Chaser

The Chaser

 

~*~

 

This place was new for SungYeol.

 

Not that he hadn’t entered similar abandoned warehouse districts with DongWoo before, but this was still something new mostly because this time he really came here with DongWoo, not just followed him.

 

Like every other night the blue-haired guy took the keys of his motorcycle and his helmet and headed toward the door, yet this time he stopped and asked if SungYeol will come with him. Usually SungYeol didn’t notice other leaving their small, shared apartment until it was almost too late and he ended up chasing after his friend, just like he had done all his life.

 

Both him and DongWoo came from an orphanage and had spent all of their conscious life together. Starting from wandering around the orphanage when DongWoo got scolded to riding along the Han River when they were older though all those times SungYeol ended up chasing after other.

 

That continued when DongWoo left to Seoul almost without warning anyone as soon as he turned 18. As soon as SungYeol could, he followed for reason only he knew – love.

 

That was stupid, plain foolish and unacceptable for him to feel this toward DongWoo, but he couldn’t stop this feeling, which made him to chase after DongWoo in another way in which he couldn’t catch up.

 

But this time was different as he was invited to go with DongWoo.

 

That changed things, making them more awkward as this was not what they usually did. They didn’t ride trough night side by side, they did not reach their destination at the same time and already for a while they didn’t go to an unknown place, beside the place was too light for their ride, as there were lines of lights around it.

 

It seemed that DongWoo also found the place too light and after grabbing a piece of a pipe from the ground, he stood up on his bike and knocked out every single light bulb that was hanging above his head making the warehouse district to become pitch black, apart from the lamps of their bikes.

 

When the dark finally engraved the surroundings things seemed to go to their usual places, as DongWoo didn’t return to SungYeol, but headed to one of the warehouses, making other to chase after him yet again.

 

 

It didn’t take long for SungYeol to reach the specific warehouse as everything here was pretty compact, which was even stranger, as DongWoo preferred places that were spacious and easy to ‘enjoy’, so this was definitely not his kind of a place.

 

SungYeol slowly rode in to the warehouse, which was lit even more than its surroundings before DongWoo altered them.

 

He could swear that there were at least hundred or even more long light bulbs hanging from the ceiling in longer or shorter wires. All of them were so bright that they nearly hurt his eyes, yet he noticed DongWoo’s bike parked near the place where the light bulb ‘maze’ started but there was no sight of he blue-haired guy anywhere.

 

SungYeol pulled over next to DongWoo’s bike and removed his helmet, getting blinded by the lights even more.

 

“DongWoo!” he called out, yet didn’t receive an answer. He only noticed movement in the light bulb maze. “DongWoo?” he asked this time, though who else could be here in the middle of the night.

 

He stepped in to the maze, ignoring the sting in his eyes and slowly moved trough the lamps, yet again chasing after DongWoo. It seemed that some things never changed.

 

Something or rather someone moved behind him throwing shadows and SungYeol turned around, finding nothing more than the blinding light and unease, as he was no longer sure that he and DongWoo were the only ones here or that DongWoo was here at all.

 

He nearly reached the other end of the lamp maze when someone spun him around and pushed him against the opposite wall from the one that had the door.

 

“DongWoo?” he asked in shock, looking at the blue-hair in front of him.

 

“Why?” the other asked, staring straight at SungYeol.

 

“Why what?” SungYeol stared back at DongWoo.

 

“I searched for a place as strange, as unusual for so long to see, if you would follow and you did.” He said with an emotion in his voice SungYeol couldn’t understand. “Why do you keep following me even to a place as strange as this one?” he asked, still holding SungYeol in his place against the cold concrete wall.

 

“I just… We’re friends… Shouldn’t I…” SungYeol stammered breaking eye contact with other and trying to think of an appropriate answer. He knew that one day DongWoo will notice SungYeol chasing after him, but he never thought that he wouldn’t know what to answer when that day came.

 

“Look at me, when you speak.” DongWoo grabbed SungYeol’s chin and forced him to look him straight in the eyes. “Why?” he asked again and his eyes nearly pierced trough SungYeol’s entire being.

 

“This is stupid.” SungYeol murmured and tried to shake of DongWoo’s hands. “Let go of me.”

 

“I will not until you answer me.” DongWoo tightened his grip and pushed SungYeol against the wall even more.

 

“What do you want me to say?” SungYeol nearly screamed as this situation frustrated him beyond words. He was so close to DongWoo in definitely not a friendly way, rather in a way he couldn’t quite explain and his heart was doing flips in his chest.

 

“I want you to tell me why the hell you keep following me all the time!” DongWoo raise his voice as well.

 

“Because I love you, okay!” SungYeol snapped sooner than he thought he would and screamed as loud as he could.

 

“What?” DongWoo let go of other and took as step back.

 

SungYeol bit his lower lip and looked away. He didn’t have even the slightest clue of what was going to happen next.

 

“Repeat what you said!” DongWoo said, his voice sounding a bit strange.

 

“Why?” SungYeol nearly whispered. “You heard it already.” He continued and tried to hold back his emotions, yet after what happened next he couldn’t control himself.

 

DongWoo took a step forward and cupped SungYeol’s face in his hands, making other to look at him. “Idiot.” He said, before he pressed his lips against SungYeol’s, making other to gasp in surprise.

 

SungYeol’s brain just couldn’t process what was going on and was it even happening and he wasn’t dreaming as everything seemed surreal. The way how this nightly ride started, the place they ended at and now this, yet he couldn’t deny how real DongWoo’s lips felt against his, how pleasing was warmth radiating from others body.

 

“It’s my turn to ask – why?” SungYeol said, his voice still quiet, when DongWoo backed up.

 

“You’ve been next to me as long as I remember and you’ve followed a looser and no-good like me, who everyone starting from his parents abandoned, from place to place without any sane reason. How could I not fall for an idiot like you?” he said with a smile that was so rare on his face.

 

“And I will continue to follow you. I swear.” SungYeol said and took step forward, pressing his lips against DongWoo’s and as soon as other responded it was almost like they melted together – DongWoo’s arms wrapping around SungYeol’s waist and pulling him closer while SungYeol linked his arms around other’s neck, bringing them as close as possible.

 

If that really was a dream, SungYeol didn’t want to wake up ever again.

The case he thought he will never win was over and he indeed was the winner.