My First Love

When Cupid Fell in Love with Stupid

 


Chapter Two;
My First Love


 

chanhee

 

   “Hey Chanhee,” my friend, Niel, said as he poked my shoulder.

   “What?” I groaned, annoyed.

   “Do you want to play a game?” He asked, his eyes wide and innocent.

   “No, Niel, I do not. All I want is to go back to sleep.”

   “But we’re cupids, we don’t even need sleep.”

   “Just because we don’t need it, doesn’t mean we can’t have it,” I pointed out.

   He pouted and walked over to the other side of the small room. Almost instantly, he came back.

   “You’re dreaming about her again, aren’t you?” He giggled and playfully pushed me.

   I felt my face redden. “S-so what if I am?” I managed.

   “I knew it,” he teased. “Of all the immortals in the universe, you just had to fall in love with a mortal. Or. . .  is it forbidden love that you desired?”

   I shook my head at him. “Be quiet, Daniel.”

   He gaped at me. “I told you not to call me that, hyung,” he scolded. “And I’ll only be quiet if you come with me. Let’s sneak out of Olympus tonight.”

   I glared at him, knowing that he would not be quiet either way. But as he grabbed my hand and dragged me away, I did not object, I merely followed him quietly.

   The stars were out, and it was probably around midnight. Fresh dew had gathered on the grass around us that tickled my feet as I stepped through it. A thick fog enveloped us which let us see no farther than five meters ahead. Mount Olympus was unusually silent, even for a cold winter’s night like this.

   “Where do you two think you’re going?” A stern voice questioned.

   Niel and I froze in our positions; we slowly turned our heads to see who had discovered us.

   “Aphrodite?” I guessed, unable to see anything except the silhouette of a girl.

   The being stepped closer to us, revealing itself fully.

   “Wrong,” she smirked spitefully, “Psyche.”

   I mentally slapped myself. Wow, I thought sarcastically, you can’t even recognize your own best friend.

   “Where are you going?” She asked in a thick voice.

   Niel answered for me. “We’re going to visit Ceto,” he replied and then he continued down the steep way of Mount Olympus. I followed quickly behind, in fear of getting lost as heavy fog began to increasingly shroud us more severely.

   I felt Psyche trudging slowly behind us and I silently offered her my hand so she would not get lost either. I was afraid of losing them, I wouldn't lose anyone again. Not after I had already lost someone that I’d never had. The pain was worse that way, without experiencing joys; only loss.

   I was surprised that Psyche didn’t question our motive for visiting Ceto; I could tell that Psyche didn’t like her much. Every time a word came out of Ceto’s mouth, Psyche was already scowling. I was never too sure why, exactly, Psyche had such a strong distaste towards Ceto. Psyche seemed to make herself too unlikable for her own good.

   Psyche gripped my hand tighter as we neared a slippery area. Though we were cupids and immortal, we were not invincible or fearless. I reached my other hand forward, searching for Niel’s. Once I grasped it I felt safer.

   Finally, we neared the bottom of the mountain. My heart beat slightly faster as I thought about her. We were so close now, I felt as though I could almost touch her soft, flawless, pale face. I shook my head. Stop thinking about her, I commanded myself.

   When I came back into reality, I realized that we were already underwater and had nearly reached Ceto’s abode. I could see it in the distance, a small-looking sea cave with coral and moss growing all around it that hid the beautiful garden and crystals that were inside.

   Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I remembered the awkward conversation that Ceto and I had most recently had. “Don’t tell Psyche,” her eerie, melodic tune rehearsed itself in my mind. Ceto’s frighteningly pretty smile that had accompanied the saying was embedded into my mind as well.

   Niel led us into the dark cave, uninvited. Psyche and I followed closely behind. Long tentacle-like seaweed hung from the ceiling of the cave entrance and kept small unwanted creatures out. I noticed that Ceto had taken in some starfish and other “pretty” sea creatures and placed them around as decorations.

   “Ceto,” Niel called into the dark cave.

   “I’m in the back,” her eerie arioso voice echoed throughout the cave.

   Psyche and I followed Niel into the large circular room that we knew so well. The cave ceiling had a sea glass sunroof that showed all of the angler fish floating about like stars, endless shelves filled with treasures and knickknacks of sorts surrounded the cave walls, vibrantly coloured fish swam around happily; nothing had changed, especially the random passed out man on the soft pinkish clam bed.

   We hadn’t seen Ceto for nearly six months, but we saw that her bad habit was still being attended to. Ceto had somewhat of a for bringing home different men every time she could. She would lure them in with her creepily beautiful singing voice and good looks. And after doing whatever she wanted to them, she would wipe their memory clean and send them back up to the surface.

   “Take a seat,” Ceto offered gesturing towards her couch. Niel and I listened obediently but Psyche stood awkwardly at the entrance.

   I smiled at her and pleaded with my eyes for her to finally trust Ceto for once. She hesitated, but eventually came over to sit beside me.

   Ceto ignored her and sat in between Niel and me. She had taken a liking to me since our first meeting. I wasn’t sure why, exactly. Niel told me it was because I was too likable for my own good. I wasn’t sure if I believed him, or else wouldn’t she like me by now? Although that wasn’t a fair question seeing as she hadn’t even met me yet.

   “What is it, my dears?” She asked, looking only at Niel and me.

   “Can’t we come and see our favourite lady friend without being questioned?” Niel teased.

   She giggled, but not like Psyche giggled. When Ceto laughed in any way, the sound was as though it was emitted by a dolphin. It was more of a squeal than a giggle, but that’s not how it was intended.

   Psyche rolled her eyes but kept shut. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that she was balling up her fists.

   “No, honestly,” Ceto’s songlike voice whispered softly. Looking me straight in the eyes she said, “I sense there’s something you need to tell to me.”

   I vigorously shook my head but it was no use. “I think your feelings have grown even stronger from when I last saw you, dear Chanhee,” she went on. I held a finger to my lips, signaling for her to stop. Niel’s eyes were wide with curiosity. He already knew what Ceto was speaking of; he just wanted to see the reaction that I had so wished to avoid.

   Ceto realized this and tilted her head slightly to the right, “you haven’t told her yet?” She let out a squeal of laughter. “Loyal boy, ‘don’t tell Psyche’. You really listened, did you? Are you sure you’re not in love with me, now?” She teased, quoting her own words.

   I gulped, knowing that this attack wasn’t aimed at me, but at Psyche who looked up at me with a different curiosity from Niel’s.

   “My dear,” she began, grasping my hand. “You need to tell her. Find a way to be with her, because as I see it, now is your only chance. Snatch it before some other lucky man does. Joohee has a golden heart; something rare in both immortals and mortals. Do what you need to do; because I tell you, she is worth it.

   I flinched at the sound of her name. Joohee, my first love.

a/n:

yay! so i think this story is getting off to a pretty good start.
i didn't put an author's note last time because i just didn't.
anyways, thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing! :)